Mass Effect 2 (PC-DL) $9.99 at EA Origin

Great deal.

I'd be interested in hearing other CAG's take on EA's Origin digital distribution software. Particularly with all the fervor surrounding BF3 requiring it.

Is it REALLY as bad as all the ranting would suggest?

I really pay the Origin downloader no mind, but hey I've had Steam for quite a long time and also have Comrade, Impulse, Capsule, GoG downloader, Amazon downloader, GFWL, and quite a few others installed too.

Actually the worst one to nitpick on is Comrade (direct2drive). It sees games from others and automatically downloads patches for them (but doesn't install them automatically thank goodness) Only problem is it is reading the versions wrong and is downloading patches for version for which the games have already been patched for, sometimes two or three versions behind.

Last game I installed via Origin was Darkspore and it went smooth and is working well, at least thats what the wife tells me.

[quote name='Frontrange']Great deal.

I'd be interested in hearing other CAG's take on EA's Origin digital distribution software. Particularly with all the fervor surrounding BF3 requiring it.

Is it REALLY as bad as all the ranting would suggest?[/QUOTE]

People are just hating on EA for leaving Steam and trying to make it on their own. It's not that bad.

I personally love Steam and would like to use it exclusively, but that's no longer possible. EA has some great games that I don't plan on letting this whole dispute stop me from playing, so I'm just fine with using their client for their games, not a big deal for me.

Sure I'm pissed, but we all just need to get over it because Origin isn't going anywhere. Just suck it up and enjoy playing some great games, period.

EDIT: I, too, have/have dealt with all of the clients that loomis1975 listed, and can agree with Comrade being the worst for the reason he listed. Deleted/uninstalled it the same day.

[quote name='atreyuevr']People are just hating on EA for leaving Steam and trying to make it on their own. It's not that bad.

I personally love Steam and would like to use it exclusively, but that's no longer possible. EA has some great games that I don't plan on letting this whole dispute stop me from playing, so I'm just fine with using their client for their games, not a big deal for me.

Sure I'm pissed, but we all just need to get over it because Origin isn't going anywhere. Just suck it up and enjoy playing some great games, period.[/QUOTE]

It's true. People need to stop being so self-entitled.
Scumbag PC gamer complains about monopolization on other things while they praise Steam as it dominates the digital distribution single handed.

The way I see it, Origin will foster competition as it grows. Competition = good for us.

[quote name='kyrhon']It's true. People need to stop being so self-entitled.
Scumbag PC gamer complains about monopolization on other things while they praise Steam as it dominates the digital distribution single handed.

The way I see it, Origin will foster competition as it grows. Competition = good for us.[/QUOTE]
PC gamers seem to be the most immature kinda gamers out there, when things don't work out there way they just complain and throw a fit, you know i get the feeling that developers dump pc gamers because they are just too damn hard to please, you guys want so much but yet u give back so little, and no, modding isnt something you give to developers it's something they allow you to do, you should probably count your blessings

[quote name='exaznkid']you guys want so much but yet u give back so little, and no, modding isnt something you give to developers it's something they allow you to do, you should probably count your blessings[/QUOTE]

I don't mean to go off topic, but that bit really rubs me wrong. Modding is, in fact, a benefit to developers. To the point that some games create a following based in good part on the promise of community support. If you haven't seen that, then I wonder how closely you followed PC gaming over the last few decades.

Yes, PC gamers can be demanding and whiny. Gamers, in general, can be that way. But don't dismiss the power of SDKs, community-made patches, and other types of fan support.

[quote name='hal']I don't mean to go off topic, but that bit really rubs me wrong. Modding is, in fact, a benefit to developers. To the point that some games create a following based in good part on the promise of community support. If you haven't seen that, then I wonder how closely you followed PC gaming over the last few decades.

Yes, PC gamers can be demanding and whiny. Gamers, in general, can be that way. But don't dismiss the power of SDKs, community-made patches, and other types of fan support.[/QUOTE]
Well while we're derailed from the topic, I am not dismissing community mods, I do appreciate them, but modding is a privilege, many games have done well without implementing the option for modding, and modding is a two way street, the consumers get extra content provided by fans for free and developers can use these community mods as references for their sequels and it prolongs the lifespan of the game but modding decreases the value of dlc made by the developer, nobody will really buy a map pack if free maps are available and it spoils those that take advantage of mods, the developers who make the DLC will have to compete with the community in order to sell their DLC, games like Fallout and Elder Scrolls can probably capitalize more on DLC if they restrict mods but thankfully they allow mods which i'm grateful for but it seems a lot of other pc gamers feel that they are obligated to these tools, and the reality is that you are not. Developers will choose how to release their game and what you are able to do with it, this is not because they want to be assholes but, like everyone else. they want to make money and keep their jobs

Maybe one day the PC DLC will go on sale. Until then I won't buy this game. Not spending $10 for the game, then another 30+ for the DLC. That said, if you're unconcerned about the DLC situation it's a fun game.

DLC is what I've been waiting for, for the half a year or more that I've owned ME2. Not starting until I have the complete game.

bread's done
Back