Super Mario Galaxy 2 = $14.99; Sly Collection = $24.99 (and others) at Costco

optomechanical

CAGiversary!
Hi Guys,

I was at the Costco tonight and found a bin of assorted Wii, 360, PS3, and DS games. All of the Wii/DS games were $14.99, and the 360/PS3 games were $24.99. There was a lot of garbage, but there were a few stand outs I noticed, which were GREAT deals. I've listed what I recall below.

Wii - 14.99
Super Mario Galaxy 2
Donkey Kong Country Returns
Metroid: Other M
Kirby's Epic Yarn

PS3 - 24.99
Sly Collection
Uncharted 2

360 - 24.99
blur
Thor

Peace.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good deal on the Wii games.

Quick question, if my parents have a Costco card can I use their card at checkout or do they need to bee present when I buy something.

Ahh, If someone has a costco near them and are going to pick some of these up, could you pick up an extra Mario Galaxy 2 ill pay you plus shipping of course! I have no costco near me!

[quote name='optomechanical']Hi Guys,

Wii - 14.99
Super Mario Galaxy 2
Donkey Kong Country Returns
Metroid: Other M

Peace.[/QUOTE]

You must have meant Galaxy 1, right? That is dirt cheap.

[quote name='Sir Daniel Fortesque']Anyone knows if this is true for all costcos?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, is this a new nationwide sale/promotion? I was at Costco last week and those particular Wii games definitely were not 14.99. The 14.99 Wii games I saw were basically shovelware

Maybe I'll end up putting my foot in my mouth, but I find this very hard to believe. The few times Costco has clearance bins, it's almost always exclusively filled with third party shovelware.

In the OPs defense, this is the time of year that Costco usually puts out its holiday selection of games. In years past, it has been mostly junk and a few gems with lots of DS and Wii shovelware and a coupon that brought the games down to $10 for a few weeks in late October. This may just be a store that put their selection out early. Everyone should give it some time and see if other reports trickle in.

[quote name='skateraXVIII']Good deal on the Wii games.

Quick question, if my parents have a Costco card can I use their card at checkout or do they need to bee present when I buy something.[/QUOTE]

I don't think the cashiers really care or pay attentions. Wasps the harm in trying?

I'm at Costco right now as I write this on my phone, and turned up nada. I call BS on this. Costco isn't the type of place to have YMMV deals, or put displays out early. $14.99 for Mario Galaxy 2 would be fantastic, but just a fantasy for now.

[quote name='spmahn']I'm at Costco right now as I write this on my phone, and turned up nada. I call BS on this. Costco isn't the type of place to have YMMV deals, or put displays out early. $14.99 for Mario Galaxy 2 would be fantastic, but just a fantasy for now.[/QUOTE]

Actually, you are wrong on both accounts. Costco frequently has YMMV sales on games as manager's specials when they have a couple of copies left of older titles that didn't move. Similarly, when they had their holiday sales last year, two Costcos near me put their games out almost a month before the other local store I shop at. I shop at Costco twice a week and have been doing so for almost 15 years, so I am very familiar with how it operates. I have no idea if the titles mentioned in the OP are just manager's specials to clear old inventory or part of the holiday bins, but I would repeat my call for people to wait and see how this turns out over the next few weeks instead of calling BS on an OP that appears to be trying to share a deal.

My Costco is in anchorage, ak. It was indeed super mario galaxy 2.

I picked up smg2 and dkcr. I haven't even opened them yet, so if anyone really needs to see pics with the 14.99 still in the gray plastic guards I can throw them up on imgur when I get off work.

opto

I really want to know if this is true, if it is, I might have to flip SMG2 at Amazon and get a pre-order on the Kindle Fire.....

[quote name='The Holy Pretzle']I should be able to call and get an answer right?? The nearest one is a little far, and I don't want to go for nothing.[/QUOTE]
You can try, but most stores won't give prices over the phone. I suppose it's worth a shot, though.

I didn't see SMG2 or DKCR, but I did see Other M and Kirby Epic Yarn for $15. Kirby had a generic UPC sticker over its barcode and said "Great Value" under the price so it would be hard to locate specifically. But I also saw Blur and Sly Collection at the OP's prices.

[quote name='optomechanical']My Costco is in anchorage, ak. It was indeed super mario galaxy 2.

I picked up smg2 and dkcr. I haven't even opened them yet, so if anyone really needs to see pics with the 14.99 still in the gray plastic guards I can throw them up on imgur when I get off work.

opto[/QUOTE]

I'll be back in Anchorage on Saturday, which Costco did you go to?

[quote name='kulaguy']I didn't see SMG2 or DKCR, but I did see Other M and Kirby Epic Yarn for $15. Kirby had a generic UPC sticker over its barcode and said "Great Value" under the price so it would be hard to locate specifically. But I also saw Blur and Sly Collection at the OP's prices.[/QUOTE]

Sounds identical to how the holiday value games were restickered last year. Pretty amazing that Nintendo is actually allowing first party games to be sold at such a steep discount by Costco.

That does sound enticing. Does Costco offer some sort of one day pass? There is one near my Walmart, so i might check this out but have no membership.

[quote name='kulaguy']I didn't see SMG2 or DKCR, but I did see Other M and Kirby Epic Yarn for $15. Kirby had a generic UPC sticker over its barcode and said "Great Value" under the price so it would be hard to locate specifically. But I also saw Blur and Sly Collection at the OP's prices.[/QUOTE]

Same for me, I also saw Captain America for ps3 and 360 for $24.99

@natboy - Debarr & Boniface

Kirby's Epic Yarn was there too, now that it was mentioned. The only DS game I remember was Rune Factory.

Both have a generic price tag sticker on top of another sticker that says "GREAT ..." something.

My store must have done this with KEY. They had probably 100 copies in there as late as last month, but were still labelled 43.XX or something like that. Last week they were all gone.

[quote name='JP73']That does sound enticing. Does Costco offer some sort of one day pass? There is one near my Walmart, so i might check this out but have no membership.[/QUOTE]

Don't know about buying a day pass, but most costco's have to let everyone buy booze there, as well as most needing to let everyone use their pharmacy, so you could at least get in the door to see if you wanted to mess with a day pass by saying you need booze/drugs.

[quote name='DerClaw']Don't know about buying a day pass, but most costco's have to let everyone buy booze there, as well as most needing to let everyone use their pharmacy, so you could at least get in the door to see if you wanted to mess with a day pass by saying you need booze/drugs.[/QUOTE]

Never heard of that, but even if you get in the door they're not going to sell you a game without a paid membership. And to my knowledge they do not offer any "1 day passes" or anything like that.

[quote name='DerClaw']My store must have done this with KEY. They had probably 100 copies in there as late as last month, but were still labelled 43.XX or something like that. Last week they were all gone.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I went again yesterday, and all the games mentioned in the OP that I saw previously were gone (before they had a ton of copies of Donkey Kong, Super Mario Galaxy 2, and Kirby's Epic Yarn)

[quote name='bojay1997']Sounds identical to how the holiday value games were restickered last year. Pretty amazing that Nintendo is actually allowing first party games to be sold at such a steep discount by Costco.[/QUOTE]

If there's a generic barcode sticker over the real barcode (which is mentioned by another poster and typical for Best Buy and other such stores' discount bins run by other companies insider their stores), then that means Nintendo won't find out unless they're scouring websites. It also could mean that this is a price mistake with someone sticking stickers on the wrong games.

[quote name='soonersfan60']If there's a generic barcode sticker over the real barcode (which is mentioned by another poster and typical for Best Buy and other such stores' discount bins run by other companies insider their stores), then that means Nintendo won't find out unless they're scouring websites. It also could mean that this is a price mistake with someone sticking stickers on the wrong games.[/QUOTE]

Except most Costco locations haven't had many of these games in stock previously or have been out of stock for a while. This is obviously the holiday restock and I doubt a distributor would take that large of a bath on Nintendo games without getting permission and credit for the loss.

Nintendo can't set minimum prices. Manufacturers, distributors, and retailers can't collude to set prices. That is vertical price fixing in violation of the Sherman Antitrust Act.

[quote name='illennium']Nintendo can't set minimum prices. Manufacturers, distributors, and retailers can't collude to set prices. That is vertical price fixing in violation of the Sherman Antitrust Act.[/QUOTE]

Wow, you sure are naive. While they can't force retailers or distributors to do anything, they do have power to grant unsold inventory credits and advertising/marketing dollars which retailers and distributors depend on. So while Nintendo can't force anyone to do anything, they do have tools they can employ to strongly encourage them not to drop prices. Having said that, I suspect Nintendo is well aware of this dumping to Costco as they move a lot of Nintendo product and several 3DS and Wii first party games have received manufacturer's rebates at Costco (i.e. paid for by Nintendo) in the recent past.

[quote name='DerClaw']Don't know about buying a day pass, but most costco's have to let everyone buy booze there, as well as most needing to let everyone use their pharmacy, so you could at least get in the door to see if you wanted to mess with a day pass by saying you need booze/drugs.[/QUOTE]

Costco sells liquor? That's a new one on me, never seen that at the stores here. Maybe it's a west coast thing?

[quote name='spmahn']Costco sells liquor? That's a new one on me, never seen that at the stores here. Maybe it's a west coast thing?[/QUOTE]

Just picked up 2 bottles of 1.75ml Grey Goose and Hennessy for Vegas :)

[quote name='spmahn']Costco sells liquor? That's a new one on me, never seen that at the stores here. Maybe it's a west coast thing?[/QUOTE]

Maybe you live in a state where only certain state stores can sell liquor?

bread's done
Back