Surround Sound Gaming Headset

Vampire_Zio

CAGiversary!
Feedback
11 (100%)
I am in the market to purchase a Surround Sound gaming headset, with or without the mic. This headset would be for my computer which has no sound-card so a usb one without the need for batteries would be nice. I am not looking to drop 100 bucks on a set.

Any suggestions from any of you out there in the forums with a surround sound headset that works decently and is well priced.? :bouncy:

If you're not looking at spending more than $100, you're still looking at entry level sets. I've had a pair of X11s that I originally picked up about a year and a half ago for my 360/PC use that I was REALLY surprised with. Great sound, decent bass response, and comfortable for extended sessions. Picked up the updated model (X12) last week when I broke my old set, and am pleased with the redesign, mostly the same with 50mm drivers in place of the X11's 40mm. You won't get 5.1/7.1 without the additional DSS card, but even without, the headset performs exceptionally well. Best Buy carries them in all their stores for that instant gratification pickup as well.

http://www.turtlebeach.com/products/xbox-gaming-headsets/ear-force-x12.aspx

[quote name='halfbent']If you're not looking at spending more than $100, you're still looking at entry level sets. I've had a pair of X11s that I originally picked up about a year and a half ago for my 360/PC use that I was REALLY surprised with. Great sound, decent bass response, and comfortable for extended sessions. Picked up the updated model (X12) last week when I broke my old set, and am pleased with the redesign, mostly the same with 50mm drivers in place of the X11's 40mm. You won't get 5.1/7.1 without the additional DSS card, but even without, the headset performs exceptionally well. Best Buy carries them in all their stores for that instant gratification pickup as well.

http://www.turtlebeach.com/products/xbox-gaming-headsets/ear-force-x12.aspx[/QUOTE]

Yeah I am looking for something that will give me a nice surround quality without destroying my bank account heh. Ill take a peek into the ones you suggested. How did your old model break?

[quote name='Vampire_Zio']Yeah I am looking for something that will give me a nice surround quality without destroying my bank account heh. Ill take a peek into the ones you suggested. How did your old model break?[/QUOTE]

Pulling them off my head with only one earcup; where that wishbone attaches to the cup is where it broke. Can likely fix the set with some superglue, just haven't tried yet. The newer model looks like they have a small screw there to hold it instead of just a plastic pin.

[quote name='j-cart']Buy this and any desktop mic.

http://www.amazon.com/Technica-ATH-AD700-Open-air-Audiophile-Headphones/dp/B000CMS0XU

Blows any "gaming" headset out of the water.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='egonpax']For any gamers on a tighter budget I would recommend a cheap seperate mic and these:
Sennheiser HD 202 II Professional Headphones

I personally use the X11s and the Ear Force DSS (since I also play 360) which are a nice combo.[/QUOTE]
He asked for surround sets, not standard 2-channel headphones.

Granted, most headsets are "virtual" surround sound, but with no sound card in his rig, he doesn't need audiophile headphones, just a USB headset that virtualizes the sound.

With that in mind, I'd say the Logitech G35, or the Steelseries 5Hv2 USB version. They can be had for a decent price if you're willing to wait for a deal on them. Creative may have a USB virtual surround set as well, I'm not sure.

[quote name='Lawyers Guns N Money']He asked for surround sets, not standard 2-channel headphones.

Granted, most headsets are "virtual" surround sound, but with no sound card in his rig, he doesn't need audiophile headphones, just a USB headset that virtualizes the sound.

With that in mind, I'd say the Logitech G35, or the Steelseries 5Hv2 USB version. They can be had for a decent price if you're willing to wait for a deal on them. Creative may have a USB virtual surround set as well, I'm not sure.[/QUOTE]
He could also buy that Turtle Beach Ear Force USB adapter that turns any headphones into a 5.1/7.1 pair. I mean with a $20 pair of HD 202's and that, it's going to be around $95-100 for a surround sound setup. I have no clue how that works though, I am curious.

[quote name='Lawyers Guns N Money']He asked for surround sets, not standard 2-channel headphones.

With that in mind, I'd say the Logitech G35, or the Steelseries 5Hv2 USB version. They can be had for a decent price if you're willing to wait for a deal on them. Creative may have a USB virtual surround set as well, I'm not sure.[/QUOTE]

Oh right. I missed that.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']He could also buy that Turtle Beach Ear Force USB adapter that turns any headphones into a 5.1/7.1 pair. I mean with a $20 pair of HD 202's and that, it's going to be around $95-100 for a surround sound setup. I have no clue how that works though, I am curious.[/QUOTE]

This is what I was thinking. I have the Ear Force with the X11s (now replaced by the x12s) and It's a nice setup for both my PC and 360. I enjoy it.

bread's done
Back