Potentially Hacked Super Mario All Stars?

SolidJake

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Hey guys I was just curious about a problem (I guess you could call it that) I am having with my Super Mario All Stars game. I picked it up from a shop the other day and when I put it into my SNES everything loaded up fine, however, when I started playing Mario 3 I could fly all around the levels, change suits whenever I wanted, and just become invincible. Has this happened to anyone else out there? I wasn't even aware there was a way to hack a SNES cart. Feedback would be appreciated!

Cool video bro.

As to the actual question, it could be a bootleg. Look into that.

Yeah, it's much more likely a bootleg with a hacked ROM than some sort of modified version. Compare the cart and especially the label to a genuine cart.

Record a video of you starting up the TV and SNES then play the game. Upload it to youtube and become famous!

...Huh. That's different. But the cartridge did look legit. If it were me, I'd probably slip it into a friend's collection and wait for them to find it.

I remember seeing a website once where you could send in any SNES cartridge and the company would put any ROM of your choosing onto the cart and it could be played in a SNES system.

It's possible that someone ordered a custom one with hacks made in a legit All Stars case and you just happened to buy it after it got sold to a shop.

Edit: http://www.gamereproductions.com/

That's an awesome link blindinglights. I didn't know people did that. Although it would seem like if someone was going to go through the trouble of sending it in they would want more changes than just being able to fly. All the games on that site are like, complete overhauls.

Could also be: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/DebugRoom

A few cartridges of Super Mario All-Stars left the factory with a debug mode intact. Pressing select in a game of Super Mario Bros 3 in these carts allows you to cycle through all of the plumber's various forms at will. Press Y and select for the Kuribo's Shoe, though it's usually just a jumble of pixels.
  • The original Super Mario Bros 3 had a debug mode in the form of the Game Genie Code KKKZSPIU, which has the power cycle and Kuribo's Shoe effect described above, as well as granting you one of every item and a level warp ability. In addition, the power cycle could be twisted into the ultimate Game Breaker by turning into a statue as Tanooki Mario, and cycling before the statue time limit ran out, giving you permanent statue status in any form OTHER THAN Tanooki.

[quote name='pjarvi']Could also be: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/DebugRoom[/QUOTE]
My game has this debug mode as well. I think you had to beat the game once to access it. I didn't know a hammer bros. costume existed until I found this.

When buying my SNES, there was a mail-in offer for Mario All-Stars for free.

My favorite is the shoe. It makes the game feel very different with the way it bounces around.

Hmm...might have to dig up my old copy of Super Mario All Stars, maybe mine will have the debug mode. If not, might try that game genie code. I so would love to finally beat these games after all these years, even if it means having to cheat a little.

bread's done
Back