Corona Indie Bundle iOS and Android - get 5 games and help charities!

Awesome! I liked Grisly Manner even though it was short. I'll pick this up for the rest of the games and to help out the carities.

Wow good find OP! I would have not found this if not for you. I'll pick this one up and hey maybe the CAG community can get them up over 100,000 downloads and we all get a 6th game, a lot like the Humble Indie Bundle, plus 17% of the proceeds go to charity which would be $17k (if they break the 100,000 mark) which is a nice chunk of change for charity. Cmon CAG community lets do it! (5 games for buck is cheap as hell, 6 games for a buck is slap me over the head stupid go go go!) :D

[quote name='monkeyz']Wow good find OP! I would have not found this if not for you. I'll pick this one up and hey maybe the CAG community can get them up over 100,000 downloads and we all get a 6th game, a lot like the Humble Indie Bundle, plus 17% of the proceeds go to charity which would be $17k (if they break the 100,000 mark) which is a nice chunk of change for charity. Cmon CAG community lets do it! (5 games for buck is cheap as hell, 6 games for a buck is slap me over the head stupid go go go!) :D[/QUOTE]
:rofl:

[quote name='Darknuke']those games look pretty lame imo. I'll pass. I got enough apps on my iphone anyway lol[/QUOTE]
Not gonna lie, they aren't great. I bought this a few weeks ago, and none of the games are really interesting for more than 20 minutes or so.

That said, I don't regret the purchase. It's the same with the Humble Indie Bundles: I usually don't love the games, but it's a decent way to support charities and indie game development.

Android version not downloading anything after I open the app. Tried wifi and 3G. I expect a patch or something will come soon...

My iPhone/iPad writer on my site reviewed Robot 99 last week I think, he seemed pretty fond of it (he rated it 8/10 so enough that I imagine he would recommend purchasing the bundle for that game with the other 4 (or possibly 5) as a bonus). Link to the review, if anyone is interested. I actually plan on emailing him about this soon as the website works... seems down at the moment.

these look like games I wouldn't even bother downloading for free, the giving x percent to charity trend is a genius marketing tactic. There are far better games free all the time in the app store...and man they are really being generous giving 17 percent(split 3 ways)-I wonder how they even came up with that number. 4/5 of the games have also been previously free according to appshopper. There are tons of indie games on the app store for a buck that are better than these that you can buy if you want to support "indie" developers. If you want to support charities you'd be better off just donating a buck directly to child's play then having 17% of the proceeds from a dollar sale split 3 ways.

[quote name='caltab']these look like games I wouldn't even bother downloading for free, the giving x percent to charity trend is a genius marketing tactic. There are far better games free all the time in the app store...and man they are really being generous giving 17 percent(split 3 ways)-I wonder how they even came up with that number. 4/5 of the games have also been previously free according to appshopper. There are tons of indie games on the app store for a buck that are better than these that you can buy if you want to support "indie" developers. If you want to support charities you'd be better off just donating a buck directly to child's play then having 17% of the proceeds from a dollar sale split 3 ways.[/QUOTE]

If they hit the 100,000 mark then each charity would receive around $5,666. That little bit adds up

[quote name='Brother Daz']If they hit the 100,000 mark then each charity would receive around $5,666. That little bit adds up[/QUOTE]

That would largely depend on how they define "proceeds"- gross or net. Also, 4 out of 5 of the games have been free in the past from what I can tell, so I'd be more impressed if all the proceeds went to charity. I am just not a fan of using charity to drive profits (and I do not consider "indie" developers to be charity).

@caltab: I also have links to each of the charities in to opening post if you're interested in donating to them directly (I'll provide them below too). Like you, I too have two of these games since they were offered for free at one time through Amazon's Deal of the Day promotion, but that doesn't mean everyone can get them for free now and there are plenty of people out there that may have missed out.

I can vouch from previous experience that:
*Walkabout is quite challenging and fun.
*Grisly Manor has little to no replay value, but is interesting the first play through.

Also, on the Android side of things, as far as I know, Robot 99 and Chickens Quest seem to be launching exclusively through this bundle. They both look fun as well. Float has a Free ad-supported version, the one included appears to be ad free.

I did a bit of research too in comparison to Humble Indie Bundle and the default split for charities is 30% for HiB with half of that going to Child's Play and the other half going to the Electronics Frontier Foundation. I think it's safe to say it didn't deviate much off that 30%.

The percentage thing could be a deal worked out with the indie devs to provide their games in the bundle. I remember reading an article about a dev that was part of the Humble Indie Bundle that spoke out about not being paid enough in their opinion. It's the world we live in, not everyone is willing to work for free, who knows if Amazon or Apple aren't taking their cut?

I couldn't find any solid numbers, but in all seriousness, I don't think Bliss, Child's Play, or Dispensario de Managua will complain that they're not getting as much as they would've with the Humble Indie Bundle.

Edit:
-----
(does not warrant having its own post)

@caltab below: Indie Bundle promotions are a good way to get your average gamer to donate to charities. There are many people that don't donate to any charities. Don't get me wrong, it's great that you will donate to charities, but you shouldn't discourage participation in promotions such as this. At the very least, they get the word out on the existence of these charities. I honestly would've never known about the Electronics Frontier Foundation, never heard of Bliss or Dispensario de Managua without these promotions. Also, besides World of Goo, which I already owned on the Wii at the time I purchased it, I haven't played any of the games from any of the Humble Bundles and I have all 5 bundles. I'm sure there are plenty of others like me too.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't like the humble bundles either. I am just not a big fan using charities to drive unrelated business sales. Sure the charities aren't hurt by these increasingly popular bundles, but I am selective in who I donate money to and try and research the organization and make sure they don't have things like absurd administrative expenses(which I am not saying is the case with these charities). I also try and donate as close to the cause as possible and cut out the middle men to ensure the money is really being used to make the difference I intended.

Here is a good site to research charities for those interested, it has information like how much the CEOs of some charities get paid.

http://www.charitynavigator.org/

[quote name='sykotek']
@caltab below: Indie Bundle promotions are a good way to get your average gamer to donate to charities. There are many people that don't donate to any charities. [/QUOTE]

I would agree if 100 percent of the profits from the sales of, in the case of 4 of these games, previously available for free games(at one point or another) went to the charities. Or at least more then 17 percent.

[quote name='caltab']I don't like the humble bundles either. I am just not a big fan using charities to drive unrelated business sales. Sure the charities aren't hurt by these increasingly popular bundles, but I am selective in who I donate money to and try and research the organization and make sure they don't have things like absurd administrative expenses(which I am not saying is the case with these charities). I also try and donate as close to the cause as possible and cut out the middle men to ensure the money is really being used to make the difference I intended.

Here is a good site to research charities for those interested, it has information like how much the CEOs of some charities get paid.

http://www.charitynavigator.org/[/QUOTE]

Is it a sales tactic? Of course. But how many of the sales are people who would have never even donated that dollar to charity (in any form) anyway? Once you consider the share that amazon/apple takes I'm sure the developers aren't getting much more than what is going to charity. Some gamers get some games, some developers get a couple of bucks (and some exposure) and some charities get some cash. Really not all that bad when you step back and look at it from a "everyone is getting something" rather than no one possibly getting nothing. It's great when companies donate to charity, but no serious company can stay in business for very long if they give away all of their product.

As for some of the games having at one time been free... plenty of apps on the app store go free for a day here and there, and for every person who downloads it on that day I'm sure three miss out. Just because it went free once in no way implies that the developer will do that again.

It's 5 (maybe 6) games for a buck, how good do they really have to be for it to be worth it?

[quote name='BudzMcGee'] Really not all that bad when you step back and look at it from a "everyone is getting something" rather than no one possibly getting nothing. [/QUOTE]

Fair enough and I do have to commend whoever came up with the idea- it has been an incredibly effective sales driver that charities do benefit from.

From what I know about child's play they seem to be a very solid charity with little admin expenses that users on a website like this can certainly get behind- I guess I just wish it didn't take gimmicky promotions to do it. I guess I was looking at these bundles too much from a personal perspective. As long as whoever puts on these types of promotions is honest no one is harmed. It's just not something I would put a lot of my personal money behind.

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back