Walmart Now Accepting Trade-ins. Games, electronics, etc

Don't hate on this, guys. Any entry into the competition is bound to help CAGs, if only in the slightest. Gamestop will have to respond to Walmart if they become big, and that response will either constitute higher trade-in values or lower used game prices.

wow this thing doesnt even have some of the most recent games, this is destined to fail horribly and most of the trade in values are shit anyway

[quote name='UnrealZero']OH the excitement. Just what we need. More places to trade games in so devs can Q.Q more.[/QUOTE]

Yeah! Screw those guys for trying to make a living!

[quote name='UnrealZero']OH the excitement. Just what we need. More places to trade games in so devs can Q.Q more.[/QUOTE]

You would QQ too if your job depended on people buying your games NEW.

The used games industry hurts the gaming industry as a whole, but is great for gamers. Bigger developers don't feel the pain nearly as much as the smaller devs.

Yeah! Screw those guys for voicing their opinions.

[quote name='Click']You would QQ too if your job depended on people buying your games NEW.

The used games industry hurts the gaming industry as a whole, but is great for gamers. Bigger developers don't feel the pain nearly as much as the smaller devs.[/QUOTE]

Wrong.

Used games help and continue people playing games when they aren't buying new ones.

Glad they let you ship them because standing in line behind large women arguing about why they can't buy cigarettes with their food stamps to trade in games doesn't appeal to me ;)

I guess more competition can't be bad, I just don't think places with half-hearted used game sales like Microcenter and Toys R Us really have any impact on GameStop.

[quote name='Click']You would QQ too if your job depended on people buying your games NEW.

The used games industry hurts the gaming industry as a whole, but is great for gamers. Bigger developers don't feel the pain nearly as much as the smaller devs.[/QUOTE]

$60 is way overpriced for the majority of releases. They priced themselves into the creation of secondary market.

This is not really 100% true. In fact I would argue used games help many developers sell new games. Especially in the cases of sequels. I did not buy Gears of War 1 or 2 new but I loved them so much I had to buy GOW3 day 1. If I never had the chance to buy the first 2 cheap I may have never even thought of buying the third new. Same goes for games like Saints Row...I am sure many people picked up the earlier games used and now are ready to buy the third one new on day one. Used games have their place in the industry. It is when people buy a game used for $54.99 just to save $5 that hurts the industry. I would also argue some games should not be $60 new from the get go and thus used sales thrive for those games. Deus Ex is a perfect example of how reducing the price can drive new sales while keeping used sales at bay. I am sure they sold more copies new with their strategy than keeping a high price for too long forcing people to buy used.

And used games help the industry by opening people up to new games. I bought Portal 2 new as a result of enjoying Portal used. I wouldnt have bought either new if I wasnt able to sample it for cheaper.

[quote name='V3rtigo']And used games help the industry by opening people up to new games.[/QUOTE]Isn't that the whole point of game demos?

This is definitely interesting. Let's see if Walmart gets more competitive in the future. Of course values will suck right now, they're new to the game.

[quote name='kouleefoh']This is definitely interesting. Let's see if Walmart gets more competitive in the future. Of course values will suck right now, they're new to the game.[/QUOTE]
They are not new it is gazelle trading for walmart and they have been doing it for a long time

Just like every other recyclable consumer product ever made. Guys big time game devs don't have the iron heart to withstand this horrible condition like film makers, authors, clothing companies, etc.

Well it uses Gazelle and while the TIV suck, Gazelle will recycle old electronics you don't need anymore so even if you can't get any value off your products, you can at least recycle them.

[quote name='CheapyD']Are there prices any different than standard Gazelle?[/QUOTE]

I only checked madden 11... it's exactly the same a crappy 4.91

Right just like used cars, used books, and anything else used you can pick up at a pawn shop/goodwill etc. Dev's can lick me. If they want me to buy new ensure its something I desperately want. Many games aren't worth the 60 buck price tag.

Well this is news to me, I've never even heard of this company (Gazelle?) you guys are saying is attached to wal-mart.

Their prices do seem to be laughable though, i took a sample of about 20 games I've been looking to trade/sell and they seem to be on the low end on pretty much all of them. Even compared to Amazon/Best Buy - maybe a couple of games BARELY beat the others already too low prices - but some were as much as 50% worse. It seems like the only games they actually beat the competition is where Amazon overshot their pricing on the downside (i.e. Amazon just drastically cut Killzone 3 from $24 to $10, and this place has it $12.12). Big whoop, at that price I'll either go to ebay or just keep the game myself. I should have locked in that trade at Amazon instead of trying to get my last fill out of it first, it might never hit that amount on a trade-in site again :(

I guess it doesn't hurt to keep an eye on Wal-Mart as an option , but if that's the way they are going to be then I probably won't keep going back to even check up on them(unless they have some advertised promo or something)

Back in the day when a mom and pop store opened up and got into the used game business it was glorious. For the first few month it was open house on trade in values. A made a few killings back then. I miss those days.

Wow with deals like these, it would make me want to approach someone trading in and offer them just a little more....have any of you done something like that, you know see someone trading in a game at Gamestop and offer them a better deal?

Gazelle sucks, so this will inevitably suck.

Even if walmart had a good tradein program their prices are so bad it would still be a bad deal 99% of the time. :cry:

Also I'm loving the tears about the poor devs who are just struggling to get by because of used game sales. Second hand sales are handled just fine by every other industry (and games for the last 30 years).

[quote name='nadohawk']Wow with deals like these, it would make me want to approach someone trading in and offer them just a little more....have any of you done something like that, you know see someone trading in a game at Gamestop and offer them a better deal?[/QUOTE]

Ha a guy at bb saw me with a stack of games and tried this on me. I was like, sure, bb is offering 30 bucks for this, 25 for this... He was like, uh, no thanks lol. Not to get way off topic, but the topic sucks anyways.

[quote name='ijustw1n']$60 is way overpriced for the majority of releases. They priced themselves into the creation of secondary market.[/QUOTE]

Qft...there are maybe 2 games a year that im willing to pay 60 for. Games are getting shorter and i dont give a shit about multiplayer. fuck $60 plus tax. If thats what they "have" to charge to make money they need to figure out a way of cutting developing costs dramatically without compromising quality. Seriously people who pay full price for games are just suckers.

Nintendo Wii, good condition, AC/Cables/Controllers/original box = yes

We'll pay you $8.

Too bad mine's not in perfect condition, that's $12

[quote name='sciafb']Wrong.

Used games help and continue people playing games when they aren't buying new ones.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='hagaf22']Right just like used cars, used books, and anything else used you can pick up at a pawn shop/goodwill etc. Dev's can lick me. If they want me to buy new ensure its something I desperately want. Many games aren't worth the 60 buck price tag.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='ijustw1n']$60 is way overpriced for the majority of releases. They priced themselves into the creation of secondary market.[/QUOTE]

LOL, so many of you nubs have no friggin' clue WTF you're talking about.

The developers don't set the prices. The PUBLISHERS do. MOST publishers don't give a crap about (non-first party) developers. They try to keep their games at as high of a price for as long as possible, even if it screws the developers. Developers usually have no say whatsoever about the price point of their games. They are at the mercy of the publishers that funds the development of their games. It's a similar situation with musicians and record labels...

Oh, and in case some of you are too young or too dumb to remember, it was Microsoft that started the whole $60 for new games trend. Before Xbox 360 (games) came out, all brand new video games were $40 - $50. You want to blame the high prices of new games on someone? Blame M$ and greedy publishers, NOT the developers.

I agree a large majority of games aren't worth $60. However, the cost of producing games these days have skyrocketed, especially AAA titles. The gaming industry is screwed up... with the used games market (us included) being part of the problem. I personally try my best to not buy used games, even if I have to wait months after the release to purchase a game new at a dropped price point. But sometimes it's unavoidable and I resort to buying used games from Gamefly because I'm not rich. At least Gamefly bought the games new and already gave money to the publishers / developers.

[quote name='cancerman1120']This is not really 100% true. In fact I would argue used games help many developers sell new games. Especially in the cases of sequels. I did not buy Gears of War 1 or 2 new but I loved them so much I had to buy GOW3 day 1. If I never had the chance to buy the first 2 cheap I may have never even thought of buying the third new. Same goes for games like Saints Row...I am sure many people picked up the earlier games used and now are ready to buy the third one new on day one. Used games have their place in the industry. It is when people buy a game used for $54.99 just to save $5 that hurts the industry. I would also argue some games should not be $60 new from the get go and thus used sales thrive for those games. Deus Ex is a perfect example of how reducing the price can drive new sales while keeping used sales at bay. I am sure they sold more copies new with their strategy than keeping a high price for too long forcing people to buy used.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='V3rtigo']And used games help the industry by opening people up to new games. I bought Portal 2 new as a result of enjoying Portal used. I wouldnt have bought either new if I wasnt able to sample it for cheaper.[/QUOTE]

This is the only valid, positive (for developers, at least) argument for used games. But again, the developers and publishers get no cut of the profit of used game purchases. Only the middlemen (Gamestop/EB, Best Buy, Amazon, now Walmart, etc.) get any of the profit in used game sales. Of course flippers do too. Point is, the money doesn't go back to the publishers, who finance the developers so they can make more / better games.

360a.png

Thanks OP, in for 10! I'll almost be able to afford a 3DS with that kind of dough!

:roll:

[quote name='Unickuta']Don't hate on this, guys. Any entry into the competition is bound to help CAGs, if only in the slightest. Gamestop will have to respond to Walmart if they become big, and that response will either constitute higher trade-in values or lower used game prices.[/QUOTE]
This man 'get's it'!

I think they will be successful. The people trading them in won't mind getting $16 for the Xbox when they need the money for crack or new sneakers. The system and games might even be stolen to begin with so it's all pure profit for them. At least that applies to Wal-Marts areound here I'm sure there are many in better neighborhoods in the rest of the country.

Besides, I though Wal-Mart offered better trade in values on new games without receipts anyways? I kid, I kid.

They are not a bad second option. After Best Buy dropped the vale on Move Heroes I traded them to Gazelle $16.09

I wasn't sure if this was new or not, but I did see a bin of used games at a local Walmart. The bin said everything inside it was $8, but over a third of it was Sneak King; so I am guessing one person profited nicely by just buying it used for $1 as GS and then trading it in to WM. There was also nothing worth the $8 in the bin, either.

They are new to the trade in game. Look how much better bestbuy got (they are beginning to become my new favorite trade in spot. Sorry amazon but those trade in promotions are a draw for customers). Let's just hope walmart doesn't follow gamestops used game strategy as gamestop is unfortunatly the most popular place to do trade ins at.

[quote name='Lightning War']+ needing original artwork/case for full value[/QUOTE]

To be fair, it should ALWAYS be like that. Do you know how many fuckwads rip off retailers by only stealing the discs, then trading them in to places like FYE and MovieStop? This is one way to help prevent stolen merch from being traded in for free cash.

Well i am happy for this as I have a extra xbox 360 that I am doing nothing with that works perfectly that i will trade in there instead of waiting on craiglist and ebay.

[quote name='cardsharkrob']Well i am happy for this as I have a extra xbox 360 that I am doing nothing with that works perfectly that i will trade in there instead of waiting on craiglist and ebay.[/QUOTE]

Before you sell your xbox to gazelle for $10, check out CashForGamers.com first (they blow gazelle out of the water with most prices).

60 GB Xbox 360 Pro Console w/ Normal Wear and Tear:

Gazelle pays $25
CFG pays $63

Link: http://www.cashforgamers.com/Xbox-Console/

If you don't want to use them, I highly recommend you selling your xbox on here or gametz because trust me, you can get more than $10 for it!

Well shit, sorry guys. Walmart put out a release stating it was new. I certainly had never heard of them doing trade ins so I thought CAG might like to know too.

And since it is new I figured trade in values and such would not be on point yet. I'm glad at least someone got something out of this thread. So much negativity though. :'(

bread's done
Back