Ollie's stores video game blowout (east coast/midwest)

dancrown

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Sorry if this is already posted . Ollies is a deep discount store located in about 12 states. Went in today and they had about an 8 ft section marked "video game blowout". It was a mix of new and preowned titles . Some highlights of new were:
psp-ratchet and clank 2.99
psp-fat princess 2.99
psp-jixel junk monsters 2.99
x360/ps3-brutal legend 7.99
wii-cursed mountain 6.99
Most of the stuff Im sure all of us have but if you need some cheap fun or some shovelware ds pet games for the kiddies I would check your store out.

[quote name='dancrown']Sorry if this is already posted . Ollies is a deep discount store located in about 12 states. Went in today and they had about an 8 ft section marked "video game blowout". It was a mix of new and preowned titles . Some highlights of new were:
psp-ratchet and clank 2.99
psp-fat princess 2.99
psp-jixel junk monsters 2.99
x360/ps3-brutal legend 7.99
wii-cursed mountain 6.99
Most of the stuff Im sure all of us have but if you need some cheap fun or some shovelware ds pet games for the kiddies I would check your store out.[/QUOTE]

This is HIGHLY YMMV. Just to be fair. Although some good prices for those games.

thanks OP, went into mine and got a bunch of $2.99 PSP games:

every extend extra
dead head fred
obscure: the aftermath
the con
pangya fantasy golf

not AAA titles by any means, but probably worth the $3

I'll have to check out the selection next time I am near an Ollie's. The few times I have been there, the only video games they have had are old XBox sports games for $3.

Checked my local Ollie's... tons and tons of dumb stuff, I think they had every MySims game ever made. The best I saw was :360: Mass Effect for $9.99, if I didn't already own it I would've bought it. Left with :360: Project Sylpheed and :psp: Ratchet and Clank: Size Matters.

Thanks for the heads up, OP. :)

[quote name='coolflea216']Theres an Ollies by my house (OH) but I've never went in, I'll have to check it out.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, same here in Ohio. I get their ads all the time but never thought about going in. Maybe I'll stop in just for the hell of it to see if there's anything worth it at all.

This must be new because I was in my ollies last week and no sign of video games. I will be checking tonight though, hopefully our store got some of these.

Also if mass effect wasn't the platinum hits edition its not a good deal, since the platinum hits has the DLC on the disk and it costs a lot of money to download the DLC from microsoft. You can buy the platinum hits edition for $13-15 on ebay or 19.99 new at Amazon, its easily worth the extra few dollars.

[quote name='SaraAB']Also if mass effect wasn't the platinum hits edition its not a good deal, since the platinum hits has the DLC on the disk and it costs a lot of money to download the DLC from microsoft. You can buy the platinum hits edition for $13-15 on ebay or 19.99 new at Amazon, its easily worth the extra few dollars.[/QUOTE]

It actually was the platinum hits version. My personal copy is the old original one... maybe I should go invest the $10, lol. I actually didn't know that.

Excellent deal on the Mass Effect then!

They did have games at my Ollies, but it was mostly shovelware and the Burger King games for 5.99 each which is overpriced since I can get them for 0.99 and 1.99 at GS any day of the week. I did get a PS2 copy of Hot Shots Golf Fore but that was it. For me most of the games were used and they had generic cases, I would have gotten the Ratchet and Clank game for PSP but it had a generic case and I didn't really want it that badly.

The best deal I probably saw was Perfect Dark Xbox 360 Platinum hits with the extra content included for 4.99.

I'll have to check my two local Ollie's stores when I get a chance. Most times they just have the shovelware or tons of PC games, so there's never anything for me to grab there.

[quote name='SaraAB']Excellent deal on the Mass Effect then!

They did have games at my Ollies, but it was mostly shovelware and the Burger King games for 5.99 each which is overpriced since I can get them for 0.99 and 1.99 at GS any day of the week. I did get a PS2 copy of Hot Shots Golf Fore but that was it. For me most of the games were used and they had generic cases, I would have gotten the Ratchet and Clank game for PSP but it had a generic case and I didn't really want it that badly.

The best deal I probably saw was Perfect Dark Xbox 360 Platinum hits with the extra content included for 4.99.[/QUOTE]

Sarah Im going to assume you hit the newish Niagara Falls Ollies? If so Ill probably skip and head to the other location to see what they have.

Yes I did hit that one, but rest assured I only bought one game. The selection was pretty bad other than a few semi-decent Xbox 360 and PS3 games. The whole store is a bit low on stock to be honest, food shelves are empty and electronics aisle needs restocking badly. There is one by the galleria mall in cheektowaga that you can also check, I don't know what they have though.

Ollie's is my go-to store for pricey organic foods because they often have them at very low prices, lower prices than your typical foods. I didn't think I would be buying video games there ever.

The Ollie's stores around here got in trouble a couple of years ago for selling out of date food. So ever since then I check the expiration date on stuff I'm buying from there. Although a new shop opened up locally that sells out of date stuff almost exclusively.:roll:

Thanks for the heads up.

The one in florence ky was a bust. I went in and all they had was like guitar hero van halen for ps2, sims pet games for ds, hannah montanna wii and other junk bin filler like that for 8 bucks.

[quote name='Luuc']It actually was the platinum hits version. My personal copy is the old original one... maybe I should go invest the $10, lol. I actually didn't know that.[/QUOTE]

The platinum hits version comes with 'bring down the sky' DLC, which if I'm reading xbox.com correctly, is only 80 MS points or $1 if bought on its own at the moment. It is alright, but it isn't very long or very compelling. The second disk that comes with the platinum edition also has some behind the scenes stuff and interviews with developers and such. If you were buying for the first time, then yeah the platinum version is definitely the one to pick up but if you've already played it, the platinum isn't that much of an upgrade

How bad is the Hellboy game on ps3? Reviews weren't hot. Saw it for $5 at Indiana PA Ollies along with several Wii (Madworld amongst them) DS, & Xbox shovelware titles.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']The Ollie's stores around here got in trouble a couple of years ago for selling out of date food. So ever since then I check the expiration date on stuff I'm buying from there. Although a new shop opened up locally that sells out of date stuff almost exclusively.:roll:[/QUOTE]

This probably explains why Ollie's is very low on food here.

The Ollie's over here now has a huge sign up stating that it is not their intention to sell out of date food and that if you find out of date food you should bring that to the attention of the store.

Ironically they put the out of date food usually by the door with a huge 75% off sign on it, or they used to, perhaps they aren't allowed to anymore.

Now if only Kmart would get in trouble for selling out of date food.

[quote name='SaraAB']This probably explains why Ollie's is very low on food here.

The Ollie's over here now has a huge sign up stating that it is not their intention to sell out of date food and that if you find out of date food you should bring that to the attention of the store.

Ironically they put the out of date food usually by the door with a huge 75% off sign on it, or they used to, perhaps they aren't allowed to anymore.

Now if only Kmart would get in trouble for selling out of date food.[/QUOTE]
Only time I've found outta date stuff at Kmart they've immediately told me they couldn't sell it to me. But there's a store here called P&R Grocery that's run by the one local bus company owner's family that almost exclusively sells outta date shit.

Most of it is still pretty good, but some of their prices are getting ridiculous for a place trying to sell 'expired' food. They literally have a whole aisle full of LAST YEAR'S Easter candy that they're trying to sell(albeit at a discount) but just like last year's Halloween candy they finally got rid of I don't think it'll all sell before THIS Easter.:lol:

Candy I think lasts a pretty long time on the shelf, but I can get cereal for 1.99 a box here or less so I don't know what the out of date store is charging but unless their prices are 50% off or more the retail store then its probably not worth it. I notice that most of the holiday candy here moves fast so its not like there would be any overstock for a store to buy up and put in their store. By the time the holiday comes the store is usually at least 75% cleaned out of candy.

Ollie's has pretty good prices, I can get a box of kashi bars for $1.79 or cascadian farms bars for 0.99 or 1.29, they also have good prices on soup and cereal and I often find other good things there. Comparably the Kashi bars and Cascadian farms would be at least $3 a box here.

My big lots here had nearly expired boxes of cereal for 25 cents a box once... we stocked up and bought almost every one and it was fine but this was stuff that was not even expired yet or expired by a few days, not something that was a year or more old.

I am still routinely finding expired items on kmart shelves even after I formally complained to the store and got a call back from the produce manager, who obviously didn't care. They also have a shelf of expired foods at a discount but the discount is not much over prices that I can get at other retail stores here and there is some pretty gross stuff on that shelf.

Ollie's had an ad in yesterday for PS2/360/DS/Wii new and used games $4.99-$12.99.

And the Ollie's here has quite a bit of expired foods. Then again, when I go there it's the same as going to the groceries around here that deal in the warehouse buyout deals (where probably 50% or close to of their product is expired.) If it's something I'm worried about (i.e. anything with milk or cheese in it), I check the date. Mostly I go to them to stock up on marinades and BBQ sauces. Since they have a decent amount of vinegar in them and are getting cooked, I don't worry.

Then again, to my knowledge there's no real laws in place in PA when it comes to that stuff or else noone cares. I can think of at least five different places that stock out of date merch regularly including a specialty bread place that specializes in week old bread.

Didn't know Ollie's existed before I read this thread. I checked my local store out and their selection was terrible. Low budget junk, worse than the selection at Big Lots. You guys that found Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth and Mass Effect were lucky..

[quote name='brokenpavement']Picked up a copy of Valkyrie Profile: Lennith for $5 and Lumines II for $3. Not bad at all! Thanks, OP![/QUOTE]

Man, how'd you manage that. Everything at my store was hot garbage. I grabbed a Ratchet and Clank and a power strip. I now have no reason to go in there again.

I bought 2 of the used games, the discs were both in pristine new condition, the only difference was that the games were re-wrapped probably. If you are going to buy something and worried about the condition of the used games it should be perfect. Almost all the games at the stores around here are marked used, except for a few.

I've found a couple of collector's edition guide books in Ollie's recently. Nice large, hard cover books. Reg price $50 picked up for $5.

I found Fallout 76 about a month back and today picked up COD WWII.

They had an Assassin's Creed Odyssey spear display piece and Splinter Cell goggles too, $15 each.

People just checking out Ollie's now for this deal, you shouldn't just judge them on this...they are NOT a good store for games, never have been and probably never will.  For a while they actually had a decent selection of PC games, but haven't for a long time now.  And then probably 5-7 years ago they got some console games but most were crap (seemingly like this deal mostly).

They're a great place for other stuff though.  We go there for snacks and cereal all the time, toys, kitchen supplies, cleaning supplies, books (they have TONS of really high quality books, we recently got a really cool World of Warcraft Visual Guide hardcover there for super cheap), sometimes furniture, etc.  Basically it's just an awesome place to go in and look around and get some really good deals.

And yes, sometimes they'll have outdated food on the shelf, although I'm shocked they "got in trouble" for it, I guess some Karen called in and complained?  This happens at every store I've ever been at and really the fact is most stuff is good pretty long past it's "sell by" date (it's not an "eat by" date) anyway.  Although yes, I 'd definitely say always check the dates at Ollie's and also keep in mind if there's a snack there with a flavor you've never seen...there's often a reason it's at a place like Ollie's, haha.

Anyway, I highly recommend Ollie's for sure, not for games but in general.

I'd only been there a few times and didn't realize they even had games (was probably distracted by Japanese junk food), but I checked and saw some copies of, I think, Titanfall 2, tons of copies of Call of Duty Infinite Warfare (Xbox only), a bunch of 3DS copies of Yokai Watch, and I think a DS Lego game.

bread's done
Back