Dark Souls - the successor to Demon's Souls - Now available

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
[youtube]93LFz_j5fQA[/youtube]

Dark Souls, the sequel in everything but name to PS3 action-RPG Demon's Souls, comes from developer From Software and publisher Namco Bandai.

Achievements
Reviews
Strategy
115.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been watching Dark Soul streams on Justin TV way too much.

Starting to get that sports fan mind set where every little mistake they make, I start thinking that I could do better.

Come game time I just know as soon as I snap the ball a 280lb Defensive Lineman is going to bust through and pulverize me.

Got it on 360 this time around. Hope I made a good choice. I was on the fence for a while but I went with the 360 in the end.

"If you play games to be entertained Dark Souls isn't for you." Lol. D-bag statement of the year. Why the hell else would you play a video game?

So is this the thread that we should all go to for emotional support once the game comes out? I briefly played Demons Souls but I am very much looking forward to a hard core challenge.

Theres no party chat or private chat allowed in this game apparently.
Not that anyone wants to hear me screaming anyways.

[quote name='Monsta Mack']Theres no party chat or private chat allowed in this game apparently.
Not that anyone wants to hear me screaming anyways.[/QUOTE]

I like that personally. Helps keep the mood--

I just watched Giant Bomb's quick look: Link

It's pretty entertaining, but the one guy playing got on my nerves at the end when he kept going "OMG!...OMG!...OMG!.."

Yeah, I'm very glad there's no chat allowed in this game.

You can keep the 'intended' mood in other games by simply not going into party chat. There is literally no benefit to not offering it other than making the 360 version more on par with the PS3 one.

Demon's Souls was the reason why I bought a PS3 and it is my first and only Platinum. I'm getting Dark Souls for the 360 though.

Can't fucking wait for this tonight. I was planning on getting Rage too, but you know what? fuck Rage.

Finally a Japanese dev does something right.

Yeah, this game's been getting great reviews. Don't have a PS3, so I never played the first one. Not sure I'd like the incredible difficulty, but everyone seems to say that it's still fun. I consider myself a fairly proficient gamer, but I have a feeling I'd get crushed in this game. For these reasons I'm probably going to wait till it's $40 or lower. (Unless I can get it for my birthday next week.)

I do really like that they're not having ANY DLC in this game. Finally, a game where you actually pay for the whole game.

...(crickets chirping)....

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/321071/dark-souls-review-scores-go-live-are-incredible/

Dark Souls review scores go live, are incredible
9's across the board for Namco bruiser

Dark Souls reviews have flooded the internet and From Software's punishingly difficult RPG is currently the talk of the town with an overwhelmingly positive response from critics.

Click to view larger image OXM has awarded it a 9/10 and describes the game as "depressingly evil but utterly addictive". The review makes it perfectly clear Dark Souls is likely to be "too brutal for most newcomers" but also says it's "more exciting than anything, ever".

Xbox World says Dark Souls is a "stern but deeply rewarding experience" and thinks its "stupefying breadth will surely capture your imagination like few other worlds you've explored in games". It awarded the game a 9.6/10 score.

GamesTM has also given Dark Souls 9/10 and comments: "Dark Souls is a fine example of how great forethought and a less than tepid attitude towards taking risks pay dividends in the hands of real gamers. It is nothing short of extraordinary, though perhaps a couple of years on from Demon's Souls, it is also less surprising."

"Dark Souls is brutally uncompromising yet practically unparalleled in the sense reward it can offer to those who persist. Its inaccessible nature will put many off, but those who brave it will discover one of the deepest, most fulfilling gaming experiences available", Beefjack concludes, awarding the game 9.4/10.

Dark Souls earned a 5/5 from The Telegraph, which says "It is a game that brazenly proves game design fashions are just that; transient, fleeting trends that, in attempting to lay down a set of rules only throw down a new challenge for how things might be done".

Electronic Theatre went with a score of 89%. It says Dark Souls will be recognised as a success for being "a videogame experience that grips the player and doesn't let go, despite the additional investment that may be required as players break their controls in a fury of anger."

NowGamer's 9.0 verdict calls Dark Souls a "compulsively difficult RPG that all genre-fans must seek out. It's a dark, hesitant world that you won't be able to resist".

"Dark Souls revels in its abstruseness: it goes out of its way to make those who wouldn't say they were RPG veterans feel like they missed a crucial class at school. To prosper in it, you almost need to operate like a detective, seeking out hidden areas and objects, and mining its endless menus (in gloriously old-school fashion, they can only be traversed using the D-pad) for tiny little edges that eventually add up", says The Guardian, it pegged Dark Souls with a 4/5.

IGN's review explains that "If you take the time get into Dark Souls' mindset, to begin to understand the twisted way in which it operates and taste the rewards behind its cruellest challenges, this is one of the most thrilling, most fascinating and most completely absorbing experiences in gaming." It awarded the game an overall score of 9.0.

"If entertainment is fun without failure and progress without pain, you'll have to find it somewhere else. But you'll be missing out on one of the best games of the year," concludes Eurogamer. It added another 9/10 score to the pile.

Finally is GameSpot's 9.5 review, which states: "Dark Souls doesn't just surpass other dungeon crawlers; it skewers them with a razor-sharp halberd and leaves behind their soulless corpses".

[quote name='buddynayr']For those who have it: is this worth $60? There don't seem to be any deals right now.[/QUOTE]

I heard BestBuy added a free $10 gift card with it, though I haven't seen it myself.

My Amazon preorder won't get here for a few days due to them getting short-shipped or something. Nuts.

jsut went to kmart and got it. 20$ gc i think is the best deal atm but got to use it in 2 months. even if i dont get mw3 i'll put the credit towards a 3ds game.

anyways went xbox because i havnt used my ps3 in like a year and dont feel like unpacking it till maybe uncharted 3 :)

People are getting Best Buy to match the Kmart $20 GC.

Also anyone with the CE having issues redeeming your code?

If this weren't a dungeon crawler I'd be all over it in a heart beat. Fantastic scores, rewarding game play, co-op, RPG, huge core gamer emphasis, ugh. I want... so badly... but know deep down inside we weren't meant to be. ;'(

can call it a dungeon crawler but its really closer to god of war with rpg elements with most of the game play. :)

btw kmart is actually much closer than bb for me. the closet bb is a good 10 min trip on the interstate, ya no thanks. even have a 10 gc from em and wont use it hehe.

[quote name='Ashesinfall']The taurus demon is kicking my ass, man.[/QUOTE]

When you go through the gate climb up the ladder on the left side. Kill the two undead up top. Then run forward to spawn the demon. When it jumps down turn around and haul ass back to the ladder. Climb to the top and do a lunging attack, should take off a 1/3 of its health. Roll between legs and get some distance. Turn around and roll back underneath the legs and climb up ladder again and repeat. Be quick though when you are on top of the ladder because he will jump up there. Should take about 3 times. Also fire bombs are another good option.

ive always wanted to try this series, but never picked up demons souls. should i just skip that and pick this one up, or just start with demons souls?

[quote name='Supreme0ne']ive always wanted to try this series, but never picked up demons souls. should i just skip that and pick this one up, or just start with demons souls?[/QUOTE]

There's no storyline connection and Demon's Souls is only on PS3. If you have both systems, it would be cheaper to get Demon's Souls now and wait for a price drop on Dark Souls. Or you could skip Demon's Souls entirely and get Dark Souls for your preferred system.

i quit once i found the skeletons

pretty badass game but i really dont have a day off from college and work till friday:)

The limited edition is fetching over $100 on ebay im debating selling it on ebay and then just getting the game when price drops

[quote name='xCappax']The limited edition is fetching over $100 on ebay im debating selling it on ebay and then just getting the game when price drops[/QUOTE]

I knew i should have got 2 of them when i had the chance... bah

[quote name='imatwork']To anyone thats playing already.. hows the d-pad working out?[/QUOTE]

Works fine. Unless I'm missing something you just use it to select items and equipment, not that big of a deal.

The Taurus Demon was a piece of cake. I'm playing a thief, and just jumped down on him and then ran around him until I got position, and took him out after a few swings. He got me good one time with that swing of his, but I used an Estus Flask and kept at him.

I just got to Undead Burg and so far it's been pretty easy. I expect that to change real quick.

[quote name='Supreme0ne']ive always wanted to try this series, but never picked up demons souls. should i just skip that and pick this one up, or just start with demons souls?[/QUOTE]

Skip it and get this one, unless you're on a really tight budget. They're not related story-wise.

I like touching the bloodstains and watching how other people die, that's pretty cool!

This game is amazing! Taurus kicked my butt! :) I am a wanderer and liking it not to easy and not to hard with my char.

I have yet to co op with someone how do you do this? All i see is nonstop ghosts all over the place and they are not co op but doing there own game only.

Also huge fail i can not install this to my hard drive only huge problem with this. And the CE is not a big deal i got one but it is all about the game not the steel tin and plastic cover over it and the artbook.

A+ game!

If anyone knows how to co op as in tag team kill things let me know. I see on the other thread for buying this nobody knows how to co op tag team yet. I had a humanity already and does not work.

[quote name='FNL 4EVA']This game is amazing! Taurus kicked my butt! :) I am a wanderer and liking it not to easy and not to hard with my char.

I have yet to co op with someone how do you do this? All i see is nonstop ghosts all over the place and they are not co op but doing there own game only.

Also huge fail i can not install this to my hard drive only huge problem with this. And the CE is not a big deal i got one but it is all about the game not the steel tin and plastic cover over it and the artbook.

A+ game!

If anyone knows how to co op as in tag team kill things let me know. I see on the other thread for buying this nobody knows how to co op tag team yet. I had a humanity already and does not work.[/QUOTE]

http://www.gamersheroes.com/how-to-play-co-op-in-dark-souls

Love the CE case back. That pick is awesome. About to start playing now. Got Rage too but going to play this first. Exited! Loved the first one.

A little tip for a very nice sword early in the game:

When you encounter the red dragon at the end of the bridge after the Taurus Demon fight if you shoot its tail with a bow and arrow several times the tail will fall off and you will get the Drake Sword which will last till about midgame. You can go down some stairs on the side of the bridge to get a clear and safe shot at the tail.

[quote name='Deadpool']I knew i should have got 2 of them when i had the chance... bah[/QUOTE]

meh... my copy didn't even come in today via Amazon and I ordered in May with release date delivery!! I complained to Amazon and they gave me $5 credit I'll take it lol... still undecided about putting it up on Ebay though, we'll see.

[quote name='LordVila']http://www.gamersheroes.com/how-to-play-co-op-in-dark-souls[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the link i found both items but nobody summons me and i get bored just idling there. I wish it was easier to get it going and not take so long.

Now if only i can beat that dang fire breathing dragon on the bridge omg! Not using a guide really makes this game insane. I have no clue what area is for my level and so on. I am level 20.

I have no arrows for my bow or crossbow.

Also is there a place to sell stuff? I found 2 places that sell stuff but does not buy stuff from you.

[quote name='seanr1221']I liked Demon's Souls but hated how little the game actually explained.

Are things still ambiguous in this one?[/QUOTE]

Pretty much. The game is amazing though!

[quote name='keithp']Pretty much. The game is amazing though![/QUOTE]

Dang, then I'm gonna wait until Christmas/the new year. Just don't have time to properly invest in a game like this right now :(

[quote name='FNL 4EVA']Thanks for the link i found both items but nobody summons me and i get bored just idling there. I wish it was easier to get it going and not take so long.

Now if only i can beat that dang fire breathing dragon on the bridge omg! Not using a guide really makes this game insane. I have no clue what area is for my level and so on. I am level 20.

I have no arrows for my bow or crossbow.

Also is there a place to sell stuff? I found 2 places that sell stuff but does not buy stuff from you.[/QUOTE]

You can't sell stuff which adds to the challenge. You don't HAVE to defeat the dragon you can go below the bridge and avoid it all together. To defeat it you will need SEVERAL arrows.

bread's done
Back