Dodonpachi Resurrection (360) REGION FREE PAL Import £27.35 shipped (or less)

kurtori

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
I didn't see this mentioned anywhere so thought I'd start a thread for it. The Cave shmup known in Japan as "Dodonpachi Dai Fukkatsu" is getting a Western release in Europe only, to be published by Rising Star Games. The game will be a PAL release and include a CD soundtrack for at least the first shipments. The game will be region-free for North American Xbox 360 systems but will NOT play on Japanese Xbox 360 systems.

Check out the trailer here: http://youtu.be/xkZ8grT5Jr0

Release date is 11/4/11.
The retail price will be £29.99, but the best price I've found so far is £24.85 + shipping at ShopTo.net. I've listed all the places I've found pre-selling it below. If you don't want to bother with importing, you can pre-order from NCS in New York for a marked-up price:

ShopTo.Net ** Best Price ** - £24.85 + £2.50 standard airmail to USA (or £5.50 registered airmail to USA)

http://www.shopto.net/XBOX%20360/VIDEO%20GAMES/XB2DO01-Dodonpachi%20Resurrection%20Deluxe%20Edition.html

HMV.com - £29.99 + £4.50 standard airmail to USA
http://hmv.com/hmvweb/displayProductDetails.do?sku=300822

Amazon.de (Germany) - 27.99 EUR + shipping (see site for shipping options)
http://www.amazon.de/Rising-Star-DoDonPachi-Resurrection-Edition/dp/B005GYKC6M

NCSX.com (in USA) - $65.90 + shipping (see site for shipping options)

http://www.shopncsx.com/ddpresurrection.aspx

Amazon.co.uk - £26.99 - DOES NOT SHIP TO USA
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dodonpachi-Resurrection-Deluxe-Xbox-360/dp/B005F1YCLM/

Last edited by a moderator:
Even though there are so many games coming out in November this will be a day one, I've been waiting so long for a region free Dodonpachi. Thanks OP!

Not bad but I've got such a ridiculous amount of shumps I don't think I want to be dropping too much more on them. DDP Resurrection is a quality specimen but it still feels like the genre has been milked harder than the maligned FPSs ever will.

Great news, but I remembered region free PAL dvds had that weird effect on my tv, will the 360 display the PAL signal OK on my TV or do I need to do something else?

[quote name='zerotl']Great news, but I remembered region free PAL dvds had that weird effect on my tv, will the 360 display the PAL signal OK on my TV or do I need to do something else?[/QUOTE]

In theory, if you have an HDTV, it shouldn't matter if the disc is PAL. I have a few region-free PAL games on both 360 and PS3, and they all display just fine.

If you have a non-HDTV, the disc will still play but the image will be scrambled. I can't think of any other reason which would result in the display having issues. :)

[quote name='kurtori']

If you have a non-HDTV, the disc will still play but the image will be scrambled. I can't think of any other reason which would result in the display having issues. :)[/QUOTE]

that is not true. I can play PAL xbox 360 (as well as PS3) games just fine on SDTV

@kurtori: Wow, awesome find, thank you!

Also, does anyone know besides Mushihimesama Futari Ver 1.5 and Espgaluda II Black Label, if there are any other 360 region free Cave shmups? I only have an NA 360.

Thanks in advance for any info!

[quote name='sykotek']@kurtori: Wow, awesome find, thank you!

Also, does anyone know besides Mushihimesama Futari Ver 1.5 and Espgaluda II Black Label, if there are any other 360 region free Cave shmups? I only have an NA 360.

Thanks in advance for any info![/QUOTE]

Muchi Muchi Pork/Pink Sweets is region free. And there's the Japanese version of Deathsmiles 2 on GoD.

[quote name='Thrinn']Muchi Muchi Pork/Pink Sweets is region free. And there's the Japanese version of Deathsmiles 2 on GoD.[/QUOTE]

There's also one called Bullet Soul which is very good, and another called Eschatos which I thought was a bit disappointing.

EDIT: sorry, didn't notice the question was about Cave shooters specifically! These other two I mentioned are not from Cave.

[quote name='62t']that is not true. I can play PAL xbox 360 (as well as PS3) games just fine on SDTV[/QUOTE]

Hmm, I think I must have been thinking of having had issues with PAL region-free DVDs on a SDTV. Thanks for the correction.

Is there any site you can link to that says it's officially region free?

If not then I'm probably just going to wait until people get it and test it out.

[quote name='yamayama']Is there any site you can link to that says it's officially region free?

If not then I'm probably just going to wait until people get it and test it out.[/QUOTE]

Yup, it was first announced on the Facebook page of the publisher (https://www.facebook.com/RisingStarGames/posts/258848714139342) and then reported on at:

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/07/28/rising-star-picks-up-kof-xiii-dodonpachi-resurrection-for-pal-t/
http://www.siliconera.com/2011/08/25/dodonpachi-resurrection-european-release-to-be-region-free/
http://www.gamesetwatch.com/2011/08...ions_european_edition)will_be_region_free.php

[quote name='kurtori']There's also one called Bullet Soul which is very good, and another called Eschatos which I thought was a bit disappointing.

EDIT: sorry, didn't notice the question was about Cave shooters specifically! These other two I mentioned are not from Cave.[/QUOTE]

Continuing this off topic response, I own both of those and have a blast with Bullet Soul. Great presentation. Eschatos doesn't have the flair that Bullet Soul does, but I think it's still fun in its own way, plus it includes two Wonderswan ports.

Thanks for the info, OP! I had no idea this was getting a region-free Euro release! Preordered from Shopto, now I just hope the exchange rate is good when they charge it.

[quote name='Slermy']Continuing this off topic response, I own both of those and have a blast with Bullet Soul. Great presentation. Eschatos doesn't have the flair that Bullet Soul does, but I think it's still fun in its own way, plus it includes two Wonderswan ports.[/QUOTE]

I didn't like bullet soul much at all. It really needs some actual dodging instead of just holding down fire and bullet canceling.

Hopefully we end up getting black label arrange at some point for do don pachi.

Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome news, thanks OP! Ordering now. I have every region-free Cave shooter, plus Eschatos, BulletSoul, and everything offered on XBLA (except Strania, tried the demo but didn't care for it). Been hoping for a DDP game without having to spring for a Japanese 360.

[quote name='kurtori']
If you have a non-HDTV, the disc will still play but the image will be scrambled. I can't think of any other reason which would result in the display having issues. :)[/QUOTE]

Even if this happens, if your TV has a vertical hold switch you may be able to fix the PAL display by adjusting it. Or I've seen magic boxes online that you plug in between the console and your TV, which will convert the PAL signal to an NTSC. Never tried one so can't say how well they work.

So Amazon.de actually ships to the US? Good thing I know Amazon's website so well that I can navigate through it in German, lol.

[quote name='morrodox']Awesome news, thanks OP! Ordering now. I have every region-free Cave shooter, plus Eschatos, BulletSoul, and everything offered on XBLA (except Strania, tried the demo but didn't care for it). Been hoping for a DDP game without having to spring for a Japanese 360.

Even if this happens, if your TV has a vertical hold switch you may be able to fix the PAL display by adjusting it. Or I've seen magic boxes online that you plug in between the console and your TV, which will convert the PAL signal to an NTSC. Never tried one so can't say how well they work.[/QUOTE]

Not true entirely, there should be no problem with component inputs.

Edit: Meant to quote the part about needing a HDTV

[quote name='therealdeal19']So Amazon.de actually ships to the US? Good thing I know Amazon's website so well that I can navigate through it in German, lol.[/QUOTE]

Google translator for chrome would fix that I think it has something on firefox too

Has anyone successfully registered with ShopTo.Net? I'm having a miserable time. It's not accepting my credit card info, and I can't find how to pre-order through PayPal even though at the bottom of every page it says you can.

[quote name='morrodox']Has anyone successfully registered with ShopTo.Net? I'm having a miserable time. It's not accepting my credit card info, and I can't find how to pre-order through PayPal even though at the bottom of every page it says you can.[/QUOTE]

I registered with Shopto today no problem, including adding my CC info. Had some trouble yesterday doing it though. After the first page where you give your email, password, name, address, and continue, it should take you to the add credit card screen. On IE 9, sometimes it would hang with a "processing credit card" message, even though it never offered the credit card form page and I never entered anything. I used Firefox and it seemed to work fine.

Also, there may be some data on the credit card add form that you should leave blank; you'll need your CVV number from the back of the card, but there is another entry that relates to Euro credit cards, that needs to be left blank.

The other weird thing is that, after setting an account up, if you click the "preorder" button for this game, a quick message appears to say the item is preordered, but then you're back to the same screen. You then have to look at your account/preorders to see it . . . I accidentally had two preordered, so I had to cancel one.

There is an option on the view preorders screen to "pay now", but I'd rather delay the charge (obviously) and see if the exchange rates get better over the next two months (you never know, they might).

[quote name='chimpmeister']I registered with Shopto today no problem, including adding my CC info. Had some trouble yesterday doing it though. After the first page where you give your email, password, name, address, and continue, it should take you to the add credit card screen. On IE 9, sometimes it would hang with a "processing credit card" message, even though it never offered the credit card form page and I never entered anything. I used Firefox and it seemed to work fine.

Also, there may be some data on the credit card add form that you should leave blank; you'll need your CVV number from the back of the card, but there is another entry that relates to Euro credit cards, that needs to be left blank.

The other weird thing is that, after setting an account up, if you click the "preorder" button for this game, a quick message appears to say the item is preordered, but then you're back to the same screen. You then have to look at your account/preorders to see it . . . I accidentally had two preordered, so I had to cancel one.

There is an option on the view preorders screen to "pay now", but I'd rather delay the charge (obviously) and see if the exchange rates get better over the next two months (you never know, they might).[/QUOTE]

I had some issues at first getting the order placed too. I think that the State in the billing or mailing address (which if I remember correctly was labeled "County") required me to enter the two letter abbreviation. When I tried typing "California" I kept getting a weird error, but "CA" worked just fine.

[quote name='joshnorm']So has anyone used shop to.net to import to the good ol us? Was it a decent experience?[/QUOTE]

I've never ordered from them before, but read about positive experiences for importers in the States on CAG.

By the way, love your Wha Happen quote - A Mighty Wind is so great. :)

Just ordered mine from Amazon Germany. Got a few extra copies as holiday gifts for my friends too!

Thanks again everyone... for the responses on the region free 360 Cave shmups I've missed out on and also the non-Cave shmups as well. I never knew there were others.

Since I'm on the topic of shmups with fellow import shmup fans, I also have a PS3 and as far as I can tell, they don't region lock their games, so have there been any good import shmups released on it? Thanks again!

[quote name='sykotek']Just ordered mine from Amazon Germany. Got a few extra copies as holiday gifts for my friends too!

Thanks again everyone... for the responses on the region free 360 Cave shmups I've missed out on and also the non-Cave shmups as well. I never knew there were others.

Since I'm on the topic of shmups with fellow import shmup fans, I also have a PS3 and as far as I can tell, they don't region lock their games, so have there been any good import shmups released on it? Thanks again![/QUOTE]

PS3 strangely has abandoned the shmup genre; although once a staple on the PS1, there are 0 games I can think of for the PS3. The PSN has 2 good gems in Soldner X 1 and 2, and there have been some recent additions that I haven't got to yet, other than PSN though, nothing. This is the only reason I own a 360.

A 360 only japanese game? Who does that? Weekly, 360 sales are behind the PS2 in Japan. Perhaps that's why 360 USA customers are getting it.

So, most of these region free CAVE shooters that were previously released seem impossible to find now, huh?

(and don't say Ebay, because I'm not paying $120)

god damn this looks REALLY old school. Serious bullet hell game. Im tempted to get it just for giggles, but looks like the best deal is amazon.de.. not sure if that version would be in english or german or what. Plus i've been spending a lot on shit i dont really need lately. If there was some bonus swag id probably wind up biting =P

good info for you bullet hell fans though

[quote name='Ash Burton']PS3 strangely has abandoned the shmup genre; although once a staple on the PS1, there are 0 games I can think of for the PS3. The PSN has 2 good gems in Soldner X 1 and 2, and there have been some recent additions that I haven't got to yet, other than PSN though, nothing. This is the only reason I own a 360.[/QUOTE]

I'm the same way. You should try the Gundemonium Collection on PSN. They're much better than Soldner in my opinion (although I haven't played 2). Another shooter on disc for PS3 still available outside of ebay is Mamoru-kun.

[quote name='MrNEWZ']So, most of these region free CAVE shooters that were previously released seem impossible to find now, huh?

(and don't say Ebay, because I'm not paying $120)[/QUOTE]

You can still get many of the import region-free 360 shmups from www.play-asia.com . They're often high in price, but titles like Bullet Soul had retail prices of around $85 in Japan. Shmups on 360 on Japan are unfortunately a niche kinda thing.

[quote name='Kenshindono']god damn this looks REALLY old school. Serious bullet hell game. Im tempted to get it just for giggles, but looks like the best deal is amazon.de.. not sure if that version would be in english or german or what. Plus i've been spending a lot on shit i dont really need lately. If there was some bonus swag id probably wind up biting =P

good info for you bullet hell fans though[/QUOTE]

The bonus swag is the free CD soundtrack inside the box! ;)

@Kenshindono: Hmm, didn't notice that the language for the Amazon.de version was German only. Guess I'll be cancelling my Amazon.de orders...I mean, if it's available for it and at the same price, I may as well have it in English.

I also read that ShopTo has, in the past, increased prices for preorders before an item has shipped and it says so right at the bottom of their page that they reserve the right to do so.

Anyone have any positive experiences importing with HMV? Options are starting to dwindle.

-----

@Ash Burton: I've been purchasing PSN titles and have both the Soldner-X games. It's a shame shmups aren't being released on PS3. Thanks for your input!

Wouldn't the version from Amazon.de just have the manual in German? The game should have a language select like most PAL releases. Now I'm not sure, I might cancel my pre-order.

I've decided to hold off on cancelling my pre-order for now and have contacted Rising Star Games directly for additional information on what the differences may be between a UK and German version since it's speculation so far that there may be major differences.

Again, I've read up quite a bit about ShopTo and, not to discourage anyone from pre-ordering from them, but I've read at least 2 separate occasions where they've increased prices of popular products on pre-orders, once for Modern Warfare 2 and another for Uncharted 2. Not exactly what I want to deal with half a world away...that and the whole thing about losing packages etc, I'd rather pay a bit extra and get it through HMV once I hear a good testimonial about them.

Anyways, when I hear back from RSG, I'll report back here for you guys.

@Relysis: Thanks for mentioning Mamoru-kun, reminds me a bit of Heavenly Guardian, definitely something I'll look into.

[quote name='kurtori']You can still get many of the import region-free 360 shmups from www.play-asia.com . They're often high in price, but titles like Bullet Soul had retail prices of around $85 in Japan. Shmups on 360 on Japan are unfortunately a niche kinda thing.[/QUOTE]

Mushihimesama and Espgaluda II are easy to find since they were re-released as Platinum Hits. Get them from Play-Asia as Kurtori mentioned or other import shops in the US like Japanvideogames, Videogamesnewyork or NCSX. Or, if you're n Europe, there has to be imports shops that still stock those two games.

Muchi Muchi Pork/Pink Sweets is out of print, but you can get still get it from shops in Japan like HMV (that's where I bought my copy).

Bullet Soul and Eschatos, while not CAVE games, are still easy to find, but still retail price which makes them expensive.

[quote name='MrNEWZ']So, most of these region free CAVE shooters that were previously released seem impossible to find now, huh?

(and don't say Ebay, because I'm not paying $120)[/QUOTE]

Mushihimesama and Espgaluda II are easy to find since they were re-released as Platinum Hits. Get them from Play-Asia as Kurtori mentioned or other import shops in the US like Japanvideogames, Videogamesnewyork or NCSX.

Muchi Muchi Pork/Pink Sweets is out of print, but you can get still get it from shops in Japan like HMV (that's where I bought my copy).

Bullet Soul and Eschatos, while not CAVE games, are still easy to find, but still retail price which makes them expensive.

[quote name='therealdeal19']Wouldn't the version from Amazon.de just have the manual in German? The game should have a language select like most PAL releases. Now I'm not sure, I might cancel my pre-order.[/QUOTE]

Why would you pre-order from Amazon.de? The shipping is usually far more than anywhere else. I think the only time I ever ordered a game from them, the shipping was $14 US on a German exclusive Wii game that only cost $20. I just checked and shipping is now 14 Euros or $20 USD. This will be stocked by all the usual UK retailers and shipping is usually a couple of pounds at most. No need to overpay on Amazon.DE.

[quote name='RollingSkull']Already have the SUPERIOR Iphone version so who needs the console version[/QUOTE]Hmm, I gave the iPad version a spin and could not delete it fast enough.

bread's done
Back