GameStop Offering FREE $50 GC and B2G1 Used Promotion to DEHR PC Early Adopters

Jodou

Infamous
Feedback
12 (100%)
Just received this email, so it looks like GS is trying to make good on the whole OnLive fiasco:
[quote name='GameStop']Dear GameStop customer,

Earlier this week, GameStop removed a competitor's coupon from standard edition PC versions of Deus Ex: Human Revolution, a recent release by Square Enix. We were not aware that the product box would contain this competitor's offer. We regret the events surrounding this title release and that our customers were put in the middle of this issue between GameStop and Square Enix, the publisher of this game. And for this, we are truly sorry.

For your inconvenience, we would like to offer you a free $50 GameStop gift card and a Buy 2 Get 1 Free pre-owned purchase. We want to earn back your trust and confidence in the GameStop experience. Please bring in this email and your store receipt or order confirmation from GameStop.com and present it to a Game Advisor.

Sincerely,
Paul Raines
CEO, GameStop[/QUOTE]

UPDATE: News Source

To Qualify For The $50 GC and B2G1 Promotion:
- Must have purchased Deus Ex: Human Revolution Standard Edition (YMMV on Augmented) for PC prior to 8/26 (does NOT exclude regular purchases)
- Must provide receipt or proof of purchase from online order
- Product does NOT need to have had the OnLive code removed to qualify; if it was sealed at purchase, you're still fully eligible

$50 GC is rung up as cash and totaled out. The employee is required to print a gift receipt for nightly counts as the register will be short $50 in cash.
B2G1 used is rung up with the lowest priced item marked down to a penny. There is no coupon issued for this, so you can work with your GS employee for a raincheck if you don't want to purchase immediately.

If you do not have your receipt, go to the store it was purchased and they will look up your information (1).

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Jodou']Just received this email, so it looks like GS is trying to make good on the whole OnLive fiasco:[/QUOTE]
Is that only good for Standard or does the Augmented Edition qualify for this too?

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']Is that only good for Standard or does the Augmented Edition qualify for this too?[/QUOTE]
I bought the standard and the email specifically states standard. Doesn't hurt to try, because I'm sure there will be confusion for the first few days. Hell, it's $50 FREE so I'd go for it.

Thats a very nice deal. If they give it to all people who bought it then its good way to say we screwed up, don't sue us.

[quote name='Jodou']I bought the standard and the email specifically states standard. Doesn't hurt to try, because I'm sure there will be confusion for the first few days. Hell, it's $50 FREE so I'd go for it.[/QUOTE]
I will see if I get the e-mail. It sucks that the Augmented Edition might not qualify for this. Damn my love of Deus Ex :lol:

If I can get a free $50 GC for the Augmented Edition then I will forgive them as I walk out with a new preorder.

The abbreviation for Deus Ex: Human Revolution nicely sums up GameStop's boneheadedness in all this:

DEHR!!!

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']I will see if I get the e-mail. It sucks that the Augmented Edition might not qualify for this. Damn my love of Deus Ex :lol:

If I can get a free $50 GC for the Augmented Edition then I will forgive them as I walk out with a new preorder.[/QUOTE]

So why not copy the email and print that out?
Wonder how all gamestops going to honor this?

[quote name='The Punisher']So why not copy the email and print that out?
Wonder how all gamestops going to honor this?[/QUOTE]
I would, I just don't want to drive 25 mins to gamestop to find out they are not going to honor the augmented edition.

[quote name='Maestro']they're only doing this because of the bad press.[/QUOTE]
Well obviously; it's PR damage control. I was surprised at how fast it exploded. Not like it was a slow news day with Irene looming.

Wow, nice move, Gamestop. A lot more than I expected, honestly. If I had thought this much good could've come out of it, I would've driven over there and bought myself a copy. I thought about it originally, but didn't expect GS to really come back with much.

[quote name='ssjmichael']It's better than nothing but really, Gamestop still benefits from this, and Onlive is still getting shafted.[/QUOTE]

How is Gamestop benefiting from this? They got tons of bad publicity and are ATTEMPTING to make it up to people by offering them up to $75 of pre-owned product for free. That, to me, sounds like an epic loss.

As for OnLive... they're the ones benefiting. They packed in all those free copy coupons to spread the word, to get people to use their service. Now thousands and thousands of people who weren't even going to buy the game know exactly who they are. They reached so many more people than expected, and many of the codes they gave away to do so aren't even being used. Epic win.

[quote name='Vader582']Too bad the PS3 version isn't covered. :lol:[/QUOTE]

But cant u take that email print out?
Maybe Gamestop has a promo code to type in the computer to give $50 or B2G1 promo???

lol... poor bs excuse... "We were not aware that the product box would contain this competitor's offer."

Really gamestop? You didn't need to pull this shit in the first place. All it would have taken is to ask your suppliers NOT to include anything like that in the future... Problem solved.

But still you guys who got the game are lucky to get the 50 dollar gift card and keep the game. So you just got it for free. :|

I really wonder why they give a fuck about PC gamers.....when in stores there is a very small section for PC games... they really could have said fuck YOU and left it at that.

but wait.......someone would have filled a class action lawsuit in time for this shit.

[quote name='pieczonka']the email says you must show your receipt which I do not have anymore. Its going to be fun having the argument at the store.[/QUOTE]
I know it explicity states you need your receipt, but I can't see why they couldn't look it in your PUR past purchases (if you used a PUR card, of course).

[quote name='smellmybutt']So there is no way to buy a copy today, take this email and receipt and get $50 back right?[/QUOTE]
How would you buy a copy if they're all recalled? ;)

[quote name='Jodou']How would you buy a copy if they're all recalled? ;)[/QUOTE]

They really recalled them? I thought they just gutted the PC games.

Funny thing is, as soon as they realized that the ONLIVE coupon was in the retail pc game they could of just put a memo out stating to put the game away and not sell it due to a recall or whatever reason but they went about it wrong. They opened the game up, gutted it and removed the code then tried to sell it as "new". They usually do it for the most part, except the real kicker is them removing the Onlive free game coupon and not telling customers about it. That is some shady stuff right there and if it had happened to me I still wouldn't go back even after this now sort of apology (pathetic really).

On the other hand, I guess as a cag we'll see lots of flipping of gs items soon.

Hmmm. I wonder what they'll do the next time we catch them doing something shady. I'll still continue to boycott GameStop.

[quote name='Reck_Havoc']My local Gamestop has one copy of the PC version left.. would I get this deal if I bought it today?[/QUOTE]

We're not Nostradamus, go try it and find out then let us know.

[quote name='Reck_Havoc']My local Gamestop has one copy of the PC version left.. would I get this deal if I bought it today?[/QUOTE]

I can guarantee it's not worth the hassle. Did you get the e-mail?

Who's the idiot running Gamestop that thought people wouldn't find out about what they were trying to do?

"I've got an idea guys, maybe if we take the code out and re-shrink wrap the games, nobody will know! Wait, you guys that I'm paying 8 bucks an hour...you won't tell, will you?"

[quote name='Dysheekie']Who's the idiot running Gamestop that thought people wouldn't find out about what they were trying to do?

"I've got an idea guys, maybe if we take the code out and re-shrink wrap the games, nobody will know! Wait, you guys that I'm paying 8 bucks an hour...you won't tell, will you?"[/QUOTE]

The sad thing is that they do have a shrink wrap machine.

I remember when blockbuster had the same thing. I would as BB to wrap a dvd because it was a gift. (Aunt)

This doesn't get me to forgive them enough for what they did. They got OnLive to have their deal they had with Square go down the tube. They could have gotten more people on their servers and beleive me, I want that. OnLive has crummy service for some but in general - I think this is the future of gaming with Cloud. I don't want G$ to get the customers they truly don't deserve by buying them off with lots of credit and such :bomb::bomb::bomb:

[quote name='Dysheekie']Who's the idiot running Gamestop that thought people wouldn't find out about what they were trying to do?

"I've got an idea guys, maybe if we take the code out and re-shrink wrap the games, nobody will know! Wait, you guys that I'm paying 8 bucks an hour...you won't tell, will you?"[/QUOTE]

The stores themselves didn't do it.

Anywho, the e-mail said they had to purchase it BEFORE 8/26 to take advantage of the offer (In the store e-mail).

My local store that I basically still work at but not really already sent the recall back too, as we were supposed to today or yesterday.

I just called gamestop and told them mu situation about not having the receipt and was told that the gift card was only for preorders, and since I do not preorder it I do not qualify.

not cool

[quote name='pieczonka']I just called gamestop and told them mu situation about not having the receipt and was told that the gift card was only for preorders, and since I do not preorder it I do not qualify.

not cool[/QUOTE]
Who the hell preorders PC games at G$? That is one of the most douchebagbest moves I ever heard. I know that most people didn't preorder and they are going to be STILL screwed over.

Even when fullfilling douchbaggery and attempting to find redemption, its still a douchebag move.

[quote name='pieczonka']I just called gamestop and told them mu situation about not having the receipt and was told that the gift card was only for preorders, and since I do not preorder it I do not qualify.

not cool[/QUOTE]

so did everyone who preordered picked up the game already?
They offering the $50 gift card. I guess it cancels the preorder and basic getting it free.

Sucks that everyone cant just take the email and get $50 gift card free.

not cool[/QUOTE]The email doesn't stipulate it had to be a pre-order, so if they're going to take that attitude then this will get backlash as well. How does it make sense that if you bought an opened copy from a pre-order vs an open copy from a day one purchase they could treat you differently? Lol, I guess GameStop will never change.[quote name='The Punisher']so did everyone who preordered picked up the game already?
They offering the $50 gift card. I guess it cancels the preorder and basic getting it free.

Sucks that everyone cant just take the email and get $50 gift card free.[/QUOTE]It's beginning to sound like this will be YMMV for now, but I fully expect them to start doing this in a few days. I don't think GS employees fully understand what a corporate apology entails and that in this situation, the customer is always right.

Well if you didn't pre order I thought Game stop doesn't sell new games to people who didn't pre order for 2 days, so you wouldn't of gotten it till Today anyway right?

[quote name='Jodou']the customer is always right.[/QUOTE]

"Cause she's always told the customer's right, and in fact, the customer is usually a moron and an asshole." - Larry David

[quote name='Denbo32']Well if you didn't pre order I thought Game stop doesn't sell new games to people who didn't pre order for 2 days, so you wouldn't of gotten it till Today anyway right?[/QUOTE]
lol-fruit.jpg

This is why I bitch so much. Props to GS for realizing how absolutely dumb they were and then fixing it.

Of course at first they defended it which is pretty inexcusable but whatever. All's well that ends well.

[quote name='Jodou']The email doesn't stipulate it had to be a pre-order, so if they're going to take that attitude then this will get backlash as well. How does it make sense that if you bought an opened copy from a pre-order vs an open copy from a day one purchase they could treat you differently? Lol, I guess GameStop will never change.It's beginning to sound like this will be YMMV for now, but I fully expect them to start doing this in a few days. I don't think GS employees fully understand what a corporate apology entails and that in this situation, the customer is always right.[/QUOTE]

I was just saying that people maybe already canceled and dont have a receipt. Wont it be easy for them to email gift card? just by showing gamestop employees a email, the only thing i can think of is that the employee punch in a special promo code on the computer allowing the $50 gift card/ B2G1??

Guess its the waiting game until someone finds out this process.

I was able to look up my purchase history on my PUR account so I do have a transaction receipt showing I bought the game. There should be no way they can argue that.

[quote name='xskaxninjax']How is Gamestop benefiting from this? They got tons of bad publicity and are ATTEMPTING to make it up to people by offering them up to $75 of pre-owned product for free. That, to me, sounds like an epic loss.

As for OnLive... they're the ones benefiting. They packed in all those free copy coupons to spread the word, to get people to use their service. Now thousands and thousands of people who weren't even going to buy the game know exactly who they are. They reached so many more people than expected, and many of the codes they gave away to do so aren't even being used. Epic win.[/QUOTE]

I'm talking specifically about this offer, not about the situation in general.

With this offer:

1.) Gamestop is giving away a GC and a coupon, which means people will be spending money, often out of their pocket that they wouldn't have otherwise have spent

2.) Onlive still loses each and every one of those customers who bought the game, many of whom may have signed up if they had the coupon. They don't benefit from this particular "gesture" whatsoever. If you honestly think they're better off for this than they were if this incident didn't happen, you're on crack.

The one copy left at my Gamestop store wasn't allowed to be sold.. more than likely to avoid giving someone a $50 gift card.

Lame.

[quote name='Reck_Havoc']The one copy left at my Gamestop store wasn't allowed to be sold.. more than likely to avoid giving someone a $50 gift card.

Lame.[/QUOTE]

Yes, it is lame that you are trying to take advantage of an offer that wasn't intended for you.

[quote name='gettinmoney662']Yes, it is lame that you are trying to take advantage of an offer that wasn't intended for you.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, except no where in the Gamestop invoice does it specify if its for pre-orders, or for anyone picking up the PC version.

But nice try.

[quote name='Reck_Havoc']Yeah, except no where in the Gamestop invoice does it specify if its for pre-orders, or for anyone picking up the PC version.

But nice try.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, nice try. This is meant to apologize for people who already bought the PC version of the game. Not assholes who had no intention of buying the game from Gamestop but then saw the apology and want to try to scam their way into getting it.

bread's done
Back