scammed from wally world....

N

NightmareBOOSTA

Bought a new game PS3 recently, opened it up and found some generic PS2 game inside of the contents. Talked to CS and she spoke with the manager, but they told me that because I didn't unseal this while in the store, so they couldn't honor me an exchange. Was wondering if I can do anything else....

Btw the time difference from me leaving and re-entering their chain was less than 3 mins...

:roll:

Last edited:
Did it looked tampered with?

If not, you may want to contact the game company. Sometimes there are mess ups on their behalf.

[quote name='TXboxGuY']Wow! 3 minutes? Who does that?

I don't see how it being such a short time could help you in your argument. :whistle2:?[/QUOTE] this

Call Walmart again, if not call their corporate center, and if they still don't do anything contact your Credit Card/Bank to refute the charges and notify them of the incident.

[quote name='TXboxGuY']Wow! 3 minutes? Who does that?

I don't see how it being such a short time could help you in your argument. :whistle2:?[/QUOTE]

I think he's getting at '3 minutes shouldn't be enough time for me to swap games'. of course, the trick is, it's far MORE likely in the eyes of the store that you'd have the swap disc on you, switch them outside the door, then come back right away for a refund or a second copy. "I got home, opened it, and found this other game" is how most folks would find such a thing.

Try a chargeback, going up to the DM, or contacting the manufacturer. In the future, if you want to open a game on the spot, do it next to the cashier after you've paid- just in case.

I have to think that with so many threads/posts being made in public forums (not just CAG, but elsewhere, too) about how accommodating stores have been with this type of situation in the past, that there have to be people taking advantage of the situation. At some point, stores just have to say 'No' or else the problem will magically multiply. Not accusing the OP or anything, just looking at it from the store's point of view. I certainly never open my games in the store (especially because most of what I buy are gifts), but I would definitely be upset if this happened to me. I am somewhat cautious, though, because I've seen the discarded cases laying around in various stores with the shrinkwrap slit at the opening...

Do not bother with corporate, they will not listen to you unless you have a public shit storm behind you. Your best recourse is to talk to the Regional Manager. These are the guys who have the information about all the things going on with all the stores (in their region). If an issue like yours pops up often enough in a particular store, a regional manager will most certainly override any decision a store manager makes.

If you're lucky and it is a problem with your store, you are more likely to get a refund/exchange (it looks better if you ask for an exchange and not a refund, AND OPEN IT IN THE STORE).
If you're unlucky and it is not a problem with your store the regional manager will most likely deny you a refund/exchange. However, if this occurs I would make sure to e-mail the regional manager with some of your contact info saying something along the lines "just in case" an error was discovered on their end that they discover later.

Last edited by a moderator:
It didn't look tampered with, I didn't open this inside because it was suppose to be a gift. But it did have the ghetto reshrink sealing. Now there is no way to tell because PS3 games don't use microsoft 360 seals. Well looks like I'm SOL since it was cash transaction...

[quote name='NightmareBOOSTA']It didn't look tampered with, I didn't open this inside because it was suppose to be a gift. But it did have the ghetto reshrink sealing. Now there is no way to tell because PS3 games don't use microsoft 360 seals. Well looks like I'm SOL since it was cash transaction...[/QUOTE]

Wait what?

You sound fishy to me.. so you didnt open it in store cause it was a "gift", yet you walked out for less than 3 minutes and found out it was incorrect? You had time to present the gift to the receiver and they opened it in that timeframe?

Who opens their games in store excatly?

It does not matter how long you were out of the store.. you could have pre bought and swapped a completely different one and had it waiting in the car.

Bottom line is dont pay with cash. I use my card on almost all my purchases and pay that off in most cases at the end of the month.

[quote name='Snake2715']Wait what?

You sound fishy to me.. so you didnt open it in store cause it was a "gift", yet you walked out for less than 3 minutes and found out it was incorrect? You had time to present the gift to the receiver and they opened it in that timeframe?

Who opens their games in store excatly?

It does not matter how long you were out of the store.. you could have pre bought and swapped a completely different one and had it waiting in the car.

Bottom line is dont pay with cash. I use my card on almost all my purchases and pay that off in most cases at the end of the month.[/QUOTE]

There is a factory y-fold also an actual reshrink. Now from the other forums I've seen on here, I don't even know how used games get shrinked with a y-fold on here (AWD and Bestbuy does this?). I figured a gift receipt was good enough for the person who wanted this and would be safer opening up this rather than waiting to get home.

Again there is no damn way to tell directly since PS3 games don't contain the sticker seals....

[quote name='NightmareBOOSTA']There is a factory y-fold also an actual reshrink. Now from the other forums I've seen on here, I don't even know how used games get shrinked with a y-fold on here (AWD and Bestbuy does this?). I figured a gift receipt was good enough for the person who wanted this and would be safer opening up this rather than waiting to get home.

Again there is no damn way to tell directly since PS3 games don't contain the sticker seals....[/QUOTE]

I think the fact that it was some generic PS2 game, is that someone took it hope, swapped out the disc and returned it.

He probably has a device that let him shrink wrap things at home or maybe at his work.

But the fact it was some generic game probably means that's what happened.

Did you see any scratches on the generic game itself? If there is, then all the above applies.

From what I have seen even though Microsoft uses a security seal there is some way to get the disc out of the bottom or top of the case.

Sears and Kmart seem to be the worst with this, as I have seen plenty of open games lying around these stores, and many games in Sears especially with torn shrinkwrap, that I refused to buy.

Something similar happened to me. I bought a Halo Reach Legendary Edition on Clearance at Target for like 37. The Box looked fine and the seals were in tact. Took it home, and opened it, and only the statue thing was in it. No game, no documentation, no nothing. So after trying to figure out how they could have gotten the game out, it seems the bottom of the box can be "unfolded" and refolded very easily. So it seems someone bought it, took the game out from the bottom of the box, which doesn't break the seals on the side, and returned it as new. I was really worried the store would think I did it. I took it back and explained, and they thought it was probably on clearance because it was incomplete.

They refunded me but its a crappy experience to be on the receiving end of a scam like that. Freaking douchebags who do stuff like that.

[quote name='SaraAB']From what I have seen even though Microsoft uses a security seal there is some way to get the disc out of the bottom or top of the case.

Sears and Kmart seem to be the worst with this, as I have seen plenty of open games lying around these stores, and many games in Sears especially with torn shrinkwrap, that I refused to buy.[/QUOTE]
Is the xbox security seal that green sticker they put on to keep the games close? because if that is it then can't someone take off the sticker without actually breaking it?

[quote name='VANDALHEART']I have no sympathy for anyone stupid enough to buy games from Walmart or Gamestop and end up getting scammed.[/QUOTE]

Okay.

[quote name='VANDALHEART']I have no sympathy for anyone stupid enough to buy games from Walmart or Gamestop and end up getting scammed.[/QUOTE]

Ooh a CAG in training, with that kind of attitude you're sure to never get blocked around here:)

Douche.

[quote name='exaznkid']Is the xbox security seal that green sticker they put on to keep the games close? because if that is it then can't someone take off the sticker without actually breaking it?[/QUOTE]

Yeah its the white/green whatever color sticker that is on the spine of the game where you open it.

I am sure you could easily get the sticker off without breaking it, but I think its also easy to open the case at the bottom just enough to slide the disk out even with the seal on.

[quote name='mr_bungle']Ooh a CAG in training, with that kind of attitude you're sure to never get blocked around here:)[/QUOTE]

Well he's got the "be a major asshole" part of his training down.

I feel bad for the guy. I worked at the service desk a couple years ago at Wal-Mart and a guy came in with some "sealed" psp games to return. He was from the remodel crew and I thought he was a little "shady"...so I opened them and sure enough they were empty. One had a UMD video disc(I think it was Samurai Champloo) Anyways, sorry this happened to you, get a hold of the District Manager over that district and he/she should take care of you. If it was my Wal-Mart it would have been taken care of. They return anything up to used underwear. Sorry about your experience.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a terrible experience today at Walmart so I have nothing nice to say about them. Sorry for what happened to you because they sure as hell aren't.

I've had a situation like this once. The only difference is that I didn't notice it until I was home (which is what would normally happen). If you were in such a rush to open it, then I don't understand why you didn't just open it in the store.. If it hasn't been too long, call and tell them the situation (and leave out the fact that you already tried to bring it back in, etc).

They probably thought you were trying to scam them. Hell, I too would think the same if anyone had done that.

The only other thing I can think of would be to wait a couple days and have a friend call (or just bring it in for you) and say that it was a gift. Give him the receipt and ask for an exchange.

i went to bby today and saw bunch of used games sealed as a typical game seal.the only difference is the fact that the game had a stickered barcode inside the seal. it looks to me that they're getting these games from 3rd party buy/sell companies.

You must have woken up on the wrong side of the bed or are a complete tool. The guy didn't plan or expect it to happen so cut him some slack.

[quote name='phear3d']i went to bby today and saw bunch of used games sealed as a typical game seal.the only difference is the fact that the game had a stickered barcode inside the seal. it looks to me that they're getting these games from 3rd party buy/sell companies.[/QUOTE]

Yeah these are the games that are at Ollie's, a local chain here. The ones with the sticker inside the case. The 2 games I bought from them looked like they were never even played even though they said they were used and were obviously resealed. Some of the games were in completely generic cases too with the name of the game just written in permanent marker on the case, but a lot of the games did have the original manual and artwork. Some games were obviously brand new games that never sold at retail. They have to be getting them from some huge distributor or perhaps from stores that have closed and didn't sell all their inventory.

I don't think we can fault someone for buying a game on here, I mean they just shopped like a normal person would.

I've had the same problem with Walmart only mine was dealt with their price match. I went to Best Buy they had been selling 3 month cards for Xbox Live for 14.99 and were sold out. I had a guy print from their kiosk that it was on sale at that price. They refused to honor the price on that. It pissed me off they made some kind of excuse that oh we can't do that did a fake slide at the register, and said that it wouldn't allow them to do it which all they had to do is make me pay the regular price and refund me the cost of the difference. Looks like they won't be getting my money anytime soon.

Well I see someone is a negative nancy. Walmart has a price match guarantee if they say they'll match any competitors price. For not matching the price they are violating their own terms and conditions. This is also known as false advertising and fraud.

Call up the corporate 1800WALMART number and complain some more. This sort of thing isn't exactly uncommon at WalMart and the manager is trying to make his sales record look better by dumping the problem on you.

E-mailed customer service support about my problem and scanned a copy of my receipt. I was lucky enough to get a new copy. It was opened but looks untouched!

[quote name='DestroCobra']Well I see someone is a negative nancy. Walmart has a price match guarantee if they say they'll match any competitors price. For not matching the price they are violating their own terms and conditions. This is also known as false advertising and fraud.[/QUOTE]

They're policy could be that they'd match any advertised price. That could be the problem.

It's actually easier than it sounds to switch disks in a PS3 game case, even when a y-fold seal is in place.

I did this once as a joke to a friend... The fold was loose enough so that I could bend the case apart enough for me to get the get the disk to pop out of place, and then I just turned the case up on it's side and the game slid right out. I then replaced the disk with a blank CD with the words "Gotcha Bitch" written on it. He called me an hour or two later freaking out, until I informed him that the real game disk was hidden under the seat of his car. :lol:

[quote name='Brownjohn']They're policy could be that they'd match any advertised price. That could be the problem.[/QUOTE]

This was an advertised price in Best buys ad. I got a printoff from the Kiosk at the Best buy from a rep. I also confirmed before I left for that walmart that they said they would match the price. However I don't care bout it now it's done and over with. I'll take care of it next time.

[quote name='DestroCobra']This was an advertised price in Best buys ad. I got a printoff from the Kiosk at the Best buy from a rep. I also confirmed before I left for that walmart that they said they would match the price. However I don't care bout it now it's done and over with. I'll take care of it next time.[/QUOTE]

They weren't lying. They really can't PM points cards or gift cards. Their registers won't physically allow them to do it. In this case you could have saved yourself some trouble and actually listend them.

The customer is ALWAYS right.

Words to live by imo. I would talk to a lawyer and have a free consultation, you may be able to get a nice little settlement out of Uncle Sam Walton.

I would especially since WM always seems to have pretty damn good customer service from my experiences.

I hope everything works out in the end for you my fellow CAG brother.

What they could have done was let me pay for the purchase then refunded the discounted amount through service. I do stuff like this all the time at work.

bread's done
Back