The HP Touchpad Guide Thread (get help with webOS, preware, video converters, etc)

htown01

CAGiversary!
Feedback
5 (100%)
Since the HP Touchpad thread in the Video Game Deals thread is becoming too big for many to follow, and have found some questions being asked repetitively, I thought this would be a great idea.

I hope the CAGs who were able to get one come here to learn and contribute :)

Precentral Forums
HP Touchpad forum

The Official HP Palm Blog: Updates on certain apps on webOS, 6-pack app giveaways, etc.

Performance

How to improve the performance of your new HP Touchpad
Got a slow HP Touchpad?
Tired of refreshing webpages because of old content? Check it out here!
Got a New Touchpad and want to make it even more awesome? Check it out here!

Video Converter

Streaming

Orb Caster from Orb Networks (1st post)
Easy and free, and works great
-Plays ALL video formats that your computer can do (even ones not supported by the TouchPad)
-Streams even 720p HD movies, with little or no buffering at all during movie

Accessory Reviews

Troubleshooting
The Official HP Palm Blog
WebOS Doctor for Touchpad
How to use webOS Doctor
Hulu Fix for Touchpad

FAQ

1) I'm not able to install pre-ware, webOS Quick Install hangs on an .ipk package?

Try installing webOS v3.0.2 BEFORE you install preware. Go to
>Settings
>>System Update

2) How long does the update take? My Touchpad seems to hang/receive a message of "Unable to connect. Try again later."

When initially installing the system update, it states that the Touchpad will download the update when the tablet is idle and it will inform you when it is ready to be installed.

I left mine idle for an hour or so and the update was ready to install.

3) Is there a patch to unthrottle downloads on the Touchpad?

Yes, after installing preware, start up the webOS Quick Install app and click on the "Patches" tab. Search for "unthrottle" and you will see the "Unthrottle Download Manager" patch. Install and restart the touchpad (that is if you are done looking for other patches).

4) How do I...? (General Functions)
FAQ HERE - Thanks to user speedtouch at webOSroundup.com

5) I'm not able to install the novacom drivers on Mac OS X Lion, what should I do?
xda developers Forum link

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='IronZombie']Good idea.. should limit guys like me from turning the other thread into a tech support thread lol.[/QUOTE]

:lol: I saw many people are still looking up their order status on the BB site and have to go through several posts asking for help and whatnot.

Do you know if there's any way to run Visual Boy Advance on the TP? I've been looking online but I'm not really sure. From what I've seen it either doesn't run on it or it doesn't run well.. is there a working one out there? Is it something that's coming in the near future? Would be pretty cool to have it.

[quote name='mcdaking84']Can I put apps that I buy on two different touchpads? want to put it on my gf's like with ios[/QUOTE]
Unless you share the same account I doubt it, just as you wouldn't be able to do that with the iPod/iPad.

Good thread. I added a link to webosroundup.com which has a forum thread with general info for beginners. It's question 4 in the FAQ.

It looks like HP is taking a stab at an iTunes-esque music program.

http://hpplay.com/

My first thoughts are, while it's still beta, it is like a very bare version of iTunes. It even imports iTunes music/playlists/etc.

It has some detection issues, like the inability to differentiate between USB devices. It detected my external HDD as a compatible device, but fortunately there is an option to ignore the device.

Overall, it will simplify synching music. It doesn't seem to support video yet, but hopefully that will come with time.

Just foumd the link to this thread from the other post so I figured I'd re-post my problem with the HP app here:

Not sure how I did it but I borked the HP app catalog. Every time I try to load it now, two cards open up; one card show a smartphone size window that's white and the other card is the browser directed to http://index.html/ and it gives a prompt of "ERROR Unable to resolve host".

I had updated to latest webos version. Tried to download apps but would fail at install. Saw that there were updates to HP app, Adobe so dl'd those. During the HP app dl, it froze and gave me error message to restore HP app catalog. Couldn't quit, so clicked to restore and that seemed to screw it up.:cry:

Anyone know how to restore the HP app?

[quote name='rbarba4']Just foumd the link to this thread from the other post so I figured I'd re-post my problem with the HP app here:

Not sure how I did it but I borked the HP app catalog. Every time I try to load it now, two cards open up; one card show a smartphone size window that's white and the other card is the browser directed to http://index.html/ and it gives a prompt of "ERROR Unable to resolve host".

I had updated to latest webos version. Tried to download apps but would fail at install. Saw that there were updates to HP app, Adobe so dl'd those. During the HP app dl, it froze and gave me error message to restore HP app catalog. Couldn't quit, so clicked to restore and that seemed to screw it up.:cry:

Anyone know how to restore the HP app?[/QUOTE]

I've been fortunate so far as to not have an issue with much regarding my Touchpad. A CAG on the deals thread mentioned webOS doctor (it's under Troubleshooting in the 1st post). Try that, it's supposed to restore functionality and update the webOS software/apps on it.

[quote name='IronZombie']Would that be a better alternative to having music on the device? I know I won't always have wifi especially if I'm out and about somewhere so it kind of defeats the purpose. When I'm home I can just open up iTunes and listen..[/QUOTE]

It's more of a bonus than a feature I would say. When you do have wifi the found quality is excellent, but you don't have notification bar controls like you would using the normal app. There's also the need to have wifi.

I've downloaded the development SDK for WebOS and plan on messing around with it later this weekend. I have an interesting idea for a few apps, but I need to look more into the device. Just out of curiosity, what kind of apps do you guys want to see on the TP?

@dkellar I personally would like to see a media player app, something like the vlc media player. All that codex stuff and formatting shouldn't be too hard to do, right? Lol. The other thing I wish was available was any sort of office suite, so I could use it for my school work. And while you are at it, let's get a netflix app going too! Lol!

So I haven't turned off logging yet and I just tried skype chat with my buddy who also got a TP. Does the logging "hack" fix the shitty skype video conferencing?

I like how they take all emails from different providers and put it into one...dont know if same for iPad but i do like it :D

god where are all the links on how to get acquainted with this thing and to overclock it? i shouldve bookmarked it :bomb:

i cant even update mine either.

[quote name='david12795']god where are all the links on how to get acquainted with this thing and to overclock it? i shouldve bookmarked it :bomb:

i cant even update mine either.[/QUOTE]

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touchpad/293028-new-touchpad-heres-your-get-started-guide.html

And trust me this thing blazes like a wildfire once you hack all the logging off and OC it to 1.5 GHZ. Improves the quality of the whole device and makes it about four times faster than stock

[quote name='admiralvic']Possible brick/shorter life span.[/QUOTE]

Yeah - I haven't done any of the hacks. I'm pretty happy with it as it is. Maybe at some point I'll turn off the logging stuff - but I will probably never overclock it.

Isnt the Touchpad covered by warranty for a year? After a year is up, overclock and install Android on it, or whatever you want. Im gonna play it safe until then. Ive had my ipod since they first came out, and besides replacing the battery every 2 to 3 years for about 20 bucks, its had no problems; i hope the same will stand true for my Tablet, and I hope batteries wont be too hard to find or overpriced...or difficult to install.

i cant find a way to transfer my PDFs from my computer to my TP. can anyone help? apparently the only way to do it is to send it to your email then save it from your touchpad.

[quote name='david12795']i cant find a way to transfer my PDFs from my computer to my TP. can anyone help? apparently the only way to do it is to send it to your email then save it from your touchpad.[/QUOTE]

Have you tried just using it as a USB drive?

[quote name='david12795']i cant find a way to transfer my PDFs from my computer to my TP. can anyone help? apparently the only way to do it is to send it to your email then save it from your touchpad.[/QUOTE]

Can't help ya there chief I just uploaded mine to box.net.

[quote name='confoosious']yeah I'll turn off logging and see if that's good enough.

anyone know how to remove a just type search engine I added by mistake?[/QUOTE]

Doesnt the "Just type" search appear on all HP touchpad?

[quote name='floppywopper']Have you tried just using it as a USB drive?[/QUOTE]

yep. nothing pops up. my computer says successfully installed.

[quote name='evildeadjedi']Can't help ya there chief I just uploaded mine to box.net.[/QUOTE]

ill try that next time. do i have to be connected to wifi to access it?

[quote name='cRodz']it should read pdfs from anywhere on the pad root[/QUOTE]

everytime i try to open the removable disk it says "cant be opened"

[quote name='admiralvic']Possible brick/shorter life span.[/QUOTE]

I've heard that if you just overclock it to 1.5, that it really doesn't hurt it at all, because that was what the device was intended to run at.

[quote name='jbrun85']is there a downside to overclocking the unit?[/QUOTE]If you don't go crazy with OC'ing, you shouldn't have much trouble at all. Electronics are hella robust these days and built to run faster than they usually are. I've got my CPU and video cards OC'ed and they're fine - my CPU is running faster than one that costs five times as much.

The biggest problem is battery life is shortened. If you're looking to wring as much use out of a charge as possible, you don't want to OC. (Some used to UNDERclock their Pres for more run time.) If you want peppy performance, though, by all means mash the accelerator to some extent. What's useful about these mods and kernels is that expert nerds have already figured out what's stable and what's sketchy so all you need to do is apply the patches. If they say the 1.5 GHz patch is stable, but the 1.7 GHz is occasionally flaky, go with the 1.5 version unless you're a nerd thrill seeker who needs MOAR POWWAH!!!

all right so i managed to transfer my PDFs to my TP via USB and dragged it onto the root. however one of my PDFs is 38 MB and it can be slow on loading . any solution to fix this?

[quote name='Nagasami']I think u should get the Matte one because the Hp is fingerprint magnet lol[/QUOTE]

Hiya! Sorry, I guess it doesn't charge through the computer. Seeing the connection sign, while plugged in, obviously, had me confused.

[quote name='ChunLiBarbie']Hiya! Sorry, I guess it doesn't charge through the computer. Seeing the connection sign, while plugged in, obviously, had me confused.[/QUOTE]

Oh, after i tried again i didnt see it charging either. Btw people confirmed that it actually charging but really slow.

[quote name='ChunLiBarbie']Lol. That would've been my other guess, because I had it plugged in for 30 minutes or so with no type of results.[/QUOTE]

it does charge via USB on the computer, just really slow. Mine charged overnight though

[quote name='htown01']I've been fortunate so far as to not have an issue with much regarding my Touchpad. A CAG on the deals thread mentioned webOS doctor (it's under Troubleshooting in the 1st post). Try that, it's supposed to restore functionality and update the webOS software/apps on it.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the advice. Gave it a try but webOS doctor wouldn't initialize properly, which turned out to be a good thing

I called the webOS Butler line this morning to get advice and they recommended that I go to Device info->Restore options->Erase apps and data. That did the trick:bouncy:

HP apps works again and downloads are working as well; no fails.

By the way, shouldn't this thread be moved over to Mobile Gaming. Might get more views there alongside ISO, android and W7. Regardless, appreciate it even exists:)

[quote name='david12795']i was going to ask you what are the cons....yeah i dont feel like overclocking it anywhere seeing as i just got it :p[/QUOTE]

No cons that I can see considering the unit runs natively at 1.5 ghz and hp intentionally underclocked the unit...

As for the debugging logs that was just stupid on the part of HP and Palm becuase removing just the logging speeds the unit up considerably(Probably making it the fastest tablet out there)

Once you get the preware installed you'll see that installing the kernal for OC is like downlaoding any app and its just seems too easy not to do it and it will give you another nice boost(Quake loaded about twice as fast with 1.5 as oppsed to 1.2)

The Overclocking Govnah app also allows you to underclock the unit for power saving and other features as well(Exibition ect)

Difference is like night and day.....

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touchpad/293028-new-touchpad-heres-your-get-started-guide.html

[quote name='david12795']i was going to ask you what are the cons....yeah i dont feel like overclocking it anywhere seeing as i just got it :p[/QUOTE]

I have run the touchpad with and without the preware and so have a few friends. I would suggest staying away from it unless you get into the mood to be geeky. The overclocking will kill your battery in about an hour also I do not see the need for it as the touchpad is not slow on its own. As far as the preware it makes some difference but not much. You can quiet the logging without using preware at all just google how to quiet the touchpad logging and you should get the how to without hacking your system. Also be aware that there is an update to webos to 3.0.2 and if you aren't 100% positive that it is on your system do not install preware. First reason is the updater says your system is up to date after you click update and it goes through a unpacking process which many people believe it is truly up to date and then install preware and after you cannot in most cases install the update after the preware and some apps and hacks need that update to work.

Like I said unless you are one of those people that have to just get in and play with the guts or unless you find that your touchpad is painfully slow (which I doubt will happen) then maybe. But out of the box there is really no need for it and the touchpad is fine on it's own if you didn't get a brick from the store.

good luck and have fun.

[quote name='Pliskin101']I have run the touchpad with and without the preware and so have a few friends. I would suggest staying away from it unless you get into the mood to be geeky. The overclocking will kill your battery in about an hour also I do not see the need for it as the touchpad is not slow on its own. As far as the preware it makes some difference but not much. You can quiet the logging without using preware at all just google how to quiet the touchpad logging and you should get the how to without hacking your system. Also be aware that there is an update to webos to 3.0.2 and if you aren't 100% positive that it is on your system do not install preware. First reason is the updater says your system is up to date after you click update and it goes through a unpacking process which many people believe it is truly up to date and then install preware and after you cannot in most cases install the update after the preware and some apps and hacks need that update to work.

Like I said unless you are one of those people that have to just get in and play with the guts or unless you find that your touchpad is painfully slow (which I doubt will happen) then maybe. But out of the box there is really no need for it and the touchpad is fine on it's own if you didn't get a brick from the store.

good luck and have fun.[/QUOTE]

what about killing the logging? or reducing it to almost nothing? that worth it? thats not techincally going all out geeky

[quote name='david12795']all right so i managed to transfer my PDFs to my TP via USB and dragged it onto the root. however one of my PDFs is 38 MB and it can be slow on loading . any solution to fix this?[/QUOTE]

I wish I knew a fix, I have some PDFs in the 50mb range and wait times are...long.

[quote name='iggypop123']what about killing the logging? or reducing it to almost nothing? that worth it? thats not techincally going all out geeky[/QUOTE]

That can be done without preware read my post again please. I am not against it I just think people should have the full scope and the warnings before doing it that is all.

:D

[quote name='Pliskin101']I have run the touchpad with and without the preware and so have a few friends. I would suggest staying away from it unless you get into the mood to be geeky. The overclocking will kill your battery in about an hour also I do not see the need for it as the touchpad is not slow on its own. As far as the preware it makes some difference but not much. You can quiet the logging without using preware at all just google how to quiet the touchpad logging and you should get the how to without hacking your system. Also be aware that there is an update to webos to 3.0.2 and if you aren't 100% positive that it is on your system do not install preware. First reason is the updater says your system is up to date after you click update and it goes through a unpacking process which many people believe it is truly up to date and then install preware and after you cannot in most cases install the update after the preware and some apps and hacks need that update to work.

good luck and have fun.[/QUOTE]

I agree the touchpad is good speed out the box, just turn logging to minimal and speed is fast now, sure you can do the preware mod also to make it very fast. I will settle with fast with good battery life, rather then very fast with poor battery. Though its really up to the user, I pretty much can say without a doubt overclocking to 1.5 ghz will do no harm, alienware and other gaming pc's actually recommend it, just dont try to go over the limitations of the TP (OC it too high where it becomes unstable). Only type of mod I will try is putting Android on here, but then again I am rather liking WebOS alot.

[quote name='Pliskin101']That can be done without preware read my post again please. I am not against it I just think people should have the full scope and the warnings before doing it that is all.

:D[/QUOTE]

Actually you cant kill logging without Preware, you can only set it to minimal out the box.

I refuse to believe it only lasts an hour with the preware and stuff installed. Not even my ten year old laptop battery is that bad. Can any one else verify the battery life before and after?

bread's done
Back