Red Dead Redemption Hardcover Guide (Game of the Year Limited Edition) @ amazon 17.64

Kenshindono

CAGiversary!
Feedback
7 (100%)
this was in my gold box today so i just noticed it.. seems like a pretty good price for the hardcover

http://www.amazon.com/Dead-Redempti...=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1318485550&sr=1-2

the only question is if the guides any good.. do you really need a strat guide for red dead? I get guides for games i dont need them sometimes if they have some nice artwork or other things to them.. not sure what the deal is with this one though

anyway, just letting everyone else know

did you look at it scblueeyedguy? ive gotta order it tonight for my aditional gold box discount of about 16 and change if i want it. Wondering if its got any good maps or anything in it

I'd say it's not worth it, since the original game is at that price point already, or will be very shortly. I wouldn't pay the same price for a strategy guide as I would a game as a general rule of thumb.

This is OT but what does one look for when it comes to strategy guides regarding collecting purposes. Is their any "strategy" to determining if it'll increase in value?

I would assume that the hardcovers are almost always more rare and valueable. Is that true?

Do strategy guides typically get a second, third fourth etc. print? Or are most one and done?

I don't really buy guides but I've started collecting a few here and there to go with some of my CE/LE/SE games.

Thanks for the info

[quote name='Kenshindono']did you look at it scblueeyedguy? ive gotta order it tonight for my aditional gold box discount of about 16 and change if i want it. Wondering if its got any good maps or anything in it[/QUOTE]

Nope. It was behind the counter in a display case. I like the look of it though.

This has been in the official Collector's Edition strategy guide thread for a week or so. Unless the guide in question is Piggyback or Future Press (the best guide makers in the business) who have short prints and usually are hard to find after a certain point, there's no reason to start a separate thread.

Some guides do hold their value. For example my sweet Bayonetta guide. Also it seems the hardcover Fallout GOTY guide is hard to find too.

[quote name='GBAstar']
I would assume that the hardcovers are almost always more rare and valueable. Is that true?[/QUOTE]

I'd actually say that there are more hardcover/LE guides that you can buy under MSRP than ones that would run you more.
Some more extreme than others...like Medal of Honor LE is 68 cents new on Amazon.

With the great postings on achievement sites, IGN, youtube, and websites dedicated to specific games. Why do people buy guides?

Just wondering.

Beg

Because getting guides for a penny is fun, and can be at times more useful as a reference for game info/fun to read for the extra stuff in the LE guides.

To answer GBAStar, once upon a time hardcovers might have had the possibility of increasing in value a great deal, but these days every major game and some lesser ones get their own hardcover guide. I've gotten several from Best Buy when they pennied out.

[quote name='BegFourMercy']With the great postings on achievement sites, IGN, youtube, and websites dedicated to specific games. Why do people buy guides?

Just wondering.

Beg[/QUOTE]

Other than collecting purposes, some people dont have a pc near their tv. having a guide on hand is more convenient than running back and forth from your tv to your pc.

[quote name='Brother Daz']Other than collecting purposes, some people dont have a pc near their tv. having a guide on hand is more convenient than running back and forth from your tv to your pc.[/QUOTE]

I guess I am too used to having a laptop......

bread's done
Back