* * * * - 19 votes

The Last Days of the Hastings / GoHastings Universe - Check the latest posts!

gohastings hastings

#9991 ritchardf   add ritchardf on psn CAGiversary!   4063 Posts   Joined 10.0 Years Ago  

Posted Yesterday, 05:59 PM

There are reports that Kmart is currently liquidating and preparing for bankruptcy according to store employees.  

probably 5 years to late to save sears, its just a matter of time

#9992 Blade   National Corruption Day 7/5/16 CAGiversary!   12559 Posts   Joined 11.1 Years Ago  

Posted Yesterday, 06:05 PM

Eh, I've heard that K-Mart is going out of business for almost two years now from its employees.

#9993 The Green Giant   Leader of the Veggies CAGiversary!   8100 Posts   Joined 9.6 Years Ago  

The Green Giant

Posted Yesterday, 07:15 PM

Eh, I've heard that K-Mart is going out of business for almost two years now from its employees.

I think to them it's the only hope they have to finally get out of their misery. 

“Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free… but only if you are Christian."

#9994 DNukem170   I plan 3 times faster than other birbs! CAGiversary!   8457 Posts   Joined 10.6 Years Ago  

DNukem170

Posted Yesterday, 07:21 PM

Everyone in this thread will be long dead by the time media goes all digital.

Twitter / eBayYouTube

Mario Maker Levels:

Eat, Eat, Eat! - 7822-0000-003B-1001 / 10-Second Flying - B241-0000-0040-F9C0​ / Journey to the Tree of​ Beginning - 3A99-0000-0021-0F8E / And We're the Game Grumps! E28E-0000-0241-F002 / Collect the Gym Badges! 1C79-0000-01F9-86F3 / Mewtwo Strikes Back 301C-0000-00FE-43F5

#9995 mitch079   Fun hurts my lungs. CAGiversary!   11829 Posts   Joined 12.2 Years Ago  

mitch079

Posted Yesterday, 07:22 PM

I guess the big sign is that all of the stock rooms are being purged so everything is out on the floor.

http://www.businessi...-failing-2016-7

mmitch079.pngmmitch079.pngmmitch079.png

#9996 Rick4Life  

Posted Yesterday, 07:24 PM

There are reports that Kmart is currently liquidating and preparing for bankruptcy according to store employees.

They have been leaving cities for a decade. Houston lost all its K-Mart's over 10 years ago.

#9997 ArugulaZ   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1126 Posts   Joined 11.8 Years Ago  

Posted Yesterday, 07:41 PM

They shut down a store in Alma MI last year; they're about to close one in Nogales AZ. K-Marts have been dropping like flies over the last decade... when the company ultimately closes, it'll be less a matter of "it was only a matter of time" and more "what took them so long?"

#9998 Stickboy46   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   796 Posts   Joined 4.6 Years Ago  

Stickboy46

Posted Yesterday, 07:54 PM

Everyone in this thread will be long dead by the time media goes all digital.

Unless you are planning on the world ending in the next 10 or so years... That would be incorrect.

#9999 ritchardf   add ritchardf on psn CAGiversary!   4063 Posts   Joined 10.0 Years Ago  

Posted Yesterday, 08:04 PM

Unless you are planning on the world ending in the next 10 or so years... That would be incorrect.

well, have you watched the news lately? 10 more years the way we are going now seems pretty optimistic

#10000 DNukem170   I plan 3 times faster than other birbs! CAGiversary!   8457 Posts   Joined 10.6 Years Ago  

DNukem170

Posted Yesterday, 08:11 PM

Yea, because the news never skews facts towards an agenda.

PC games will be the only platform to go digital only. Consoles will still sell physical media, or do you think the hubub over the XBox One going all digital or the fears over the NX going digital only are one-time things? Or hell, the failure of literally every single digital-only gaming machine?

And if you seriously think an all digital world would mean every game will be under $30 consistently you are delusional.

Then again, I likely WILL be dead in less than 10 years, so what the Fuck do I care?

Twitter / eBayYouTube

Mario Maker Levels:

Eat, Eat, Eat! - 7822-0000-003B-1001 / 10-Second Flying - B241-0000-0040-F9C0​ / Journey to the Tree of​ Beginning - 3A99-0000-0021-0F8E / And We're the Game Grumps! E28E-0000-0241-F002 / Collect the Gym Badges! 1C79-0000-01F9-86F3 / Mewtwo Strikes Back 301C-0000-00FE-43F5

#10001 Stickboy46   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   796 Posts   Joined 4.6 Years Ago  

Stickboy46

Posted Yesterday, 08:26 PM

Yea, because the news never skews facts towards an agenda.

PC games will be the only platform to go digital only. Consoles will still sell physical media, or do you think the hubub over the XBox One going all digital or the fears over the NX going digital only are one-time things? Or hell, the failure of literally every single digital-only gaming machine?

And if you seriously think an all digital world would mean every game will be under $30 consistently you are delusional.

Then again, I likely WILL be dead in less than 10 years, so what the Fuck do I care?

For how much push back there was on an always connected console, some of the biggest games this gen require an always on connection to play. Consumers are accepting it more and more. Or the market is moving this way.

And i agree, it won't move games to be cheaper. Digital is cheaper for the manufacturer, so the move is to increase corporate profits. The same reason music and books are headed that way too.

#10002 DNukem170   I plan 3 times faster than other birbs! CAGiversary!   8457 Posts   Joined 10.6 Years Ago  

DNukem170

Posted Yesterday, 08:57 PM

Yea, but there's still hundreds of games out there that don't require an Internet connection to play. Unless every single video game is entirely online multiplayer a la Overwatch, there will always be a huge blowback to always being online.

If that actually does happen, I'll have an excuse to limit my gaming since I don't give a flying Fuck about online multiplayer. It's one of the biggest (but far from only) reasons why I don't care about Overwatch at all.

Then again, gaming seems to have passed me by. I can count on one hand the number of games I'm looking forward to by the end of the year. I'm more excited for Sonic 2017 than I am for literally everything shown at the Microsoft and Sony E3 press conference. Over half of my digital game library are old games and most of them I still have the physical versions of. Of games that were released physically and digitally at the same time, I own less than double digits, and several of those were free.

As for music and books, I can see why the digital versions have taken over, especially music, but even then, physical books are still going to be made a decade from now.

Though it will be interesting to see what happens to the digital world when Amazon and Wikipedia go under.

Twitter / eBayYouTube

Mario Maker Levels:

#10003 RoytheRobot   El Piraguero. CAGiversary!   2260 Posts   Joined 2.9 Years Ago  

RoytheRobot

Posted Yesterday, 09:15 PM

Man, goHastings was awesome for me. A lot of good sales. I'm going to miss them.

3DS Friend Code: 2895-7855-8742    Wii U NNID: RoytheRobot

Click here if you want cash back on almost all your online purchases

#10004 redreflect   I am the Wolf CAGiversary!   1269 Posts   Joined 4.5 Years Ago  

redreflect

Posted Yesterday, 09:18 PM

RIP Hastings. My only regret is that I never got to visit a physical store.

There is no one true CAG. Some are more "gamer," some are more "cheap" and certainly some are far more "ass."

#10005 kodave   Huh. CAGiversary!   4387 Posts   Joined 7.1 Years Ago  

Posted Yesterday, 09:42 PM

Don't sleep on betterworldbooks.  They have pretty good sales from time to time.

I think I've seen them on Amazon Marketplace or eBay, or maybe abebooks or alibris.

Is their main website any different than any of the above?

If they're just one of those mass resellers that makes money off sheer volume who shoves shit in a barely padded envelope like Hastings, I'm probably not too interested.

I like eBay when I can buy from regular people who I can remind to package something securely and if it doesn't come as described, eBay is of course buyer friendly. The big resellers don't give a shit about packaging though. And I mainly use the Prime shipping on Amazon Marketplace to get books for under $5 or whatever.

Hastings was only worth the gamble despite their poor shipping practices because they had some insane sales/deals/mistakes/glitches and generally you could return something easily enough if it arrived in really bad shape, or just re-sell it and break even because of the low acquisition cost in the first place.

#10006 Stickboy46   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   796 Posts   Joined 4.6 Years Ago  

Stickboy46

Posted Yesterday, 09:42 PM

Yea, but there's still hundreds of games out there that don't require an Internet connection to play. Unless every single video game is entirely online multiplayer a la Overwatch, there will always be a huge blowback to always being online.

If that actually does happen, I'll have an excuse to limit my gaming since I don't give a flying Fuck about online multiplayer. It's one of the biggest (but far from only) reasons why I don't care about Overwatch at all.

Then again, gaming seems to have passed me by. I can count on one hand the number of games I'm looking forward to by the end of the year. I'm more excited for Sonic 2017 than I am for literally everything shown at the Microsoft and Sony E3 press conference. Over half of my digital game library are old games and most of them I still have the physical versions of. Of games that were released physically and digitally at the same time, I own less than double digits, and several of those were free.

As for music and books, I can see why the digital versions have taken over, especially music, but even then, physical books are still going to be made a decade from now.

Though it will be interesting to see what happens to the digital world when Amazon and Wikipedia go under.

Makes sense why you see the market not going digital if you personally don't like online only games. The market seems to have a different viewpoint than you.

Guess we have to agree to disagree as we are trying to guess a future event and neither of us can be right or wrong.

As far as Amazon .. They have way more to their business than just their digital storefront. Even if that part went under, their other businesses would be fine.

#10007 mitch079   Fun hurts my lungs. CAGiversary!   11829 Posts   Joined 12.2 Years Ago  

mitch079

Posted Yesterday, 11:44 PM

Stopped in my local store today and it looked like Black Friday. Easily the busiest I've ever seen it.

Some sales I recall:

30% off used games

10% off new games

5% off video game hardware and accessories

30% off used movies

10% off new movies

20% off action figures, children's toys, t-shirts, board games

They've haulted all rentals and are selling most for $19.99 (blu) and $14.99 (DVD) respectively. No additional discounts apply to rentals.

My store was pretty much the same except they weren't selling movie rentals at this point.  The % off for movies applies to tv series as well.  Books were 30% off used, 10% off new, with the exception of new bargain books which were also 30% off.  I think comics were either 20 or 30% off.  Rental games were 39.99 or less.

mmitch079.pngmmitch079.pngmmitch079.png

#10008 commandercody83   SAMURAI!!! CAGiversary!   1095 Posts   Joined 7.8 Years Ago  

commandercody83

Posted Today, 01:07 AM

We checked out our local store (Cape Girardeau, MO) today after receiving the email. I just wanted to see it for myself:

42e4335355f6629f1f360680411a3434.jpg

But seriously it was sad. I've been a customer for years and to see the liquidation start breaks my heart.

Current breakdown is:
Trends 20% off (soft goods/action figures/collectibles)
New music/books/movies 10% off
Used music/book/movies 30% off
Graphic novels 30% off
Video games new 10% off
Video games used 30% off
Video game accessories 5% off

"Missouri is #1 flyover state" - Jabroni Times
For Shovelry!

#10009 Sayu Kween   Occasionally Helpful CAGiversary!   45 Posts   Joined 1.1 Years Ago  

Sayu Kween

Posted Today, 04:17 AM

Damn. I thought maybe they would've forgot, and you could still buy items through their eBay and Amazon marketplaces. Nope. They've removed everything on there too. There really is no way to buy anything from Hastings online anymore.

#10010 keyblader1985   Wait, what? CAGiversary!   2077 Posts   Joined 3.4 Years Ago  

keyblader1985

Posted Today, 05:50 AM

My nearest Hastings is in another town. If the online store is gone, then that's it for me.

So long, Hastings. Thanks for the deals and the memories.