Your personal Human Interface Device

Zacmanman

CAGiversary!
And by that I mean mouse, although if you want to make this a gamepad/keyboard/mouse thread, go ahead.

I'm not sure if I'm a hipster or a nerd but I use a Logitech Trakman trackball (the one that's not wireless, I mean, it's a trackball, it doesn't move) and a Microsoft Natural Keyboard Elite (the black one, because I'm racist). It took me a while to get used to the trackball, especially for gaming, but I find that it's just as accurate as a mouse after some training and I never run out of space or find myself readjusting at all.

The Split/curved keyboard took me no time to get used to though. I'm a touch typist(self-taught so I have some weird tendencies) and I type with a different Keyboard layout (Colemak for anyone interested), so looking at the keys is worthless to me. And I can't rearrange them due to the shape of the keyboard (even though when I used a normal keyboard I didn't do that either).

So what say you? Anyone have any fancy setups for their frags? Do you thing I'm a $$$?

For my personal gaming rig I have this:

Mouse
marblemousesm.jpg
- $5.99

Keyboard - Silver
directron1983886935728.jpg
- $8.99

Gamepad
20060518blog003.jpg
- $4.99

and

125123logitechdualactio.gif
- $7.50

I have 2 HTPC each with a remote and 4 wireless control pads and they have No KB and/or mouse immediately attach to them.

Remote

633131219074.jpg
- $5.99

Gamepad

logitechf710.jpg
- Free

I have few older machines that I use for LAN gaming when family or friends visit but they are all using stock devices.

[quote name='Zacmanman']Microsoft Natural Keyboard Elite[/QUOTE]
I have a Microsoft Natural Keyboard as well (and isn't black the only color that's available for it currently?), the 4000 model. I've gone through a few now; I think my first one might've been an Elite. Absolutely the best keyboard line I've ever used.

My mouse is nothing special. It's just a low-end Microsoft one with... not the best scroll wheel in the world, but it gets the job done.

For the times when I want a gamepad, I use a DualShock 2 with a PS2-to-USB converter.

[quote name='Megazell']For my personal gaming rig I have this:

Mouse
marblemousesm.jpg
- $5.99

[/QUOTE]

I've used one of these a few times and I prefer thumb driven trackballs

[quote name='blueshinra']I have a Microsoft Natural Keyboard as well (and isn't black the only color that's available for it currently?), the 4000 model.[/QUOTE]

Black is the only color for the 4000, but the Natural Elite comes in White and Black (I've had both.) I also hate the 4000. It's a good keyboard but it has nothing on the Natural Elite. The keys feel a lot better. It doesn't have any of the fancier stuff, but it certainly feels a lot better on my hands.

Mice:

Logitech G500

I love this mouse. It's WIRED! I tend to prefer wired. No batteries to fool with. No worries that I'm adding a little more to the very crowded wireless environment in my neighborhood. (Yes. I actually think about /other computer users./)

Having said that, my other 'mouse' is a wireless trackball:

Logitech M570 Trackball.

I use this for very light gaming on my netbook. It is wireless and I wish it came in a wired version.

I basically picked up this device to get used to using a trackball, since a good friend kept pestering me that I cannot know for sure that I'd prefer mice over a trackball without honestly trying one. To her disappointment, I'm sure, I went right out and bought one, practiced with it for two months, and now feel that I can say with conviction that I prefer mice.

This device is wonderful for surfing the web and getting actual work done, however.

Keyboard:

Original design Logitech G15.

/Favored/ input device for the games I enjoy:

Wired Xbox 360 Gamepad. Supplemented with keyboard for data entry.

I don't tend to find first person shooters all that fun. Borderlands being a notable exception.

I enjoy adventure games and platformers.

I also like having fine gradations of movement speed. As opposed to STOP, WALK, FULL TILT SPRINT. Ala Mouse and Keyboard. I tend to prefer graceful movement to pulling off headshots with a sniper rifle.

I've never used the M570 ( I eye'd it for a while but decided to use the Trackman Wheel instead(the corded older one). I don't need any of those fancy buttons and I like Thumb driven and the likeness to a normal mouse, but I prefer the motion and track of the trackball.

Logitech G500 mouse, some USB keyboard I got from a friend, OEM from a hospital, no brand name but it's built like ttank, and a wired 360 pad.

i use a basic dell keyboard and ms intellimouse 3.0.

if i need a controller i use ps2 with converter or ps3 controller.
if i need a stick... i just bought a logitech extreme 3d pro! now i can play freespace and tie fighter properly!

[quote name='kainzero']
if i need a stick... i just bought a logitech extreme 3d pro! now i can play freespace and tie fighter properly![/QUOTE]

I've always had an interest in using a joystick that's made for Flight simulators for other games. $30 isn't bad for that stick, but does anyone think that's a good idea or should I just stick with my trackball?

bread's done
Back