Any Neo Geo Fans?

I'm a big Neo Geo fan . . . bought the home system when it first released in 1991 for like $600.00, and picked up almost all the games on home carts and MVS formats. Used to have a 4-slot cabinet, but I sold it a while ago.

Some of my top favorite games for the system are the entire Metal Slug series, the Samurai Shodown series, Last Blade 1&2, Garou: MOTW, the King of Fighters series, and the Fatal Fury series. I also love some of the shmups on the system like Alpha Mission II, Pulstar, Blazing Star, Viewpoint, and Strikers 1945 Plus. Shock Troopers is also a classic top-down soldier-based shooter, which is fantastic. There were a lot of great games released on the Neo Geo, and fortunately some of them are on PSN at least, so people can check them out on PSPs or PS3s.

Just picked up a boxed system this summer with eight games, and I'm loving it. Was never able to get it back when, as the price was just way too high for a kid who had to buy his own games, but glad I was able to grab it later in life. I did get to enjoy the arcades back when, as there was always a distinctive mix on the 4-slot cabs.

[quote name='chimpmeister']I'm a big Neo Geo fan . . . bought the home system when it first released in 1991 for like $600.00, and picked up almost all the games on home carts and MVS formats. Used to have a 4-slot cabinet, but I sold it a while ago.

Some of my top favorite games for the system are the entire Metal Slug series, the Samurai Shodown series, Last Blade 1&2, Garou: MOTW, the King of Fighters series, and the Fatal Fury series. I also love some of the shmups on the system like Alpha Mission II, Pulstar, Blazing Star, Viewpoint, and Strikers 1945 Plus. Shock Troopers is also a classic top-down soldier-based shooter, which is fantastic. There were a lot of great games released on the Neo Geo, and fortunately some of them are on PSN at least, so people can check them out on PSPs or PS3s.[/QUOTE]

Nice man. I only have two games though so far (World Heroes and The Super Spy). Super Spy has taken my time tremendously though I look forward to obtaining more games in near future : D

[quote name='skinkrawl']Just picked up a boxed system this summer with eight games, and I'm loving it. Was never able to get it back when, as the price was just way too high for a kid who had to buy his own games, but glad I was able to grab it later in life. I did get to enjoy the arcades back when, as there was always a distinctive mix on the 4-slot cabs.[/QUOTE]

Nice,which games?

My MVS collection is here.

Absolutely love the MVS. I got a 1-slot off Craigslist a few months back, and, started picking up all the essentials. I only need 10-15 more games before I can say I have all the MVS games I really want.

[quote name='Rig']My MVS collection is here.

Absolutely love the MVS. I got a 1-slot off Craigslist a few months back, and, started picking up all the essentials. I only need 10-15 more games before I can say I have all the MVS games I really want.[/QUOTE]

Very nice collection Rig. I'm trying to obtain one of those MVS adapters for AES as I unfortunately don't have the space for a cabinet besides the fact it's more cheaper for MVS games then AES games. Hasn't been easy at all.Besides the fact I need my unit unibios'd as I have a Japanese version

I always wanted an AES back in the day but couldnt afford one but once I got a paycheck it once of the first things I bought. Right now Im trying to get an mvs arcade to place next to my sega arcade machine.

Someday I want one of those big red 4 slot MVS machines that used to be in every 7-11, Pizza place, laundromat, and arcade in the US.

In the meantime I do have a pretty good collection of CD games and a few essential AES carts.

EDIT - I still kick myself for passing on Samurai Shodown V Special brand new for ~300 when it first came out. That shit got pricy in a hurry.

I bought a AES when I graduated high school in 95. Have 10 games for it including the best 2d fighting game of all time, Samurai Shodown 2.

Picked up a Neo CD this summer and have almost every game released for it on cd. They're difficult to find so I only have Samurai Shodown 3 and 4 in original form. Would love to get them all but even the "common" ones are hard to find for a decent price.

I also have Neo Geo Pocket Color and I believe 20+ games. SNKvsCapcom Cardfighters is one of my favorite games ever.

I would love to spend more time collecting Neo Geo stuff, but it is painfully expensive... :(

I'm a big Neo Geo Fan. I have 4 game sit down candy cabinet in my garage and an AES system with about 25 games. I'll post pics later.

Just made a deal for Garou Mark of the Wolves and World Heroes Perfect. Down to about six more "must haves" that I need before I can say I'm good.

Then, I'll be after a candy cab or two.

Wow - nice collection Rig. I like Neo Geo games but I'm not a huge huge fan. They do get a fair amount of play on my MAME cab though.

Definitely a fan, but the only Neo stuff I own is a NGPC.

I am aiming for a 4 slot cab sometime within my future, hopefully sometime next year.

Big fan of SNKs games here. I've had a Neo Geo since 1995. Don't have it hooked up now though. My collection has dwindled, because I've sold some games, but I have a few.

I play Classic compliations like Vol. 1 on PSP and Metal Slug anthology.

[quote name='Rig']My MVS collection is here.

Absolutely love the MVS. I got a 1-slot off Craigslist a few months back, and, started picking up all the essentials. I only need 10-15 more games before I can say I have all the MVS games I really want.[/QUOTE]

I see Waku Waku 7 in there! One of my all time favorites.

FYI, NGDEV is keeping both AES and MVS alive

http://www.ngdevdirect.com/

MVS - Fast Striker, Gunlord, LHPB
AES - Gunlord.

There's a plan to bring Fast Striker and LHPB to AES later next year. I understand the prices are steep, the alternative is Dreamcast version, they just got reprints of previous 2 titles.

Oh, my collection -

http://www.neo-geo.com/gallery/collections/vincewy/vincewy.html

Recently I have added MVS carts not released on AES to complement my AES collection, glad it's still going

I am a huge Neo Geo fan. I got a Neo Geo AES, Neo Geo CD, Neo Geo Pocket Color, and a consolized Neo Geo MVS. I would love to get a MVS cabinet, but I currently don't have much space in my gameroom at the moment. :cry:

Recent developments of consolized MVS, looking more and more like home system, my top picks are:

http://analogueinteractive.myshopify.com

cmvs_walnut_large.jpg

cmvs-slim_store_large.jpg

http://arcadeworks.net

omega_complete.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I should save up and get one of those arcadeworks ones. $515 + shipping for cheapass MVS games on modern TVs is a pretty doable deal. I mean, I've wanted an MVS convertor for my AES system for years but since it's an unmodded AES system, using it on an HDTV isn't a great option. Thanks for the links.

[quote name='Halo05']I should save up and get one of those arcadeworks ones. $515 + shipping for cheapass MVS games on modern TVs is a pretty doable deal. I mean, I've wanted an MVS convertor for my AES system for years but since it's an unmodded AES system, using it on an HDTV isn't a great option. Thanks for the links.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I was thinking about getting one of the MVS Converter II's to play on my AES. I decided to go with a CMVS though because I heard there is some scaling issues with some games with the converter like Last Blade.

Just for a quick update email from NGDEV, but their message can be viewed here

http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showth...=1#post3275650

Pre-orders for Fast Strikers and Last Hope:pink Bullet will open soon.

I'm only surprised by the low numbers of productions, AES should be at least 200, MVS 100. I guess for small companies like NGDEV, they need to recoup the cost quickly and can't afford to sit around stocks of games.

lhpbfull.png

pic3.png

gl_mvs_bottumup.jpg

1395831_594630333926578_1022759191_n.jpg

10383016_707382145984729_3348726138902263800_n.png

I haven't even pulled out my old Neo in like - forever... but I play the classics on my PSP. Played Baseball Stars 2 on the PSP collection just a week or so ago while waiting for my Mom at the hospital...

That's dead sexy. I honestly would prefer one that also included NGP games. That system was never backlit and mine is packed far away in a box somewhere. I already have most of the AES/MVS games that I want in some format, I don't need them in a portable one.

[quote name='Halo05']That's dead sexy. I honestly would prefer one that also included NGP games. That system was never backlit and mine is packed far away in a box somewhere. I already have most of the AES/MVS games that I want in some format, I don't need them in a portable one.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, NGPC games would be awesome. I have nearly all the MVS games I want, too.

I have a NGPC...but have trouble viewing it.

I have a 4-slot mint condition "big red" MVS cabinet, a memory card, and about 8-10 cartridges for it, including Metal Slug! Got the cabinet with 4 games for $300 (amazing steal of a deal) and I've spent maybe an additional $200 on games.

Love the NG, and NGP. Been hoping to find a NG deal on craigslist for awhile.. but the only ones I've seen have been too far away to make it worth it.

found a pic of my old console MVS. It had an EL Neo Geo logo on the top, but for whatever reason, I don't have or didn't take a pic :/

You can sorta see it (in red) if you look really close. The top was smoke plexi painted black around a stencil on the underside to get the effect (i.e. invisible when off, illuminated when powered on)

DSC01004.jpg

So, I'm looking at MVS units on eBay, and they're beyond dirt cheap (like 50-75 buck on average). But, consolized systems are going for like 600-800 bucks o_O Um, I think I found a way to make some quick money. These things are not that hard to make, especially using the old 'bolt it to a plastic cutting board" technique that almost everyone on eBay is using.

Question:

In the market for a Neo Geo. Figure I'll get an AES with a MVS converter. I'm just wondering if this works with RGB and if this is the best option otherwise?

[quote name='Smashbro29']But an AES with an MVS converter is the way to go right?[/QUOTE]

It's one of the cheaper methods. An AES console is going to be much easier to plug into a standard television, and will look much more appealing than the bare circuit board of the MVS. And the MVS cartridges are WAY cheaper to collect.

One of the issues I have with Neo Geo is the difficulty in getting the system to run on modern televisions. I don't believe component video was a thing when the original AES came out, and I know that HDMI didn't exist at the time. And MVS boards suffer from the same difficulties that all arcade boards do. (having to find specialized monitors to run them on)

So for the time being, a full arcade set up is still the easiest way to get an authentic Neo Geo experience.

bread's done
Back