Nier PS3 $14.99 - Amazon.com

Extremely tempting....

I'm trying to not spend much now due to all the killer games coming out soon. I already bit on Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box for $14.99 (glad I did though), but I'm not too sure I should for this game unless someone here that's played this game convinces me otherwise.

For those that have the game or played it extensively...what's your take on Nier?

I recently nabbed Nier 360 at Best Buy for that price...and taxes. The amazon deal is for the PS3 of course and comes with free shipping :D

Game is amazing by the way. Loooove the sound tracks as well. I'm probably halfway through only.

I'm sure others will chime in with the same thoughts.. but $15 is a great price :) Amazing soundtrack! Gameplay was decent, the first couple of hours were slow and kind of "what the heck is happening?" but I really got into it :) Plus, it has a New Game+ after you beat it once where you get to see the enemies side of the story (although you still play the same quests and same character).

I spent a good 35-40 hours with this game. It CAN be beaten under 15, but i farmed everything for achievements and took my time. I think my first play through was around 22-23 hours.

I really enjoyed Nier a lot more than I thought I would. The atmosphere and music are amazing though the gameplay overall is just so-so. I really liked the story too. Liked it enough that I played through for all the endings actually (not as bad as it sounds- only takes about an additional 5 hrs to get the 3 "extra" endings).

I bit!

After reading some of the comments here I then watched a couple gameplay/walkthrough videos and was hooked. The music is really great! Also noticed the 360 version is sold out and then noticed this game is sold out in other places like Gamestop as well. I figured I might as well jump on it now before prices start spiking and I kick myself in the ass later for missing this deal.

Thanks for the input guys and especially you OP! :D

Oh and OP, you might want to add that the game has free standard shipping...no need to have a total of $25 for free shipping.

Great game. Funny dialogue, decent gameplay, solid story with a good amount of replayability if you want to know the full story. I will say though that it does get repetitive everything from the combat to walking from town to town. Still, one of those diamonds in the rough. I recommend it very much.

[quote name='SmileyMcSmiles']Oh and OP, you might want to add that the game has free standard shipping...no need to have a total of $25 for free shipping.[/QUOTE]

did not notice that (probably since I have Prime)

I'll add it to the OP

Definitely would recommend this to anyone remotely interested. I actually beat the game just yesterday and really enjoyed it. While sure the graphics are sub-par and the combat might be a tad mediocre, the characters, music and story and great. (Also the side-quests are annoying fetch quests, but you can completely skip them)

[quote name='strait edge follower']Isn't this 9.99 or less on clearance in toys r us ?[/QUOTE]
Yeah i have seen it for the price at toys r us but I missed out on it : /

[quote name='strait edge follower']Isn't this 9.99 or less on clearance in toys r us ?[/QUOTE]

Yes $9.98, I got it for $5 last week during the 50% off clearance sale. Probably hard to find at most TRU by now though.

If you are obsessed with gameplay like a lot of gamers I see these days, don't get this game. Magic is overpowered, and combat is pretty one-note. But like everyone else has said, the music is outstanding and the story is excellent. I loved this game.

[quote name='simmias']If you are obsessed with gameplay like a lot of gamers I see these days, don't get this game. Magic is overpowered, and combat is pretty one-note. But like everyone else has said, the music is outstanding and the story is excellent. I loved this game.[/QUOTE]

Gotta say I disagree. The game was based around using magic attacks (fine with me because chopping over and over is boring) and I found the combat to be fun because of it. It isn't a particularly difficult game but there were a few challenging fights here and there.

Agree that the story and music are great. I found the major down turns of the game to be backtracking and the extremely boring and drab environments.

Bought this used at GS a few months ago for $13 and got all the endings.

I agree with most other comments here, the music and story are great. Once you beat the game and do new game+, you can mow through everything, even bosses.

I was really surprised at how much I enjoyed this game.

I loved this game. Just so everyone knows, there is a hard mode available from the beginning if you are looking for a challenge. Also, I am usually not a huge fan of dubs, but I really liked the dialogue in this game. I got it for $15 at gohastings a while back, and it turned to be one of the most memorable games I've ever played.

I thought the gameplay was utterly lousy and the plot an endless, shameless attempt to make you cry and these two weaknesses overpowered the clever ideas in both story and game design.

I'd say hold out for $10 but $15 isn't too bad. Was a waste of time the first run and apart from the extra story, a HUMONGOUS waste of time the second time around but your mileage may vary.

[quote name='TheLongshot']Anyone know how to get the soundtrack at a reasonable price?[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure iTunes has the soundtrack up. ~16 bucks, if I remember correctly.

I stayed away from this, per the mostly mediocre (on the gaming '7-9 scale') reviews, but the commenters in this thread and a re-read of a couple reviews sold me. So, a sincere "Thanks!" Sincerely, 2014 Me.

I should really play Jenga with my backlog at this point. Good grief!

Great Music. Fun style. I expected more Drakengard, but it's all good. Easy Plat. Lots of grinding/luck grinding, but it's fun ;)
Kaine is a hot /s lol

I enjoyed the game but was thoroughly pissed when at one point in the game they don't warn you it's a point of no return. So if you didn't do/ finish what you wanted, you're screwed. Therefore I never gave its second play through when that option was available because I was still sour. First was decent, I'll give it that.

[quote name='RollingSkull']I thought the gameplay was utterly lousy and the plot an endless, shameless attempt to make you cry and these two weaknesses overpowered the clever ideas in both story and game design.

I'd say hold out for $10 but $15 isn't too bad. Was a waste of time the first run and apart from the extra story, a HUMONGOUS waste of time the second time around but your mileage may vary.[/QUOTE]
Wow someone else around here that doesn't like the game, I also played the game and though it has some good parts like music and SOME characters but the flaws far outweighs them. The story is just bad, they try to throw these emotional twists at you but it doesn't work because a) you don't care about half of these characters because b) there really wasn't any real back story or any kind of personal plot connections to the characters. For a game that boasts story it does little to really sell it considering the endings have no closure since they are so short(was that a spoiler?) and a lot of things just sort of happen. To this day I still don't understand what half of the plot was or why someone stole my kid(okay now that was a spoiler, woops!), the only real plot development they worked on was for the heroine guy (Kaine) but most of it is text which is a damn shame. I will end on a good note with the music which is indeed very well done(good vocals and very epic), it's an old fashioned hack and slash like the ps and ps2 days (remember Brave Fencer Musashi but less as good) and there are some parts of the game that are very classy and fun but then they are some very bland ones as well. You can see that this game was made on a small budget so I guess you can say this is a very cheap game :D... ill go bak to my hole now

soundtrack is great ;) spooky chic weird language type operaish
i really wish they had an option to skip the audio everytime you start the game.
my kids can only hear so much cursing from a hot chic before they start to emulate her, and when the game starts with a tirrage of f-bombs the moment it loads up...

I'll pile on the praise for Nier. It's got some drawbacks, but its a very well done story, with excellent music, and decent to great gameplay (and even some really old-school gameplay mechanics....). at 15 bucks, it's a steal.

Nier is a love it or hate it type of game.

Now personally I loved Nier to death and it was my 2nd favorite game last year, just short to Just Cause 2. Great story, excellent soundtrack, and a fun time.

[quote name='Velo214']soundtrack is great ;) spooky chic weird language type operaish
i really wish they had an option to skip the audio everytime you start the game.
my kids can only hear so much cursing from a hot chic before they start to emulate her, and when the game starts with a tirrage of f-bombs the moment it loads up...[/QUOTE]

That scared the crap out of me when I first loaded up the game. I wasn't expecting that.

Considering it is an M rated game, it only goes in once everyone goes to bed anyways.

[quote name='exaznkid']Wow someone else around here that doesn't like the game, I also played the game and though it has some good parts like music and SOME characters but the flaws far outweighs them. The story is just bad, they try to throw these emotional twists at you but it doesn't work because a) you don't care about half of these characters because b) there really wasn't any real back story or any kind of personal plot connections to the characters. For a game that boasts story it does little to really sell it considering the endings have no closure since they are so short(was that a spoiler?) and a lot of things just sort of happen. To this day I still don't understand what half of the plot was or why someone stole my kid(okay now that was a spoiler, woops!), the only real plot development they worked on was for the heroine guy (Kaine) but most of it is text which is a damn shame. I will end on a good note with the music which is indeed very well done(good vocals and very epic), it's an old fashioned hack and slash like the ps and ps2 days (remember Brave Fencer Musashi but less as good) and there are some parts of the game that are very classy and fun but then they are some very bland ones as well. You can see that this game was made on a small budget so I guess you can say this is a very cheap game :D... ill go bak to my hole now[/QUOTE]

Okay, from one person who didn't like the game to another. I'm going to have to tell you why your kid was kidnapped. For everyone who has not beaten the game, do NOT click these spoilers. They ruin everything.

Shades were human souls. All the humans you met were soulless husks designed to be the new bodies of humans that somehow got sentient. The dude who kidnapped your daughter was your human soul meant take over your body, and likewise he wanted to stuff his human soul form of both your daughter(s) into your daughter. Except you are sentient and you take issue with being used in such a way and his daughter soul realized this was wrong as well which is why the soul daughter burned herself away to save your body daughter.

As far as the black scrawl? Well LOL BAD END.

This was definitely among the best RPGs of last year. The story is rather complicated, and a quick thumb through the translated Grimoire Nier book is going to be needed to fully understand it, but it's not like that's really a hindrance. The soundtrack is excellent. It is very unique, and definitely a high point.

On the lows, the character models look dated, and the combat can get button-mashy. These, of course, pale in comparison to what it does right.

bread's done
Back