Gamestop removed OnLive vouchers from Deus EX: HR; Now Pulling Game From Shelves

Agreed, this is all over the news websites. I hope they get sued Hardcore and go out of business. I'm sick of Gamestops bullshit.

While this isn't a deal per say, I'm all for anything that brings attention to the fact that gamestop corporation is a collection of fucking maggots. I'm amazed that people still buy games from them in this day and age. Buy your games from Amazon or Greenman Gaming and stop giving money to the "Activision" of gaming retailers.

PS Buy Deus Ex because it is fucking amazing

PPS Buy it from Greenman Gaming because it's only $40!

Onlive isn't a piece of shit, IMO it is a really cool service, that allows me to game on what I want without worrying about the hardware. It may be still buggy, and the fact that you don't own the games is worrying, but its awesome that you should have gotten a free copy with purchase of Deus Ex.

How can Gamestop even do that? There is no way it is legal unless the publisher told them too, and even then why would they?!

Wow, maybe GS is finally going to pay the piper for all of the fiddling around they do with 'new' products. Good riddance...

wasn't gamestop sued a long time ago over selling opened copies as new? whatever happened to that?

remember things like this when you decide between buying from gamestop and spending a few more bucks at your local independent game store

I'm at a loss of words for how stupid this is. I understand why Gamestop has a problem with OnLive, but to open up copies and throw it out....

Is this copies purchased in store? I got a PC Augmented edition from Gamestop.com because I couldn't find one anywhere else (locally). If it arrives opened I'm going to freak and most likely return it in a box that I've shit in.

[quote name='HakurenKyo06']What is their reasoning for it?[/QUOTE]

That they weren't told of it prior to stocking it on their shelves. They didn't want to participate in this promo as it was steering people to GS's (impulse division in this case) competitors onlive.

[quote name='dabamus']I wonder if I can argue for a half off discount based on this? :D[/QUOTE]
Thank you for making this thread relevant to the deals board. :applause:

[quote name='canedaddy']Thank you for making this thread relevant to the deals board. :applause:[/QUOTE]

Glad to help. :D

[quote name='Jimmienoman']That they weren't told of it prior to stocking it on their shelves. They didn't want to participate in this promo as it was steering people to GS's (impulse division in this case) competitors onlive.[/QUOTE]

Doesnt the game register on steam?! so in regards to gamestop "competitors", shouldnt they remove everything out of the box and just sell an empty box

Holy shit I cant believe they're really doing that. Wow.

I'm done with them. Got some credit to use up when I get the time and a preorder to go cancel that I had paid with cash and I'll be sure to tell them exactly why. This is unreal.

I was actually on my way to Gamestop to use my store credit on the PC version, now I'll have to see what this is all about. I will not buy a new PC game that's been opened.

What a scumbag retailer. This just ads on to the many reasons why people hate gamestop.

On a side note onlive seems like a decent service, That is if you only play multiplats. so many great games you miss out on with onlive

This is insane, it's one thing to sell an opened game as used, at least they show you it's opened, but they never tell you that they threw away the onlive copy so when you get home and open it and find it's missing you are SOL because you cannot return it.

What is the next step? "Please throw away all the discs included in the following game as it conflicts with our used game sales."

After knowing this, if I had a PC preorder, I would check to see if the game has already been opened at the counter, and see if I could barter.

I guess it could be a deal afterall!

[quote name='strait edge follower']Mods what ever you do please don't delete this thread. This is very important info for every gamer to know.[/QUOTE]

They would likely move it, but a thread posted 40 minutes ago in the "correct" forum has only 2 replies, this one has 25 replies in half the time.

This is the way to get the word out, hopefully everybody agrees that this is the place to do it.

[quote name='JasonTerminator'] a thread posted 40 minutes ago in the "correct" forum has only 2 replies, this one has 25 replies in half the time.

This is the way to get the word out, hopefully everybody agrees that this is the place to do it.[/QUOTE]

This is exactly why I want this thread to stay here in the deals section. Many more people would see it here

[quote name='strait edge follower']Mods what ever you do please don't delete this thread. This is very important info for every gamer to know.[/QUOTE]

+ 1 million!!!

This is exactly the kinda P.O.S. approach I hate about this company!!!

Seriously don't get why people buy from that retailer. They absolutely take a shit on the customer, hose you down with piss and then wanna charge you $100 and say you needed it or else your console will break.

Hmm seeing how these copies may soon become extinct, is it worth buying it just for the rare value of them later? :lol:

[quote name='aznhero913']+ 1 million!!!

This is exactly the kinda P.O.S. approach I hate about this company!!!

Seriously don't get why people buy from that retailer. They absolutely take a shit on the customer, hose you down with piss and then wanna charge you $100 and say you needed it or else your console will break.[/QUOTE]

We can't let retailers push us around like this and get away with it anymore. Unfortunately soccer moms will be more than enough to support gamestop by themselves. They need to know gamestops shady business practices

just read about this on gamespot.. so messed up. but aonther thing thats messed up is that Australia gets an exclusive collectors edition with a figure of adam jensen. i got the augmented edition but all that im missing now is the figure.. son of a bitch..

Apparently from Gamestops facebook:
"Regarding the Deus Ex: Human Revolution OnLive Codes: We don’t make a habit of promoting competitive services without a formal partnership. Square Enix packed the competitor’s coupon with our DXHR product without our prior knowledge and we did pull these coupons. While the new products may be opened, we fully guarantee the condition of the discs to be new. If you find this to not be the case, please contact the store where the game was purchased and they will further assist."

Ok so it was a surprise to GS. Then pull the god damn product. You dont shaft the consumers because of your sqabbles with a competitor or Square Enix you fucking idiots.

edit: And I meant to pull the entire product, not just the part of it you dont like.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is easily theft and they will be prosecuted. The main reasoning is because they didnt inform the customer. If they would have informed the customer and offered for them to either purchase without the code or refund their money then it wouldnt have made it to a lawsuit most likely

I did not know a company needed approval from a retailer with what they put inside their product. News flash GS, "with out DXHR product" wtf do you mean "our" you didn't make it, you are just the middle-man.

[quote name='ShockandAww']Apparently from Gamestops facebook:
"Regarding the Deus Ex: Human Revolution OnLive Codes: We don’t make a habit of promoting competitive services without a formal partnership. Square Enix packed the competitor’s coupon with our DXHR product without our prior knowledge and we did pull these coupons. While the new products may be opened, we fully guarantee the condition of the discs to be new. If you find this to not be the case, please contact the store where the game was purchased and they will further assist."

Ok so it was a surprise to GS. Then pull the god damn product. You dont shaft the consumers because of your sqabbles with a competitor you fucking idiots.[/QUOTE]

I don't buy that excuse that gamestop made. They knew from the beginning that those codes would be in the packaging. I wonder how square enix feels about this. The Negitive press with what gamestop is doing will greatly slow down pc sales of the game and square enix can't be happy about that

I agree keep the thread here. Yes it's all over the news, but not all people are new junkies... Good information. I am curious to hear some people results from trying to get PC version today at GS.

They can spin opening games all they want, but this isn't one store playing the games they open (which was bad enough)--this is a corporate decision and it takes away any justification they have to ever open a copy of a game again and sell it as new.

I don't usually do this, and I know this is harsh.. but after reading this I've decided to not buy PC games from gamestop anymore. It's just too much, seriously. I can understand why they sell opened console games as "new" but opening a PC game, taking out a code that gives you free access to the game for onlive and passing that off as "new" is beyond ridiculous. This is coming from someone that doesn't care for onlive..

If they didn't like what came with the product, they should've immediately sent all of the Deus Ex HR copies back.

Seriously though, let's all start up a class action suit against them. This is an easy win here. I might contact some lawyers that specialize in this stuff and see what they say.

[quote name='sunghost']I don't usually do this, and I know this is harsh.. but after reading this I've decided to not buy PC games from gamestop anymore. It's just too much, seriously. I can understand why they sell opened console games as "new" but opening a PC game, taking out a code that gives you free access to the game for onlive and passing that off as "new" is beyond ridiculous. This is coming from someone that doesn't care for onlive..

If they didn't like what came with the product, they should've immediately sent all of the Deus Ex HR copies back.[/QUOTE]

What's so harsh about that ? You are protecting yourself as a consumer from getting ripped off and thats the right thing to do

bread's done
Back