Professor Layton and the Last Spector- Out October 17th

adriley313

Banned
51QKeffb9QL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Professor Layton and the Last Specter

Release Date: October 17th

Product Description

Amazon.com Product Description

Professor Layton and the Last Specter is a single player puzzle/brain teaser game for the Nintendo DS hardware family and the fourth game in the Professor Layton series to be released in North America. The Last Specter is a prequel to Professor Layton and the Curious Village and the entire series. The events of the game also immediately precede those of the animated feature Professor Layton and the Eternal Diva. The game serves as the first in a trilogy of new Professor Layton games and contains a separate Professor Layton RPG entitled Professor Layton's London Life. Features include: puzzle types such as brain teasers, riddles and conundrums; a built-in help system; an in-game inventory; engrossing animations, characters and music; and additional free weekly puzzle downloads following game launch.
B0050SVOHA.logo.200.jpg

A puzzling prequel that is also the first in a new trilogy of games.
View larger.

Professor Layton is Back with a Puzzling Prequel

This fourth installment of the Professor Layton puzzle adventure series begins a new trilogy that is a prequel to the original games. Three years before the events in the Professor Layton and the Curious Village game, Professor Layton receives a letter from his old schoolmate Clark Triton, telling him that a "mysterious giant" is destroying his town." The professor heads to the town of Misthallery to investigate, and is joined by Emmy, his new assistant. What is the meaning of all the destruction, and is it related to the village's folklore legend of a "specter?" The unfolding story also details how Professor Layton and his apprentice, Luke Triton, met.
Bonus RPG: Professor Layton's London Life

In the bonus 8-bit role-playing game Professor Layton's London Life, the player's character lives in "Little London" with Professor Layton and a number of characters from the series. Players can customize their character with special clothing and collect items and furniture. Some of these help the player's character to enter certain areas of the city or perform tasks that help out the townspeople.
Key Game Features

• Classic Professor Layton puzzle gameplay featuring a multitude of brain teasers, riddles and conundrums, a built-in help system, an in-game inventory, and engrossing animations, characters and music
  • Prequel to the existing game series and the Professor Layton movie, Professor Layton and the Eternal Diva, The Last Specter relates the origins of the puzzling-solving Professor Hershel Layton and how he met his current assistant, Luke Triton
  • Professor Layton and the Last Specter serves is the first in a new trilogy of Professor Layton games
  • The Last Specter contains more puzzles than any game in the series to date
  • Free downloadable puzzles will be available weekly after the game's launch (broadband Internet connection required)
  • Players also get the bonus role-playing game, Professor Layton's London Life that contains 100 hours of additional content
Additional Screenshots

A mysterious series prequel.
View larger.

More puzzles than ever before.
View larger.

Vivid environments & music.
View larger.

Challenging yet accessible play.
View larger.

Product Description

Professor Layton is back with a puzzling prequel. The start of a second trilogy the the adventures of Professor Layton, the story for this fourth DS Layton game kicks off three years prior to the events of the original Professor Layton and the Curious Village. Professor Layton, visiting the mysterious "city of mist," comes into the acquaintance of a young Luke for the first time. He also meets Remi Altiwa, a new heroine. The three embark on a quest surrounding the legend of a giant that threatens to destroy the city. Professor Layton and the Last Specter connects directly to the Layton movie, so fans of the series get the complete story first in the game and then continued in the events of the movie.
If some reminds me i can put up some trailers.

Just got an email from Amazon about the release date.
Already had it pre-ordered. Another game to add to the Fall of Fun.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cool just picked up Curious Village from Sears for $5, so this is good news. Now I just need to track down Diabolical Box and Unwound Future for cheap.

I LOVED the first two games, but Unwound Future didn't draw me in like the previous games, so I never finished it. I guess I need to go back and try to get through it again before I get this one.

Oh man! Luckily a B2G1 free isn't too far in the horizon.

I haven't gotten through Unwound Future for the same reasons as pitfallharry219, but it looks like I'll have to power through this game this month.

[quote name='62t']I think story wise Unwound Future is the best[/QUOTE]

Definitely most interesting and "believable" story, but I liked the surprises and randomness and freedom of movement in the overworld best in the first one. Seems like they were trying to make it a bit more linear in the 2nd (and 3rd) game to help gamers who got lost and I think they went way too far in the 2nd one. The 3rd game was very annoying, partially because it was also somewhat linear (not as bad as 2nd, but not as free as 1st) but moreso the 3rd one was annoying because of the ridiculous backtracking! "Oh, you just missed Mr. x, go to such-and-such a place to see him." Then you would go there, and you would just miss him again and have to go right back to where you just were. Ugghhh!

Anyone getting excited for this? I haven't read a whole lot about what the 100-hour RPG entails, can someone fill me in? So far all I know is it takes place in London and you do fetch quests and errands for people, and can do stuff like drive a double-decker bus and pick up people. Does it have a story or any fighting or party combat in it? Seems like it would get kind of stale just running errands and things.

This is a day 1 buy for me and that is RARE. As far as I know its a full out rpg, by the same studio that developed Mother 3.

[quote name='maigoyume']This is a day 1 buy for me and that is RARE. As far as I know its a full out rpg, by the same studio that developed Mother 3.[/QUOTE]

Only because of Shigesato Itoi. Otherwise Brownie Brown is a pretty mediocre team

[quote name='keithp']Anyone getting excited for this? I haven't read a whole lot about what the 100-hour RPG entails, can someone fill me in? So far all I know is it takes place in London and you do fetch quests and errands for people, and can do stuff like drive a double-decker bus and pick up people. Does it have a story or any fighting or party combat in it? Seems like it would get kind of stale just running errands and things.[/QUOTE]
Sounds like it's just the errands.

[quote name='maigoyume']Awwww I liked her name as Remy, why did they bother changing it to Emmy?[/QUOTE]
I guess Nintendo likes to "improve."

Nintendo Power gave it an 85.

Game Revolution (whoever they are) gave it an 83 and wrote a review. The part that I care most about, London Life, they said:

"Layton's London Life, an Animal Crossing-style RPG based on the series, is included with the game and offers more than 100 hours of merriment, but it's only for players who don't expect any puzzle-solving involved and enjoy fetch quests to the point of dullness. The point is to earn Happiness and Wealth by completing quests and doing jobs, but both are easily obtained just by being good at being a juggler or a ticket agent (it's not hard) and then, contrary to the saying, spending Wealth to buy Happiness. Making a nice house and playing a few mini-games can be enjoyable, but after several hours, it just becomes a chore."

I'm disappointed. :(

The way I see it is that its a bonus, I was going to pick up the game anyway, this was just a fun extra. Besides its not like we're being charged over msrp for it, disappointing as it may be I'm still looking forward to it.

[quote name='utopianmachine']Nintendo Power gave it an 85.

Game Revolution (whoever they are) gave it an 83 and wrote a review. The part that I care most about, London Life, they said:

"Layton's London Life, an Animal Crossing-style RPG based on the series, is included with the game and offers more than 100 hours of merriment, but it's only for players who don't expect any puzzle-solving involved and enjoy fetch quests to the point of dullness. The point is to earn Happiness and Wealth by completing quests and doing jobs, but both are easily obtained just by being good at being a juggler or a ticket agent (it's not hard) and then, contrary to the saying, spending Wealth to buy Happiness. Making a nice house and playing a few mini-games can be enjoyable, but after several hours, it just becomes a chore."

I'm disappointed. :([/QUOTE]

I'm not surprised. If it was any good, it wouldn't be so hard to find impressions of it online.

I'm out of town and attempted to pick this up today. ToysRUs didn't even have it, and Best Buy has the balls to charge $39.99 for it.

Sigh. I guess no Professor Layton until Friday. Bullshit, man.

Got it. So far, it's Layton. They've actually make some improvements over the first 3, which while impressive, probably should've come 2 games ago. London Life is better than I expected, so far.

[quote name='007']I'm out of town and attempted to pick this up today. ToysRUs didn't even have it, and Best Buy has the balls to charge $39.99 for it.

Sigh. I guess no Professor Layton until Friday. Bullshit, man.[/QUOTE]

I saw that, too. I was surprised as Best Buy usually doesn't overcharge for games like that. Usually it's Gamestop and their "Nintendo tax."

Apparently London Life not only has tag mode, but if you pop in friend codes you can connect to a friend's game somehow? This is news to me.

[quote name='SuperPhillip']I saw that, too. I was surprised as Best Buy usually doesn't overcharge for games like that. Usually it's Gamestop and their "Nintendo tax."[/QUOTE]

Even the normal 'Nintendo tax' is like $5, though, which is why this caught me totally off guard. I can only figure that it's a screw-up and they categorized it with 3DS games. Or, the conspiracy theory version, which is that they figured if people pay $40 for a 3DS game, they'll pay $40 for this.

The only consolation is that I knew enough to catch it. I'd imagine there will be people that don't even bat an eye.

Very annoyed with Amazon right now, I preordered about a month ago and now got an email saying I won't get it until October 31St at the earliest. This series isn't -that- popular.

[quote name='detectiveconan16']The spine sure does contrast with the other Layton games. It doesn't even have the logo![/QUOTE]
I noticed that too. Kinda disappointing.

[quote name='banzaiwolfe']Very annoyed with Amazon right now, I preordered about a month ago and now got an email saying I won't get it until October 31St at the earliest. This series isn't -that- popular.[/QUOTE]

Its not the popularity, I think it's just not very many copies are available. All the stores I've been to ad few copies, some were already sold out.

[quote name='KingBroly']So is Layton 4 better than Layton 3?[/QUOTE]

It has more content and puzzles.

I'd rate them like this from what I've played thus far:

Unwound Future = Last Specter > Curious Village > Diabolical Box

I agree that Diabolical Box is the "worst", but what made Unwound Future better for you than Curious Village? I really liked Curious Village better because of the completely free roaming and no forced backtracking, like in Unwound Future. Plus, I thought the puzzles were more varied in the first also (although that could be just because of familiarity now, since I never tallied up the number of each type... but Unwound did seem a tad more repetitive).

This morning while doing ad set at Best Buy I noticed they put the price down to $29.99. Also they corrected it on .com to the same price, and took down the crazy "Pre-order and pick up on the 17th!" that they had going on up until yesterday. So if you still need a copy, it should be corrected nationwide now.

I picked it up day 1, but still haven't had a chance to play. Still finishing up Curious Village (I played them out of order).

London Life seems...odd so far. Granted I haven't put much time into it, but it seems like something someone would put together in flash. I'm going to finish Unwound Future first...but that may take me a bit since I've only done 30 puzzles or so thus far.

bread's done
Back