Redbox raising prices 20% (yeah $.20) PROMO to save $.20 per rental now active

kklems

CAGiversary!
Feedback
58 (100%)
I posted about the Netflix price hike so I thought it was only fair to post that Redbox is raising it's price effective 10/31/11. The new price will be $1.20 per night

They will have two tiers from 10/31 to 11/30 of $1 for the first night and than $1.20 for each night thereafter. After 11/30/2011 the price will be $1.20 per disc per night. No change in blu-ray or video game prices at this time.

Also if you have any free promo codes use them before the price hike or you will have to pay the $.20 difference plus sales tax.

** 12/9/2011* New prices have taken effect of $1.20 per day and the discount for reserving online ends at the end the year but redbox is offering GC's in 5 and 10 rental amounts for $5 and $10 respectively. All the codes I have used since the change have taken $1.20 off. So it is like buy 5 g1 f. I do not see an expiration date so you could buy a bunch and save them to use throughout the year. Not a huge savings but if you rent once a week you would save $10 for the exact same amount of movies. Might make a nice stocking stuffer as well.

LINK https://premium.vcdelivery.com/redbox/

Oh and I read through the TC's and there is no expiration date.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='DestroVega']fuck that! I'm canceling!!!! there's cheaper things like torrents.[/QUOTE]

haha funy. We must all cancel our Redbox subscriptions.

I think this had been rolled out in some markets, because I remember seeing $1.20 the last few months I've used promo codes in Pittsburgh.

Yeah Austin already has had these prices for a month or two. Blu-rays and video games have still been the same price

A+short+haired+monkey+that+looks+like+a+fat+hamster.jpg

Thus begins the Monopolization takeover of the local rental business.

They're like the Wal-mart of rentals now (even more ironic since every Wal-mart has one in them). Run the local Blockbuster, Hollywood, and mom & pop stores out of town, then begin hiking up your prices little by little.

I received the E-mail as well, their exact quote for the reason is "The price change is due to rising operating expenses, including new increases in debit card fees"

Overall I still love Redbox, but I shudder to think of what will become of them in the next 5 years.

[quote name='DestroVega']fuck that! I'm canceling!!!! there's cheaper things like torrents.[/QUOTE]

But Torrents really suck ass!! I really think Torrents is so lame, a poor person's poor excuse to paying top tiered Internet Speed subscription so they can get free movies. I have a good enough internet speed, 12mb, I could opt for 20mb for extra 20 dollars, but instead save the discount and still get high definition streaming on Netflix, for a measly 8 dollars. I don't see any difference in quality when it is 12mb or 20mb. All my movies work every time and is easy to find. No chances of getting wrong movies, or incompatibility issues or viruses.

I'd also like to add, some people spend too much money on phones, such as smartphones that rack up their cell phones to be over $100 a month, then whine over .20 cents in RedBox increase or a little increase into their monthly Netflix plans, crying out-loud that there is too much increase when they downright spend so much on phones and don't whine and pay-up their monthly payments on cell phones. I think cell phones is one of most rip-off monthly payments out there. They're ones ripping you off, and many are like gullible guppies paying it like nothing and still pay month to month with their bulky un-bulked earnings to cell phone providers.

Saw this in an email. I only started Redbox games this past weekend, and those aren't affected so no biggie. Fan of it so far, got Driver: San Fran and Space Marine finished for $4 total. Hard to beat that =]

[quote name='IMikeU']Wait, people still rent dvd's? Blu's are staying the same price and that's good news for me.[/QUOTE]
Not everyone can afford a big nice LED/LCD or care about blu-ray, in most cases i don't care about blu-rays, and by that i mean unless the movie can actually benefit on blu-ray ill buy it on it, otherwise the way cheaper DVD version is fine by me (IE comedies etc.)

There is a reason DVDs still sell like crazy, not everyone is a huge AVS nerd.

This thread just earned a Laffy Taffy Halloween joke:

Q: Why did the boy crap his pants 6x more than last year while watching horror movies?

A: Because this year he watched them on Boo-ray.

I use redbox about twice a month if at all, so this isn't a big issue. But it is true that they mainly control the "in-store instant DVD rental" market (Blockbuster's dead, lets all be honest, Netflix takes 1-2 days to get ur movies by mail, Mom&Dad shops are rarer and rarer, etc), so they could raise prices easy in the next years to $2+ for DVDs and $3+ for games.

Right now, not a big deal, once the raise it to $1.50, its really adds up much faster.

[quote name='Samuelc79']But Torrents really suck ass!! I really think Torrents is so lame, a poor person's poor excuse to paying top tiered Internet Speed subscription so they can get free movies. I have a good enough internet speed, 12mb, I could opt for 20mb for extra 20 dollars, but instead save the discount and still get high definition streaming on Netflix, for a measly 8 dollars. I don't see any difference in quality when it is 12mb or 20mb. All my movies work every time and is easy to find. No chances of getting wrong movies, or incompatibility issues or viruses.

I'd also like to add, some people spend too much money on phones, such as smartphones that rack up their cell phones to be over $100 a month, then whine over .20 cents in RedBox increase or a little increase into their monthly Netflix plans, crying out-loud that there is too much increase when they downright spend so much on phones and don't whine and pay-up their monthly payments on cell phones. I think cell phones is one of most rip-off monthly payments out there. They're ones ripping you off, and many are like gullible guppies paying it like nothing and still pay month to month with their bulky un-bulked earnings to cell phone providers.[/QUOTE]

You are bad at detecting sarcasm.

[quote name='styl3s']Not everyone can afford a big nice LED/LCD or care about blu-ray, in most cases i don't care about blu-rays, and by that i mean unless the movie can actually benefit on blu-ray ill buy it on it, otherwise the way cheaper DVD version is fine by me (IE comedies etc.)

There is a reason DVDs still sell like crazy, not everyone is a huge AVS nerd.[/QUOTE]

You don't have to be an AVS nerd to appreciate the quality of a blu-ray movie. The reason DVDs sell are:
1) They are cheaper than blu-rays.
2) Most people already have a DVD player and don't wish to spend more to upgrade.

If a DVD player was capable of playing blu-rays and if blu-rays and DVDs were identically priced then I guarantee you no one will ever buy a DVD even for those comedy movies that people say is not worth an upgrade.

[quote name='62t']Watching a comedy in Blu Ray doesn't make in any funnier.[/QUOTE]

I can tell you haven't watched movies on blu-ray for a length of time. If you just watch 1 blu-ray movie for every 5 dvds you won't realize the difference. Watch movies on blu-ray for like a couple of months and then switch back to DVDs. That's when you'll notice the difference. Also, blu-ray for a regular 1970s movie is just way way better than its DVD counterpart.

[quote name='62t']Watching a comedy in Blu Ray doesn't make in any funnier.[/QUOTE]

I beg to differ. For instance, in the movie Animal House, the finely detailed pieces of cottage cheese flying from John Bellushi's mouth can really only be experienced on Blu-ray.

[quote name='Kerig']This thread just earned a Laffy Taffy Halloween joke:

Q: Why did the boy crap his pants 6x more than last year while watching horror movies?

A: Because this year he watched them on Boo-ray.[/QUOTE]
More like Poo-ray, am I right?

I'm not too concerned with the price raise since I rarely use Redbox (still holding on to that Blockbuster subscription 'til the ship sinks) but I do frequently use their monthly free rental codes. I don't think I've gotten one in a while so it kind of stinks if they're going to do away with that perk due to the price increase.

I rarely use Redbox. But this is just another example of being nickle and dimed by large corporations. At such a small price, most people will continue to use their services. Revenue on the other hand, now 20% up. For the individual, we dont see it as much of a lost, but for the corportation its a win.

No big deal, though it is an odd price. I've still yet to use Redbox though. Just can't be bothered with picking up the movie and being sure to return it within 24 hours, so I stick with my Netflix mail rentals.

[quote name='dmaul1114']No big deal, though it is an odd price. I've still yet to use Redbox though. Just can't be bothered with picking up the movie and being sure to return it within 24 hours, so I stick with my Netflix mail rentals.[/QUOTE]

I agree. I work next to where one is located and still never bothered using it.

[quote name='caltab']my market has been 1.10 for a long time, not too big of a deal for me.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='jmillion']not bad raise[/QUOTE]
You are the 1%. ;)

I work for Redbox and I gotta say the raise does suck, but it's still a good deal and the only price raise in 8 years. Where else can you get a hour and half worth of entertainment for $1.25. I also give out free rental codes all the time. As long as you are not a jerk about it I usually give them out when I'm asked.

[quote name='zatfish']I work for Redbox and I gotta say the raise does suck, but it's still a good deal and the only price raise in 8 years. Where else can you get a hour and half worth of entertainment for $1.25. I also give out free rental codes all the time. As long as you are not a jerk about it I usually give them out when I'm asked.[/QUOTE]

Question for you Redbox employee - I'm selling band hero bundle on craigslist and some dude offered me a bunch of games for it.

"Now the games I bought at redbox which are also still in new condition just come in redbox cases and do t have instructions are as follows,call of Juarez the cartel,space marine,infamous 2,spider-man the edge of time,nba2k12,ace combat assault horizon,dark souls,and resistance 3"

I'm assuming this guy stole all of those. (in theory he could have never returned and paid $50, but thats unlikely).

If he most likely stole them, do you have a loss prevention investigative team or do you just accept that kinda stuff as a cost of doing business?

[quote name='zatfish']I work for Redbox and I gotta say the raise does suck, but it's still a good deal and the only price raise in 8 years. Where else can you get a hour and half worth of entertainment for $1.25. I also give out free rental codes all the time. As long as you are not a jerk about it I usually give them out when I'm asked.[/QUOTE]

Why U no have 360 version of game when I decide to rent game from redbox?

I only have been renting games from redbox and it;s the same too, so I'm fine with that. And honestly .20 really isn't that bad of a rise for the convenience redbox is for people like me. Credit/Debit card fees are becoming more and more of a bitch.

I promise I am not a jerk (well most the time). Can I have a code :: Just kidding. It is still a good value but now blockbuster will be cheaper (if you still have one nearby) for non new releases. New releases are still cheaper at redbox but redbox doesn't seem to get them for 30 days anyway due to licensing agreements with the studios and rights holders.

I do have a question regarding codes: In the past the code has always been worth a dollar and could be used for a free movie, $.50 blu ray or $1 for the first night video game. Will the codes still be worth a dollar or will raises the "value" to $1.25. I still have a dozen or so free codes from the orville redenbaucher popcorn boxes and was just curious since I haven't rented since the price change.

[quote name='Pookymeister']Question for you Redbox employee - I'm selling band hero bundle on craigslist and some dude offered me a bunch of games for it.

"Now the games I bought at redbox which are also still in new condition just come in redbox cases and do t have instructions are as follows,call of Juarez the cartel,space marine,infamous 2,spider-man the edge of time,nba2k12,ace combat assault horizon,dark souls,and resistance 3"

I'm assuming this guy stole all of those. (in theory he could have never returned and paid $50, but thats unlikely).

If he most likely stole them, do you have a loss prevention investigative team or do you just accept that kinda stuff as a cost of doing business?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, he probably stole those somehow. One method they use is peeling off the bar-code sticker and putting it on their crappy game and non gamer redbox employees don't know too much of a difference. These usually get caught but it make takes weeks to do so. Or he could of used a money card and put $20 on it and rented those games and never brought them back. We are starting to stop people from using money cards that we can't track. But in the long run we are making a lot more than we are losing with the games.

[quote name='kklems']I promise I am not a jerk (well most the time). Can I have a code :: Just kidding. It is still a good value but now blockbuster will be cheaper (if you still have one nearby) for non new releases. New releases are still cheaper at redbox but redbox doesn't seem to get them for 30 days anyway due to licensing agreements with the studios and rights holders.

I do have a question regarding codes: In the past the code has always been worth a dollar and could be used for a free movie, $.50 blu ray or $1 for the first night video game. Will the codes still be worth a dollar or will raises the "value" to $1.25. I still have a dozen or so free codes from the orville redenbaucher popcorn boxes and was just curious since I haven't rented since the price change.[/QUOTE]

I know the codes still work but I haven't seen or heard a customer say anything about using them for the Blu Rays and Games, so I'm not too sure about that.

It's still cheaper than Blockbuster Express's new 3-2-1 pricing that goes into effect on 11/8. $3 for new releases for the first 28 days. After 28 days, Recent releases are $2. After 90 days from release, movies are $1.

[quote name='kklems']I posted about the Netflix price hike so I thought it was only fair to post that Redbox is raising it's price effective 10/31/11. The new price will be $1.20 per night

They will have two tiers from 10/31 to 11/30 of $1 for the first night and than $1.20 for each night thereafter. After 11/30/2011 the price will be $1.20 per disc per night. No change in blu-ray or video game prices at this time.

Also if you have any free promo codes use them before the price hike or you will have to pay the $.20 difference plus sales tax.[/QUOTE]

QR6my.gif

On their website it says if you reserve the movie online its still just $1 for the first day.

[quote name='kklems']Will the codes still be worth a dollar or will raises the "value" to $1.25. I still have a dozen or so free codes from the orville redenbaucher popcorn boxes and was just curious since I haven't rented since the price change.[/QUOTE]

I received my monthly text free rental code today and rented Fast Five on BD. The code took off $1.20 so I only had to pay 30cents instead of the usual 50cents.

Your older popcorn codes might only be coded for $1 off, though, since those were generated before the new prices.

I think I'll just keep buying used BR's at Blockbuster for $4, pain in the ass to go to Redbox the next day unless it's right around the corner from you.

I'd use the Redbox machines more here in my town if they had more Blus. Selection in that regard is terrible. (There's three machines in my town.)

bread's done
Back