Buy a select AMD Radeon HD GPU, get Deus Ex HR on Steam free

bluem00se

CAGiversary!
If you were interested in building a gaming PC for the upcoming gaming season (or upgrading), this is a pretty decent promo. I just ordered all my parts on Amazon and got the DiRT 3 edition 6950 (which is now shipping in 1-4 weeks due to the promo I think). Anyways, didn't see this posted anywhere, I never post deals and I thought this was a decent one!

EDIT: wow forgot to post a link. Sorry, here it is

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.ht...d_t=201&pf_rd_p=1315125622&pf_rd_i=B0055Y66A4

Last edited by a moderator:
It appears you can get an XFX HD 6850 at Newegg with Deus Ex HR, and Dirt 3 included. Not sure if this holds true for the XFX HD 6850 on Amazon as well, but it might. Also not sure if there's any other cards that offer it...I'd assume any XFX card would offer it.

XFX HD 6850 - Newegg - $159.99

I'd have to say if you're looking for an upgrade, it's not a bad deal. Especially if you submit the rebate and get an additional $20 back. Then you're paying $139.99 total, and getting a new game that retails for $50 still, and another game that retails around ($25?) I think. So if you actually want the games, You'd end up paying $70 for the card in the long run. Not a bad deal at all.

[quote name='wilflare']how does the 6850 compare to the 5850?
pretty nice deal though[/QUOTE]

The 5850 is actually a tad better than the 6850, but not by too much. 6850 uses less power, and can overclock a bit better than the 5850, but if you're keeping it at stock, the 5850 would give slightly better performance.

[quote name='wilflare']how does the 6850 compare to the 5850?
pretty nice deal though[/QUOTE]
6000 series is more power-efficient and supports DX11 features better than 5000 series. (Also better Blu-ray & 3D support.) For DX9 games, though, 5000 series will perform faster. So the question is more frames now or better feature support later?

Too bad most of those cards aren't even in stock on amazon, or will take a month to ship.

This kinda sucks. I just bought 4 XFX 6870 cards (two for me, two for a buddy of mine) a few weeks ago (seriously, like 2 weeks ago) and only got MIR of $30 for each card. I did buy DE:HR on GMG when the promo was on, but still would have been nice to get a few extra copies for friends. DAMN YOU PROMOS!!

::Edit:: I'm going to email Amazon and see if they will hook me up with the promo. Wish me luck.

well I literally JUST got my custom made PC from tigerdirect in the mail today, and I ordered a "place-holder" video card - something for 50 bucks to get me through til I have enough for a more expensive card.

I'm REALLY glad I waited to get a nicer card. thanks for the links guys =) =)

[quote name='ferrari91169']It appears you can get an XFX HD 6850 at Newegg with Deus Ex HR, and Dirt 3 included. Not sure if this holds true for the XFX HD 6850 on Amazon as well, but it might. Also not sure if there's any other cards that offer it...I'd assume any XFX card would offer it.

XFX HD 6850 - Newegg - $159.99

I'd have to say if you're looking for an upgrade, it's not a bad deal. Especially if you submit the rebate and get an additional $20 back. Then you're paying $139.99 total, and getting a new game that retails for $50 still, and another game that retails around ($25?) I think. So if you actually want the games, You'd end up paying $70 for the card in the long run. Not a bad deal at all.
[/QUOTE]
If you're going to get the XFX HD 6850, I'd recommend http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150551 It has a $30 rebate and free shipping, compared to $20 rebate and $7.50 shipping. The difference is that the one you linked, ylu can get Shogun 2 along with Deus Ex and Dirt 3. The one I linked you can't seem to get both Deus Ex and Shogun 2 in the same order. I just ordered that card Tuesday and it arrived Wednesday :) Talk about fast shipping. Too bad I don't have the rest of the PC to test it out :p

[quote name='ferrari91169']The 5850 is actually a tad better than the 6850, but not by too much. 6850 uses less power, and can overclock a bit better than the 5850, but if you're keeping it at stock, the 5850 would give slightly better performance.[/QUOTE]

Less power also means cooler, and therefore quieter. Worth mentioning.

The 6870 is comparable to the 5850, performance-wise.

[quote name='brettsp']Can anyone confirm that the Dirt3 is OOS?[/QUOTE]

Seems they were wrong. I just got in my bundle. Had the Shogun and the DE card in the box, and got the code for Dirt 3 emailed to me after I registered the card at XFX :applause:

Edit: It's worth noting that it said you must register the card prior to August 31, 2011 to get the Dirt 3 code.

I bought the sapphire 6850 on amazon using this promotion and got the deus ex code emailed to me right after the card shipped. When the card got to me there was a dirt 3 code in the box, and it worked fine. Pretty good promotion considering I was going to buy deus ex anyway, and didnt even know that I was going to get the dirt 3 code.

[quote name='Hudson187']This kinda sucks. I just bought 4 XFX 6870 cards (two for me, two for a buddy of mine) a few weeks ago (seriously, like 2 weeks ago) and only got MIR of $30 for each card. I did buy DE:HR on GMG when the promo was on, but still would have been nice to get a few extra copies for friends. DAMN YOU PROMOS!!

::Edit:: I'm going to email Amazon and see if they will hook me up with the promo. Wish me luck.[/QUOTE]

How are the XFX cards working for you? I want to upgrade my GTX 275 as it's starting to kind of crap out, and I wouldn't mind DX11, and a cooler/quieter card, but I've heard that the XFX have really loud fans. Have they been okay for you? I'm kind of trying to choose between XFX and Sapphire at the moment, and based on reviews Sapphire is higher up there than XFX, but I wouldn't mind the extra games with the XFX cards.

[quote name='ferrari91169']How are the XFX cards working for you? I want to upgrade my GTX 275 as it's starting to kind of crap out, and I wouldn't mind DX11, and a cooler/quieter card, but I've heard that the XFX have really loud fans. Have they been okay for you? I'm kind of trying to choose between XFX and Sapphire at the moment, and based on reviews Sapphire is higher up there than XFX, but I wouldn't mind the extra games with the XFX cards.[/QUOTE]

IMO Sapphire is better. They typically have better coolers and have higher clock speeds. Since they usually run cooler, it should not be as loud unless you are OCing it more than the reccomendation in the Catalyst drivers. The only good feature with XFX is the lifetime warranty. Other than that, they are probably the most stock make of the video card you can get. ASUS and Sapphire were be my make of choice.

So how much better is a 6850 than say a 4850? I've got a 4850 (1 GB) right now and it is great....I play BC2 on Medium and get about 40 FPS with a quad core processor. Right now, the only games I'm really gonna play on PC are BF3 and SWTOR (not really a graphics giant). I wouldn't mind plyaing on PC more but I spend 8-12 hours a day staring at the computer at work so I choose consoles because it's a change of pace.

Also, are graphics card usually on sale on Black Friday? Worth it to wait if it's not a pressing need? (Heck, neither of those games will come out until Late October)

Thanks, I'm still a rather neophyte PC gamer

[quote name='jdktech2010']So how much better is a 6850 than say a 4850? I've got a 4850 (1 GB) right now and it is great....I play BC2 on Medium and get about 40 FPS with a quad core processor. Right now, the only games I'm really gonna play on PC are BF3 and SWTOR (not really a graphics giant). I wouldn't mind plyaing on PC more but I spend 8-12 hours a day staring at the computer at work so I choose consoles because it's a change of pace.

Also, are graphics card usually on sale on Black Friday? Worth it to wait if it's not a pressing need? (Heck, neither of those games will come out until Late October)

Thanks, I'm still a rather neophyte PC gamer[/QUOTE]

If my 6950 hadn't been stolen from my porch today, I would've been happy to tell you.

i5 2500k, 12gb RAM, Windows 7 x64
upgrading from 4890 to 2gb 6950

Just built a new system and didnt get any video cards yet, although i built an SLI system and I wouldve gotten two of these cards if i had built a crossfire system. wtf

[quote name='GamerKingFaiz']Damn...

I bought my HD 6850 a few weeks ago and got Dirt 3 for free, I think I would've rather had this...oh well.[/QUOTE]

Same story for me. Bought it 2 weeks ago today to finish my PC last week. Would have been nice to get DEHR. Oh well, guess I'll just wait until it's like $10 on a Steam sale.

I had some buyers remorse and cancelled my order. I figured since i'll be going into the military soon, ill wait til after basic/tech school to build a new rig. Still one hell of a deal for a reliable card though.

It figures that I had preordered the game a week after this promo. I just ordered parts for my new LAN computer and got both Deus Ex and Dirt 3.

FYI - I contact Amazon since I just bought 4 XFX 6870 cards in the past 3 weeks. They credited me $60 to my account so I could order DE:HR!

Man 3 free games released this year with a video card purchase? I really wish I was building a new pc now. Those games almost pay for the card. I would consider getting this card but I wouldn't see much of an improvement since my CPU is my bottleneck. E8400, 4870, 4GB RAM.

[quote name='boneless']Is shogun and dirt using steam too?[/QUOTE]

I can't speak for shogun (even though I'm pretty sure steam is required to run it) but the Dirt 3 code is a steam download code.

[quote name='boneless']Is shogun and dirt using steam too?[/QUOTE]

I bought a 6850 from newegg not too long ago that came with a Shogun 2 voucher and I can confirm that it does activate on Steam.

I just got a 6970 from Walmart.com.
They are not a participating retailer.
You can buy a Dirt 3 code for $10 and a Shogun 2 code for $20.
It should most definitely not be a consideration
when spending hundreds of dollars on a video card, IMO.

I recommend a Radeon 6870 for $180.
It's a very solid card, and power efficient.
It requires 2 6-pin connectors.
Nearly all of these come with Deus Ex or Shogun 2
and either a $20 or $30 rebate.

Battlefield 3 is calling to you.

[quote name='Midori Monkey']
There is a bundle that actually includes Shogun, DE HR, and Dirt 3 (some report the Dirt 3 codes are OOS online tho) plus a $30 MIB.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.701843

When you add it to cart you see a coupon for DE HR too.[/QUOTE]

That is a really good card, dual-fan design stays cool and quiet.
This is one of the cards the reviews just loved.
This would be a very good choice if it's around your budget.

[quote name='Midori Monkey']There is a bundle that actually includes Shogun, DE HR, and Dirt 3 (some report the Dirt 3 codes are OOS online tho) plus a $30 MIB

[quote name='Emron']I can't speak for shogun (even though I'm pretty sure steam is required to run it) but the Dirt 3 code is a steam download code.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='karatebear']I bought a 6850 from newegg not too long ago that came with a Shogun 2 voucher and I can confirm that it does activate on Steam.[/QUOTE]

Thanks!

I just got a 6970 from Walmart.com.
They are not a participating retailer.
You can buy a Dirt 3 code for $5 and a Shogun 2 code for $15.
It was not a consideration for me when spending hundreds of dollars on a video card.
But you're CAGS, you can't help it.

[quote name='Midori Monkey']
There is a bundle that actually includes Shogun, DE HR, and Dirt 3 (some report the Dirt 3 codes are OOS online tho) plus a $30 MIB.

That is a really good card, dual-fan design stays cool and quiet.
This is one of the cards the reviews just loved, very power efficient.
It requires 2 6-pin PCIe power connectors.
This would be a very good choice if it's around your budget.

Battlefield 3 is calling to you.

Last edited by a moderator:
So far its handling everything I throw at it :D Wasn't expecting it to do as well as it is, only got it to hold me over till Nvidia releases their 28nm cards.

All three codes activate on Steam but when you launch Dirt 3 it pops open G4WL and asks you to put in a code to activate there too, for those that were wondering.

I was wondering if an Intel Core 2 Quad 2.5ghz with 6gb DDR2, and a 500w modular PSU would have any problem running this card (6870)? Im running a 5830 atm but its giving be the BSOD for some reason.

[quote name='maxim2boobles']What is the minimum PSU requirement for 6850?

newegg has the same deal
[/QUOTE]

using http://www.overclock.net/power-supplies/1045231-phaedrus-quickndirty-psu-calculator.html , a quality 400W PSU will suffice.

key word is quality. if you're using a prebuilt PC and upgrading the GPU, even if the PSU is listed as 450W, i would get a new one. specs recommend 500W, but that is to account for the myriad of shitty (meaning low efficiency) 500W PSUs there are out on the market. buy Seasonic or Seasonic rebrands (Corsair, Antec). aim for certified 80+% efficiency. do not go cheap on a PSU -- it is the single most important part in a computer, as a bad PSU can take down an entire system.

on a side note, this is kinda lame. just built my new computer last week...got the HIS IceQ 6950. great card, although that newegg deal for the 6870 (with ShoGun 2 and HR free) is an absolute steal. that card will be more than enough for any game out now or in the near future (BF3, Skyrim).

I ordered my 6950 a last week with the deus ex code and and received it a few days ago also registered the card with xfx and got dirt 3 which was a steam code too.

[quote name='theamato']using http://www.overclock.net/power-supplies/1045231-phaedrus-quickndirty-psu-calculator.html , a quality 400W PSU will suffice.

key word is quality. if you're using a prebuilt PC and upgrading the GPU, even if the PSU is listed as 450W, i would get a new one. specs recommend 500W, but that is to account for the myriad of shitty (meaning low efficiency) 500W PSUs there are out on the market. buy Seasonic or Seasonic rebrands (Corsair, Antec). aim for certified 80+% efficiency. do not go cheap on a PSU -- it is the single most important part in a computer, as a bad PSU can take down an entire system.

on a side note, this is kinda lame. just built my new computer last week...got the HIS IceQ 6950. great card, although that newegg deal for the 6870 (with ShoGun 2 and HR free) is an absolute steal. that card will be more than enough for any game out now or in the near future (BF3, Skyrim).[/QUOTE]

thanks for the link

i would bite on this deal if it was nvidia card. i had bad experience with ati/amd

[quote name='SeanTM22']I was wondering if an Intel Core 2 Quad 2.5ghz with 6gb DDR2, and a 500w modular PSU would have any problem running this card (6870)? Im running a 5830 atm but its giving be the BSOD for some reason.[/QUOTE]

You're good.

bread's done
Back