Dead Rising 2: Off the Record $34.99 @ Amazon

I love the series...but I'm definitely waiting on this one. I've got enough to play, and, I'm somewhat annoyed by the pseudo double-dip.

I do not recommend unless you really, really, REALLY want a reason to replay DR2, because this is what you'd be doing.

I also do not think this edition is a good starting point for those new to DR2 either.

Also, the BB coupon I think brings it down to $30, but if you don't have a subscription, it's a wash at $5 an issue.

im supposed to get this asap to play co op with admiral vic. i think ill get it tomorrow with the 10 off @gamer coupon and then can i pm if they have a sale within 30 days still?

Amazon is likely price matching Newegg, which I saw had this for 34.99 this afternoon. I picked it up for $25 from Best Buy with the 10 off coupon and a $5 off Z coupon. The sandbox mode is awesome fun. The more zombies you kill the more challenges open up. I only rented DR2 a long time ago, so I can't even remember what little I played of it. I can say that this is well worth $25-$30 for the sandbox mode alone.

[quote name='Velo214']im supposed to get this asap to play co op with admiral vic. i think ill get it tomorrow with the 10 off @gamer coupon and then can i pm if they have a sale within 30 days still?[/QUOTE]You don't wanna price match you want to return/rebuy which means you may need another coupon unless your store is nice. Look out for a $30 sale price to make the game $20 after the coupon this will be the most likely scenario.

[quote name='Rig']I love the series...but I'm definitely waiting on this one. I've got enough to play, and, I'm somewhat annoyed by the pseudo double-dip.[/QUOTE]
This.

This game should be on XBLA for $10-20 like the GTA DLC, this has 0 business being a $40 retail game, that being said i will wait for the inevitable black friday $9.99-14.99 price tag, or after x-mas sale, i doubt this is going to be a hot seller and will drop in price sooner then later, don't get me wrong i am a huge dead rising fan but the only real difference in this and 2 is the sandbox mode, which should of been in the 2nd.

[quote name='styl3s']This.

This game should be on XBLA for $10-20 like the GTA DLC, this has 0 business being a $40 retail game, that being said i will wait for the inevitable black friday $9.99-14.99 price tag, or after x-mas sale, i doubt this is going to be a hot seller and will drop in price sooner then later, don't get me wrong i am a huge dead rising fan but the only real difference in this and 2 is the sandbox mode, which should of been in the 2nd.[/QUOTE]

Well it's way too big to be an XBLA DL. The game is 29.99 if you just use the Best Buy coupon. It's worth that to me at least. I think there are just a lot of bitter DR2 owners, which I can kind of understand. In that case, just don't buy it and forget it, or wait for a price drop. Just don't cry and whine like babies. This stuff happens.

[quote name='MIX_MASTER_ICE']Well it's way too big to be an XBLA DL. The game is 29.99 if you just use the Best Buy coupon. It's worth that to me at least. I think there are just a lot of bitter DR2 owners, which I can kind of understand. In that case, just don't buy it and forget it, or wait for a price drop. Just don't cry and whine like babies. This stuff happens.[/QUOTE]
Thanks for saying it so I didnt have to. I loved DR2 and will get this one as well, but not until a price drop. But that doesnt mean I want to go whine and cry. "How dare capcom try and make us spend more money than we want, waahh". If someone doesnt know what a game is about and they buy it anyway, that is their fault. Most of us are smart enough to realize this like every other game will drop in price, so if you played DR2, you can wait to play this spin off.

EDIT: wait I said it anyways, woops. Now I am the one crying and whining. HA.

If you like the story then you'll love this and the Sandbox mode is a ton of fun, but as it is right now the game is a broken mess. Seriously, some of the glitches that happen are just fucking ridiculous. I know they released an update yesterday, but I'm not sure of what it fixed yet, so I'd recommend this as a buy at $20 with the glitches.

Also, the game feels like it's missing part of it's charm, I think it may be because Capcom Vancouver (formerly Blue Castle Games) actually made the game this time instead of Japan doing everything and Blue Castle just putting on finishing touches. It just feels more like a Western game.

While I hated the idea of Frank not originally being in the 2nd one, I just finished DR2 in prep for this game and I am sold on Chuck as a cool character. At first he was just this self-pitying, no emotions character but at the end I felt he was a real hero. They didn't use Katey enough though.

Still I picked this game up yesterday at BB, excited to see Frank back in the game.

[quote name='MIX_MASTER_ICE']Well it's way too big to be an XBLA DL. The game is 29.99 if you just use the Best Buy coupon. It's worth that to me at least. I think there are just a lot of bitter DR2 owners, which I can kind of understand. In that case, just don't buy it and forget it, or wait for a price drop. Just don't cry and whine like babies. This stuff happens.[/QUOTE]
So i am not allowed to complain because i spent $65 on a game, got fucked out sandbox mode now i have to pay another $40 to get it?

Game has no business being $40, if you don't like to hear the consumer complain log-off the internet. I will buy this for $10-15 used because i refuse to support this kind of practice, and can't fit on XBLA? crysis did, ever hear of games on demand? the GTA DLC? they could of put it on there, or released it on disc for $19.99.

I have the right to bitch all i want.

Well I had just started DR2 but I may sell it and pick this one up instead. I have a bunch of GS credit I have been sitting on, so I may just use some of it and grab this.

Does OTR import your progress from that XBLA game ("Case Zero" I think)? I'm assuming not because it's a different character, but I wanted to be sure.

I'm gonna start the XBLA game soon so I'm wondering which game will allow me to retain my progress. If both versions of DR2 can do this, maybe I'll get OTR. Otherwise I suppose the vanilla version is my best bet. Based on what I've read here, it looks like OTR is more of an "alternate" game, rather than some GOTY version that gives you the base game + extra content?

[quote name='BustaUppa'] Based on what I've read here, it looks like OTR is more of an "alternate" game, rather than some GOTY version that gives you the base game + extra content?[/QUOTE]

DR OTR is more like a Vice City Stories/Liberty City Stories type of game. Same city/similar enviroment but different story line/missions.

I'm in for $20 or less on this game.

Case Zero lets you get up to level 5 I think and some combo cards and your cash and transfer over to DR2, don't think it lets you do that to Off the Record. No base game + extras in OTR, its definitely "alternate" :). I wouldn't really worry too much about retaining your progress, it doesn't take all that long to replicate what you can accumulate in Case Zero during the early part of DR2. Case Zero is a good introduction to the mechanics of DR2 of course and I enjoyed playing through it.

If its your first time playing a DR game, you will probably reach a point where you die with a save a ways behind you and decide to restart the story to save your current character progression (not the story progression).

I played through DR2 first on the PC, so when I finally got around to playing it again on the Xbox 360, I pretty much knew most of what I was doing and was able to play right through the complete story and did most of the less obtuse (i.e. time consuming) side things in the one playthrough with the level 5 boost and a couple combo cards from Case Zero. I think I went from level 5 to like level 43 or so in that Playthrough.

[quote name='waldo21212']DR OTR is more like a Vice City Stories/Liberty City Stories type of game. Same city/similar enviroment but different story line/missions.

I'm in for $20 or less on this game.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='loomis1975']Case Zero lets you get up to level 5 I think and some combo cards and your cash and transfer over to DR2, don't think it lets you do that to Off the Record. No base game + extras in OTR, its definitely "alternate" :). I wouldn't really worry too much about retaining your progress, it doesn't take all that long to replicate what you can accumulate in Case Zero during the early part of DR2. Case Zero is a good introduction to the mechanics of DR2 of course and I enjoyed playing through it.

If its your first time playing a DR game, you will probably reach a point where you die with a save a ways behind you and decide to restart the story to save your current character progression (not the story progression).

I played through DR2 first on the PC, so when I finally got around to playing it again on the Xbox 360, I pretty much knew most of what I was doing and was able to play right through the complete story and did most of the less obtuse (i.e. time consuming) side things in the one playthrough with the level 5 boost and a couple combo cards from Case Zero. I think I went from level 5 to like level 43 or so in that Playthrough.[/QUOTE]Thanks for the insight! I've played through the first DR so I don't think the save mechanics and such for DR2 will be a shock to my system. As far as the Case Zero progress goes, it's more of an OCD thing for me than a time thing. If the stat porting feature is there, I wanna use it!!:)

[quote name='CaptainJoel']If you like the story then you'll love this and the Sandbox mode is a ton of fun, but as it is right now the game is a broken mess. Seriously, some of the glitches that happen are just fucking ridiculous. I know they released an update yesterday, but I'm not sure of what it fixed yet, so I'd recommend this as a buy at $20 with the glitches.

Also, the game feels like it's missing part of it's charm, I think it may be because Capcom Vancouver (formerly Blue Castle Games) actually made the game this time instead of Japan doing everything and Blue Castle just putting on finishing touches. It just feels more like a Western game.[/QUOTE]

i dunno what glitches your talking about, this game played fantastic for me, and its a little more than just a dr2 expansioin. this game is way waaaaay better than dead island, now THAT game had some glitches...stupid auto save freezing piece of shit game that was...it would've been great if i didn't have to keep re-starting and losing all my weapons

bread's done
Back