Skylanders Spyro's Adventure Sam's Club Exclusive Starter + Drill Seargent $64.86 +tx

Yuckmouth

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
I'm guessing this will be available in stores tomorrow as well. Looks like the best deal for far as it's $5 cheaper than regular retail and includes a free Sam's Club exclusive character.

Drill Sergeant is a Sam's Club / Walmart only character.

Xbox 360
WII
PS3
3DS

Last edited by a moderator:
It's actually really fun. If you like Gauntlet or kind of even Castle Crashers, you'll enjoy it. People just generally hate it because of Spyro's name tacked on.

All the reviews I've heard of and watched on Youtube are surprisingly good. It plays like a mix between Gauntlet and classic Spyro; just without jumping and with very simple puzzles.

And also, thank you for posting this deal! I've been looking for the best way to get it on day one, and this is definitely it.

My kids have been going crazy for this game. Wife is ok with it because unlike the other games they enjoy (Scott Pilgrim and Castle Crashers) the enemies explode into coins and gems when defeated.

I think it's going to be the hottest toy for kids this Christmas.

You can go ahead and fall into the hype with this thing, but it's got the perfect formula for utter failure:
1. Release it during the overly crowded fall season.
2. Overprice it at $70.00, and get greedy by turning it into a 'collect them all' by charging extra for more characters.
3. Associate it with a character that has (in general) degraded into mediocrity...yep talking about Spyro.
4. Put a 'hottest toy of the season' label on it...looking at you 'zhu zhu' pets.

[quote name='dragonjud']You can go ahead and fall into the hype with this thing, but it's got the perfect formula for utter failure:
2. Overprice it at $70.00, and get greedy by turning it into a 'collect them all' by charging extra for more characters.
3. Associate it with a character that has (in general) degraded into mediocrity...yep talking about Spyro.
4. Put a 'hottest toy of the season' label on it...looking at you 'zhu zhu' pets.[/QUOTE]

I don't think it's going to be the hottest toy of the season, but I also haven't been this excited for a game in a long time. I love the idea of the extra characters, and $8 is not too much to charge. If you've ever played with any kind of mini figures, you'd know the price is pretty standard. With the WoW minis of comparable size it was $15 for three, and they were used in a board game instead of a video game. No memory or cross-platform swapping.

One gentleman I've heard on the issue says this game will either be a success, or totally flop: but either way, the figurines will get rare. Younger kids will inevitably destroy them in their play, and collectors will hoard them up. If you're interested in the game, I suggest moving quick. I'm going to get a full set of at least one of each figurine. I don't really need mint condition figures for any kind of collection, but I want to be able to play the full game experience. It's also fun to collect things =D

[quote name='dragonjud']You can go ahead and fall into the hype with this thing, but it's got the perfect formula for utter failure:
4. Put a 'hottest toy of the season' label on it...looking at you 'zhu zhu' pets.[/QUOTE]

You realize that:

1. It's marketed towards kids, unlike most of the other fall releases.

2. Collect em all is bad for sales? Ever heard of Pokemon? $7.99 per fig is cheaper than Star Wars, Transformers, Pokemon, pretty much everything other than Matchbox cars.

3. The market that this game is aimed at has absolutely no clue who Spyro is and they don't care.

4. Zhu Zhu pets? Those were wildly popular... you know that, right? Hottest toy of 2009, people lined up hundreds deep at TRU to get one.

Mid November these will be all the rage, whether everyone else likes it or not. Look at the ad campaign... look at the packaging. I didn't even know about it until my kids came home talking about hearing it at school.

Am I the only one seeing a resemblance between the Gill Grunt figure and Grunty / Murlocs in WoW. Both activision properties technically right?

I am waaay too old to be interested in this ... and yet ... I find a small part of me interested because it's something relatively new (although, haven't they done this sort of collectible figure thing before, just with crummy PC games rather than a higher quality console title?)

the only thing "exclusive" about this set is the bonus character that you can get seperately for $8$10. The actual bundle is the same.

[quote name='nbballard']the only thing "exclusive" about this set is the bonus character that you can get seperately for $8. The actual bundle is the same.[/QUOTE]

The figure can only be bought at Sam's Club and it's $9.98, not 7.99. Also the starter is $5 cheaper than everywhere else.

[quote name='etcrane']It looks like TRU is giving an exclusive figure with a $100 purchase of Skylander stuff starting the 16th.[/QUOTE]
That's true- but the fine print is a downer. You get a coupon after you hit $100 and the coupon isn't active until 12/24.

[quote name='Yuckmouth']The figure can only be bought at Sam's Club and it's $9.98, not 7.99. Also the starter is $5 cheaper than everywhere else.[/QUOTE]
Yea- i understand. The title of the thread makes it sound like the starter bundle has an exclusive in it. I was just clarifying that it's the same bundle everyone has.

[quote name='Yuckmouth']You realize that:

1. It's marketed towards kids, unlike most of the other fall releases.

2. Collect em all is bad for sales? Ever heard of Pokemon? $7.99 per fig is cheaper than Star Wars, Transformers, Pokemon, pretty much everything other than Matchbox cars.

3. The market that this game is aimed at has absolutely no clue who Spyro is and they don't care.

4. Zhu Zhu pets? Those were wildly popular... you know that, right? Hottest toy of 2009, people lined up hundreds deep at TRU to get one.

Mid November these will be all the rage, whether everyone else likes it or not. Look at the ad campaign... look at the packaging. I didn't even know about it until my kids came home talking about hearing it at school.[/QUOTE]

Geez, do you own stock in the company? Tester or developer or just a salesman?
Your points are valid, and so are mine. Only time will tell. They're definitely pouring money into marketing, as they're obviously all over the Rzones in ToysRus.

If this product is aimed at kids, it's simply too expensive in these economic conditions. As for the Pokemon comparison, guess which one a typical kid would buy?:
1. Pokemon Rumble
2. Not Pokemon Rumble (put anything here ;))

[quote name='nbballard']That's true- but the fine print is a downer. You get a coupon after you hit $100 and the coupon isn't active until 12/24.

Yea- i understand. The title of the thread makes it sound like the starter bundle has an exclusive in it. I was just clarifying that it's the same bundle everyone has.[/QUOTE]

It is not the same bundle, it includes a free figure that you can only get at that store. How much more exclusive do you want?

[quote name='dragonjud']If this product is aimed at kids, it's simply too expensive in these economic conditions. As for the Pokemon comparison, guess which one a typical kid would buy?:
1. Pokemon Rumble
2. Not Pokemon Rumble (put anything here ;))[/QUOTE]

Oh I hear you on Pokemon Rumble. The only two reasons we own 3Ds are #1 Price drop and #2 kids went apeshit when they saw the sequel to their favorite game ever.

There are two things I think Skylanders has going for it is -timing and huge number of collectible characters. It's a easy and cheap gift to give a kid at christmas if they have the game. I mean think about it...relatives call and say "what does little timmy want for christmas?" and parents say "oh they like these skylanders figures... they need x, y, x and they are just $8.

And sure, it might fail. I just think Activision is playing with house money (i.e. all their fortunes from COD) and they can just push the advertising like mad. I'm surprised by the partnership with TRU a little bit, since not everyone has a TRU nearby. If they flood Cartoon Network and Nick Jr with the ads... I think they have good odds.

[quote name='Yuckmouth']It is not the same bundle, it includes a free figure that you can only get at that store. How much more exclusive do you want?[/QUOTE]

It IS the same bundle. Sam's Club is also including a separately package figure, which is exclusive to their retailer.

So yes, this DEAL is exclusive to Sam's Club, but the BUNDLE they are selling is not. The one figure outside the bundle is.

The actual box that is the bundle is the same. The free figure is packaged separately. The title to your thread is "Exclusive Starter (the bundle) + Drill Sergent".

The "Drill Sergent" is the only thing exclusive about it, and can be purchased separately. I'm not arguing that it's a bad deal or something- it's a great deal. Cheap price, free figure.

I'm just saying, if you already were ordering it at Best Buy(for the challenge rooms) or somewhere else for their promo- the actual starter box is the same.

Wonder if the bundle will go OOS most places soon or if I should hold off and see if there are any deals in the upcoming weeks?

I agree that some of the individual figures may become hard to find, but any guesses on whether the starter pack (game bundle) will do the same? I'd like to wait several weeks to buy, but not if there's a good chance it'll be OOS by then... :S

Went to TRU and they had a rep there, and allowed us to play the game (Wii version). So my lil one and myself, had a go and I have to say it was a blast to play. I played about 15 minutes or so, and she cranked out about a half hour or so. They had the set up way on the back of the store, so we had all the time to talk to the rep.

I was really impressed with the implementation of the game itself. The portal responded damned fast, and load up was cake. Each creatures abilities gave a ton of diversity as well to our sessions. We started with the standard 3 pack for the Wii, and the rep also had some blister packs as well. Control was tight, the game was a lot of fun. Good graphics, and direction.

It's a bold step for a company to go this balls out, and honestly I like it. A shame Nintendo had not done this with Poke'mon. That would just crap money.

My hope is Activision doesn't rest on this, and lose momentum. I'll say this though, it is a must buy for us. I know we will enjoy it, and then some and at the end of the day that's what it's about.

My daughter and I are big time Spyro fans! So far, I have pre-ordered every character, including the exclusive TRU legendary 3 pack, Target Whirly and Sam's Club Drill Sergeant. I ordered the starter set on PS3 from Best Buy, which includes an exclusive vault that fits on the Portal and opens an exclusive battle arena. Also, got her a 3DS for Christmas and the 3DS starter pack which includes the exclusive Dark Spyro figure. So, I think I have ordered the first 20 or so characters. Time to break the bank...

According to the Best Buy website, the vault is packed in with the starter set, so I would assume that it will not be available separately.

so if i wanna get this how would you say to go about it? what exactly is the vault? and did i need to preorder to get that? and are there any figures that are preorder exclusive? and do you HAVE to buy all 32 of these $10 figures to finish the game? i mean, that's basically a $400 game when its all said and done.

Utter failure? clearly you don't have kids.

Kids run holiday sales, i have my own kids and my nieces wanting this and as a gamer i don't even know what the hell it is.

Will it do 100 million? clearly not, will it profit? bet your ass it will.

[quote name='deantjeep']According to the Best Buy website, the vault is packed in with the starter set, so I would assume that it will not be available separately.[/QUOTE]

The XBox 360 & PS3 starter sets are sold out on bestbuy.com (well, backordered); and it states that the vault is available packaged in "while supplies last" - I'd preorder but I'm afraid I might've missed the boat for the vault, unless I'd be willing to pick it up for the Wii (no thanks). I don't live anywhere near a bestbuy, so the website would've been my only way to pick those up.

[quote name='Drclaw411']so if i wanna get this how would you say to go about it? what exactly is the vault? and did i need to preorder to get that? and are there any figures that are preorder exclusive? and do you HAVE to buy all 32 of these $10 figures to finish the game? i mean, that's basically a $400 game when its all said and done.[/QUOTE]

From what I've read, to unlock all the in-game areas, you just need a figure from each element/power, so you can see everything without purchasing every figure (granted you won't see their digitized form) but I'm sure Activision will release far more than the 32 figures announced. Plus DLC packs are treated as figure packs, so the amount of money to spend is potentially endless ;). Just to address your questions from what I was reading tonight, the vault is included in all first runs of the BB starter. It's a physical piece that goes over the little portal thing (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=pcmcat252800050023&type=category&h=387) and there are 32 figures, not all of which have been released at launch BUT there are also variants that are retailer exclusive (Legendary paint jobs at TRU) and retailer exclusive characters of those 32, so the potential to spend money is there. Activision knows what they're doing and they've hit all the bases to create demand and drive kids and parents crazy. I especially love that it appears a few of the characters are exclusive to the starter sets and the 3DS starter has a unique figure that may not be sold separately. Nice way to get parents paying $140 instead of just $70 to start.

I'm on the fence ... I really should not be interested in this AT ALL. But I'm going to check out the figures tomorrow. If they strike me as cheap or poorly painted, I'll pass easily ... but if they look kinda cool ... well, I'm a sucker for innovation in gaming and like to support new concepts, even if they turn out to be a waste (*cough* Eye of Judgement *cough*)

We called TRU, and this looks to fall under the buy 2 get 1 free sale. So if ya want different sets such as the 3ds an wii versions, or you have other people who each want a set, it'll run 47 or so before tax for the starter sets 3 ways. I dunno if the figure packs count as accesories though. Would be nice if they did.

The figures (including the 3-packs) are showing as part of the buy 2 get 1 free sale on the website.

[quote name='Licasguy']We called TRU, and this looks to fall under the buy 2 get 1 free sale. So if ya want different sets such as the 3ds an wii versions, or you have other people who each want a set, it'll run 47 or so before tax for the starter sets 3 ways. I dunno if the figure packs count as accesories though. Would be nice if they did.[/QUOTE]

I guess i'm getting it at TRU (B2G1)and checking out BBY afterwards. If the vault is exclusive to pre-sales, I'll pick up a copy there and return my TRU copy at that weird discounted rate their doing.

Saw a video of this in target, It looks pretty fun. I'm a sucker for these kind of things

ITS FOR THE PC!
This now has my interest.

Now the only question is, how do I pick up the portal thingy if I don't pre-order from BB?

This actually seems really cool, kind of wish I was 10 again so I wouldn't feel bad buying it lol.

I'll possibly grab it if it bombs/goes on sale or something, I honestly don't see this doing well beyond the Christmas season.

Anyone notice the slickdeals click-through in all of the links in the OP?

Code:
http://slickdeals.net/?sdtid=3431292&sdop=1&sdfid=9&u2=http://www.samsclub.com/sams/shop/product.jsp?productId=prod4170237&navAction=

Nobody's mentioned the single best thing about this game. It's created by the guys who made the best game of all time, Star Control 2. I'm interested in this, but I'm a cag, so I'll wait till eventually I can get a really good deal on it. I don't really care about exclusive characters.

[quote name='nny']Nobody's mentioned the single best thing about this game. It's created by the guys who made the best game of all time, Star Control 2. I'm interested in this, but I'm a cag, so I'll wait till eventually I can get a really good deal on it. I don't really care about exclusive characters.[/QUOTE]

Only the Wii version is made by that developer ("Toys for Bob"). The PS3, 360 and PC version is being made by "XPEC Entertainment", a taiwanese studio with some crappy games in their resume.

So I have a Sams Club next door. Didn't even realize this was out or that they had and exclusive. I'm uhhh gonna be right back. Thanks OP.

Also if the packs are part of the buy 2 get 1 Ill be headed to TRU a little later.

This is bad.

[quote name='Nintendonly']Not going to lie, but you people buying into this crap are pretty stupid.[/QUOTE]

Not going to lie, but you're a dick.

Also my Sams said they don't have it and won't have it and at this point I dont want to wait just for Drill, so I think Ill hit TRU and order the Drill figure online.

Also, also I called TRU and its part of the buy 2 get 1 for rewards people only. email has a coupon. Someone get that up here please.

[quote name='Nintendonly']Not going to lie, but you people buying into this crap are pretty stupid.[/QUOTE]

Yea, you people! Stop doing something fun! What is wrong with you guys!

Seriously though. You're the one who is stupid for judging people for supporting a game that has been getting good reviews and might actually get video game playing parents and their kids together.

[quote name='etcrane']From what I've read, to unlock all the in-game areas, you just need a figure from each element/power, so you can see everything without purchasing every figure (granted you won't see their digitized form) but I'm sure Activision will release far more than the 32 figures announced. Plus DLC packs are treated as figure packs, so the amount of money to spend is potentially endless ;). Just to address your questions from what I was reading tonight, the vault is included in all first runs of the BB starter. It's a physical piece that goes over the little portal thing (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=pcmcat252800050023&type=category&h=387) and there are 32 figures, not all of which have been released at launch BUT there are also variants that are retailer exclusive (Legendary paint jobs at TRU) and retailer exclusive characters of those 32, so the potential to spend money is there. Activision knows what they're doing and they've hit all the bases to create demand and drive kids and parents crazy. I especially love that it appears a few of the characters are exclusive to the starter sets and the 3DS starter has a unique figure that may not be sold separately. Nice way to get parents paying $140 instead of just $70 to start.

I'm on the fence ... I really should not be interested in this AT ALL. But I'm going to check out the figures tomorrow. If they strike me as cheap or poorly painted, I'll pass easily ... but if they look kinda cool ... well, I'm a sucker for innovation in gaming and like to support new concepts, even if they turn out to be a waste (*cough* Eye of Judgement *cough*)[/QUOTE]

thanks! very helpful. does anyone know how similar this is to the original Spyro PS1 games? I've been wanting to play a new Spyro since Ripto's Rage. Still on the fence about this one because of the very expensive required figures. I'd prefer to play through the entire game as Spyro. Even though his redesign makes it look like Gnasty Gnorc sat on his face.

^^^Have you tried watching any videos of the game, read any blogs? Seriously, try that one site .. G something, rhymes with oogle.

I'm interested in this for the kids but it is from Activision so i will wait 3 months. Love to hear some honest feedback from those who do pick it up though

[quote name='ssjmichael']Only the Wii version is made by that developer ("Toys for Bob"). The PS3, 360 and PC version is being made by "XPEC Entertainment", a taiwanese studio with some crappy games in their resume.[/QUOTE]

Actually Toys for Bob is the main developer and the Wii version is the original version, it was ported for PS3, PC and 360 by XPEC from what I've read and given a shinier coat of paint.

To answer another question, this is nothing like the old Spyro games. Someone compared it to Gauntlet or something like that, and it's actually not far off. It's top down, there is no jump button, the characters have multiple attacks and gain experience as you use them. I'm not sure if the experience unlocks new abilities.

I think if kids get into this, it's really really going to take off for this holiday season. I hedged my bets and decided to pick up the BB exclusive version and i'll be watching to see how it's received by folks.

For anyone interested, I found this series of videos on youtube quite enlightening .. honestly, the game looks 1/2 decent, especially if you're a fan of Nintendo stuff ... just has that sort of vibe to it. There's a series of like 10+ videos from this dude, gives you a good feel for the gameplay -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgfAcfpz3j8

Anybody pick this up in store today? Watched the videos last night and this looks like a lot of fun especially for my 6 year olds birthday in a few weeks.

[quote name='basilofbkrst']Not going to lie, but you're a dick.

Also my Sams said they don't have it and won't have it and at this point I dont want to wait just for Drill, so I think Ill hit TRU and order the Drill figure online.

Also, also I called TRU and its part of the buy 2 get 1 for rewards people only. email has a coupon. Someone get that up here please.[/QUOTE]

So it's online only then for the drill figure?

I would argue that trolling around posts on games you are not interested in just to throw in an insult is pretty stupid. The videos I have watched and articles I have read make this seem to be a great game for younger people and people like myself who enjoy games that I can play with my kids. I think that the additional characters are a bit overpriced but no worse than pokemon cards or webkinz, plus ulike other DLC there is a physical object that goes along with the price.

Not to interrupt the ongoing discussion, but I wanted to thank the OP for this. My kids have both been going on and on about this game since they saw the demonstartion at Toys R' Us yesterday. The game looks like it will be a good time for them and me to play together so I went ahead an got one. Thanks again OP.

[quote name='prayformojo']So it's online only then for the drill figure?[/QUOTE]

I was told that if it was in store then it would have been an option on the shipping section of the page and it was not (at least for my area). So as far as I know the game itself and Drill Sergeant are online only.

Also I went to Toys R us. Got the game, earth pack and death pack. Ill fill in on the gameplay and how the new level that comes with the death pack is as well as how items work as the death pack has a time item and health potion.

*EXCITED!*

:cool::cool::cool:

bread's done
Back