Kindle Fire 7" Tablet Now Shipping $199 - New Kindles From $79 - Reviews are out

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
Yes, it plays games. Comes with a free month of Amazon Prime.

iconamazon.gif
Kindle Fire $199

New Kindles:
iconamazon.gif
Kindle w/special offers $79 - $109 without - ships now
iconamazon.gif
Kindle Touch w/special offers $99 - $139 without - ships 11/21
iconamazon.gif
Kindle Touch 3G w/special offers $149 - $189 without - ships 11/21

Reviews:
http://www.theverge.com/2011/11/14/2560084/kindle-fire-review
http://www.engadget.com/2011/11/14/amazon-kindle-fire-review/
http://gizmodo.com/5858779/kindle-fire-review-the-ipad-finally-has-serious-competition

Last edited by a moderator:
I was just listening to the news about this. lol. Then google it earlier. This would look good with Amazon Prime with it's video streams.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just looked at the video and it looks pretty freaking nice, and the price seems good too. Anyone knows how's the amazon app marketplace? Also the video didn't explain if there's a way to import mp3 files (other than the stuff you purchased at Amazon) to the tablet.

[quote name='AwRy108']You should ad that it comes with a free year of Amazon Prime, too--that's a $79 value![/QUOTE]

I thought it was 30 days?

[quote name='TheBomb69']7" screen is holding me back... barely.[/QUOTE]

Don't let it, the 7" form factor is great. I have a rooted Nook Color and love it.

[quote name='AwRy108']You should ad that it comes with a free year of Amazon Prime, too--that's a $79 value![/QUOTE]

According to the page it says you get 30 days of Prime for free. A free year would be insane. :)

[quote name='Vader582']I wonder if Apple will have a response to this? Probably not... :whistle2:k[/QUOTE]

Yes it's called the iPad... Yes it is more expensive but trumps all pads IMHO

The Fire looks cool though!

FYI, it has 8 GB of internal storage. Not going to store too many games, especially not if you also want to store books, music, etc. Price is certainly right, though. They are going to get sales.

Not that it has anything to do with playing games, but the Kindle Touch for $99 is "with special offers". It costs $139 to get one without special offers. I was bummed about that. Thought I was going to get my first Kindle now that it had hit below $100, and is smaller, but I really don't want ads. Guess I'm waiting for the next revision.

[quote name='blindinglights']Don't let it, the 7" form factor is great. I have a rooted Nook Color and love it.[/QUOTE]

^This. 7 inches is a REALLY nice form factor. I love my Nook Color with Gingerbread as well. I can't wait to see what the development community does with the Kindle Fire.

[quote name='crunchewy']FYI, it has 8 GB of internal storage. Not going to store too many games, especially not if you also want to store books, music, etc. Price is certainly right, though. They are going to get sales.[/QUOTE]
Unlimited cloud storage for books, movies, music and app.

Already ordered one. It sucks that it's only a month of Prime, but I was expecting $250 for the Fire. For $200 plus a free month I'm definitely in for one. And maybe a couple. Will make a good Xmas present I think.

[quote name='Sir Daniel Fortesque'] Anyone knows how's the amazon app marketplace?.[/QUOTE]

based on my limited experience I would say it is serviceable.

The 'Free App a day' is definitely the best part. A lot of crap comes up but every once in a while. You get a gem.

IMO, it is missing some apps you expect to be there. 1/2 the time I try to find something it's not there. (maybe this is an android thing)

[quote name='CheapyD']Unlimited cloud storage for books, movies, music and app.[/QUOTE]

I didn't realize it also stored apps. That works if you have WiFi access, which may well work out OK.

Would be a lot better if it had 3G. I'm sure they'll add such a model later on.

[quote name='crunchewy']FYI, it has 8 GB of internal storage. Not going to store too many games, especially not if you also want to store books, music, etc. Price is certainly right, though. They are going to get sales.

Not that it has anything to do with playing games, but the Kindle Touch for $99 is "with special offers". It costs $139 to get one without special offers. I was bummed about that. Thought I was going to get my first Kindle now that it had hit below $100, and is smaller, but I really don't want ads. Guess I'm waiting for the next revision.[/QUOTE]

Dude don't let it hold you back! The ads are just screen savers, plus you get special offers. I've used all but three special offers sent my way. They've ranged from 25% off snacks (didn't use) to $25 off school books. I bought it when it was $114 for $99 it's a bargain.

I'm amazed there aren't comments about the thickness of this thing. It's .45 inches thick! That's nearly half an inch. This thing is a brick.

I pad 2 is only .34.

[quote name='daminion']I'm amazed there aren't comments about the thickness of this thing. It's .45 inches thick! That's nearly half an inch. This thing is a brick.

I pad 2 is only .34.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, look at that brick!

KO-slate-04-lg._V166984295_.jpg

[quote name='crunchewy']
Not that it has anything to do with playing games, but the Kindle Touch for $99 is "with special offers". It costs $139 to get one without special offers. I was bummed about that. Thought I was going to get my first Kindle now that it had hit below $100, and is smaller, but I really don't want ads. Guess I'm waiting for the next revision.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, not really feeling the ads. Hell of a device and price point though.

Take a look at your ruler and see what 1/2 an inch looks like. Or better yet, go here and you can see for yourself: http://iruler.net/

At least it's lighter than the ipad 2, but it's still thick.

Note: I pre-ordered one anyway, but not sure I'll keep it.

Time to sell off your Touchpads ;)

I would be all over this if it had an SD Card and at least 3g...so im probably a couple years from a purchase lol. Amazon Cloud kinda makes up for it. My problem with cloud is that the streaming isn't too smooth last time i tried it out. It should improve over time however.

This is definitely going to be the new "hp touchpad" lol. I'm excited for this to come out, even though I'm not getting one, just to see how it affects the tablet world. I expect that if this does well enough, we will start seeing a LOT more budget pads from the bigger companies. iPad Mini with a 7" screen anyone?

[quote name='Ardrid']Yeah, not really feeling the ads. Hell of a device and price point though.[/QUOTE]

Nice edit there. The Kindle Touch $99 is indeed ad supported

From what I've seen at the thread at SD they provide a lot of great offers now and then so I think it's definitely worth getting that model over the any other Kindle right now.

Preliminary specs are here...

http://gadgetian.com/24836/amazon-kndle-fire-specs-price/
The Amazon Kindle Fire is an Android-based tablet from the online giant retailer, which is having all the mid-range specifications. It looks a lot like a BlackBerry PlayBook.

Most of the technical specifications of the Amazon Kindle Fire tablet are still mysterious to the tech world. Kindle Fire sports a 7" IPS-LCD backlit display with 1024 X 600 pixels of resolution with Gorilla Glass coating, Amazon’s own eye-candy overlay on top of Android, powered by a dual-core TI OMAP4 processor, 8GB of internal memory storage, 3.5 mm stereo audio jack, top-mounted stereo speakers, access to the Amazon’s own App Store, Kindle books, full-color magazines, etc. — all stored for free via Amazon Cloud Storage, access for 100,000 movies and TV shows, 17 million songs, Android Market and much more. Amazon is also throwing a 30-day trial of Amazon Prime. Whispersync works with movies and TV Shows. Kindle Fire is also bringing an incredible computational horsepower of Amazon EC2 to accelerate mobile browsing with the help of “Amazon Silk” browser.

Sadly, Amazon kindle Fire is lacking camera and 3G connectivity.

Read more: http://gadgetian.com/24836/amazon-kndle-fire-specs-price/#ixzz1ZGKmPdRK

I can see this having a BF sale price a couple weeks after it's release...

If I hadn't bought a Dell Streak a couple months ago, I'd probably jump all over this too.

[quote name='CheapyD']$79 Kindle w/special offers, $109 without
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0051QVESA

$99 Kindle Touch w/special offers, $139 without
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005890G8Y

$149 Kindle Touch 3G w/special offers, $189 without
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005890G8O[/QUOTE]
Honestly, if I were going to buy a E-Ink Kindle (I have a nook) I would 100% get one with special offers. Some offers I've heard of are $10 for a $20 amazon gift card. The "Special Offers" only appear when you're not using the device (on the screen saver) and not during use.

As a CAG, there's no reason to pay $40 more for a device that is only excluding you from deals like that :)

Ordered the Fire and the new non-touch Kindle which ships now. I would have gotten the special offers one, but those won't ship to Japan.

[quote name='psyphris']Honestly, if I were going to buy a E-Ink Kindle (I have a nook) I would 100% get one with special offers. Some offers I've heard of are $10 for a $20 amazon gift card. The "Special Offers" only appear when you're not using the device (on the screen saver) and not during use.

As a CAG, there's no reason to pay $40 more for a device that is only excluding you from deals like that :)[/QUOTE]

Exactly! You'd be crazy not to buy the special offers version. They don't interfere whatsoever with the experience of reading books and they're actually good offers from time to time

bread's done
Back