Dead Rising 2: Off the Record (PS3/360) - $29.99 shipped at Newegg

ssjmichael

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Newegg has DR2: Off the Record for $29.99 after applying the following code: 24HRSALE97B

This is a Pre-order that releases 10/11/11

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=dead+rising+2+off&x=0&y=0

For those that don't know, this is sort of a re-telling of DR2 but with Frank West, the star of the original instead. I've read a lot of mixed reactions on the decision to release this, as some consider this a DLC add-on at best. Still this isn't such a bad deal for those that don't own the original. Even for those that do they did seem to add a lot of new things:

79-233-057-10.jpg

Description:

Dead Rising 2: Off the Record, sees photojournalist and original hero of Dead Rising's Willamette incident, Frank West take center stage as players experience a reimagining of the Fortune City outbreak. Forget what you know about Dead Rising 2,"Frank West is back in the game!" The new, "Off the Record" storyline means an all new Dead Rising 2 experience. Frank will face off against more twisted enemies, build more outrageous combo weapons, follow his own unique mission structure and explore brand new areas of Fortune City to get his biggest scoop yet. Frank's come back means the return of his trusty camera, with players able to earn Prestige Points (PP) for specific photo opportunities that are graded against criteria such as horror, drama, erotica and brutality. In addition to the new scenario and gameplay enhancements, Dead Rising 2: Off the Record offers a suite of technical updates including load time optimizations, improved network performance and a host of system upgrades to deliver a more satisfying Dead Rising experience.

Features

Frank West is back - The original Dead Rising hero returns to get the scoop on the Fortune City outbreak.

Fortune City but not as you know it - Experience a re-interpretation of the Fortune City outbreak through the eyes and camera of photojournalist Frank West.
New story and missions unique to Frank West
New environments
New enemies and more psychotic Psychos
New crazy and hilarious combo-weapons
New items and vehicles

Say "Cheese!" - Capture those classic, violent, scary, hilarious Dead Rising moments, earn Prestige Points and complete all new missions with Frank's new and improved camera feature.

Upgraded Experience - Full of technical improvements, system enhancements and feature upgrades to create a faster, smoother, more satisfying Dead Rising.

Last edited by a moderator:
soooo.. does this mean the game is actually good now? With controls that are actually decent, and not on a constant crappy timer?

Nice, thanks OP. I'm liking the Newegg preorder deals lately (especially since, unlike Amazon, they don't charge me tax).

[quote name='Kenshindono']soooo.. does this mean the game is actually good now? With controls that are actually decent, and not on a constant crappy timer?[/QUOTE]
It's the same as the others except it has a new story and a sandbox mode where you can play without the timer.

Is Capcom ever going to release DR 1 for PS3?

This is a good deal for this, and if the load times are faster than DR2 and there is the additon of an autosave feature before boss batles (in DR2 I would accidently trigger a psycho battle w/o being ready and need to reload and loose hours of game play), they fixed my 2 main issues with DR2.

[quote name='CaptainJoel']It's the same as the others except it has a new story and a sandbox mode where you can play without the timer.[/QUOTE]

DR1 also had the same type of sandbox mode. There is no timer but your health is being drained slowly and food does not respawn. This new sandbox mode has some new additions, though, such as challenges.

I'm glad they are not changing DR. :)

[quote name='xenosphere']DR1 also had the same type of sandbox mode. There is no timer but your health is being drained slowly and food does not respawn. This new sandbox mode has some new additions, though, such as challenges.

I'm glad they are not changing DR. :)[/QUOTE]
Wait you mean it was like that in DR1, or it's like that in this version also? If that's the way it is in DR2 then no fucking thanks.

[quote name='ShockandAww']Wait you mean it was like that in DR1, or it's like that in this version also? If that's the way it is in DR2 then no fucking thanks.[/QUOTE]
It's only like that in the extra sandbox mode. You can still play through the story with the regular timer and your health won't drain.

@Xenospehere, seriously? I was under the impression from what I'd heard that it wasn't survival mode and actually just like regular DR just without the timer. Pretty disappointed that it's just survival mode again.

Yes, it's like that in this version, too. It can also be played in co-op, like the main game.

EDIT: I believe you can get cash from challenges and other things and then you could probably use the vending machines to get food. I'm pretty sure those are confirmed to be in. Also, some challenges involve food. So, in some ways, it might be easier.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='waldo21212']Is Capcom ever going to release DR 1 for PS3?

This is a good deal for this, and if the load times are faster than DR2 and there is the additon of an autosave feature before boss batles (in DR2 I would accidently trigger a psycho battle w/o being ready and need to reload and loose hours of game play), they fixed my 2 main issues with DR2.[/QUOTE]

If this had DR1 packed in as a DL title or even on the disc, I would have paid $40 for it even though I already have DR2.

If you played dr2, then you pretty much played enough to skip this edition. Maybe at cheaper price say 15 or lower. Then get

I loved DR2 even with the crap load times and the timer. If the timer were gone and the load times are faster I might bite.

I have never played DR1 or DR2 and don't know anything about them really. I just heard its a zombie killing game and I like zombie killing games.

So do I go for DR2 CE for $20 or DR2: OTR for $30?

I think I might wait for this at $19.99 since it's basically a DLC add-on, but thanks OP.

I (doubt it but) hope they at least have fixed those awful loooooooong loading times from the original Dead Rising 2.

[quote name='jony529']I have never played DR1 or DR2 and don't know anything about them really. I just heard its a zombie killing game and I like zombie killing games.

So do I go for DR2 CE for $20 or DR2: OTR for $30?[/QUOTE]

I've only played parts of the first, and seen vids of the second, but I like Frank West's character more. I've also heard several complaints about loading times on DR2 (both platforms) and this version is supposedly faster/better so I'd probably opt for this one

I like the camera feature too, I think I could have a lot of fun just with that

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvfSEPZ8HYM

I'm not really sure why people are dogging this so much. If it had been released as Dead Rising 3: The Return of Frank West, would anyone be complaining? The only reason it has the DR2 tag is that it uses an enhanced version of the same engine and is set in the same location as DR2. See this stuff from the original post?

New environments
New items and vehicles

Say "Cheese!" - Capture those classic, violent, scary, hilarious Dead Rising moments, earn Prestige Points and complete all new missions with Frank's new and improved camera feature.

That basically means it's an entirely new game with a different protagonist. I mean, what would people consider a full game and not "DLC"?!

[quote name='warreni']I'm not really sure why people are dogging this so much. If it had been released as Dead Rising 3: The Return of Frank West, would anyone be complaining? The only reason it has the DR2 tag is that it uses an enhanced version of the same engine and is set in the same location as DR2. See this stuff from the original post?

New environments
New items and vehicles

That basically means it's an entirely new game with a different protagonist. I mean, what would people consider a full game and not "DLC"?![/QUOTE]

Grand Theft Auto did it with Liberty & Vice City stories and I don't remember anyone complaining. This should be no different, especially since they did put in some effort for this release.

In addition to a new storyline and gameplay enhancements, Off the Record offers many technical updates including load time optimizations, improved network performance, and other system upgrades. New missions, cutscenes, environments, enemies, items, vehicles, and weapons will be available. Like the original Dead Rising, players will be able to earn Prestige Points (PP) for specific photo opportunities that are graded against criteria such as horror, drama, erotica, humor, and brutality. Off the Record also features a new sandbox mode. This allows players to explore Fortune City without the obstacle of time. Challenges placed throughout the city offer players a chance to earn additional cash.

I have issues with this game.

Mainly they are giving people Frank West which they always wanted and Capcom knew that and still went with Chuck Greene. I am sure Capcom always planned to make this game to give fans what they wanted, but never mentioned it publicly until they sold as many DR2 copies as they could.

Also, this is non-cannon so any story changes will not be reflected in a future DR title. This is basically a what-if scenario as told by Frank West "If I was in Fortune City this is what I would have done"

[quote name='warreni']I'm not really sure why people are dogging this so much. If it had been released as Dead Rising 3: The Return of Frank West, would anyone be complaining? The only reason it has the DR2 tag is that it uses an enhanced version of the same engine and is set in the same location as DR2. See this stuff from the original post?

New environments
New items and vehicles

That basically means it's an entirely new game with a different protagonist. I mean, what would people consider a full game and not "DLC"?![/QUOTE]
You can almost look at it more or less as the "Super Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition" to Street Fighter IV.

In my case, I hardly play the series for the story. I got rid of 2 when it was still $28 trade-in value on Amazon with every intention of getting this as I prefer Frank so it works out well.

$30 was my price point, particularly when I do not have to pay taxes. So I bit.

The developers said they were told by Capcom to do a "special edition" type of game like Capcom does with many of their successful titles. And as the story goes, they realized it just made more sense to bring Frank West in, tell a slightly different story, and do the usual technical tweaks.

For me, not having Frank in the second game lessened my interest. I bought DR2, played a quarter of it with a friend, and then put it away. I think I'll enjoy playing this game more than DR2 because it has my preferred DR character, more extras, and better tech.

If you're like me and wanted to like DR2 but for whatever reason couldn't get into it, this title is reason to be excited (considering the price point).

Thanks OP.

[quote name='Jcaugustine']You can almost look at it more or less as the "Super Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition" to Street Fighter IV.[/QUOTE]

I don't see the comparison. I don't play a lot of beat-'em-ups, but isn't SSIV Arcade Edition just the original game with more characters? How is that comparable to two action games set in the same place with different protagonists, different weapons, different side missions, and different stories?

I don't like to get into the system-bashing stuff personally, but it seems that a lot of the Off the Record haters are people who played the original game (DR1) on the X360 and were upset that DR2 did not feature the same character. That seems like an unfair criticism to level against a game. Off the Record seems like a nice opportunity for PS3 owners to play a game featuring the hero of the first game.

[quote name='strait edge follower']As much as I loved Dr2 I'm still wondering why this version of it is being made. Shouldn't blue castle games be working on a whole new game instead ?[/QUOTE]
Because Frank West is one of the greatest characters of all time.

[quote name='CaptainJoel']Because Frank West is one of the greatest characters of all time.[/QUOTE]

Never played part 1 so I cant agree or disagree with that. However I always thought they should have just used him for part 2 instead of using chick Greene (Greene sucked imo)

So you still lose energy in the sandbox mode...what a bummer. I wish they would just include a true exploration mode already. Disable achievements, disable level ups or whatever, just please give us a free mode without restricting conditions.

[quote name='snatcher33']Son of a b#tch......Newegg, yet again, gets me for another preorder. Damn you Newegg!!!![/QUOTE]

I know, right! They've got me down for 8!

I want to stop, because I know Buy2-Get1-Free sales are coming, but with no tax and release-week delivery, I can't help myself!

[quote name='Dysheekie']I wonder if they'll eventually release a 2 pack, with the original DR2 + this game. I may try to hold out for that.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I could see them doing that.

I feel like I'm beating a dead horse - or at least a horse nobody reads - but you can play DR2 and ignore the timer. Level up, get cool combo weapons, then restart the story already buffed and go through the timed missions with less difficulty. It's damn near impossible to do both at once.

[quote name='radioactivez0r']I feel like I'm beating a dead horse - or at least a horse nobody reads - but you can play DR2 and ignore the timer. Level up, get cool combo weapons, then restart the story already buffed and go through the timed missions with less difficulty. It's damn near impossible to do both at once.[/QUOTE]
That's what I did with the second game. The first I did both at the same time, though.

I will never understand those who fanboy for Frank West. He was cool but he was still just a standard Capcom protagonist. Chuck and Frank were practically poured from the same batter anway.

That said, from the looks of things this is going to be a rehash of DR2's ground with what looks like just a couple of extras. Unless they're offering us a better rebalancing of the bosses I really don't see myself signing up for this. Hell, the only thing that would sell it to me ARE new bosses.

I wouldn't mind New Egg if they accepted PayPal for pre-orders. They do normally accept PayPal, but not when pre-ordering. Oh well.

Capcom and Newegg got me on this one. $29.99 and I never played DR2 and wanted to, so this is/was a no-brainer for me.

It's a shame that you can't play any of the original DR2 game on this version. Kinda conflicted, since I wanna play DR2 regardless and it's getting to my buy price, and by the time I finish it up, this'll be ~$20. However, there's no harm in a cheap pre-order, right?

A downside to this, is NewEgg doesn't provide pre-order bonuses, and guess what? They have the gall to include retailer-exclusive pre-order bonuses with this game. I miss the free costume DLC with DR1 :(

Thanks op, just made it. Newegg has stolen 3 of my Amazon pre-orders. Even when I contacted Amazon CS about a price match they gave me the standard "we offer the lowest possible prices...blah blah blah" so they've lost Halo Anniversary, Arkham City, and now DR2: OTR to Newegg. If Newegg offers a deal on the Gears of War 3 Epic Edition they'll get that one too!

Personally, I thought Chuck's story was really good. I almost worry that you miss out on that nice experience if they decide to go full fan service with Frank. I don't know what to recommend with regard to DR2 now or wait for OTR

And then it's still the same game twice.

[quote name='strait edge follower']As much as I loved Dr2 I'm still wondering why this version of it is being made. Shouldn't blue castle games be working on a whole new game instead ?[/QUOTE]

They most likely already are working on a new game, with a small side team devoted to reusing old assets to make a new game.

Thanks OP, preordered this last night. I think the Dead Rising series is great and Capcom is getting way too much criticism for releasing this game. This is going to sound silly because of the influx of zombie games this generation but Dead Rising is basically its own genre in my mind because of its unique gameplay. I could play a new one every year.

For anyone who can shop at their PX or BX on any military installation.
Remember you can always verbal price match up to 10 dollars no questions asked on video game products.

This is what I have done for titles that either had credit at other places or went on sale.

Though the biggest issue is if theyll stock the game. Since for example they never stocked NMH which I could have grabbed at 30 (rather than going through amazon)
Though I'd say them getting Dead Rising is a high chance.

Just recommending that for those not wanting to wait on shipping or If newegg charges them tax and this is a available option.

Interesting interview with the dev for those interested.
http://www.ps3trophies.org/news/new...ncouver-s-Jason-Leigh-Goes-On-the-Record.html

He falls silent when asked about DR3. So thats pretty much a given that they are making it in my eyes. Also, he talks about the issues with this new release and the updates to it from DR2.

I also liked Chuck Green, but i never played the original, so i didnt have another game to compare it against.

bread's done
Back