Which PS1 model is it that's so valuable?

spmahn

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
I've heard for years that there's some model of PS1 that's worth a lot of money, something about the quality of the laser used in the disc drive? I think it's the very first model which would have a date of 1995 underneath, and they're pretty hard to find since they didn't sell too many at first. I always check when I see a PS1 at the thrift stores, although I rarely see a model earlier than 1998, although I did see a 1996 once. Can anyone shed some light on this for me?

I know the very first versions that came out are semi-popular with audiophiles. I wouldn't consider them valuable though. I'm looking on ebay, and the most expensive one is $160, and it has everything that came with the consoles.

Yep, i have a launch one with the box and everything, etc.

They're not worth much, yet anyway.

Maybe in 10 years when more of them have died and there's more demand from the few hardcore audiophiles who want the CD player in the SCPH-1001.

Dev kit units and Yaroze units are worth a lot though.

Those SCH 1001 models also have the I/O port that allowed you to plug in one of those gameshark-like boxes that made it easy to play burnt games. just sayin.

[quote name='JediKiller24']Those SCH 1001 models also have the I/O port that allowed you to plug in one of those gameshark-like boxes that made it easy to play burnt games. just sayin.[/QUOTE]

Those things were awful. Loaded burnt games so slowly. Easier just to go the other route if you wanted that. :booty:

[quote name='scsg75']It's model number SCPH-1001. It has the RCA jacks on it. It's not worth as much as you think though (about $25-60 used on ebay right now)
[/QUOTE]
this ps1 model isn't really worth anything at all. when the guy who sold it off of ebay for $6,000 everyone seems to want to join in so they all listed it and thats why that particular model bacame popular. soon after that article, the price has started to go up because people think its a special ps1 - but it really isnt.

[/URL]

LOL, I keep passing up that model of PS1 at thrift stores since I have a PSone (the small white one). I knew I should have picked up one just because of the ability to use generic composite cables instead of that proprietor a/v cable.

I really know nothing about the difference, my first Playstation was the smaller PSone. So this particular model is a better version of a normal CD player, audio quality wise?

Edit: I just read that destructoid link and have to say if I can ever afford a 7.1 surround sound system, I'll pick up this PS1 and compare a CD to a PS3 connected with an optical cable.

bread's done
Back