BB Exclusive: Captain America 1st Avenger Blu-ray packaging + Free 1-Month Marvel Sub

Jcaugustine

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
iNCREDiPiNOY usually brings this news but...

http://bluray.ign.com/articles/119/1196251p1.html

If you took advantage of the Thor exclusives offered by Best Buy, this news will sound a bit familiar. As it did with that Paramount Pictures/Universal Studios title, the retail chain will carry a limited edition Captain America: The First Avenger Blu-ray/DVD combo pack with special packaging not available anywhere else. The release will feature cover art from Captain America's first comic appearance in 1941 with an iconic image of Cap punching Hitler.

2016665-captain_america_blu_ray.jpg

Captain America: The First Avenger comes out on DVD, Blu-ray, and 3D Blu-ray on Oct. 25.

The combo pack will come with Blu-ray, DVD and digital versions of the film as well as over 70+ minutes of bonus features, including the original Marvel One-Shot short film "A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to Thor's Hammer" and an exclusive sneak peek at The Avengers Movie (May 2012) and more.

Those who pre-order the title will also get a free one-month subscription to Marvel Digital Comics Unlimited (the same deal that was offered with Thor).

Special Features:

-Feature film with commentary by director Joe Johnston, director of photography Shelly Johnson and editor Jeff Ford

-”Marvel One-Shot: A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to Thor’s Hammer”

-Featurettes: “Outfitting a Hero,” “Howling Commandos,” “Heightened Technology,” “The Transformation,” “Behind the Skull,” “Captain America Origins,” “The Assembly Begins”

-Deleted Scenes with commentary by director Joe Johnston, director of photography Shelly Johnson and editor Jeff Ford

-Trailers

Including more than 70+ minutes of bonus content:

00:03:44:01 MARVEL ONE-SHOT: A FUNNY THING HAPPENED ON THE WAY TO THOR’S HAMMER
00:01:08:17 THE AVENGERS – EARTH’S MIGHTIEST HEROES!
00:03:40:16 CAPTAIN AMERICA’S ORIGIN
00:10:20:20 OUTFITTING A HERO
00:05:47:02 HOWLING COMMANDOS
00:11:41:07 HEIGHTENED TECHNOLOGY
00:09:53:15 BEHIND THE SKULL
00:08:23:13 THE TRANSFORMATION
00:02:13:15 CAPTAIN AMERICA – SUPER SOLDIER
00:01:37:13 THE AVENGERS
00:00:38:06 (DELETED SCENES: NORWAY TANK ATTACK)
00:01:29:22 (DELETED SCENES: BUCKY’S BATTLE)
00:00:57:23 (DELETED SCENES: YOU DESERVE A MEDAL)
00:02:02:22 (DELETED SCENES: THERE’S A PLACE FOR YOU HERE)
00:00:39:08 (DELETED SCENES: NORWAY TANK ATTACK W/COMMENTARY)
00:01:29:24 (DELETED SCENES: BUCKY’S BATTLE W/COMMENTARY)
00:00:57:23 (DELETED SCENES: YOU DESERVE A MEDAL W/COMMENTARY)
00:02:18:05 CAPTAIN AMERICA – THE FIRST AVENGER (THEATRICAL TRAILER #1)
00:02:17:19 CAPTAIN AMERICA – THE FIRST AVENGER (THEATRICAL TRAILER #2)
Here's the said Thor - Best Buy packaging (thanks iNCREDiPiNOY):

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=301244

Last edited by a moderator:
I had been surprised that the 3D version of Thor didn't get the slipcover treatment, though as I didn't hear any review give the 3D version anything except a "meh" or worse, that explains why the 3D version didn't get it.

I wonder if the same thing will hold true here or not for Captain America.

[quote name='shrike4242']I had been surprised that the 3D version of Thor didn't get the slipcover treatment, though as I didn't hear any review give the 3D version anything except a "meh" or worse, that explains why the 3D version didn't get it.

I wonder if the same thing will hold true here or not for Captain America.[/QUOTE]
Probably so as Cap wasn't shot in "true" 3d but converted in post-production.
It was a neat effect in Thor but only really shined when the
Tree of Life
was revealed at the end.
I'll still end up buying the 3d version just to have it in the collection, plus these 3d discs never seem to be on sale after the release week.

[quote name='shrike4242']I had been surprised that the 3D version of Thor didn't get the slipcover treatment, though as I didn't hear any review give the 3D version anything except a "meh" or worse, that explains why the 3D version didn't get it.

I wonder if the same thing will hold true here or not for Captain America.[/QUOTE]
Some placed had the slip covers for the 3D version.

I got one for mine (at Best Buy).

It does say "Limited Edition".

$%28KGrHqIOKkIE5Toki+Q,BOd%28KMPt7g%7E%7E60_12.JPG

Does the UPC cover part of the comic cover for Thor? I've seen the back of it from multiple sources and both had the UPC covering part of the art. If that's the case, then it completely ruins these covers

edit: okay after seeing some vids, it's a sticker, which can be peeled off (hopefully cleanly)

[quote name='Vader582']Probably so as Cap wasn't shot in "true" 3d but converted in post-production.
Tree of Life
was revealed at the end.
I'll still end up buying the 3d version just to have it in the collection, plus these 3d discs never seem to be on sale after the release week.[/QUOTE]I didn't see it in the theatres, so I hadn't seen the 3D first-hand. Every review I ran across for the 3D disc pretty much said it wasn't that great to outright bad. That's why I passed on the 3D version for Thor and assuming Cap goes the same way, will probably pass on the 3D version of that one as well. We'll see how the reviews are.

[quote name='Jcaugustine']Some placed had the slip covers for the 3D version.

I got one for mine (at Best Buy).

It does say "Limited Edition".

$%28KGrHqIOKkIE5Toki+Q,BOd%28KMPt7g%7E%7E60_12.JPG
[/QUOTE]
Nice find, though that slip cover isn't BB-exclusive, the 3D version for Thor and Cap America both say "Limited Edition".

[quote name='shrike4242']Yay! :D

For another slipcover? :whistle2:s

Wish it was a steelbook after all and not a slipcover.[/QUOTE]

Ship me all of your slipcovers.

The Thor slip that was exclusive to BB was the terribly ugly all-red one.

[quote name='Scorch']Ship me all of your slipcovers.

The Thor slip that was exclusive to BB was the terribly ugly all-red one.[/QUOTE]Now, I didn't say I was giving up my slip covers, did I? :lol:

I'm just saying that I would have liked another steelbook like they had with some of their other movies, such as Salt, Hurt Locker or Halo Legends.

Thor was the cheapest at release with it being $22.99, so I'm hoping Cap America is the same price for the combo pack.

Shrike, you're certainly not missing anything not getting the 3d version. It's ok but as you read, not mind blowing. I have just started buying 3d versions of movies I'm interested in because I've kicked myself after missing out on a few on sale.

That German SB looks nice. Any word on region locking? I can't see the UK one since I'm on my phone ATM.

[quote name='Vader582']Probably so as Cap wasn't shot in "true" 3d but converted in post-production.
Tree of Life
was revealed at the end.
I'll still end up buying the 3d version just to have it in the collection, plus these 3d discs never seem to be on sale after the release week.[/QUOTE]

WHAT THE WHAT?!?! Captain America was shot in 2D and converted? My mind is blown, how come Green Hornet's conversion to 3D looked so crappy? I saw Cap twice in the theater and I was 100% sure it was shot in 3D, seriously I can't believe it was shot in 2D, wow, this kinda makes me want to see if Conan The Barbarian's 3D conversion is any good.

It does suck the most expensive Combo pack isn't getting the exclusive treatment, it's only the slipcover that's different, right?

Anyone know if The Avengers is being shot in 3D?

[quote name='Mako1215']Is UK region free?

I might get both. I'm diggin' the steelbook art, and I like the retro slip.[/QUOTE]

the UK one is region free, the German one should be too.

[quote name='ILikeMe1337']WHAT THE WHAT?!?! Captain America was shot in 2D and converted? My mind is blown, how come Green Hornet's conversion to 3D looked so crappy? I saw Cap twice in the theater and I was 100% sure it was shot in 3D, seriously I can't believe it was shot in 2D, wow!

Anyone know if The Avengers is being shot in 3D?[/QUOTE]
Yes.

Director Joss Whedon is filming The AVENGERS in true 3-D.

http://www.showbiz411.com/2010/08/10/marvel-movie-the-avengers-will-be-in-3d

I liked the Thor Best Buy-exclusive slipcover and this one looks great too. I'll probably get it from best Buy unless somebody else offers a way better deal.

Evans does look a little odd in the shot on the front of the BB slipcover. Like his head is too big and his hand's too small. That's what happens when you use way too much editing software on a photograph.

[quote name='eastx']Ouch. Let's hope it's on sale for less come release week.[/QUOTE]

Seriously. I've got credit at BB to use, but theres gotta be a price drop before I bite.

[quote name='eastx']Ouch. Let's hope it's on sale for less come release week.[/QUOTE]It's down to $24.99 from its initial $29.99.

My guess it'll hit the same point as Thor when it released, $22.99. We have a little less than three weeks to go for release (10/25), so it might end up being down another $2 by then.

I don't suppose Best Buy has a pre-order price guarantee like Amazon? I'd like to order it now, but only if they'll match the price when it releases.

[quote name='PR Mega X']I don't suppose Best Buy has a pre-order price guarantee like Amazon? I'd like to order it now, but only if they'll match the price when it releases.[/QUOTE]They don't. Wait it out for another week or so and I'd guess it'll be down to $22.99, when they change the pricing around to work into what the ad for release week would show.

[quote name='MrOlympiaSC']Looks like the exclusive will be 22.99 and the 3D version will be 24.99 @ BB next week. They have updated their prices on their site.

I think I'll go with the 3D version in this case.[/QUOTE]

Thanks. Grabbed the non-3D version, and the less good Hulk movie on BR to get free shipping. *Finally* got to use my gift cards, ended up spending $5.05 total.

[quote name='shrike4242']Seems to be a middling-to-passable 3D release, on par with Thor:

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Captain-America-The-First-Avenger-Blu-ray/22069/[/QUOTE]
^ I think you linked the 2D Review... which actually got an impressive 4.5 / 5 stars!

Captain America leaps onto Blu-ray with a gorgeous 1080p transfer. The image appears rather subdued by design; fine detail is extensive but not always redly evident, and colors are dull throughout. That doesn't make this any less of a looker. Paramount's transfer is extraordinarily stable, crisp, and yields breathtaking clarity and cleanliness.

Detailing is astounding in spots; complex facial textures are evident in both the brightest shots and the lowest-light conditions alike, but the picture's sepia-toned shots do lend a rather pasty look to faces where shadowy corners occasionally struggle with smooth color transition. Nevertheless, textures on military helmets, Captain America's complex suit, concrete and brick façades, and the like are all outstanding. The digital photography occasionally produces minor banding, but the image is otherwise pristine and free of any perceptible digital anomalies. Blacks are sturdy and inky, yielding richly-texrtured dark scenes and never crushing out details. Some viewers may be turned off by the absence of "eye candy" visuals; the color palette in particular appears always drained and favoring a dark gray, black, blue, or sepia-toned structure.

There's no denying that this is another first-rate Blu-ray transfer from Paramount.

Hmm, I don't know what to do. I'll be at Best Buy picking up Battlefield 3 on Tuesday, so I could pick up Captain America with the exclusive cover while I am there for $22.99 plus tax. But the non-exclusive cover of the same version is $21.99 on Amazon, with release day delivery and no tax. So I need to figure out if an exclusive cover is worth the extra $2.38 I'd spend on it or not. Also if it goes on sale within 30 days of release date, I can get the balance refunded to me from Best Buy I think, but not Amazon. I try to save money as often as possible, lol.

[quote name='LoveDragonDon']Really too bad the steelbook at Best Buy doesn't have 3D![/QUOTE]

Really too bad Best Buy doesn't have a steelbook to offer said 3D version in!

Last edited by a moderator:
Wtf guys I'm in store and don't see any thing like the pic, just standard stuff..am I missing something?

Edit oh I see, just on the back of the slipcover..lame

Damnit, went to Best Buy, tried to price match BestBuy.com for 3D version, it's back to $27.99, I just ended up buying it, I wanted it too much to wait, like I said even though it was shot in 2D and converted to 3D, to me it was the best 3D movie of 2011.

Looks like Best Buy screwed up -- instead of getting the 2D version with the slipcover, they sent me the 3D version. I have no need for the 3D version, but I don't care enough for the slipcover to exchange it. I guess I'll call it a win?

bread's done
Back