Wii Redesign Inbound (Not coming to NA?)

Interesting.

You would think that with the removal of GC support they would give the slimmed Wii another price cut.

ss_preview_i304113_x1200_y1200_q100_a1_r1_h4911650115122519773.jpg.jpg

In case anyone was interested.

Thanks antlp89. I was excited until I saw the actual "redesign" and lack of backwards compatibility.

[quote name='RealDeals']This and that PSP with no wifi announced in the same day.... Damn I feel bad for you Europe :booty:[/QUOTE]

The difference between this and that is that there's no point for the PSP to lose wifi because it can interact with the PS Store and download some PSP games.

The thing out of this that I can't understand is WHY they're putting Wii Sports back in the box. Truly, truly baffling.

EDIT:
Also just found out they're going to release Wii Fit Plus with a Black Balance Board. I am confused as ever.

[quote name='KingBroly']The difference between this and that is that there's no point for the PSP to lose wifi because it can interact with the PS Store and download some PSP games.

The thing out of this that I can't understand is WHY they're putting Wii Sports back in the box. Truly, truly baffling.

EDIT:
Also just found out they're going to release Wii Fit Plus with a Black Balance Board. I am confused as ever.[/QUOTE]

This is actually worse than the wifi-less PSP. You can still connect to PSN through a PS3. The BC was a really cool feature on the Wii. No longer had to carry that purple lunchbox around to play GC games :lol:

[quote name='RealDeals']This is actually worse than the wifi-less PSP. You can still connect to PSN through a PS3. The BC was a really cool feature on the Wii. No longer had to carry that purple lunchbox around to play GC games :lol:[/QUOTE]

Wii still has wi-fi. The new PSP will have to rely on a secondary device in order to download games if people want them. Not everyone has a PS3, so you can't count on them to be able to download games that way, especially when some games can now only be gotten that way.

White only? No price drop? No Japanese model confirmed?

Pass for now. I kept buying and selling Wii; did it three times. If I can snag a J-model of this in black for like $150-ish or a white for $100-ish I will bite. As of right now I was planning on WiiU being my last home console and was planning on playing nothing but Wii titles until the library picked up a bit but...I am getting antsy about Skyward Sword.

Closing thought: fuck Wii Sports but I'll gladly snag all the Wii Sports Resorts stamps again.

edit: Any word on if this will reduce power consumption?

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='KingBroly']Wii still has wi-fi. The new PSP will have to rely on a secondary device in order to download games if people want them. Not everyone has a PS3, so you can't count on them to be able to download games that way, especially when some games can now only be gotten that way.[/QUOTE]My first thought with the new PSP was the lack of multiplayer. It's going to be frustrating for some kid trying to turn on the wifi switch when there isn't one.

I don't understand what the big deal about it not coming to North America if the Wii U is coming soon and this one has less features then a standard Wii.

I think it's PR speak. Notice they say 'Bundle' and not 'System' meaning we'll probably get an entirely new bundle that's not that.

Then again, NOA's PR just plain sucks, and has since Cammie left.

Did they really need to do a wii slim? And wtf...no gamecube support? No gamecube CONTROLLER support? I guess Nintendo is pissed off that they sold so many copies of Smash Bros Brawl, and would like people to stop buying them.

Sure, why not? They're probably gonna sell another 10+ million for the console's life time so they might as well take out components that the majority of people really don't use and reduce production/shipping costs.

I think it's coming out everywhere, because I don't see the point in Nintendo have 2 production lines for Wii. My guess is the bundles will be different and there will be a silent change/announcement closer to launch.

What is so special about this redesign? I can't tell from the pictures except what people here are saying that it is slimmer than the original Wii.

I'm still leaning towards the current Mario Kart Wii bundle at $135. Although, I feel that Wii Sports should be given away with every console since I've heard that it is just a tech demo of what the Wii can do. I don't think it is worth $20 new as a Nintendo Select or $10 used. Especially, when there are games like Zelda:Twilight Princess and Animal Crossing as part of the same Nintendo Select line up.

I have Fire Emblem on the Gamecube, there is supposedly a few extras from transferring save data from the Gamecube version to the Wii version of Fire Emblem via a Gamecube memory card.

I'm guessing this newer model will/should cost the same, $129.XX-$135.XX. If there are no significant improvements except for aesthetics/space saving, then I'll get the older model with Mario Kart.

Wii Sports is more than a tech demo and it is actually a very good game. In fact in Japan it was sold separately. If you want a tech demo look at Kinect Adventure

Wii Sports is indeed a very good game. While the base content is very shallow, you'll play everything multiple times because it is somewhat addicting.

[quote name='anotherpoorgamer']What is so special about this redesign?[/QUOTE]

It's going to save Nintendo a lot of money. There was a lot of speculation on GAF that it will enable Nintendo to drop the Wii's price to less than $100 by the end of 2013 and keep it on store shelves along with WiiU. This would kind of be like how PS2 has stayed on shelves for years after PS3 released.

[quote name='cochesecochese']It's going to save Nintendo a lot of money. There was a lot of speculation on GAF that it will enable Nintendo to drop the Wii's price to less than $100 by the end of 2013 and keep it on store shelves along with WiiU. This would kind of be like how PS2 has stayed on shelves for years after PS3 released.[/QUOTE]

So, could this mean that the WiiU won't be able to play Wii games? Or could Nintendo pull a Sony and make the PS3 not backwards compatible to play PS2 games after a couple of years?

I don't really see why anyone would want this, it loses features, just to be smaller and more cost-effective for Nintendo. Consumer loses again?

No, because they've already said that Wii accessories (controllers) will be a main part of Wii U games, so they have to stay pretty much.

Also, Wii games are regular size unlike Gamecube games, which is a big cost component for the Wii.

As soon as a company says something is not going to happen then it means its going to happen. I expect this system to be announced for the US by the holidays. Its an obvious push to get people to buy this before the Wii U comes out, by which time this console will be totally useless since Wii U is backwards compatible. I don't know why anyone would buy a downgraded system though unless the price was cut to like $50.

[quote name='SaraAB']As soon as a company says something is not going to happen then it means its going to happen. I expect this system to be announced for the US by the holidays. Its an obvious push to get people to buy this before the Wii U comes out, by which time this console will be totally useless since Wii U is backwards compatible. I don't know why anyone would buy a downgraded system though unless the price was cut to like $50.[/QUOTE]

was thinking the same thing. they should have kept it backwards compatible

Off topic but a gamecube is worth keeping around for the Gameboy Player, which I have, and its why I still have my Gamecube.

You can get a Wii for like $134 from Walmart or various other deals, not sure why anyone would buy one with less features, can probably get a used one cheaper too, and I doubt Nintendo plans on selling this new Wii for $50.

[quote name='SaraAB']Off topic but a gamecube is worth keeping around for the Gameboy Player, which I have, and its why I still have my Gamecube.

You can get a Wii for like $134 from Walmart or various other deals, not sure why anyone would buy one with less features, can probably get a used one cheaper too, and I doubt Nintendo plans on selling this new Wii for $50.[/QUOTE]

What games that uses the gameboy player?
I have zelda 4 swords and cant think of anything else

[quote name='The Punisher']What games that uses the gameboy player?
I have zelda 4 swords and cant think of anything else[/QUOTE]

all gameboy advance games work with the gameboy player

[quote name='Drclaw411']all gameboy advance games work with the gameboy player[/QUOTE]

Uh, WarioWare: Twisted and Yoshi Topsy-Turvy don't work so well.

[quote name='cochesecochese']US is second tier now. This sucks.[/QUOTE]

Maybe we need to stop paying our money to defend Japan from N. Korea. I can't see the French doing this, yet Nintendo treats them better.
If they are going to dis the US, they shouldn't be taking our money.

[quote name='KingBroly']No, because they've already said that Wii accessories (controllers) will be a main part of Wii U games, so they have to stay pretty much.

Also, Wii games are regular size unlike Gamecube games, which is a big cost component for the Wii.[/QUOTE]

This is exactly it. We don't know for certain without a teardown of the Wii U however it is likely that the components necessary to make the Wii remotes and Wii software work with the Wii U are negligible.

GCN components like the controller/memory card slots and the disc loading mechanism cost a fair bit of money to make and they add a bit extra in shipping weight.

[quote name='SaraAB']As soon as a company says something is not going to happen then it means its going to happen. I expect this system to be announced for the US by the holidays. Its an obvious push to get people to buy this before the Wii U comes out, by which time this console will be totally useless since Wii U is backwards compatible. I don't know why anyone would buy a downgraded system though unless the price was cut to like $50.[/QUOTE]

So Xenoblade Chronicles, The Last Story and Pandora's Tower are coming Stateside?

[quote name='KingBroly']So Xenoblade Chronicles, The Last Story and Pandora's Tower are coming Stateside?[/QUOTE]

Nintendo said there were no plans.

[quote name='SaraAB']Off topic but a gamecube is worth keeping around for the Gameboy Player, which I have, and its why I still have my Gamecube.[/QUOTE]

You can get one of those attachments so that you can play the GBA machine and games directly on your TV without a GC/GB Player.

GBAtoTV.jpg

P.S. It's for trade (or sale)... if someone is interested just PM your trade list (or cash offer).

^How does that thing work with video, audio I can understand comes from the headphone jack. The link cable port transfers video?

Yeah, about the Wii Sports just repeated what I heard on another thread here, about being just tech demo.

I would rather like to see Wii Sports bundled with some other Wii title or as a limited time offer for free from Nintendo with purchase of a Wii that doesn't come with Wii Sports. Maybe a double pack at the Nintendo Select price with Wii Sports Resort, Wii Play, or Wii Music.

[quote name='Droenixjpn']I don't really see why anyone would want this, it loses features, just to be smaller and more cost-effective for Nintendo. Consumer loses again?[/QUOTE]

It will probably eventually be tied in with a price drop and offered as a cheaper alternative to the WiiU. I see this as mildly good news for the Wii in general, because it is a sign that it will be kept around a while after the WiiU comes out, which seems to be a change in policy for Nintendo. Whether that is a good business move is a separate thing.

Personally, I think removal of GC support is appropriate at this point, since the market for GC games is really getting thin. For those who do want to compatibility, there are plenty of Wiis on the secondary market at this point.

[quote name='anotherpoorgamer']^How does that thing work with video, audio I can understand comes from the headphone jack. The link cable port transfers video?[/QUOTE]

It's been awhile since I did it, but basically you're replacing the bottom half of the GBA casing with this... you plug the video feed off of the screen into this device. It fits really nice and snug back together, and has a good feel to it.

[quote name='The Punisher']Nintendo said there were no plans.[/QUOTE]

Nintendo said there were no plans but that they are watching sales in europe, if the sales in europe are good then there is a small chance these will come stateside. Even though everyone says they will buy the game at launch for full price how many will actually do that?

Though I suspect that those who really want to play these games will be playing them anyways ahem ahem..

But the sales of Xenoblade Chronicles are in part due to a lot of people modding their system and importing the game. If and when it comes out here, I expect the game to tank because people already bought it. Throwing a blind eye to the truth of the situation isn't going to help NoA's cause.

I wonder if the redesign, in addition to saving money, is to make it harder to hack. If so it's a little late in the system's lifespan, but Sony certainly tried that with each iteration of the PSP.

And yeah, Broly, I completely agree - Xenoblade sales are at least in part due to importers after it got so much buzz online. Those who aren't willing to spend the $70-80 to import will play it illegally (though it's arguable that pirates would buy it anyway), and there's no way it'll sell what it could have with simultaneous/proper NA release.

bread's done
Back