Lost Planet 2 (Xbox 360) - $10.14 on Amazon

It may be cheap, but your time should be worth more than that. Its easily one of the worst games i've ever played.

[quote name='sneezebu']It may be cheap, but your time should be worth more than that. Its easily one of the worst games i've ever played.[/QUOTE]

Really? I've only played a little of the first LP.

Man i hated that game, The co-op did not even keep me wanting to play that one, But it's all a matter of personal opinion. For someone out there, it's a good deal.

for 10 bucks i bought it.. though from what i hear it is pretty bad. I heard they went almost exclusive co-op and multiplayer and the single player campaign is shit because of it.. hope thats not true because i dont have xbox live >_

This game has a very fun co-op campaign that's well-worth $10.
The boss encounters have a cool very Monster Hunter w/guns vibe to them, and it has some good set-pieces at times.
A couple that I remember well were one
where your team hijacks a massive transport convoy on hoverbikes, and another one where you man a giant railgun that your teammates have to manually reload for you while you battle a gargantuan sandworm.
Don't bother if you're only going to play single player though. That way lies boredom and frustration.
It also has possibly the worst story I've seen in a game. Not a single character has a face or a name.

[quote name='sneezebu']It may be cheap, but your time should be worth more than that. Its easily one of the worst games i've ever played.[/QUOTE]

I was going to post this same thing but in caps lol. This series could be so much better but besides the cool looking akrid this series blows chunks

[quote name='strait edge follower']I was going to post this same thing but in caps lol. This series could be so much better but besides the cool looking akrid this series blows chunks[/QUOTE]

I always see people say that they absolutely despise this game but they never say why, what exactly didn't you like about it? Personally I thought it was pretty good: the weapons, environments, vehicles and scenarios are unique and varied. I probably would've appreciated fighting more akrid and less pirates and I can sorta see the complaints about how single player isn't much more than playing AI in multiplayer maps (although I actually sorta enjoyed it) but I still thought it was a rather fun game.

[quote name='TealPavelski']Really? I've only played a little of the first LP.[/QUOTE]

The first was a solid game; the single-player campaign was good and quite fun. The second game, as other CAGers here say, was almost built solely for multi-player and single-player was an afterthought. The second was a huge disappointment for me and I was sad to see such a promising franchise take such a big misstep. I don't think we'll see a LP3 for a long time, if ever.

I played LP2 with a friend and still we couldn't enjoy it.

Of course, I did not like the first one in the series either. The first was endless boring shooting against dull, damage soaking enemies with a few bosses that were alright but nothing special.

LP2 removes what could be cool about all this with their kitchen-sink style nonsense in the sequel. The mook combat is even more dreadful now, largely big, dumb switch hitting arena fights, and the bosses just lack any sort of excitement.

They try to throw a series of big co-op set pieces at you, like the railgun loading boss fight, but these turn out to feel more like gimmicky chores than anything else. The fundamentals are just all wrong. They break or water down everything LP1 did right and exacerbate everything LP1 did wrong.

I agree with others, I really enjoyed this game in co-op. The single player AI is worthless, your teammates just stand around doing nothing which makes it tough to complete missions where you need more than one person to help out.

LP2 co-op is kinda fun. I don't recommend getting this game for single player. The gameplay is a bit flawed, but that was inherited from LP1. I beat the campaign like a while back and I really felt like I was playing Monster Hunter with guns. This game has things that remind me of Monster Hunter (emotes, getting slapped around by giant bosses, giant bosses, etc.)

wait.. does this have NO single player story mode, at all? That sounds pretty bad.

At the very least, does it do system link co-op or is it online only? Maybe i'll get another copy to do system link with friends

[quote name='Kenshindono']wait.. does this have NO single player story mode, at all? That sounds pretty bad.[/QUOTE]

No it does, there's cutscenes and all that... it's just that alot of the single player game feels like an afterthought, like you are just playing in multiplayer maps with AI bots. I can overlook it for the most part since the actual gameplay is fun but it would've been nice to have had a unique experience in the single player campaign.

I haven't heard good things either and I do have better ways to spend my time so thanks everyone for all the comments and for helping me save $10.14.

Bought this a long time ago from BB for 9.99. With a friend, it's actually a lot of fun, and I imagine with 4 people it'd be awesome. I played through it alone and some over xbl, and I'd say it's worth it for $10. Definitely better than the first one was but not a great game by any means.

Amazon also had used copies for $7.49 and eligible for Prime a few days ago. For that price, you can get 2-4 copies for a full co-op experience if you're crazy enough.

Fantastic game. Haven't played single-player but played through this with 2 friends and we had an absolute blast. One of the best co-op games that has come out in the past few years. The multiplayer battle is also really fun, but you won't find anyone online unless you organize something. Theres lots of mechs and levels that weren't in the campaign and the perks and weapon customization make it great.

Don't understand why this game gets so much hate unless you're expecting Shakespeare to have written the story.

[quote name='Kenshindono']wait.. does this have NO single player story mode, at all? That sounds pretty bad.

At the very least, does it do system link co-op or is it online only? Maybe i'll get another copy to do system link with friends[/QUOTE]

It also has split-screen co-op. Unfortunately the screen formatting they chose is horrible and wastes a large percentage of your screen space.

I didn't even know there was split-screen co-op. On researching it though, it doesn't sound very fun: you have no other teammates - not that the AI teammates would be worth a damn - and second player is relegated to sidekick duty a la Fable.

Having said that, the game is a steal at this price if you're into online co-op. Get a full team together and it is an absolute blast. I loved playing with the grappling hook and piloting the mechs, and flying around in the space levels was more fun than I expected. Pick up the Amazon Warehouse copy for $7 with free shipping if you're on the fence.

This game is really fun with 3 people total (up to 4) humans.

This game is ok with just a pair, but not great.

This game is terrible if you play it by yourself.

Note: All of the above also describes Left 4 Dead. This is basically a Japanese left 4 dead, with mechs and large boss fights and a terrible menu system. It's really fun if you've got a full squad of friends, though.

i dont say this too often but this game is aweful. mp is more than dead and single player is so bad it makes brink look like a diamond. Ive boughten every $10 or less game ive ever found but im staying away from this one. Id be upset if i was given this. just like the original that plagues my collection. Ive actually given it away a few times but i keep getting more in packages i buy.

[quote name='kit352']Ive boughten every $10 or less game ive ever found but im staying away from this one.[/QUOTE]

First off, for God's sake please use capitalization and punctuation. I'm sure you're young but you must be done with elementary school by now.

Second, it's bought! The past tense of buy is bought!

Thank you.

Also, yes this game is clunky, but it still has its charms.

Was looking up stuff about the coop in LP2 online after seeing this, and thought I'd share with you folks that:

1.)Split-screen coop is limited to OFFLINE ONLY. That means you + friend#1 can't sit on your couch, and play with friends#3&4 (who are sitting on another couch).

2.)When playing Split-screen coop, only player 1 can be logged into their gamertag. Player 2 is forced to use a default character / gear, and all unlocks will NOT BE SAVED for player 2.

If you're playing online with friends, awesome. If not.....this may not be for you.

Wow, it's almost down to the $5 I put down when I reserved it. lol.

After seeing the reviews I never picked it up. I held onto my Gamestop receipt though, can I still use that $5 credit?

[quote name='RollingSkull']Except Left 4 Dead manages to be fun and offer more organic teamplay than the contrived, clunky crap that is LP2[/QUOTE]
More organic teamplay in L4D? You and I have different ideas of what constitutes contrived pal. Me and my buddy had multiple ways to tackle every stage and boss (aside from the final one), I couldn't ask for a better teamplay experience. The train stage was probably the best, it took us so many tries with different strategies to be successful on hard.
The first huge boss was also awesome, we did that a few times for the extra credits, and each time we found something new to weaken it a different way, until the last one when he got swallowed and killed it from the inside!
Basically I fucking loved playing through it with my buddy, more so than either Gears of War, though I enjoyed those as well this was the best $10 I ever spent. Hell it was actually the best negative two dollars I spent since I traded it back in to BB today.

Left 4 Dead's gameplay really is far more organic. I can't believe anyone would even imagine arguing that point.

[quote name='Royal High Knight']doesn't this have marcus and dom and wesker? Are they for both single and multiplayer or just for one of them?[/QUOTE]

The 360 version does as free DLC. The PS3 version received some Killzone characters in their place. Both platforms have Wesker. IIRC this game doesn't draw a clear line between single and multiplayer, so you should be able use the skins in either mode.

[quote name='eastx']Left 4 Dead's gameplay really is far more organic. I can't believe anyone would even imagine arguing that point.[/QUOTE]

Minor LP2 gameplay spoilers ahead....

By far the most memorable level in LP2 is the one where you and your buddies hijack a gigantic train that looks to be about four stories tall. At the front of the train is cannon similar to what you'd see on a battleship. Once you take over the train, the train comes under attack from an insect that is larger than the entire train. The only things that effectively damages the boss is the cannon.

Each player must assume a role for the remainder of the level: Player 1 controls the cannon. The problem is that it turns very slowly. Player 2 spots where the boss pops up and must relay that info to Player 1. Then Player 2 must man a set of controls that allows the cannon to turn faster. Player 3 has to run three different types of cannon ammo from the back of the train to the front of the train. Player 4 has to keep the deck clear of smaller enemies so that players 1-3 can do their jobs without interruption. Communication between the four players ends up being absolutely vital for this level as things can turn on a moment's notice. Players may need to switch roles or modify exactly how they go about doing their job.

Now that situation probably falls outside what could be labeled as "organic" but I liked the change of pace from the rest of the game. I admit I've played very little of L4D, probably only a few hours. Does it offer any situations such as that where each player takes on a specific responsibility unique to a level or area? Or are there just general roles dictated by a player's location and what's in their inventory?

What you're describing is an imaginative set piece that's built around the co-op experience. Definitely very cool.

Organic has several different meanings, so I guess it depends on how you look at it. I was thinking of
having the characteristics of an organism : developing in the manner of a living plant or animal
Which is to say, in Left 4 Dead, the challenges are constantly evolving depending on how players are doing. Playing through a level can go hundreds of different ways because so many different things could happen. Somebody else could probably go into better detail than me, but the variety/randomness is truly amazing.
There are definitely parts where one or more players must do specific things in order to survive/progress, such as venturing out to radio for help while other members hold up/guard a specific area, or breaking up into teams inside a multistory mall in order to fuel an escape vehicle. And unlike Lost Planet 2, if you're playing on your own or with only one other person, the AI team members aren't completely useless, though they're still no match for another human of course.

The thought of something being a bad single player but a good multiplayer game makes no sense to me. What is that about? Misery loves company? I don't get it.

Can you play basketball by yourself? Sure, it just wouldn't be a lot of fun. Similarly, shooters are more fun to play if you're playing with people rather than by yourself.

Played the first LP to death on the online multiplayer. I played the demo for this, but never picked it up due to the bad reviews. I was going to wait on it.

I think the reason I like LP is because of the 3rd person view. I'm really sick of 1st person. :roll:

bread's done
Back