Ron Paul's foreign policy.

TurboChickenMan

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
This is a new video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PoYGAxF-zWE

What happened to the latter part of "make love, not war"? Nowadays, all the left ever talks about is equality. Anti-racism laws*, distribution of wealth*, etc. The bottom has completely dropped out of the anti-war movement.

This 75+ year old guy from gun totin' Texas is one of the last anti-war people in Washington, and the ONLY one currently running for president.

If he can't convince y'all from a moral standpoint, how about a financial one? The current wars are costing trillion$ that could be potentially spent on stuff like, say, EQUALITY measures*!

*I'm not here to discuss these issues (or my mental state, which I'm sure you'd love to) - just war.

P.S. Don't just post some Vietnam era song and walk away - I'm VERY interested in hearing an explanation as to what became of YOUR movement.

The anti-war movement is really more of a baby boomer phenomenon, and the reality is that those selfish pricks grew up and became teabaggers, voting in the same pro-war douchebags they used to protest against.

And just to piss you off "out on the road today I saw a deadhead sticker on a Cadillac"

[quote name='TurboChickenMan']This is a new video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PoYGAxF-zWE

What happened to the latter part of "make love, not war"? Nowadays, all the left ever talks about is equality. Anti-racism laws*, distribution of wealth*, etc. The bottom has completely dropped out of the anti-war movement.

This 75+ year old guy from gun totin' Texas is one of the last anti-war people in Washington, and the ONLY one currently running for president.

If he can't convince y'all from a moral standpoint, how about a financial one? The current wars are costing trillion$ that could be potentially spent on stuff like, say, EQUALITY measures*!

*I'm not here to discuss these issues (or my mental state, which I'm sure you'd love to) - just war.

P.S. Don't just post some Vietnam era song and walk away - I'm VERY interested in hearing an explanation as to what became of YOUR movement.[/QUOTE]
It's funny considering that Russia is anything but a Democratic nation nor a free market anymore. That makes this speech like what, 5 years too late?

But on a more serious note, I always find it funny when someone says just respecting another nation will make everything better. However things he mentions, like currency manipulation, may be stopped by us but I can guarantee that just because we stop our "nation building", doesn't mean countries like China, Mexico, most of Europe will stop. Hell look at the recent sphere building in Africa by Asian and European countries looking for cheaper labor, land, and energy. I think Paul, like many others, seems to forget that just because we want to play nice doesn't mean others even want to.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='cindersphere']I think Paul, like many others, seems to forget that just because we want to play nice doesn't mean others even want to.[/QUOTE]

I'm sure he knows what's going on in the world, but he believes America should just mind its own business.

And everyone hates him for it.

[quote name='TurboChickenMan']It IS one reason why many do.[/QUOTE]

If there is a thread made for each one of the reasons why everyone hates Ron Paul then there are going to be alot of useless threads.

Let's just leave it at the guy is an unelectable idiot.

[quote name='camoor']Let's just leave it at the guy is an unelectable idiot.[/QUOTE]

You can have your opinion of him, but I'd like a proper answer to the question I asked - what happened to the anti-war left?

+1 for Ron Paul
+3 for calling out those who were against war, but are OK with it now that Obama is in charge.

btw, tea party is against the wars as well. they were before Obama became president. Media wouldn't have you believe that though.

[quote name='TurboChickenMan']You can have your opinion of him, but I'd like a proper answer to the question I asked - what happened to the anti-war left?[/QUOTE]

It's not to hard to figure out.

The Vietnam war draft scared the shit out of alot of kids so they protested.

Nowadays if you don't want to fight it's pretty simple, you just don't signup.

The modern left respectfully disagrees with the wars but at the same time has a great deal of respect for the armed services.

[quote name='wune'] tea party is against the wars as well.[/QUOTE]

Bullshit.

btw,. they were before Obama became president. Media wouldn't have you believe that though

Complete bullshit.

+3 for calling out those who were against war, but are OK with it now that Obama is in charge.

Many are not "OK" with it, if it was up to me I'd have us out by tomorrow.

However, I would not vote for the turd hoagie that is Ron Paul and his terrible policies (even if he was electable) just because he might try to leave Iraq etc.

[quote name='TurboChickenMan']You can have your opinion of him, but I'd like a proper answer to the question I asked - what happened to the anti-war left?[/QUOTE]

Entertain my whims at the drop of a hat. I demand it.

I very strongly believe Ron Paul would put us on the path to saving this country.

Instead everyone will call him a kook or an idiot or say Ron who?? and we'll end up with the same tired shit as always with the country going further and further down the toilet. It boggles my mind that over and over, again and again...time after time... the American people as a whole are too blind to see this. If I hadn't seen it repeatedly with my own eyes I'd never believe that human beings in this day and age could be so naive, so gullible...and yet that is exactly the case. I honestly don't understand it and it makes me sad for the future.

There is one simple thing about Ron Paul regardless of whether or not you agree with him that makes him the only possibility in my mind. He is honest.

I hope that he sticks around and keeps telling everyone what is going to happen just so that he can die knowing he was right. His gravestone should read: "I told you so."

[quote name='cindersphere']
I always find it funny when someone says just respecting another nation will make everything better. However things he mentions, like currency manipulation, may be stopped by us but I can guarantee that just because we stop our "nation building", doesn't mean countries like China, Mexico, most of Europe will stop. Hell look at the recent sphere building in Africa by Asian and European countries looking for cheaper labor, land, and energy. I think Paul, like many others, seems to forget that just because we want to play nice doesn't mean others even want to.[/QUOTE]
We can lead by example and not by force first. The military should be reserved for the defense of this country.

Let's say I show you respect even though you hate me for whatever reason. Are you going to attack me first when I do that? I don't believe you will, but if you do I will end you plain and simple. That imo is a strong defense, and what we need.

Also assuming you already hate me, what would the true reasons for that be? As long as you're a sane human being, hate to the point of attacking me would probably come from me having done something to you prior.

Uh, a Democrat was elected president. There was a big anti-war protest, if I recall, on the day of the healthcare bill vote in the House. Most networks were covering the tea movement though.

[quote name='wune']btw, tea party is against the wars as well. they were before Obama became president. Media wouldn't have you believe that though.[/QUOTE]

Course they were. They were just busy telling people who were against the war they 'hate america' and they are 'pro-Saddam'. They're the base of the Republican party, I definitely don't remember too many tea party protests or even a tea party movement any time when Bush was president.

Only exception I see would be Paulistinians, who are mostly consistent, but they definitely don't make up a majority of the tea party.

[quote name='ShockandAww']I very strongly believe Ron Paul would put us on the path to saving this country.

Instead everyone will call him a kook or an idiot or say Ron who?? and we'll end up with the same tired shit as always with the country going further and further down the toilet. It boggles my mind that over and over, again and again...time after time... the American people as a whole are too blind to see this. If I hadn't seen it repeatedly with my own eyes I'd never believe that human beings in this day and age could be so naive, so gullible...and yet that is exactly the case. I honestly don't understand it and it makes me sad for the future.

There is one simple thing about Ron Paul regardless of whether or not you agree with him that makes him the only possibility in my mind. He is honest.

I hope that he sticks around and keeps telling everyone what is going to happen just so that he can die knowing he was right. His gravestone should read: "I told you so."[/QUOTE]

Honesty is the only thing you look for in a President? I know plenty of dull, painfully honest people who would make absolutely terrible leaders.

I'm not saying Ron Paul is honest, I'm saying you have a pretty dopey way of evaluating the field.

I love how you can be both anti war and pro letting someone die who doesnt have insurance because that is freedom.

How does that even work in ones mind?

I like Ron Paul quite a bit too, and it's mostly because of his foreign policy opinions, which are far better informed, and based on information that many of us don't have at our disposal. You might disagree with his conclusions, but as another pointed out, he speaks honestly, he is consistent, and he doesn't pander. He states his view, and basically says to people, if you don't like it, then don't support me. He's not a weasel like the other politicians that will have a different position depending on which group they are at a fundraiser for. So yes, integrity and honesty are critical traits I look at when considering Presidential candidates.

I'm not sure our country would be better off with RP in office, but I definitely don't think it will be any worse. Huntsman is the only other guy in the race who I actually like, and he's an even longer shot than RP.

This is what Ron Paul's Foreign Policy really seems like:
Ron: You know what pal, I just broke up with my girlfriend and I need a shoulder. Are you free?
Steve: Yeah man, that really sucks, let's grab a beer
Ron:
Steve: You know man, my dad is kinda sick and I'd like to talk about it
Ron: Deal with your own problems you fucker.

[quote name='TurboChickenMan']I'm sure he knows what's going on in the world, but he believes America should just mind its own business.

And everyone hates him for it.[/QUOTE]

Hmm, not to sure there, ideology and gut feelings can be hard to see through. Just as Winston Churchill about how good a guy Stalin was, to keep with the theme of the cold war.

As for the second part, the left anti-war movement never went away, the media just shifted its attention away, and took yours along with it I see.

[quote name='ShockandAww']We can lead by example and not by force first. The military should be reserved for the defense of this country.

Let's say I show you respect even though you hate me for whatever reason. Are you going to attack me first when I do that? I don't believe you will, but if you do I will end you plain and simple. That imo is a strong defense, and what we need.

Also assuming you already hate me, what would the true reasons for that be? As long as you're a sane human being, hate to the point of attacking me would probably come from me having done something to you prior.[/QUOTE]

:rofl:
Seriously? You entire situation is just a micro scale policy of mutually assured destruction, and no I don't hate you.

[quote name='ShockandAww']I very strongly believe Ron Paul would put us on the path to saving this country.

I hope that he sticks around and keeps telling everyone what is going to happen just so that he can die knowing he was right. His gravestone should read: "I told you so."[/QUOTE]

Secondly, no RP is just an ideologue who doesn't want to listen to data, just look at how he gets repeatedly schooled by Ben Bernanke, the Fed, and the CBO continually. His free market thing holds no water considering that when the US stopped helping industries with cheap land and building grants those industries disappeared, namely most manufacturing jobs since the 70's. What industry has flourished? The banking sector, defense, and pharmaceutical industries, who are majorly subsidized by the government through research grants, educational institutions that get money through grants in these areas, and just pure American protectionism (such as when the government protects Phizer et al from generic makers in India and such) which began in the 70's, when factories were no longer the new hotness. Ron Paul is just an ideologue that is turning his head away from actual data to please his buddies like the CATO institute.

This is a joke right Cindersphere? The Federal Reserve is one of the most despicable organizations there is, as well as these other central banking institutions. For one, it's not a government organization and yet they print our money. I might note that the constitution gives our government the right to print it's own, at no interest and private profit, unlike the Fed. Is it any coincidence the same organization that is in charge of preventing counterfeit is also the same that guards the President. You might consider that both Lincoln and JFK authorized the printing of "Greenbacks" at one time, money printed by the government and not the Federal Reserve.
Let's also not forget that while you're not suppose to be taxed on income from your day's LABOR(only if you're a naturalized American citizen) but if you refuse the Fed, i.e. "The IRS" will put you in your place and you'll have to fight them kicking and screaming. I don't think it's asking for much they DON'T pay income on their labor considering that the income tax law never mentions it. They've just managed to con people into thinking this.

[quote name='Sarang01']This is a joke right Cindersphere? The Federal Reserve is one of the most despicable organizations there is, as well as these other central banking institutions. For one, it's not a government organization and yet they print our money. I might note that the constitution gives our government the right to print it's own, at no interest and private profit, unlike the Fed. Is it any coincidence the same organization that is in charge of preventing counterfeit is also the same that guards the President. You might consider that both Lincoln and JFK authorized the printing of "Greenbacks" at one time, money printed by the government and not the Federal Reserve.
Let's also not forget that while you're not suppose to be taxed on income from your day's LABOR(only if you're a naturalized American citizen) but if you refuse the Fed, i.e. "The IRS" will put you in your place and you'll have to fight them kicking and screaming. I don't think it's asking for much they DON'T pay income on their labor considering that the income tax law never mentions it. They've just managed to con people into thinking this.[/QUOTE]

Your entire post is just stolen from Zeitgeist. But moving on Fed is not a despicable organization (though it is unpopular with Austrian economists and conspiracy lovers). In fact it is the reason banks that were around when you were born are still around today. You might want to take a good hard look at the 1830-1860's banking world before you jump down their throat. Remember those days? When each bank issued their own currency/notes, average lifespan of banks were 5 years or less? But ummm, just delete the fed and bernanke if you want, CBO criticisms still remain.

No idea why you even mentioned taxes.... oh wait, that right, that was how Zeitgeist presented those ideas in the movie. Man you Zeitgeister's make me chuckle.

[quote name='camoor']Honesty is the only thing you look for in a President?

I'm not saying Ron Paul is honest, I'm saying you have a pretty dopey way of evaluating the field.[/QUOTE]
I didnt say that. What I meant is I believe he is the only honest candidate. He is actually for the people (you and I as opposed to government and big business) And of course I agree with him on some major issues like ending the fed and these bullshit wars.

[quote name='cindersphere']
You entire situation is just a micro scale policy of mutually assured destruction[/QUOTE]
I don't agree with that at all. What would you suggest? Should we keep on as now and have the whole world hate us more and more by the day? That is what will assure our destruction imo. The reality whether anybody likes it or not is that they dont hate us for our freedom or some other made up bullshit. They hate us because we're assholes.

[quote name='ShockandAww']

I don't agree with that at all. What would you suggest? Should we keep on as now and have the whole world hate us more and more by the day? That is what will assure our destruction imo. The reality whether anybody likes it or not is that they dont hate us for our freedom or some other made up bullshit. They hate us because we're assholes.[/QUOTE]

You forget the good the US does in the world. It is easy for you and the rest of the world to ignore it because it has been status quo for so many years, but we contribute a lot to the world. The world loves to tear us apart when we do something wrong, but ignore our consistant contributions to the world.

[quote name='Knoell']You forget the good the US does in the world. It is easy for you and the rest of the world to ignore it because it has been status quo for so many years, but we contribute a lot to the world. The world loves to tear us apart when we do something wrong, but ignore our consistant contributions to the world.[/QUOTE]
That's great but if I kill your dog and then give you a dollar it's not really going to make anything better is it.

Really I think they're two separate things. We can help out and that's great (as long as the help is asked for/wanted) but when we also invade countries on bs premises and do all this other sick shit it just doesn't endear us to anyone no matter what else we may have done elsewhere to help.

And I'm not really political so if I ignored anything anyone says I probably just didnt have a clue what you were saying lol. I'm just giving my opinion on right and wrong basically.

[quote name='ShockandAww']He is actually for the people (you and I as opposed to government and big business)[/QUOTE]

What makes you think Ron Paul would be against anything big business does?

I've never considered Ron Paul to be part of the anti-war movement. Voting and giving occasional talks is the bare minimum one can do. Thats roughly what I DO and I'm not part of the movement.

The first half of the last decade especially, people were being branded as unAmerican/traitorous and getting arrested at rallies. Actual war veterans in office were getting horrendous ads run against them by the GOP that made them look the same. Meanwhile, the very same party leaves Paul completely alone. Doesnt even get primaried during the height of the madness. Where was Paul during all this? He couldve actually stuck his neck out instead of being a coward.

[quote name='ShockandAww']I didnt say that. What I meant is I believe he is the only honest candidate. He is actually for the people (you and I as opposed to government and big business) And of course I agree with him on some major issues like ending the fed and these bullshit wars.[/QUOTE]

Laughable. While Ron is anti-government (and I don't mean that as a compliment), he is for the corporation over everything else.

Newsflash: every politician who ever lived says he is for the people. Look at who his policies enrich, then you'll know his true character.

[quote name='Knoell']The world loves to tear us apart when we do something wrong, but ignore our consistant contributions to the world.[/QUOTE]

I know, I hate that! Officer Krupke always focuses on all the times I'm going 55 MPH in a 40 MPH zone. He ignores all the other times I'm under the speed limit!! craazaaay!

[quote name='Msut77']What makes you think Ron Paul would be against anything big business does?[/QUOTE]
He wont be bought by them.

We can argue crap all day long but obviously I believe in what Ron Paul is saying and I believe he is right on many of the major issues and very importantly he's also honest. I'm not going to change anyone's mind if you don't think that.

How about anyone give me some links and cites if you want to take the time. Why should I be against Ron Paul? Is he a liar? Is he in bed with big business like everyone else? I just don't understand the dislike for him. He isn't the greatest speaker and he tells the truth that people don't want to hear is all I've seen. Is there another candidate that will bring our troops home? That will end the fed? And I don't mean lie and say they will, I mean actually will. That's the key difference imo between Ron Paul and other candidates. He's honest in what he says.

[quote name='ShockandAww']He wont be bought by them.[/QUOTE]

You don't have to buy what you already own.

I believe in what Ron Paul is saying and I believe he is right on many of the major issues

So you are anti-healthcare reform and would have pure market/profit based healthcare system? To someone who actually pays his attention Paul's stances look like Neo-Feudalism.

Why should I be against Ron Paul? Is he a liar?

Personally I think he is just a con artist. This is something I have said before, but I will go over again for your benefit. Ron Paul's entire shtick it to talk a lot of shit load up bills with goodies for his district and then vote against the bills. He would of course be voted out in a hot second if he didn't.

Ron Paul made his nut running racist newsletters for cash not all that long ago. Now he "runs" for president and raises cash, he for the most part does not spend on campaigning.

[quote name='ShockandAww']I don't agree with that at all. What would you suggest? Should we keep on as now and have the whole world hate us more and more by the day? That is what will assure our destruction imo. The reality whether anybody likes it or not is that they dont hate us for our freedom or some other made up bullshit. They hate us because we're assholes.[/QUOTE]

Okay now, don't be a dick is not a foreign policy, just saying. Secondly, being a dick will not assure our destruction, ignoring threats will destroy us. My question to you is where is our foreign policy out of tune with the rest of the worlds? I will concede our current policies surrounding war and detaining people is complete shit and needs to be redone. Other than that, what needs to be changed to make us on a level playing field with other countries and be a buddy nation? And people hate us for one reason, were an easy target.

But yes your entire situation is just a small scale form of second strike capabilities, which is the backbone of MAD policies. Were not going to attack, but just build up our weapons. If you do attack us you better make damn sure you end us because we will end you. Just replace fisticuffs with nuclear weapons and it is the same thing.

[quote name='cindersphere']Okay now, don't be a dick is not a foreign policy, just saying. Secondly, being a dick will not assure our destruction, ignoring threats will destroy us. My question to you is where is our foreign policy out of tune with the rest of the worlds? I will concede our current policies surrounding war and detaining people is complete shit and needs to be redone. Other than that, what needs to be changed to make us on a level playing field with other countries and be a buddy nation? And people hate us for one reason, were an easy target.[/QUOTE]

People hate us because we kill them with predator drones and butt into their business. The arab world hates us because we provide unconditional support for their enemy, Israel, while at the same time invading Afganistan, Iraq, Libya... staying out of these conflicts would be a good start...

IMHO, Ron Paul is right on the ball with foreign policy... we can neither afford the monetary cost nor the ill will derived from meddling in other countries' affairs. Unfortunately, both mainstream republicans and democrats want to continue that and it will simply lead us into poverty and chaos.

[quote name='BigT']People hate us because we kill them with predator drones and butt into their business. The arab world hates us because we provide unconditional support for their enemy, Israel, while at the same time invading Afganistan, Iraq, Libya... staying out of these conflicts would be a good start...

IMHO, Ron Paul is right on the ball with foreign policy... we can neither afford the monetary cost nor the ill will derived from meddling in other countries' affairs. Unfortunately, both mainstream republicans and democrats want to continue that and it will simply lead us into poverty and chaos.[/QUOTE]

Not disagreeing with you entirely, just stating the fact that just leaving countries be is not a foreign policy. We should have treaded the middle east more cautiously but we didn't, and are now paying a very steep price for it.

And you really think just leaving Israel to it's own devices and budding out of their business will make things better? You think that all those who have and still maintain power will just reciprocate? No, there is a very big group of people who have gained power by painting the US as a nation that will destroy their lives (whether or not this is true or false is irrelevant) and have used that to amass wealth and power in their countries. Staying out of these countries will only gain one thing, further destabilization. Hell just keep current with these countries now, 80 percent of them can't even keep sovereign borders, and you think that just leaving will engender ANY loss of bad will to the US? Hell no, if we leave those in power will do one of two things, say they won the war or if shit goes downhill continue to say the downfall is still the US's fault, keeping the same problems alive anyway and risking further destabilization. Have fun with the economic and political effects that will create over the next 20 years. Ron Paul was right on the ball for foreign policy 10 years ago, now not so much.

Don't get me wrong, I want the war to end and a withdraw from Afghanistan, but just leaving the region alone entirely is going to the worst thing we can do going forward, especially as these places start the long process of industrialization and become greater powers.

[quote name='IRHari']I know, I hate that! Officer Krupke always focuses on all the times I'm going 55 MPH in a 40 MPH zone. He ignores all the other times I'm under the speed limit!! craazaaay![/QUOTE]

The worlds opinion is not law enforcement you nitwit.

If you were going to make an analogy to bash something at least make one that makes sense.

Ill help you.

"I know, I can't believe everyone hates me for stealing from the Salvation Army bucket. I have donated every year for 15 years!"

And you guys wonder why you get people calling you anti-american. The good we do isn't good enough, and the bad we do will bring the apocolypse. Its great that you are holding us to a higher standard, and I get that. The problem is while you are on your pedestal, the rest of the world is robbing each other, and us blind.

[quote name='ShockandAww'] He is actually for the people (you and I as opposed to government and big business) [/QUOTE]
Please, he's a freemarketeer, how is that being for "the people"? I don't think that Paul is actually "for" anyone at all, he'd prefer it was every man for himself, whether talking business or individuals. I think he read lord of the flies and didn't finish.

[quote name='Knoell']"I know, I can't believe everyone hates me for stealing from the Salvation Army bucket. I have donated every year for 15 years!"[/QUOTE]

The worlds opinion is not a charity bucket you nitwit.

All analogies fall apart eventually, that's what makes them analogies.

We have to be held to a higher standard. And that means not pointing to Rwanda and China and saying 'see we treat people better than they do!'

If you want America to be the king of the shitpile, by all means keep comparing US human rights records to Saudi Arabias or something. Of course we treat people better than they do, but that's nothing to brag about.

[quote name='cindersphere']Not disagreeing with you entirely, just stating the fact that just leaving countries be is not a foreign policy. We should have treaded the middle east more cautiously but we didn't, and are now paying a very steep price for it.

And you really think just leaving Israel to it's own devices and budding out of their business will make things better? You think that all those who have and still maintain power will just reciprocate? No, there is a very big group of people who have gained power by painting the US as a nation that will destroy their lives (whether or not this is true or false is irrelevant) and have used that to amass wealth and power in their countries. Staying out of these countries will only gain one thing, further destabilization. Hell just keep current with these countries now, 80 percent of them can't even keep sovereign borders, and you think that just leaving will engender ANY loss of bad will to the US? Hell no, if we leave those in power will do one of two things, say they won the war or if shit goes downhill continue to say the downfall is still the US's fault, keeping the same problems alive anyway and risking further destabilization. Have fun with the economic and political effects that will create over the next 20 years. Ron Paul was right on the ball for foreign policy 10 years ago, now not so much.

Don't get me wrong, I want the war to end and a withdraw from Afghanistan, but just leaving the region alone entirely is going to the worst thing we can do going forward, especially as these places start the long process of industrialization and become greater powers.[/QUOTE]

Hey man, where does it say in the U.S. Constitution that it's every American's responsibility to keep other nations from being destabilized?

The course of the USA should not be directed by foreign policy, but from within. This means we should only get involved in wars that take up whole continents, not overblown morality actions where a country may have a 0.001% chance of being a threat to us in 100 years. Is that what makes America great, being busybodies who start lopsided pussy-"police actions"?

As for hellholes with dictatorships and humanitarian issues, do you really think these places are going to get better by us A) Not respecting their national sovereignty, B) Blowing up all their infrastructure, and C) conducting economic warfare against them? If you take Iraq as example, there's more underlying problems than a simple regime or government change will solve; you may in fact need one ethnic group to kill off or dominate another before things can get settled enough for the country to evolve. I mean, in our own country's formation, what would have happened if a British Expeditionary force was in place telling us to play nice with the Indians and the Mexicans? Then we may have never built this "great democracy" or had such a thing as a continental U.S. of A.

Here's another thought, it is really ethical for a lover of liberty to dictate the fate of a foreign people? Because so far what I'm seeing is the strategy of a conqueror; we steal their natural resources to preserve our own, with the explicit intent that they'll always be a second-class colony. I say America is better than that; that we shouldn't be wasting time with petty affairs and instead should focus on moving overselves up to the next level.

[quote name='Indigo_Streetlight']Here's another thought, it is really ethical for a lover of liberty to dictate the fate of a foreign people?[/QUOTE]

Food for thought - I know its not what you meant - but as humans isn't it in our self interest to keep nuclear weapons out of the hands of rogue agents who would use them unwisely. Bush W was a complete disaster (there is no arguement there) but isolationism is not the answer - even a 1943 Joe Sixpack could tell you that.

[quote name='Msut77']Bullshit.[/QUOTE]

Tea Party was set up against the established Republicans, though your MSM might not have told you that.

[quote name='IRHari']They're the base of the Republican party, I definitely don't remember too many tea party protests or even a tea party movement any time when Bush was president.

Only exception I see would be Paulistinians, who are mostly consistent, but they definitely don't make up a majority of the tea party.[/QUOTE]

1. See above.
2. See above, + Paul was the originator of the Tea Party. It came about as a result of his 2008 campaign. If you see what people are actually saying at the protests, you would know that it is a much larger part of the ideals of the Tea Party than CNN/MSNBC/FOX would like you to believe.

[quote name='wune']Tea Party was set up against the established Republicans, though your MSM might not have told you that.[/QUOTE]

Bovine Feces.

[quote name='wune']Tea Party was set up against the established Republicans, though your MSM might not have told you that.[/QUOTE]
You could say that if they were one homogeneous group with a single message, but they aren't. But for the record, it was because a bunch of conservatives felt they were being over taxed, thus Taxed Enough Already.

Then they hijacked revolutionary history and imagery and tried to act like some modern day colonial patriots.

[quote name='Clak']You could say that if they were one homogeneous group with a single message, but they aren't. But for the record, it was because a bunch of conservatives felt they were being over taxed, thus Taxed Enough Already.

Then they hijacked revolutionary history and imagery and tried to act like some modern day colonial patriots.[/QUOTE]
You forgot about the conservative think tanks like Americans for Prosperity that were heavily funded by the Koch brothers. Those think tanks set up the organizational logistics to mobilize and give disproportionate media coverage.

For those that don't know, this is why the teabaggers are considered astroturfed because all the resources came from corporate funding and NOT the people themselves. We're not talking about customer service reps for Koch Industries donating money to a think tank, we're talking about the actual Koch's taking tens of millions of dollars, which is so far outside the fundraising purvue of all grassroots programs, that it's farsical that people think that teabaggers get disproportionate coverage on merit alone when there have been larger protests that are actually grassroots that are completely ignored.

[quote name='Indigo_Streetlight']Hey man, where does it say in the U.S. Constitution that it's every American's responsibility to keep other nations from being destabilized?

The course of the USA should not be directed by foreign policy, but from within. This means we should only get involved in wars that take up whole continents, not overblown morality actions where a country may have a 0.001% chance of being a threat to us in 100 years. Is that what makes America great, being busybodies who start lopsided pussy-"police actions"?
[/QUOTE]

Hey man, where in the constitution does it say we need social security or any safety net? It doesn't yet we still need it all the same.

But getting, please understand on I am not in a complete opposition to you on most of your points, however I will strongly defend that RP's stance on foreign policy is anything less wishful thinking. Secondly, while you may not see destabilization of the middle east as a big deal, I tend to disagree based on recent attacks these countries make on a yearly basis, although they do not attack the US a lot. I agree that the war is fucking atrocious, I disagree that the best way to handle it now that we are knee deep in the shit is just to leave.

As for hellholes with dictatorships and humanitarian issues, do you really think these places are going to get better by us A) Not respecting their national sovereignty, B) Blowing up all their infrastructure, and C) conducting economic warfare against them? If you take Iraq as example, there's more underlying problems than a simple regime or government change will solve; you may in fact need one ethnic group to kill off or dominate another before things can get settled enough for the country to evolve. I mean, in our own country's formation, what would have happened if a British Expeditionary force was in place telling us to play nice with the Indians and the Mexicans? Then we may have never built this "great democracy" or had such a thing as a continental U.S. of A.
Honestly I don't know and we really haven't seen for the full effect of our little foray play out yet. It has worked in the past, or rather partially I would say with South Korea, we did one of our little Democracy runs and it turned out okay for SK I would say.

Here's another thought, it is really ethical for a lover of liberty to dictate the fate of a foreign people? Because so far what I'm seeing is the strategy of a conqueror; we steal their natural resources to preserve our own, with the explicit intent that they'll always be a second-class colony. I say America is better than that; that we shouldn't be wasting time with petty affairs and instead should focus on moving overselves up to the next level.
I really don't like to dabble to much into the ethics of foreign policy, and I will say straight out ethics of foreign policy is something I have never really given much thought to, but I would say, for the most part....... yes it is okay for the US to do exactly that, with a very big pre-requisite.

From the outset it seems that you believe or wish to believe that the US is either liberal or ethical. I am going to make a guess here and say that you believe that this society is one probably based on a basic system of individual right/social safety net/firm justice system. Using that as a general criteria for a liberal or ethical state, and those states that are not those three criteria would be called unethical states. If a state is unethical and does not supply those than I see no reason why we should respect that states rights. Now I know this is over simplifying the situation, but if I kill someone do you still believe I should still have the rights of a person who has not? Of course not, and as suck I would be stripped of most rights and imprisoned. With other nations if they are not "liberal" or "ethical" they do not deserve any respect or toleration from states that are.

That is just a general swing if I take your statement at face value however, based on you previous posts I have read around the site, I suspect you don't think we are either liberal or ethical, so in that case, I would still argue yes, it is okay for the US to do it in certain situations. Mainly based on the assumption that the decision was based on a want to create a better world in some way or to help foster a real liberal or ethical state. Personally I believe that violation of basic human rights can legitimize military intervention especially if non military intervention did not work, an obviously disliked opinion by you.

But beyond all this, I would tentatively agree that that recent wars were started on less than noble grounds, and because of that I am against them. I think for the most part your views are not incompatible with mine on recent middle eastern actions, at least on my end. I just disagree with how we should go forth with other forms of foreign policy and how we should exit from the middle east and future forms of national security policy.

Wrote more than I wanted to here. But thanks for that last part gave me something to think about while grinding in Demon's Souls.

[quote name='IRHari']The worlds opinion is not a charity bucket you nitwit.

All analogies fall apart eventually, that's what makes them analogies.

We have to be held to a higher standard. And that means not pointing to Rwanda and China and saying 'see we treat people better than they do!'

If you want America to be the king of the shitpile, by all means keep comparing US human rights records to Saudi Arabias or something. Of course we treat people better than they do, but that's nothing to brag about.[/QUOTE]

Wrong again. In the analogy the worlds opinion would be compared to the peoples opinion criticizing me for stealing, not the charity bucket.

But regardless, I would compare US human rights to any other country, not just the bad ones. But that wasn't the point. The point was the rest of the world hates us for our foreign policy. I say our foreign policy gives a lot of aid and stabilization to the rest of the world, and that it is widely ignored and taken for granted. Sure they can be pissed about what we do in Iraq, or the whole torture debacle and such but to hate us for it? You would think that our actions would bring armageddon, while countries like France, UK, Russia, China etc have in the past, and are currently struggling through the same type issues. And before you comment on how China isn't worth comparing to us, think of how they are one of 5 countries that are permantly on the UN Security Council holding a large amount of power (in the UN anyway).

I wouldn't even say the Korean war turned out well either since we're basically the only thing that keeps the north in check.

bread's done
Back