What did I (almost) buy?

blueshinra

CAGiversary!
Feedback
14 (100%)
I originally wanted to post this on the gameSniped forums, but they seem to be down at the minute. Figuring there's a lot of collectors on CAG as well, I've posted here instead :p

Anyway, here's the story: I placed an order with Mandarake not too long ago, mainly for some doujinshi and an artbook. Mandarake requires a 5000 yen minimum for international orders, otherwise you get hit with a 500 yen handling fee. My order came to 4500 yen. I scoured the site looking for something to bring me over 5000 yen, and time and again came back to this.

I placed an order, including this CD-ROM set and a gorgeous figure at an amazing price that I found at the last minute. I got the figure, but not the CD-ROMs, which baffled me since the latter was new, and therefore less likely to go OOS (according to Mandarake) than the figure, which was preowned. So in the end, I wasn't hit with the fee, but now I won't know for sure what the CD-ROMs are.

Going by the picture in the listing, here's what I know:
- This set apparently dates from before Kingdom Hearts' release - the letter is dated November 5, 2001, and KH was released on March 28, 2002 in Japan.
- The letter from Disney Consumer Products is in English, not Japanese as one might expect. It doesn't seem to be addressed to a particular person, and may in fact be a form letter.
- Each of the CD-ROMs has different artwork, but they aren't numbered and there's nothing on them indicating what they contain (other than something Kingdom Hearts related).

My going theory is that it's a set of standard artwork and templates to be used by KH licensors for consumer products. The only problem with this is that there were/are very few KH licensors outside of Disney and Squaresoft (later Square Enix) themselves.

I am not a hardcore Kingdom Hearts collector, but I do find things like this intriguing. Any ideas?

I happen to be an expert when it comes to Kingdom Hearts (No, seriously, I'm the big bad admin in the biggest KH Group on Facebook.) But I don't think I have ever heard of such a thing existing... I've posted the link in said group, so hopefully someone there can provide an answer.

bread's done
Back