Castlevania Dawn of Sorrow $23.34 on Amazon, eligible for Prime

Ugh, I had no idea that cover existed. And here I thought this decision would be easy. Why do publishers ever think shrinking the artwork is a good look? Still, for this game I really can't pass it up; it's the only GBA/DS Castlevania I'm missing.

[quote name='nitman99']Ugh, I had no idea that cover existed. And here I thought this decision would be easy. Why do publishers ever think shrinking the artwork is a good look? Still, for this game I really can't pass it up; it's the only GBA/DS Castlevania I'm missing.[/QUOTE]

yeah it's hideous. i suppose we could contact the seller.

I'm essentially over the whole cover thing these days, but I get it.

For those of you who don't mind the cover (it is wonky admittedly) I say go for it. It's a pretty good game. I personally like Aria of Sorrow (its GBA predecessor) more but this is still good, solid modern Castlevania. Oh, and if you have a DS or DS Lite you get a bonus item if you have Aria of Sorrow in the cart slot when you start the game.

I did the work for you guys ;) Sent this message to the seller:

Greetings,

I am inquiring about one of your products that you are selling which is Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow for the Nintendo DS http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0009Z3K9E/ref=nosim/cheapassgam08-20 . I was wondering if this game includes the original game case cover or if it is the "Konami's Best" game cover (To tell the difference, if it has the words konami's best stamped on the game cover. If it doesn't then it is the original cover). I and several others from a popular gaming forum are interested in purchasing copies from you, but this was our main question/concern before doing so. A speedy reply would be appreciated!

Let you all know as soon as I get a response.

[quote name='kosmos13x']I did the work for you guys ;) Sent this message to the seller:

Greetings,

I am inquiring about one of your products that you are selling which is Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow for the Nintendo DS http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0009Z3K9E/ref=nosim/cheapassgam08-20 . I was wondering if this game includes the original game case cover or if it is the "Konami's Best" game cover (To tell the difference, if it has the words konami's best stamped on the game cover. If it doesn't then it is the original cover). I and several others from a popular gaming forum are interested in purchasing copies from you, but this was our main question/concern before doing so. A speedy reply would be appreciated!

Let you all know as soon as I get a response.[/QUOTE]

thanks. theres one in my cart waiting to be checked out.

[quote name='confoosious']thanks. theres one in my cart waiting to be checked out.[/QUOTE]

haha doing the exact same thing :p

My poor ass decision of selling the game a few years ago has always haunted me. Hopefully this turns out to be the real deal (cover wise).

DS games go into the official nintendo ds cartridge wallet. Ginormous cases are on a shelf somewhere. You guys are particularly nuts. Also deal == dead.

Yep, looks like someone bought the cheap copy, and now the price is $36.xx. There's another copy, though, from someone who claims it's "new, not factory sealed." $20 + standard shipping rate from a user with 80% positive on 5 feedback...

I was fortunate enough to pick this up for $5 when Movie Gallery went bankrupt. Now, if I could only find Order of Ecclesia for cheap, I'd have a full collection...

[quote name='kosmos13x']haha doing the exact same thing :p

My poor ass decision of selling the game a few years ago has always haunted me. Hopefully this turns out to be the real deal (cover wise).[/QUOTE]

I did the same thing 5 years ago. Sold it to Gamestop for $25, and I still regret it.

Highly recommend this game, it's probably my favorite DS game. Really great level design with an intricate RPG soul collection system.

I don't mind the Konami's Best reprint of this game. I'm still kicking myself for not picking up that copy. Ended up with a cartridge only years later from Gamestop.

Since Nintendo is being stubborn about adding GBA games on
virtual console, which I guess means DS games are a long ways
off....

...I really wish Konami would re-release all of the DS games, as a set,
as well as a set including all of the GBA games.

Of course, my dream is a Castlevania Classical Collection, featuring all
of the games, for home consoles.

Hrm, I haven't played any of these yet, but the Gamestop a mile away lists having used copies of all 3. I imagine they are mostly cart only but hey, maybe a B2G1F will come along soon. I think they also had a copy of Mario v DK 2.

To rub more dirt in for those who missed, here's the seller's reply:

Hello,
Yes, this is the original version that appears on the Amazon page. This is not the reprint with "Konami's Best" on the cover.
I hope this helps - thanks!!!

Glad I ordered it when I did.

[quote name='nitman99']To rub more dirt in for those who missed, here's the seller's reply:

Hello,
Yes, this is the original version that appears on the Amazon page. This is not the reprint with "Konami's Best" on the cover.
I hope this helps - thanks!!!

Glad I ordered it when I did.[/QUOTE]

Hm, I wonder if they reprinted it with the original cover. Did you happen to order any extra copies perchance?

[quote name='cheeky']Hm, I wonder if they reprinted it with the original cover. Did you happen to order any extra copies perchance?[/QUOTE]
Yeah, it makes you wonder why it would just pop up suddenly. Seems like they had around 20 copies and they sold them all within a few hours. Maybe they just found them lying around inn the warehouse? And no, I bought just the one, sorry.

I'll keep this thread open for a few more days on the off chance that the seller relists the item.

[quote name='confoosious']very tempted but I'm afraid it turns out to be a Konami's Best cover.[/QUOTE]

At least it's not as bad as the JP Konami's best covers.

They print the prices on the cover art itself all over it, and then the Konami's best logo is all over the place, and there's red bars everywhere.

So it could be worse. :p

Just play the game, folks ;) If you've had a hard time finding it in the past then get it now, enjoy it, then trade or sell it. If a first release copy shows up then buy it for your collection if you feel so inclined afterward. :)

This is coming from a guy who was so anal about collecting the Japanese PS1 Choro Q games that I went so far as to make sure the jewel case was from the original release. Those cases had two small flanges in the inner corners which helped to keep the game manual flat against the front of the jewel case. I owned three copies of the second Choro Q game :p

Just a heads up, the seller has put up more copies, now at $29.75. The copy I got was the original cover, so if you've had a particularly tough time finding this one I'd keep it mind. Or you could mark this on your wishlist and see if the seller drops the price later on.

[quote name='nitman99']Just a heads up, the seller has put up more copies, now at $29.75. The copy I got was the original cover, so if you've had a particularly tough time finding this one I'd keep it mind. Or you could mark this on your wishlist and see if the seller drops the price later on.[/QUOTE]

eco case or not?

I remember a reseller all of the sudden got Hand of the Heavenly Bride in stock and it was an eco case, which told us it wasn't a first print.

Thanks picked up a copy (this time! haha). Btw, did get a response from the seller also a few days back (think someone already beat me to the answer though so didn't bother). But just to confirm, the seller said these are the original non-konami best versions.

There's your triple confirmation on that ;)

[quote name='abhinav']Highly recommend this game, it's probably my favorite DS game. Really great level design with an intricate RPG soul collection system.[/QUOTE]

Best one IMO. This game is amazing and has a ton of replay value.
I loved going through the game with the other characters (for you SotN fans, you get to play as Alucard!)

Can't recommend this game enough... shame it went back up $30 now.

When I re-bought the game, sure enough, the Konami's Best cover.. But, the case never really left the shelf. I don't display my game boxes, and don't know anyone that does (outside of limited edition/collector's cases that are too big for the shelf) except.. stores. They could put Meatspin on the box and I wouldn't care, doesn't make the game any less great.

The only thing that bothered me about the move to DS from GBA was the art style. Not a fan of the anime look they gave everyone. But even still, outside of the text boxes with the person's picture on it, the art didn't affect the game either. A gem, and worth every dime, no matter how much it is.

You guys could go to Kinkos or Office Max and print the cover with some expensive paper and slip it in. There was a thread on another forum where these guys printed Japanese box art for Uncharted 2 and the like just for the hell of it.

Sounds like a win-win. You just need to find a pic of the full art and cut carefully.

EDIT: seems I've been beaten to the punch.

[quote name='Mahgin86']When I re-bought the game, sure enough, the Konami's Best cover.. But, the case never really left the shelf. I don't display my game boxes, and don't know anyone that does (outside of limited edition/collector's cases that are too big for the shelf) except.. stores. They could put Meatspin on the box and I wouldn't care, doesn't make the game any less great.

The only thing that bothered me about the move to DS from GBA was the art style. Not a fan of the anime look they gave everyone. But even still, outside of the text boxes with the person's picture on it, the art didn't affect the game either. A gem, and worth every dime, no matter how much it is.[/QUOTE]
I feel the same way about the anime art style that you do the Konami's Best cover. Just kidding.

My only complaint about the series is how it's sort of left unfinished with the new canon. I love IGA's rendition of Castlevania. If they made it darker, with more innocent people being turned into vampires a la Annette in Dracula X Chronicles, I'd be like, "UH OOOOOOOH!!!!" You know what I mean?

I just wish Julius would hook up with Yoko, and I want want to know what happens to Soma.

Sweet, got my copy and it's the original cover. Wish I would have jumped on it at the earlier price of $23.34, but no biggie, I wanted it in my collection.

bread's done
Back