XBLA - Sonic CD - 400 Points - Now Available!

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
[youtube]wuGJ8s2n28k[/youtube]

Sega hasn’t released a ton of information about the new Sonic CD port, but it’s still enough to get excited over. The game will be coming to XBLA, PSN, PC, iOS, Android, and Windows Phone (as an Xbox Live title). It will feature true widescreen support in which the field of view has been expanded from the original, rather than stretching a 4:3 image. The original Japanese soundtrack (also used in Europe but not the US) returns, and it now loops properly rather than pausing at the end of each song. Gamers can select between the original Sonic CD spin-dashing and physics or the Sonic 2 and 3-style, which worked a bit differently.
- From my Sonic CD announcement article at WPCentral.

EastX's Sonic CD review

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='whoknows']What's wrong with
Backbone?
[/QUOTE]

Everything
except Third Strike

And Scorch wins.

Yes, and what's wrong with the Japanese soundtrack? It's far more popular than the American one and builds excellently upon the music from Sonic 1 and 2. Here's an article discussing it.
I guess the US tunes have a few fans too (which I never knew before today). Also, I'm EastX, damn it! :)

I'm with Scorch on this one. Never heard the japanese intro before today. I could've done without hearing it. :razz: But the american intro, that is my nostalgia right there. I actually still have the PC version on my desk somewhere, but screw it. I'm getting this on xbla anyways.

fuck yeah, dude! Love Sonic CD. This is one of my old-school fanboy favorites. And, one of the very first memorable game-related music tracks that went beyond the usual beeps and boops. Day one insta-purchase.

I was a complete sonic diehard until post Dreamcast. Sadly I didn't play sonic CD until emulation came around on PC. I enjoyed it for what it was, and it had some very unique things to it. But honestly the level design to me felt like a disaster. The game is it's own unique thing, and was great for sega CD. I might even pick this up depending on the price. But how most people claim its the best sonic game out there I can not agree.

I love Sonic CD, it's my favorite in the series. With that said I'm probably not going to buy this since I already own it twice in Sonic Gems Collection and the original Sega CD. In fact on my way to work I'm going to pop in the Sega CD disk just to listen to the music.

[quote name='whoknows']So now that we're getting Sonic CD, I'm still left wondering when we're getting Sonic R with online multiplayer. :drool:[/QUOTE]
finally someone who talks some sense around here. Just don't make sonic shuffle xbla, AI cheats something fierce.

Will pick this up, I'm still happy in the direction Sega has been pushing Sonic lately, and releasing some of the older gems should definitely help out.

Sonic CD is my favorite Sonic. With that said, I hope It's 400msp considering it was on Sonic Gems collection and I already own that on the Cube.

This is great news. I've wanted to play this for years.
Is this love for Sonic R real? On a whim I tried playing it on my Saturn again a couple months ago but still can't move Sonic in a goddamn straight line.

[quote name='looploop']This is great news. I've wanted to play this for years.
Is this love for Sonic R real? On a whim I tried playing it on my Saturn again a couple months ago but still can't move Sonic in a goddamn straight line.[/QUOTE]

My pal 100 percented Sonic R. Thought the game was pretty meh.

Me? I kinda like Sonic The Fighters. Which one would you scorn most?

Back on topic, I am probably the small percentage who has never played Sonic CD in any form. I might check this out.

I might get this. I already have Sonic Gems Collection. I kind of would rather like to see a HD port of Sonic Mega Collection + and Sonic Gems Collection on one disc for less than $30.

[quote name='anotherpoorgamer']I might get this. I already have Sonic Gems Collection. I kind of would rather like to see a HD port of Sonic Mega Collection + and Sonic Gems Collection on one disc for less than $30.[/QUOTE]

There's Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection on disc, which you can get for cheap. That's all there's ever going to be, as far as classic Sonic collections on 360 go.

[quote name='Regian']Back on topic, I am probably the small percentage who has never played Sonic CD in any form. I might check this out.[/QUOTE]
I always wanted to try Sonic CD (I've been into the 2D games ever since I got my Genesis in '92 or '93). Sonic and Mecha Sonic fighting for that chaos emerald on the cover? fuck yeah. But I never got the Sega CD add-on or the PC port, and never had a GC, so this will be my first experience with it too.

[quote name='Regian']My pal 100 percented Sonic R. Thought the game was pretty meh.[/QUOTE]

I 100% Sonic R in just a few hours many many years ago. There's only 5 courses to learn and once you figure out the sort cuts it's really not that difficult. Not that I didn't have fun but an XBLA version of this sounds like a bad idea. If you want to play a Sonic racing game stick to Sega's All-Star Racing, that's actually a damn fun game.

[quote name='eastx']There's Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection on disc, which you can get for cheap. That's all there's ever going to be, as far as classic Sonic collections on 360 go.[/QUOTE]

That collection is badass. Probably one of the best collections of games ever. It gives me very little reason to break out my CDX.

On Sonic Retro, there was a few tasty details revealed:

The Taxman (unsure of his actual name, that's his user name) developed the Retro Engine in 2009 and its proof of concept was used on the iPhone. It is being used here, so this is a port instead of an emulation job. Thanks to this, you can expect:
-True widescreen support
-The ability to toggle between the Sonic CD spindash or the Sonic 2 spindash (switching to the latter also completely changes the physics and camera system used to the one used in Sonic 2/3&Knuckles)
-Japanese soundtrack
- A vague promise that some things are fixed, and some things are left alone to maintain Sonic CD's "flavor
- The soundtrack will loop continously, similar to the other Sonic titles

The press release and trailer hillariously refers to Sonic CD as a prequel to Sonic 4. Yeah, they reuse the style and format of the Sonic 4 trailer for the Sonic CD one. Sorry... at work, so I can't link to the Youtube trailer. Search for it!

But yeah. I'm really, really excited Sega is giving this much care to Sonic CD. The Retro Engine is the real deal, everyone.

Yeah, there's that terrible trailer I couldn't link to while I was at work. Welcome to Retro, by the way Eastx. ;)
I'm personally excited to play through the game with Sonic 3 physics. The Sonic CD physics, while making sense, felt... wonky.

It does not, but I think it's fair to say it isn't confirmed the American soundtrack isn't included-- hopefully an oversight in the press release. Still you'd think they'd mention it if dual soundtracks if it was going to be a feature... I'm still crossing my fingers. PAX is going on this weekend so we will get speedy confirmation on Sonic Retro I think.
My name there is FriendofSonic, or it has spaces like it does here. Can't remember. Good luck with Chris! I think he will agree-- he seems pretty down to earth. The only thing preventing it I'd see is that he may be in some sort of NDA that won't allow him to talk about the engine he most likely has no ownership of anymore.

Yeah... same here. The thing is, one really isn't any better than the other. They're both really odd soundtracks that don't really fit Sonic games from that era, so I pretty much like them both equally. But it's been years and years since I've listened to the JP tracks, so I'll be excited to have that for my playthrough.

One is the soundtrack that the people who made the game thought fit it best. The other is the new music that somebody who didn't make the game and didn't like techno came up with. It's like dubbing the film into a new language - the new dub doesn't become the proper, original track. Both soundtracks would definitely be the best way to please everybody, but if they're only going with one, it needs to be the original IMO.

Oh, I completely understand that-- it's fantastic that we're actually getting a release of Sonic CD with the 'proper' soundtrack.
In fact, in the final prototype of the game, 920, the US version was still using the Japanese soundtrack. It was really a last minute decision to have Spencer Nielsen compose the soundtrack. I definitely understand your point, but I was just making a critical assessment of both soundtracks-- neither of them are particularly the better and most fitting soundtrack, IMO, which is always why is confuses me when people rage about the US soundtrack. I guess the fact the original soundtrack got replace is enough of a reason to complain, I suppose. But I digress.

An Early report from a few Sonic Retro-ers at PAX say the demo is fantastic. Still waiting on more details.

Someone from Pax reported:
-Japanese soundtrack only because of licensing issues. But they know the fans would love it, so they're looking at solutions.
- Taxman told to shut his mouth about features, namely the Sonic 2 spindash/physics because it could be removed if it's found to break the game at all
- Sega is retconning Sonic CD to take place immediately after Sonic 3 and Knuckles, because the developers originally never set a specific time for Sonic CD's events. So, truly a "prequel" to Sonic 4.

[quote name='Friend of Sonic']Someone from Pax reported:
-Japanese soundtrack only because of licensing issues. But they know the fans would love it, so they're looking at solutions.
- Taxman told to shut his mouth about features, namely the Sonic 2 spindash/physics because it could be removed if it's found to break the game at all
- Sega is retconning Sonic CD to take place immediately after Sonic 3 and Knuckles, because the developers originally never set a specific time for Sonic CD's events. So, truly a "prequel" to Sonic 4.[/QUOTE]

Very interesting about the reconning stuff. I wondered wth they meant in the trailer about "how it all began" or whatever. I'm like...just release the friggin game, don't dick around with it and whatever they do, don't mess with a second of that opening trailer. I gotta hear some Sonic Boooooooooom!

[quote name='chubbyninja1319']Very interesting about the reconning stuff. I wondered wth they meant in the trailer about "how it all began" or whatever. I'm like...just release the friggin game, don't dick around with it and whatever they do, don't mess with a second of that opening trailer. I gotta hear some Sonic Boooooooooom![/QUOTE]
Yep, they plan on doing a trailer for Episode II that ties Sonic CD into it.

Haha yeah, that opening cinematic is one of the high points of my Sonic memories of when I was a kid. I wish we had more Sonic anime from the 90s, because I love how it was styled.

A PAX interview with Ken Balough from Sega:

[youtube]TWGJpl_xheI[/youtube]

Long and could have used some editing, but it does explain their thinking about the game's place in the timeline and how it ties in to Sonic 4.

P.S. I loved the Sonic anime OVA. Metal Sonic was rad in that.

51AH7KP4RRL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
oav001.jpg

I'm 99% sure it will be 800 points.

Also, I've set up an interview the game's producer which will be running at the end of October. I'll keep you guys posted.

I love that they're having Tails be playable. It'd be neat if Knuckles is in there too, and it just hasn't been revealed.

I'm really curious about the sprite for Tails they'll be using-- they will have to remake a sprite for the special stage, along with some animations in the game. I'm most interested in seeing how that plays out.

Great article/interview, EastX!

I don't know if it's just hype from Sonic Generations (which I still don't own....shame on me!) or if it's that my son (3 1/2) is starting to get into the Sonic games, but I am really excited for Sonic CD. This was always my favorite of the series and I'm hoping nostalgia won't let me down.

bread's done
Back