CAGiversary!
Feedback
76 (100%)
pklol.png

http://www.dqx.jp/

From neogaf
Details:
- First internally developed DQ game at Square Enix
- Produced by Yosuke Saito (NIER) and directed by Jin Fujisawa (DQ8, DQ9)
- Online RPG for Wii and WiiU
- The Wii version will be released in 2012 in Japan, no date for WiiU version
- The WiiU version will have much better graphics, but the world will be the same
- The opening movie is by Square Visual Works

- The game takes place in a world with 5 continents, and 5 different races/tribes living in them
- Massive world and story that builds on the foundations of DQ9's ideas
- Visible equipment
- For those who play alone there will be NPCs who can be recruited into the party and driven by AI
- There are battle transitions, and the combat commands at menu based, but the player only controls his/her character

- The Wii game supports Wiimote+Nunchuck, Classic Controller, Classic Controller Pro, as well as USB Keyboards
- The Wii game will use both the game disc as well as USB memory storage
- There could be a feature where characters can be transferred onto the 3DS and shared with other players using Streetpass

- The website lists "Price / usage fee: TBD" (Thanks Jonnyram)
- 1UP has a detailed write-up here. http://www.1up.com/news/square-confirms-dragon-quest-online
- One player can create three characters. i.e. You have three character slots if you want to switch between different race/class builds.
- There's gameplay footage here. http://nintendoeverything.com/73061/

This is going back several years, but I remember when Square and Enix merged, they stated that Final Fantasy would be their "experimental" series going forward, while Dragon Quest would remain the "traditional" series. Obviously DQ9 already contradicted this plan, but I am a little surprised they're going forward in this direction, particularly on a home console. I thought maybe there would be a DQ Online spinoff for portables instead. Interesting, regardless.

We're getting an HD Dragon Quest MMO!?!?!??!?!?!

I'm spurtin' here!

edit: Wow, you can have friends play in your party? Visible overworld enemies. Damn, the only way this could be any better is if a slime blue Wii gets released to commemorate this.

Is this coming out in the US for sure? If so it sounds very good, but I am not willing to pay usage fees for the online part of the game.

Really hope:
- There isn't a big delay between the Wii and Wii U versions.
- They don't half-ass the Wii U textures/models/etc.
- They don't change their mind on the 3DS StreetPass functionality.
- That I have the patience to withstand years of "wah wah MMO" bitching about how this isn't an offline game.

I really hope this is good, I'm a huge fan of the Dragon Quest series and I hope making it go MMO doesn't ruin the game

office-space-samir-&-michael.jpg

Yes, this is horrible, this idea.

Online on the Wii and developed internally by S-E. It would take a miracle for this not to be a complete disaster.

[quote name='pete5883']That I have the patience to withstand years of "wah wah MMO" bitching about how this isn't an offline game.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Dead of Knight'] It would take a miracle for this not to be a complete disaster.[/QUOTE]

That was quick.

[quote name='pete5883']That I have the patience to withstand years of "wah wah MMO" bitching about how this isn't an offline game.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Dead of Knight']Yes, this is horrible, this idea.[/QUOTE]

That was quick.

[quote name='KingBroly']So is it going to be like Monster Hunter or Final Fantasy XI?[/QUOTE]

I get the impression it will be far, far, closer to XI than MH though not exactly like either. However some sites are claiming it is closer to MH. MH doesn't really have the whole persistent world thing going for it though. We'll see.

edit: On a personal not I was planning to stockpile Wii games while I focused on the 3DS and then get a Wii U as close to launch as reasonably possible but I guess I'll be breaking down and importing a fourth Wii. I guess I'll hold out and see if there is a special DQ edition Wii because there is no way we'll be getting other than production white Wii U's at launch.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']Online on the Wii and developed internally by S-E. It would take a miracle for this not to be a complete disaster.[/QUOTE]

Maybe SE has been hoarding all the good talent to make this happen and that's why they've released so much suck lately :D On a serious note I really can't imagine Horii letting SE push a pile of shit out the door. Give him some credit.

[quote name='cochesecochese']We're getting an HD Dragon Quest MMO!?!?!??!?!?!

I'm spurtin' here!

edit: Wow, you can have friends play in your party? Visible overworld enemies. Damn, the only way this could be any better is if a slime blue Wii gets released to commemorate this.[/QUOTE]
Any slime blue Wii/Wii U would never come out here, though :whistle2:(

Still, I share your excitement :D Not entirely happy about the lack of Level-5, but otherwise, this might be the first MMO I take seriously and actually play.

[quote name='cochesecochese']On a serious note I really can't imagine Horii letting SE push a pile of shit out the door. Give him some credit.[/QUOTE]
This. Horii is not going to make a bad DQ game, no matter who develops it (for that matter, neither is Square Enix, since DQ is such a big cash cow). There's a reason why the main series entries take so long to come out.

ETA: Online Connection Required to Play All of Dragon Quest X

In a brief response to the question "Is it not possible to play without an internet connection," the support page says "It's possible to play offline for the first few hours after the start of the game. However, to play all elements of the game, an internet connection is required."

Last edited by a moderator:
Look at it this way guys:
- No Friend Codes
- Somewhat high possibility of it coming to other platforms (In Japan)

[quote name='KingBroly']Look at it this way guys:
- No Friend Codes
- Somewhat high possibility of it coming to other platforms (In Japan)[/QUOTE]

I donno man. I'd imagine Nintendo would be holding onto this with a deathgrip buuuuut you never know.

Surprisingly the 2ch reaction isn't too crazy over this. Perhaps SQEX will stick this one through to the end instead of caving like after the IX reveal ARPG backlash.

[quote name='blueshinra']Any slime blue Wii/Wii U would never come out here, though :whistle2:(

Still, I share your excitement :D Not entirely happy about the lack of Level-5, but otherwise, this might be the first MMO I take seriously and actually play.

This. Horii is not going to make a bad DQ game, no matter who develops it (for that matter, neither is Square Enix, since DQ is such a big cash cow). There's a reason why the main series entries take so long to come out.[/i][/QUOTE]

yet they let FF14 happened.

[quote name='blueshinra']ETA: Online Connection Required to Play All of Dragon Quest X

In a brief response to the question "Is it not possible to play without an internet connection," the support page says "It's possible to play offline for the first few hours after the start of the game. However, to play all elements of the game, an internet connection is required."[/QUOTE]

I hope this mean the game will tie to an online account with gamesave on an online server. Last thing we need is hackers messing things up.

[quote name='Strell']That was quick.[/QUOTE]

If you didn't think I of all people wouldn't raise a stink, then I don't think you know me well enough. ;)

[quote name='cochesecochese']
Maybe SE has been hoarding all the good talent to make this happen and that's why they've released so much suck lately :D On a serious note I really can't imagine Horii letting SE push a pile of shit out the door. Give him some credit.[/QUOTE]

He'll be 58 by the time this comes out. Would not be surprised if he didn't have some senility in him by then. Plus, the series has been on a down since 5. It's due for a real stinker. I have plenty of confidence that Yoichi Wada will find some way to fuck this up.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']
He'll be 58 by the time this comes out. Would not be surprised if he didn't have some senility in him by then. Plus, the series has been on a down since 5. It's due for a real stinker. I have plenty of confidence that Yoichi Wada will find some way to fuck this up.[/QUOTE]

Well Wada certainly got his. Stock drop of 11% on the announcement.

Personally I'm excited for this. It all depends on the content however. We'll see if a drop like this is enough to get them to change things or if they're too far in development.

Something tells me this will end up in the bargain bin quickly in the USA if it requires an always on internet connection just to play the game. LOTS of people here in the USA do not have internet at home, and these people still buy video games. Video game makers need to understand that. Even more don't connect their Wii to the internet since they just use it for wii sports.

[quote name='SaraAB']Something tells me this will end up in the bargain bin quickly in the USA if it requires an always on internet connection just to play the game. LOTS of people here in the USA do not have internet at home, and these people still buy video games. Video game makers need to understand that. Even more don't connect their Wii to the internet since they just use it for wii sports.[/QUOTE]

Again, the Wii attach ratio is just behind the PS3, so this point is false. Try to accept this.

Here is a question. Can a user buy the Wii version than upgrade everything to Wii-U. I mean buy the Wii version then have everything the same, just needing to buy a Wii-U disk. That would suck if a person loses all his crap and stuff just to get higher textures.

Now I am quiet surprised at the announcement seeing FF XIV was a huge success :lol:. I am open minded though, could be a good game, or like any game could turn out bad. Only time will tell.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']Here is a question. Can a user buy the Wii version than upgrade everything to Wii-U. I mean buy the Wii version then have everything the same, just needing to buy a Wii-U disk. That would suck if a person loses all his crap and stuff just to get higher textures.

Now I am quiet surprised at the announcement seeing FF XIV was a huge success :lol:. I am open minded though, could be a good game, or like any game could turn out bad. Only time will tell.[/QUOTE]

I would assume it will be like FFXI where you save is store online and you can use the same account on Ps2, Xbox 360 and PC

I'm skeptical, but I wasn't sure about DQ9 until it got such universal praise, and then I ended up logging over 200 hours on it (just like Reggie ;)).

I don't anticipate getting a Wii U, so here's hoping the Wii version is worth it.

Some info from the press conference yesterday (via andriasang):

• The game's story will have lots of volume, with the hope that players can continue to play online for a long time.
  • Outside of story, you'll find a lot of gameplay content, as each of the game's five races have their own specific quests.
  • While it's common for online games to not have an "ending" with a "last boss," it appears that this will not apply to DQX.
  • The game's inn facility will now have a concierge. The concierge will give you info about events.
  • While the game will have auto save, you'll still be able to go to the church to pray in order to save.
  • The game will have a post office through which you can send letters and items to friends without directly meeting.
  • The game world will be many times bigger than Dragon Quest VIII's massive world.
  • Your player character is actually human, but after some sort of happening, he turns into one of the five announced races.
  • You start the game off in a small village, where you live with either your brother or sister. The game's character making feature allows you to create this family member as well.

From Wada's mouth (andriasang):

"We're not making them all online," said Wada of future titles in the DQ series. "We'll continue with a variety of developments, online included."

Lots of speculation already about XI being on 3DS, given that we're already seeing Rocket Slime 3 and the Dragon Quest Monsters remake for the system. It will be interesting to see if Armor project splits off a group to keep updating DQX or if everyone will just jump ship over to XI.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']
office-space-samir-&-michael.jpg

Yes, this is horrible, this idea.

Online on the Wii and developed internally by S-E. It would take a miracle for this not to be a complete disaster.[/QUOTE]

I have to begrudgingly agree with you DoK. I'm cautiously optimistic about this game.

I hope it will use the Wii Speak, but it probably won't.

I'll still play the shit out of it

More than one person in your party? Monsters appear on the screen? There are hundreds of F2P MMO games out there that sound exactly like this. FFXIV bombed coming out of the gate, and despite FFXI's die hard following, it's not nearly as good as the majority of other FF titles. Then there are the monthly fees SE has charged for both games, which I'm sure will be included in this.

All hope is lost for this title, in my opinion.

[quote name='cochesecochese']On a serious note I really can't imagine Horii letting SE push a pile of shit out the door. Give him some credit.[/QUOTE]

Credit = REVOKED.

Except Dragon Quest X is really targeted towards Japan. I don't think it's going to do well outside of Japan because of it, though. And given how long it's taken Dragon Quest games to come out as of late, it'll probably hurt the sales potential for another generation or 6.

I'm still excited for it, though. As long as it comes out in a timely manner and is affordable.

Agreed with KingBorly on all counts. I hope they don't charge too much for of a monthly fee for it, but I hope they charge for it to keep the hackers kiddies out of it.

I think I will be getting this for the Wii, because the Wii U sounds really expensive.

Also can't wait for this game. It would be nice if it came out in the winter when I have free time to play it, but it won't.

bread's done
Back