Free Diablo III with annual pass to WoW

Daviddenton3

CAGiversary!
Just read a story on gamesradar about Blizzard offering a free digital copy of Diablo III to everyone who signs up for an Annual Pass to World of Warcraft.

When it becomes available you get to download Diablo 3, and there was even info on if you bought the collector's edition of Diablo 3 then you can still register the game and get any perks that come with it and add 4 more months to your pass for free.

Annual Pass also comes with a special mount (probably flip that for some good money) and access to the Beta of the new upcoming expansion (Mists of Pandaria).

I'm nearly broke all the time (hence being a CAG) but setting it at a $15 a month plan is manageable.

$180

It's a pretty good deal really when you think about it. I would be in for it but sadly I'm still burned out from burning Crusade (I was never able to get back into it again like I did in BC). Diablo 3 looks amazing though.

If the annual subscript is really $180 + Diablo 3 free, it's the equivalent of getting a year's worth of WoW subscription for $10 / month (lower than all available payment options, aside from getting discounted game time cards in bulk) and buying Diablo 3 for $60 separately. Is the mount even sellable/flippable or is it some bind-on-account sort of deal?

It's not a straight up fee, it's a commitment; you promise to play for 12 months and pay for those months however you want, they give you Diablo 3, the Bind on Account mount for all your characters, and a guaranteed beta invite for the next WoW expansion.

I'm already paid through the next 5 months from buying game cards at Best Buy during their last B2G1 sale, and those 5 months count toward the 12 month commitment. This works great for me! Hopefully by then there will have been another B2G1 that I can use my BB credit on. :applause:

you get diablo 3 free for agreeing to subscribe to wow for 12 months, any game time you already have prepaid counts towards that 12 months and you can use the 1month 3 month or 6month plans during that time, the 6 month option obviously being the cheapest per month cost.

Think of it like a 12 month cell phone contract but instead of paying for a cellphone you agree to pay for a year of wow and you get diablo 3 free.

[quote name='Razorfish']If the annual subscript is really $180 + Diablo 3 free, it's the equivalent of getting a year's worth of WoW subscription for $10 / month (lower than all available payment options, aside from getting discounted game time cards in bulk) and buying Diablo 3 for $60 separately. Is the mount even sellable/flippable or is it some bind-on-account sort of deal?[/QUOTE]

It would most likely be bind on account.

About to sign up for this. Of special note is that you don't have to lay down the 180 all at once. While that is the best savings, you are simply agreeing to pay for 12 months, in essence you can't cancel.

My plan is to pay the 15 bucks a month, as I would normally, get the mount and diablo 3, and the only downside is that over one year, I can't cancel. This is a no brainer for me, especially because I don't need to pay $180 up front.

Just signed up.

Come on, don't do this. Their using their new game to get you into a 1 year commitment for an old game. I thought we were cheap and smart.

A very key part of the FAQ: Game cards COUNT towards the year. If a deal crops up soon for some game cards (like the Best Buy buy 2 get 1 free) this could be as low as $120 for the yearly fees, making it average out to $60 for a year of game time. Very good deal. I still have two cards left over from the last sale since I quit a few months ago, so I could start up my account for those months, then hope for a deal in the next 4 months or so.

Tempting. Very tempting.

Not to start a riot in here but I thought Mists of Pandaria was a joke when I first saw the trailer for it. Cataclysm looks badass and most of my friends who still play like it but yeah I gave WoW way back when Burning Crusade came out. Even though I play Rift now it's kind of crazy to think that after Pandaria there will only be one more WoW expansion if Blizz sticks to their word.

I don't even play WoW anymore, but I feel like jumping on this. I get the Wow itch every now and then, but sometimes I give in. And we get a cool mount. I feel like I am getting sucked back in.

the new expansion looks to have alot of interesting stuff, including introducing a pet battling system (oh no, you got Pokemon in my Warcraft!) and the Pandarens are neutral til level 10, pick either faction...pretty kewl.

I think its an interesting incentive. agree to pay for WoW for a year and you get in game stuff and a new game (interesting way to bring lapsed players back into the fold)

[quote name='ijustw1n']Come on, don't do this. Their using their new game to get you into a 1 year commitment for an old game. I thought we were cheap and smart.[/QUOTE]

The only smart person here.

As an x WOW player of the old ones and BC id say its only worth it if you were already actively playing WOW. If you had already quit or just getting started then blizzard has a good marketing strategy.

I played the newest WOW for about 2 years and got two level 80 characters then got tired of coming up with money to keep playing. I never played a diablo game before but I'm interested in the 3rd if I get it id certainly just lay out the $60 instead or even better just wait a couple weeks after its release date and save some money and get it on sale. For those who can wait.

another reason not to get it is, if you loved D2 as much as I did, you'd be playing D3 A LOT. This would leave you no time to play wow, why pay for a sub to wow if you won't be playing it?

[quote name='adezero']another reason not to get it is, if you loved D2 as much as I did, you'd be playing D3 A LOT. This would leave you no time to play wow, why pay for a sub to wow if you won't be playing it?[/QUOTE]

Another good example. You're average player in these games isn't going to evenly split their time commiting to both games. These are hardcore games for hardcore gamers that go balls to the wall on one game at a time.

They are each award winning games and great highly acclaimed but don't be fooled into thinking its some great deal of a lifetime this is blizzard marketing themselves.

Its mainly a deal for those who were looking to play actively for the next year. If you're and X player which there are a lot of you out there its just blizzard getting you to relapse.

If you were thinking about quitting shortly then this shouldn't be a deal breaker either.

Good move by Blizzard, just in time for SW:TOR release :) .. it might save them a few thousand subscribers from leaving. BRILLIANT!

Does D3 even have a release date? It probably won't come out until next summer or fall so you'll use up most of your WoW commitment by that time. Only a good deal if you're currently actively playing WoW and plan on playing for the next year.

[quote name='KaitouDark']Have they announced when the 4.3 patch is out?[/QUOTE]

They never announce patch dates. mmochamp usually guesses it by PTR version numbers and other speculations.

and D3 release date hasn't been announced either, but I'd guess sometime in quarter 2 2012. Or, they might announce it on day 2 of Blizzcon

Someone needs to post if the time cards go on sale anywhere. I'm definitely in on this if some place has another B2G1 free on the cards. I was already going to buy Diablo 3 anyways, so I see it as getting a year of WoW for $60. Sweet!

You can pay the 6 month model for this deal, meaning you'll pay $155.88 for one year of WoW. If you were already planning on buying Diablo 3, you can consider it $60 shaved off the subscription fee. $155.88-$60= $95.88. That would be $7.99 a month for WoW, great deal for current subscribers.

You guys realize that as soon as Diablo III comes out, you're gonna be suckered into it and quit Warcraft (at least for a few months), right? I think this deal is really smart for Blizzard...it's a good way to keep their subscription numbers up for another year.

Huh, that's actually a decent deal then if you can use pre-paid cards. I still have a few left over from Amazon's B2G1F deal, and if another like that comes up soon, you could potentially end up with 12 months worth of game cards for $120. Even buying 2 six month plans from the website would only add up to $156 for the full year. Which, granted, for a CAG is still a considerable amount of money, but Diablo 3 is pretty much guaranteed to stay at $50 or above for quite a while, so if you were planning on getting it anyway you can essentially subtract that from the cost.

When is Mists of Panderia coming out though? Are most of these subscriptions going to end right around the time it's released?

[quote name='ProppaT']You guys realize that as soon as Diablo III comes out, you're gonna be suckered into it and quit Warcraft (at least for a few months), right? I think this deal is really smart for Blizzard...it's a good way to keep their subscription numbers up for another year.[/QUOTE]

Most "hardcore" gamers that play WoW for a year will probably switch back and forth between playing both anyway. I just hope that they'll still have normal content updates for WoW when Diablo 3 comes out.

[quote name='Luxuria']$180

It's a pretty good deal [/QUOTE]

official_wtf.jpg

yeah right
uinless i am an addict

I signed up because I plan on playing WoW for another year anyways, and you can make the payments in monthly installments instead of coughing up all the money at once (I've barely scratched the content of the current expansion). And we planned on buying Diablo III anyways...I get a another year of WoW with some goodies, hubby gets Diablo III, everybody wins.

I don't plan on playing SWTOR after it goes live. I'm currently beta testing it, and I will not be buying it on release.

So for those who play WoW. What do you think of this Panda business. As someone who has never play WoW...only Warcraft...It seems kind of silly. The first thing it made me think of is my 8 year old nephew would love this game. I know they are making game changes also but "Pandas" seem so out of place to me.

Wow is pretty cool, and this isn't a bad deal, but I just feel like I'm a better person when I'm not involved with it and constantly thinking about how I need to get home to run some dailies. I'll sit this one out.
Edit: to people wondering about the pandas, they're a part of the Warcraft lore and I don't think they seem out of place as the game most of the time isn't taking itself that seriously.

I feel bad already for buying the CE of Cataclysm and deciding to leave my other 2 level 80s alone to level a goblin warlock. I got bored with leveling around 50 and quit playing. I haven't seen most of the Cata content.

I was managing to get some backlog cleared out and now these asshats are blowing dope in my face.

For now I am passing. for now...

[quote name='panzerfaust']That's a great deal to those playing WoW or wanting to jump back in, unfortunately I don't think I have the time to invest in an MMO.[/QUOTE]

This

For any fresh people thinking about starting... you already missed the bus:

[quote name='"[url=http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/3767193/Sign_Up_for_the_World_of_Warcraft_Annual_Pass_and_Get_Diablo_III_Free-10_21_2011']Blizzard[/url]"]To participate, you must be 18 or older, have a valid credit card, and have registered a full version of World of Warcraft on or before October 18, 2011.[/quote]

I went ahead and signed up. Since there's no need to pay for the year upfront, I can keep my eyes open for 2 month cards on sale and i can still wind up with diablo 3

I've played since beta and I'm just now getting my monk class...i'm not going anywhere any time soon

[quote name='cancerman1120']So for those who play WoW. What do you think of this Panda business. As someone who has never play WoW...only Warcraft...It seems kind of silly. The first thing it made me think of is my 8 year old nephew would love this game. I know they are making game changes also but "Pandas" seem so out of place to me.[/QUOTE]

This is what I think about Pandas.

In a game that has playable minotaurs, spacegoats, zombies, werewolves, elves (both treehugger and crackhead varieties), midgets, dwarves, cannibal jamaican trolls, green orcs, money grubbing goblins, and humans with hairlips...also, let's not forget characters like BUDD and HARRISON JONES...suddenly Pandas are out of place and ridiculous? Hahaha. I don't think so. Pandas fit in perfectly.

Pandaren aren't a new race. I remember them from wc3 and vanilla had a few quests that refrenced them back in vanilla (Chen Stormstout's empty keg quest from the southern barrens, anyone?) Blizzard has admitted that they should have gone in during BC but just didn't fit the story (would have made FAR more sense than Space Goat Gypsies IMO)

I doubt my monk will be Pandaren (anyone for kung fu gnomes?) but i'm not upset about the race like some.

[quote name='thetruelokre']Pandaren aren't a new race. I remember them from wc3 and vanilla had a few quests that refrenced them back in vanilla (Chen Stormstout's empty keg quest from the southern barrens, anyone?) Blizzard has admitted that they should have gone in during BC but just didn't fit the story (would have made FAR more sense than Space Goat Gypsies IMO)

I doubt my monk will be Pandaren (anyone for kung fu gnomes?) but i'm not upset about the race like some.[/QUOTE]

It definitely fits with the lore. I think people that are saying that It's out of place probably haven't played enough WoW to see how wacky parts of it are. Personally, I don't care about the Pandarens but the instances look cool. Also heroic SM and scholomance is pretty awesome. If you play WoW this annual pass thing is a decent idea, since you are getting free items for just paying your normal bill. Definitely Blizzard aiming to keep people from jumping to TOR here.

I just wanted to point out that Diablo 3 also had its limited edition announced. I know some of you are saying you are tempted or on the fence, I thought the LE may stop some of you from doing this year sign up because you would rather have it then a regular digital copy.

The LE is supposed to be similar to the one done for Starcraft. Super nice box, GIANT detailed art book, a USB plug in shaped like a skull(not sure if its Diablos or what yet)and ofcourse the typical extras like a WoW pet(a Tyreal mount), making of DVD etc etc.

[quote name='MSI Magus']The LE is supposed to be similar to the one done for Starcraft. Super nice box, GIANT detailed art book, a USB plug in shaped like a skull(not sure if its Diablos or what yet)...[/QUOTE]The USB drive includes Diablo 2. Or are you saying you're unsure if the skull is shaped like Diablo's skull?

I don't see how anybody can't think this is a good deal if they already play wow. I think most of ya'll are looking at this wrong too. I don't think this promotion is for people who were going to get diablo III anyway. This is for people who are playing WoW now, and Blizzard is offering them a free game that they'll most likely get hooked on, while they're paying for something they'd pay for anyway. I think this is incredibly cool of blizzard.

[quote name='RoninChaos']I don't see how anybody can't think this is a good deal if they already play wow. I think most of ya'll are looking at this wrong too. I don't think this promotion is for people who were going to get diablo III anyway. This is for people who are playing WoW now, and Blizzard is offering them a free game that they'll most likely get hooked on, while they're paying for something they'd pay for anyway. I think this is incredibly cool of blizzard.[/QUOTE]
Oh I agree. Blizzard is doing something cool for those hardcore WoW players and well it's nice to see it. If your a hardcore WoW player who would pay for a year, then what's not to hate about it? Free game. Hell this is tempting for me who plays off and on just to get D3.

[quote name='thetruelokre']
rvCRI.jpg

just thought i'd leave this here...[/QUOTE]

040820122759_52.jpg

more proof that the only good Warcraft game was Warcraft 3.
WoW killed my beloved game

[quote name='Thrinn']The USB drive includes Diablo 2. Or are you saying you're unsure if the skull is shaped like Diablo's skull?[/QUOTE]

Yeah I was unsure what the skull actually looked like. And yep good point the LE comes with Diablo 2 as well.

[quote name='cRodz']more proof that the only good Warcraft game was Warcraft 3.
WoW killed my beloved game[/QUOTE]

His World of Warcraft rendition was pretty much the same actually:

23w6tfm.jpg

Of course, there's a striking difference in both games between their CGI and in-game graphics. WoW's in-game graphics are actually less cartoony than Warcraft 3's were...albeit not by very much. Did you miss that all of the races shown in that image were originally introduced in Warcraft 3?

bread's done
Back