Skylanders - Toys brought to life, Cross-platform Connectivity *Giants Out Now*

nbballard

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
Anyone pick up any of these games? It's an interesting concept that executes really well.

I picked it up for PS3 and 3DS at TRU yesterday and the cross-platform character connectivity is awesome. My character from the PS3 showed up on my 3DS with the same stats, equipment and moves.

(I'm going to make this thread a wiki so anyone can update series specific information, figure exclusives, etc. )

Characters and Availability
(All 39 Figures are now available. 3 console exclusive starters, 1 3DS exclusive starter, 27 through 3 packs or singles, 4 through adventure packs, with Wham Shell, Legendary Trigger Happy, Blue Bash and Red Drill Sergeant available only as single packs)

Magic

• Spyro (Console Starter Packs)
  • Dark Spyro (3DS Starter Pack)
  • Voodood (Single Pack and 3 Pack with Prism Break/Boomer)
  • Wrecking Ball (Single Pack and 3 Pack with Stealth Elf/Sonic Boom)
  • Double Trouble (Single Pack and 3 Pack with Whirlwind/Drill Sergeant)
Water

• Gill Grunt (Console Starter Packs)
  • Zap (Single Pack and 3 Pack with Hex/Dino-Rang)
  • Slam Bam (Empire of Ice Adventure Pack)
  • Wham-Shell (Single Pack)
Tech

• Trigger Happy (Console Starter Packs)
  • Boomer (Single Pack and 3 Pack with Prism Break/Voodood)
  • Drobot (Single Pack and 3 Pack with Flameslinger/Stump Smash)
  • Drill Sergeant (Single Pack and 3 Pack with Whirlwind/Double Trouble)
Fire

• Ignitor (3DS Starter Pack, Single Pack and 3 Pack with Camo/Warnado)
  • Eruptor (Single Pack and 3 Pack with Chop Chop/Bash)
  • Flameslinger (Single Pack and 3 Pack with Drobot/Stump Smash)
  • Sunburn (Dragon's Peak Adventure Pack)
Life

• Stealth Elf (3DS Starter Pack, Single Pack and 3 Pack with Wrecking Ball/Sonic Boom)
  • Stump Smash (Single Pack and 3 Pack with Drobot/Flameslinger)
  • Zook (Single Pack and 3 Pack with Cynder/Lightning Rod)
  • Camo (Single Pack and 3 Pack with Ignitor/Warnado)
Undead

• Ghost Roaster (Darklight Crypt Adventure Pack)
  • Hex (Single Pack and 3 Pack with Zap/Dino-Rang)
  • Chop Chop (Single Pack and 3 Pack with Eruptor/Bash)
  • Cynder (Single Pack and 3 Pack with Lightning Rod/Zook)
Earth

• Prism Break (Single Pack and 3 Pack with Boomer/Voodood)
  • Bash (Single Pack and 3 Pack with Eruptor/Chop Chop)
  • Terrafin (Pirate Seas Adventure Pack)
  • Dino-Rang (Single Pack and 3 Pack with Zap/Hex)
Wind

• Whirlwind (Single Pack and 3 Pack with Double Trouble/Drill Sergeant)
  • Sonic Boom (Single Pack and 3 Pack with Wrecking Ball/Stealth Elf)
  • Lightning Rod (Single Pack and 3 Pack with Cynder/Zook)
  • Warnado (Single Pack and 3 Pack with Camo/Ignitor)
TRU Exclusive Skylanders

• Blue Bash (Exclusive TRU Single Pack)
  • Legendary Trigger Happy (Exclusive TRU Single Pack)
  • Legendary Spyro (Exclusive TRU 3 Pack)
  • Legendary Chop Chop (Exclusive TRU 3 Pack)
  • Legendary Bash (Exclusive TRU 3 Pack)
Recolored Exclusives/Chase Figures
  • Silver Boomer
  • Silver Eruptor
  • Silver Dino Rang
    SilverSky.jpg
  • Gold Flameslinger
  • Gold Drill Sergeant
  • Gold Chop Chop
    GoldSky.jpg
  • New York Toy Fair 2012 Exclusive Cynder
    photo.jpg
  • German Toy Fair 2012 Exclusive Hex
    10275h.jpg
  • Clear Wham-Shell
    $%28KGrHqZHJCYE9sgYCL1LBPfGbyoY8%21%7E%7E60_12.JPG
Additional Content
  • Volcanic Vault (Exclusive Best Buy Console Starter Packs and Limited Promotion for Spending $25 on Skylanders Merchandise)
    2012-02-17_105047.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I spent $200+ yesterday picking everything up. I'm a sick, sick man.

I've only cracked the 3DS version - it's pretty neat. I've tinkered a little with the online PC/browser game... it... not so much.

I'm just annoyed at the Best Buy exclusive. All the other exclusives can be picked up on their own, but I'm just boned on the Best Buy exclusive. Stinks. I just hope someone comes along that wants to sell theirs on eBay or such.

[quote name='UncleBob']I spent $200+ yesterday picking everything up. I'm a sick, sick man.

I've only cracked the 3DS version - it's pretty neat. I've tinkered a little with the online PC/browser game... it... not so much.

I'm just annoyed at the Best Buy exclusive. All the other exclusives can be picked up on their own, but I'm just boned on the Best Buy exclusive. Stinks. I just hope someone comes along that wants to sell theirs on eBay or such.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='jacknicklson']Any word on the Best Buy Exclusive item? Will it be sold separately?[/QUOTE]
The best buy piece is packed into the bundle next to the batteries. So unless they decide to release it later with a pack, I don't know. I grabbed a copy there for a gift and the vault is litterally the size of a half-dollar and about a quarter inch tall. From my understanding, the game pieces that add content (tomb, boat, vault) only have to be registered on the system 1 time to work.

I haven't made any attempt to play the web version (I hear the 3DS portal is compatible with the web game.

The only thing I don't like about the console release is that you can't jump. I was really happy to see that you can jump in the 3DS version.

Picked this up on PS3 for my 9 year old daughter. She just loves it and for me, it is fun to play with her. Not something I would play solo, I do Gears and Killzone. The game is colorful and great for kids, the toys are really nicely painted and make for fun collectables. The PS3 version uses a USB dongle and so is wireless. I understand the 360 version has a 10' cable. Wii is also wireless.
We will collect all of the characters for sure as we are big Spyro fans. My daughter can't wait for Cynder to be released.
I would recommend the game for kids and those adults looking for something to play with their kids, or maybe just looking for some good old simple gaming, like the good old days of gaming...I love retro gaming, but love my PS3, 360 and Wii.
Oh, and I ordered a 3DS and Skylanders for 3DS, my daughter will get these for Christmas.

I picked up the PS3 version at Best Buy and also was surprised to see how small the vault is. However it is an exclusive, so gotta have it.

Ordered the Sams Club bundle for my son's birthday next month, now I need to figure out what extra figures to pick up during the TRU B2G1 event this week, also I want to pick up the Target figure (it shoots rainbow death rays).

Game play impressions would be greatly appreciated, still no big site reviews and I am not sure I trust them to review this in the context of a parent playing with their kid.

[quote name='prayformojo']Ordered the Sams Club bundle for my son's birthday next month, now I need to figure out what extra figures to pick up during the TRU B2G1 event this week, also I want to pick up the Target figure (it shoots rainbow death rays).

Game play impressions would be greatly appreciated, still no big site reviews and I am not sure I trust them to review this in the context of a parent playing with their kid.[/QUOTE]

If you're worried about doubling up on figures, you're fine. I'm pretty sure that none of the figures packed in with the console versions are sold by themselves yet (One of the figures in the 3DS version, Stealth Elf is sold as a stand alone). I know if you get the three-packs/adventure sets, you'll be good go go without duplicates.

As for reviews, NintendoWorldReport.com has reviews of both the Wii and 3DS versions up.

I also picked up the Target exclusive Whirlwind character and ordered the Sam's Club exclusive Drill Sargeant.

I don't think the Best Buy exclusive Vault will be sold separately since it is a pack-in exclusive.

[quote name='UncleBob']If you're worried about doubling up on figures, you're fine. I'm pretty sure that none of the figures packed in with the console versions are sold by themselves yet (One of the figures in the 3DS version, Stealth Elf is sold as a stand alone). I know if you get the three-packs/adventure sets, you'll be good go go without duplicates.

[/QUOTE]
The only way to double up right now is buying singles and triple packs. The legendary pack at TRU contains 3 characters that can be had elsewhere, but they have unique color schemes (attributes?).

Oh- and aside from the exclusives there are only 2 characters not included in triple packs: Zap and Sonic Boom.

[quote name='deantjeep']I don't think the Best Buy exclusive Vault will be sold separately since it is a pack-in exclusive.[/QUOTE]

My only hope is that the piece will be considered a "Time-Sensitive" exclusive and will later be included in a bundle of some sort. Or, at least, something to unlock that level will be released. Though I really want the piece. :D

Comeon eBay!

[quote name='nbballard']The only way to double up right now is buying singles and triple packs. The legendary pack at TRU contains 3 characters that can be had elsewhere, but they have unique color schemes (attributes?).[/QUOTE]

Except for Stealth Elf... she's in the 3DS bundle and a stand-alone figure.

Oh- and aside from the exclusives there are only 2 characters not included in triple packs: Zap and Sonic Boom.

Yeah, that sucked for the B2G1.... had to pick up a duplicate figure. I have an extra Stealth Elf if anyone wants to trade for the Volcanic Vault. :D

Did anyone get any of the adventure packs? I'm trying to figure out how the accessory items work. Do they expire, have a recharge period, etc?

A countdown starts when you put one on your portal, and if you take it off and place it back, the counter is in the place it was in when you took it off. I don't know how it resets though.

Also- my treasure chest from the Pirate set said that I had already received the item the first time I used it.

edit: found an explaination on a different forum- these reset for each level. So the timer lasts 20 seconds for each stage then resets.

[quote name='nbballard']The only way to double up right now is buying singles and triple packs. The legendary pack at TRU contains 3 characters that can be had elsewhere, but they have unique color schemes (attributes?).[/QUOTE]
Yes, the Legendary's have higher attributes than their standard versions.

Looks like my son will be getting his own copy of the 3DS version so we can have the Volcanic Vault from BB. *Flush* $70 ;) Argh; Vault doesn't come with the 3DS version... :(

[quote name='mmackin']Some of the items are timed exclusives, I'm sure that volcanic vault will be release in a 3-pack just like
The Darklight Crypt... which is a Toys R us exclusive... but can be pre-ordered from Wal-mart right now. http://www.walmart.com/ip/Skylanders-Adventure-Pack-Darklight-Crypt-UNIV-Wii/17350849[/QUOTE]
The volcanic vault is a battle arena though which is different from the adventure packs which include a full new level, one new character and two items. There are four confirmed adventure packs so I doubt we'll see volcanic vault in one of those. I'd love to be proven wrong though for my wallets sake.

[quote name='nny']I've decided that I'm probably going to pick up the starter set. Any thoughts on PC vs PS3?[/QUOTE]
I'd opt for PS3. Easier co-op, trophies, and the portal will work on the PC version of the web based game.

Does anybody know what portals are compatible with any other systems? I went ahead and picked up the 360 version, I'm debating to pick up the 3DS version for the characters since I'm only missing those and Drill Sergeant.

It clicked in my brain today to check Wal-Mart since that would make more sense, I'll go when I have more time.

I cancelled my Drill Sargeant order at Sam's Club and ran over to Walmart. Picked up 2 Drill Sargeants, they had 5 in stock.
I like the PS3 version because the portal is wireless. Don't think it would work on any other system, maybe on the PC.

[quote name='Snap']I'd opt for PS3. Easier co-op, trophies, and the portal will work on the PC version of the web based game.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that's what I'll probably go with, but I like the fact that the PC version is $10 cheaper :)

does the toys r us 100$, need to be one purchase? was gonna get some but not 100$ worth, but will buy more later.

[quote name='asgaga']does the toys r us 100$, need to be one purchase? was gonna get some but not 100$ worth, but will buy more later.[/QUOTE]
No. It's total amount spent over $100 between Oct. 16th and Dec. 24th.

Have any of you picked up the adventure packs? If so...how long is the level in it? is it multiple levels? I guess the question is...is it worth the 20 for the pack?

It's as big as the other chapters, i think it's definately worth it. New character, 2 items that can be used once per level, and 2 levels if you own the 3DS and a console version, one on each.

I took some close up photos of each of the figures. Most are still in the package (haven't opened them yet) and they're not awesome photos - should I post 'em (with a spoiler tag, of course)...

I am thinking about getting the Wii version over PS3. Will the Wii version have any limitations compared to the PS3 aside from visuals?

Dammit how old are you people?! I'm a friggin 35 year old man, and the obsessive collector inside me is intrigued by this dumb game. I keep telling myself no, but it looks kinda cool. I just don't want to be the old fogey on the block.

^Do what makes you happy. I'm an adult, with a wife, office job, a mortgage and all the other boring bits and pieces. I also happen to have a weakness for accessory driven novelty games.

Don't worry about being an older guy and wanting this game and collecting the figures. Playing these games with our kids keeps us young. I have been having a ball playing this game with my 9 year old daughter. We both love Spyro and anything Spyro will get our attention. The game is simple yet as you progress it gets more challenging, that is where the co-op really helps. It's fun to level up your characters and buy new powers. We will end up collecting the entire set for sure.

As to the difference between the Wii and PS3. I understand that besides the lesser graphics on the Wii, the controls via the Wii mote are not as good as playing with a DS3. Both have wireless portals. I can say playing it on our PS3, the controls are very good and smooth.

Now go and enjoy some good old fun and have fun with your kids! I know I am having a blast!

[quote name='nbballard']^Do what makes you happy. I'm an adult, with a wife, office job, a mortgage and all the other boring bits and pieces. I also happen to have a weakness for accessory driven novelty games.[/QUOTE]
+1

I'm sharing this all with my 8 year old son, he is just eating this up. We normally play Halo together (he's quite good, scary), he stated today that Skylanders is "way better than Halo Dad". Halo just got owned by Skylanders, pretty telling.

[quote name='Snap']The volcanic vault is a battle arena though which is different from the adventure packs which include a full new level, one new character and two items. There are four confirmed adventure packs so I doubt we'll see volcanic vault in one of those. I'd love to be proven wrong though for my wallets sake.[/QUOTE]

I've seen this volcanic vault item.. and it's the size of a quarter. It's going to be packed into something.. Just like those adventure packs that have the character, the zone item, and the two extra pieces... the volcanic vault is the same size as those small extra items.. yeah I might be wrong.. but I'm pretty sure it's going to be in some adventure / battle pack.

In the online game the volcanic vault translates into "Limited Edition Adventure Pack - The Burning Aqueduc Battle Arena". It lists one item which looks like the vault.

Just bought the PS3 version from BB to see what this "vault" is and how it shows up within the games plus picked up the 3DS version for my son as a present for Xmas. Good job Activision, you've gotten a ton of money outta me from this game already :/

Note on the web game - You can swap figures on the portal anywhere to change who you are playing as. I thought you had to go to your lair ._. Makes leveling multiple at once easy. Run around, find plant, swap.

[quote name='Readvacancy']It's as big as the other chapters, i think it's definately worth it. New character, 2 items that can be used once per level, and 2 levels if you own the 3DS and a console version, one on each.[/QUOTE]

Thank you! I went and picked both up and the set of figures i needed in order to have one of each elements. Haven't opened the adventure packs yet, but im really exited about it!

And I don't have any kids >_> lol

Amazon appears to have started to drop their prices on some of the Skylanders toys... could be something to compete with Toys R Us.

[quote name='Xalaga']Thank you! I went and picked both up and the set of figures i needed in order to have one of each elements. Haven't opened the adventure packs yet, but im really exited about it!

And I don't have any kids >_> lol[/QUOTE]

Hah... give in to temptation.. buy more! :O

I already had one of each element, grabbed the Legendary 3-pack, Stealth Elf, and Eruptor tonight at Toys R Us. Passed the $100 mark so should get a coupon eventually, and I passed $300 spent at Toys R Us in this rewards period with NO game purchases outside of Skylanders. My Star Wars and GI Joe collection are quite nice now..

Anyone else who needs one of the Volcanic Vault pieces - there's a guy on eBay with "10 available" (and has already sold 7, one to me) for a /decent/ price (assuming the pieces are going to remain exclusive and not as 1/4th of a $20 pack later on) - although a tad higher than I had wanted to go.

I'm not going to link to the auction, because I don't particularly want to promote someone else's auctions *and* I haven't received mine yet, so I can't really vouch for the seller... but if you're desperate and willing to take a risk (like I am), this might be worth looking at.

is anyone playing the 3DS game? I put some guys from my PS3 on the 3DS portal, and they came into the game with the appropriate lvl and hats, etc, but I haven't tried to transfer them back to the PS3 yet. I'm wondering how that will work. The 3DS portal only stays on for about 15 seconds while the character is transfered, then it turns off. The system stores 2 characters in the game max so that you can take it on the go and not have to haul toys and portals around in the car. To me, that would indicate that any experience the character is earning is saved in the game, and not on the figure- I've been using Stealth Elf a lot in the 3DS and took her from 2 to 4 so far, and I don't want to transfer her back and lose that experience.

bread's done
Back