Get hacked, get bonus Fifa 12 achievements!

JasonTerminator

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
So I got hacked today, and other than the 10000 MSP they bought on my account, they decided to play a little Fifa 12. I dunno what's up with it, but apparently it's a trend, happening to tons of XBL accounts. I don't even own Fifa, but now it's in my games list forever.

http://www.insidegamingdaily.com/2011/10/14/xbox-live-accounts-hacked-in-the-name-of-fifa-love/
http://www.giantbomb.com/news/microsoft-ea-claim-fifa-isnt-causing-rash-of-xbox-live-hacks/3746/

The most annoying thing is, XBL support refuses to remove the ill-gotten achievements! They're gonna refund my money for the MSP, of course, but for some reason they cannot remove the achievements. Every time I look at my games list now it's a reminder of the violation, and each time I get more pissed off.

I dunno, hopefully they might add the functionality after this mess, now that I know I'm not the only person this affected.

Anybody else have to deal with this bullshit?

[quote name='DestroVega']it's like having a baby as a result of a rape![/QUOTE]

You asshole. You just about made me Destro in my pants when I read that.

[quote name='JasonTerminator']So I got hacked today, and other than the 10000 MSP they bought on my account, they decided to play a little Fifa 12. I dunno what's up with it, but apparently it's a trend, happening to tons of XBL accounts.[/QUOTE]

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/...ues-microsofts-response-becomes-maddening.ars

It's some sort of exploit on the EA Servers that reveals people's EA Account information and Xbox Live account information. Lot's of people who play EA Games published games are finding their Xbox Live accounts comprised. This isn't new, it's been going on for about 3 months now.

this was happening with FIFA 2011 too, it's been around for at least a year and EA hasn't really done shit about it. just more widespread now.

anyways, how MS handles the situation is a joke. happened to me. account is locked down for 3-4 weeks, but they give you a 1 month for an alternate account, which is useless because save games don't transfer over.

even worse, if you have a windows phone, you can't play games, do updates or install new apps. Ditto along with any other MS services you actively use. It locks down everything. (which is bunk, if your account has been comprimised, changing your pass, security question, and making sure all recovery options/emails are yours is about as secure as you'll get from future use)

I haven't played FIFA, but got hacked as well.

No FIFA achievements either. Just 1200 points spent and my damn account got migrated to Russia so alot of the dashboard text is in Russian.

Called and they're investigating it. Said it would take up to 25 days.

Also said my account would be locked down, but it looks like it's still up. And my hotmail (live id that's tied to it) is still accessible.

Did the lockdowns happen right after you guys called?

[quote name='dmaul1114']I haven't played FIFA, but got hacked as well.

No FIFA achievements either. Just 1200 points spent and my damn account got migrated to Russia so alot of the dashboard text is in Russian.

Also said my account would be locked down, but it looks like it's still up. And my hotmail (live id that's tied to it) is still accessible.

Did the lockdowns happen right after you guys called?[/QUOTE]

Mine hasn't happened yet. I called Xbox Live support today and they said that the person that handled my report fucked up and it won't happen for another couple of days. Just in time to fuck me over for BF3 completely.

Thanks for nothing, Microsoft. Keep on sucking!

guess I'll call them tonight when I get home if it's still not locked out.

I assume when it's locked you can't sign into Live at all?

I got hit by the same thing, I had a CC tied to the account but they didn't buy any points with it, just drained the couple thousand I had in the account already. I didn't even notice it until the 24th when it happened on the 16th. I talked to M$ yesterday and they said in order to get my points back, they have to do an investigation which takes 25 days and I was promised a 30 code for another account but I never got it.

I am trying to use my PS3 to watch Hulu since the Xbox won't work. The PS3 hulu client is terrible compared with the Xbox, very jumpy and takes forever for the video to load.

My account is still active (but in russia)--but I still have my gamer tag and can sign in on the console, get into online games.

Just got off the phone as I wanted to double check that it wasn't still at risk of getting further charges.

The purchasing ability has been locked. The account hasn't been suspended yet (which blocks you out of signing in at all) since it was migrated to another country. Since it's outside the US their system can't automatically suspend it, it has to be done manually so that could take a few days.

Also sounds like it may not be EA related. I asked how my console got in Russian when the gamertag never left my console (I never had to recover it). He said a few countries in Eastern Europe started allowing accounts to be migrated (keep say a Russian account in another neighboring country rather than having to have an account in that country). It's a new thing and apparently some hackers figured out how to exploit it and they're trying to resolve the issue and prevent it from happening again.

Last edited by a moderator:
I called them back about my 30 day code so I wouldn't be completely SOL, they said they would send me one by email within 20 mins of getting off the call. Its been 2 hours...

Good thing they have great taste in games.
illK6U.gif

[quote name='dmaul1114']I haven't played FIFA, but got hacked as well.

Did the lockdowns happen right after you guys called?[/QUOTE]

I had an issue with this, also.

I was up all night on XBL and then went to sleep for a couple of hours, only to notice that I was missing 1600 MSP. I went to Microsoft's billing website and saw that it had been redeemed on DA: O.

I immediately called up Microsoft and they said that they didn't see that my gamertag had been recovered anywhere else and would initiate an investigation with no mention of any compensation for the downtime.

My account was immediately suspended after the phone call, hopefully it'll be fixed by the time MW3 comes out since it fucked up with my BF3 plans.

[quote name='mynameis']I called them back about my 30 day code so I wouldn't be completely SOL, they said they would send me one by email within 20 mins of getting off the call. Its been 2 hours...[/QUOTE]

I have no interest in it since it just gives you a new account to use in the meantime so you can't earn any achievements on your real account, and your real account won't be able to access any game saves tied to the temp account.

As I understand it anyway.

Also, if it's coming via e-mail, make sure to check your spam/junk mail folder.

[quote name='menikmati']
My account was immediately suspended after the phone call, hopefully it'll be fixed by the time MW3 comes out since it fucked up with my BF3 plans.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, as I said, mine couldn't be suspended automatically by the systems since it got migrated to Russia. Have to wait for them to suspend in manually. But they blocked purchasing on it at least.

Also hoping it's ready for MW3. But probably not likely since they said up to 25 days, and on the Xbox support forums there are people who've been waiting for 40+ days to get an account back after hacking and foreign migration.

[quote name='dmaul1114']I have no interest in it since it just gives you a new account to use in the meantime so you can't earn any achievements on your real account, and your real account won't be able to access any game saves tied to the temp account.
[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it sucks, but at least it would allow me to use Hulu and Netflix.

I got hit this afternoon. 4,080 points taken, and I'm 99% certain that I interrupted them in mid-theft:

I booted up, it immediately said my account was no good, so I did a recovery. About 10 minutes later I was back and 15 cheevos for FIFA were there along with -4,080 MSP. 29 FIFA packs bought.

After I was on for about 10 minutes, it suddenly says "you have been logged off" and "your account is no good". They were recovering my account while I was on! I immediately started the recovery process again, went online & changed my password. There are still some points safe in my account now.

IMPORTANT NOTE:

They changed my secret question. The question was all Japanese, fortunately I was able to change it since my password was intact.

If you have been hacked, be sure to check the secret question or they CAN get back into your account at a later date.

In closing: I never signed up to an EA account to my knowledge, so these hacks may be spreading farther out than EA now.

Here's a real solution Microsoft: temporarily limit these BS FIFA packs to a limit of one per day until the smoke clears. I wouldn't mind losing 200-500 points as a one-time reminder to get a new/better password.

Now the real question is: do I want to even have MS intervene if it means losing my account for 1-2 months?

I think its nonsensical that we have to have 3-4 different accounts just to play our games and to get downloadable content. So I have to have a Xbox Live account, EA account and a Bioware account, and I don't even know if there are any more, I think I might have an account with Rockstar too. I think it should all just be one account, that would be so much easier. No wonder people use the same password across all 3 accounts or more.

[quote name='Kerig']I got hit this afternoon. 4,080 points taken, and I'm 99% certain that I interrupted them in mid-theft:

I booted up, it immediately said my account was no good, so I did a recovery. About 10 minutes later I was back and 15 cheevos for FIFA were there along with -4,080 MSP. 29 FIFA packs bought.

After I was on for about 10 minutes, it suddenly says "you have been logged off" and "your account is no good". They were recovering my account while I was on! I immediately started the recovery process again, went online & changed my password. There are still some points safe in my account now.

IMPORTANT NOTE:

They changed my secret question. The question was all Japanese, fortunately I was able to change it since my password was intact.

If you have been hacked, be sure to check the secret question or they CAN get back into your account at a later date.

In closing: I never signed up to an EA account to my knowledge, so these hacks may be spreading farther out than EA now.

Here's a real solution Microsoft: temporarily limit these BS FIFA packs to a limit of one per day until the smoke clears. I wouldn't mind losing 200-500 points as a one-time reminder to get a new/better password.

Now the real question is: do I want to even have MS intervene if it means losing my account for 1-2 months?[/QUOTE]

Wouldn't another solution be to call MS and have them remove your credit card info? I thought they updated the policy that you didn't need to have a card on file anymore, and this new scam only supports the downside to having one on file.

[quote name='Kerig']They changed my secret question. The question was all Japanese, fortunately I was able to change it since my password was intact.
[/QUOTE]

I forgot to mention, I found that as well, of course I changed it immediately.

I know people are wanting to blame EA somehow for these hacks, but if Xbox account security was where it should be then EA(or any other company) shouldn't be able to cause an exploit like this no matter how inept they are.

What are the people that are exploiting this really gaining from it? Just being annoying or is there some advantage to purchasing a bunch of Gold Packs on my account, can they somehow transfer them in-game to their account?

[quote name='iNFiNiTE HORiZON']are there any precautions I can take to prevent being hacked? does seem to be hitting more and more people, do we know how exactly they're doing this yet?[/QUOTE]

Yeah this is getting really out of hand. I'm surprised it's gotten so widespread now. Even more frustrating is that no one seems to be doing anything about it.

[quote name='sp00ge']Wouldn't another solution be to call MS and have them remove your credit card info?[/QUOTE]

They're not getting CC info, they're going into your account and spending your already existing points.

As for the reason: They're buying packs of FIFA cards and I would assume trading the good ones to another account. Endgame is probably selling the valuable ones.

How to prevent it?: Change your password IMMEDIATELY to something stronger than it is now.

My case has begun at Microsoft. I'll have no LIVE access for the next 3 weeks or so. They're actually really cool guys who are on the phones. The first thing I asked is: "Are you aware of the FIFA Hack?" He didn't flat out deny its existence so that was a very good thing.

[quote name='Kerig']They're not getting CC info, they're going into your account and spending your already existing points.
[/QUOTE]

If you have a credit card tied to your Xbox live account (i..e you've bought points or gold memberships through the dashboard) they can buy more points and charge your card.

Has happened to a lot of people. Thankfully it didn't happen to me despite having a card on file. Probably because I was home when the e-mail confirming my account had been migrated to russia popped up so I quickly logged onto Xbox.com and changed my password etc. and called MS and got the purchasing ability locked right away.

So I just lost 1200 points they spent on Rift before getting locked down, and didn't get any charges on my Visa.

I'm on day 16 of being FIFA'd...

Think I'm going to give MS a call today and ask to see when calls were made to customer service about my account. One of the theories I've seen is that these passwords are being social engineered and not from some EA exploit...

The thing is tho... this problem has been going on for at least 4 months. Probably thousands of accounts... so why does MS have to suspend the account to investigate?

Short answer... they don't. The have a log of what IP the account was used from. They have the system number of the xbox that attached itself to the account. So what benefit is having the account locked do to the "investigation"? None. They just don't give a rats ass about their customers.

I have called them for the 3rd time to get my free 30 day code so I can use Netflix and I still don't have the code. They always say it will be emailed in 10-20 mins.

I agree with Afflicted, there is no reason they should need 25 days to investigate these. There are so many of these coming in that they couldn't possibly be doing any real research. The 25 days must simply be a backlog that they are working through. Each case probably only takes 15 mins research but they are just so far behind that we are waiting forever. They either need to beef up the security or invest the necessary resources to be able to turn these around quicker.

Has anyone actually got a refund yet after this happened to them?

ok... I just got off the phone. One of the security questions is which credit card # is attached to the account. Well it's a card # that was closed a couple of years ago so I didn't know it.

Called my credit card company to get the last 4 of the card that the fraud happened on.

Called MS back to try to get information. They tell me that I didn't answer the questions right so my account is locked and for them since I gave wrong information too many times and then hung up on me.

I think they've got some serious security problems on their end... and this is their way of hiding it.

Yeah its official I'm removing my CC tomorrow. It's pretty bullshit you need to call them to remove it but w/e

[quote name='mynameis']I have called them for the 3rd time to get my free 30 day code so I can use Netflix and I still don't have the code. They always say it will be emailed in 10-20 mins.

I agree with Afflicted, there is no reason they should need 25 days to investigate these. There are so many of these coming in that they couldn't possibly be doing any real research. The 25 days must simply be a backlog that they are working through. Each case probably only takes 15 mins research but they are just so far behind that we are waiting forever. They either need to beef up the security or invest the necessary resources to be able to turn these around quicker.

Has anyone actually got a refund yet after this happened to them?[/QUOTE]

Not to brag because I hate Microsoft but from start to finish it took them three days to do my investigation. It may have helped that I called their corporate number to lodge a complaint about how longs it taking them to investigate something that is very widespread and obviously an issue. I was credited the 2600 points that was the alleged total for what they bought but seeing as how you can't even click the links in your purchase history I have no clue if that was the correct amount or not and then also a month of xbox live to compensate me for my 1.5 hours spent on the phone. I would have made more getting a minimum wage job in that amount of time.

[quote name='mrright4you4now']Not to brag because I hate Microsoft but from start to finish it took them three days to do my investigation. It may have helped that I called their corporate number to lodge a complaint about how longs it taking them to investigate something that is very widespread and obviously an issue. I was credited the 2600 points that was the alleged total for what they bought but seeing as how you can't even click the links in your purchase history I have no clue if that was the correct amount or not and then also a month of xbox live to compensate me for my 1.5 hours spent on the phone. I would have made more getting a minimum wage job in that amount of time.[/QUOTE]

Gonna give them till next monday then I'll give the corporate number a try...

as far as the coins they refunded you... on the xbox website there is a place you can see coins spent per month and it shows the starting coin amount and ending coin amount each month. not sure where to tell you it is but after this happened to me I found that... but my account being locked, cant tell you where it's located...

They can remove achievements, they must not want to go through the trouble. They remove achievments if you're cheating, so I dont see why they didnt do it for this.

[quote name='CXK']They can remove achievements, they must not want to go through the trouble. They remove achievments if you're cheating, so I dont see why they didnt do it for this.[/QUOTE]

I made this argument when I was on the phone with XBL support, and they said that ONLY the anti-cheating department could do it, and ONLY if somebody had cheated to get them.

So, if somebody hacks your account and unlocks achievements on it it's ok, unless they used exploits or mods or something to unlock achievements, only then they'll delete them. To be fair, it seems like they only wipe out all achievements, not selectively, but I still think it's hilarious that they "don't have the power to do it."

My account still hasn't even been suspended, much less gotten any points back, or my dashboard out of Russian.

Puchasing is locked, but they havent suspended the account to where I cant log in yet.

Good call...

I would like this number as well now that I know what the culprit is for all my missing money and points...

Also plan on checking when I get home to see if there are any new achievements I don't recognize....

I got my account back along with all the points right before Thanksgiving, I never had to call any specials numbers. The extra achievements are still there but thats no big deal.

[quote name='mynameis']I got my account back along with all the points right before Thanksgiving, I never had to call any specials numbers. The extra achievements are still there but thats no big deal.[/QUOTE]

And you did this how exactly?

Just called the standard Xbox support number (800-469-9269), filed a report, waited about 20 days. Better than the 25 days they originally quoted.

bread's done
Back