Amazon DotD - Daria: The Complete Series - $25.99

ssjmichael

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Last edited by a moderator:
Mods: please delete both of these threads and make a new one under a random name that's slightly less appealing all around...due to licensing issues.

I used to watch it sporadically on MTV so I don't remember much of the original music, but the choices used for replacement seem to fit the scenes and are not obnoxious. Watching it years later on DVD it's quite amusing that MTV has come to resemble much of what Daria mocked (about television specifically) when it first aired.

I've purchased both this set and one of those sets that had the original broadcast version as well. I originally bought the other one for the exact reason mentioned above; it had the music unchanged. WKRP had the exact same problem when they started trying to put it out on DVD. This non-commercial release version of Daria was even better at the time, because it was cheaper than the $60-70 the production set cost (though not by much).

The problem was, that version is of a drastically lower quality than this set is. Not only was the video quality poorer, the sound quality was too. There were large jumps in volume, video and audio artifacts all over the place, and certain cuts that almost certainly came in a couple of beats later than they should have. Honestly, I found those issues to be far more distracting than the changed music ever was.

tl;dr

Although this set doesn't have the original background music, it is of a much higher quality than non-commercial releases. At $25 for the entire series and both movies, you shouldn't pass it up just because it doesn't have Gettin Jiggy Wit It.

bread's done
Back