* * * * * 5 votes

ROCKSMITH 2014 Remastered Deals **** OG Rocksmith for $9, PC only ****

Rocksmith Rocksmith 2014 Guitar Bass real guitar real bass

#571 crazedracerguy   Guitar Slinger! CAGiversary!   5517 Posts   Joined 11.5 Years Ago  

crazedracerguy

Posted 01 January 2012 - 01:57 AM

When you say mastered. Are you referring to the point you unlocked the amp or maxing the bar up to 100k+?

All phrases maxed out and over 100.000 RSP. The bar turns purple.

Got "Go With the Flow", as well, today. My fingers are sore as shit.

#572 crazedracerguy   Guitar Slinger! CAGiversary!   5517 Posts   Joined 11.5 Years Ago  

crazedracerguy

Posted 01 January 2012 - 02:04 AM

Ultimately, the only way to get better is to practice beyond the point of tedium. If it's not starting to get boring, you're not working hard enough. The mini games will really probably help you more than anything because they're fundamental things that nobody likes practicing under usual circumstances. Night of the Living Chordead is really great because you'll learn a lot of chords and get comfortable with finger placement. In the end, the more you play, the better you'll get.

This x100,000...

I did just events for a long time. I hardly touch events now. I go back in and practice, practice, practice songs to try to master them. I started with TDG "I Hate Everything..." because it's one of my favorite songs. I then went back and worked on other songs I liked, but the ultimate goal is unlocking master mode and playing without cues...

The more time you spend in the guitarcade, the better you'll become. That's stuff that no one likes to do/learn, but it's the basis of all you'll ever do on guitar.

I still have problems on solos - I'm old and my fingers aren't as quick anymore, so I just spend a lot of time in Riff Repeater to get them to 100%. I use a combination of leveler and free speed. It seems to work. I have actually come to appreciate, somewhat, the 5 lives, since it gives me a short break to run through the notes I've learned while it loads.

#573 DeathDream   Sadistic CAGiversary!   527 Posts   Joined 8.4 Years Ago  

Posted 01 January 2012 - 02:25 AM

I finally unlocked Night of the Living Corddead yesterday. For anyone wanting to know how I unlocked it, just play a round of the technique challenge for cords. I got a gold on my second try and got the mini game. Not sure if you get it once you play the challenge or if you have to get gold.

Either way, the Corddead game is hard. I keep putting my fingers on the wrong cords as if the thing was flipped differently.

#574 Keegs   Owl + Bungee Cord CAGiversary!   128 Posts   Joined 9.3 Years Ago  

Posted 01 January 2012 - 07:26 PM

The problem here is you're looking at it as a game. In actuality, these are just really comprehensive lessons. After "beating" a song, you SHOULD go back and play it again. If anything, the game here is beating your score each time because that means you're learning the song.

Yeah, it might be fun to move on to the next song and just continue through the game. But that's like the difference between learning and memorizing before you take a test. Memorizing isn't going to do you any good down the road. But if you take the time to actually learn it and drill it into your brain, you can call back on it any time you want, even when you're not playing the game.

Ultimately, the only way to get better is to practice beyond the point of tedium. If it's not starting to get boring, you're not working hard enough. The mini games will really probably help you more than anything because they're fundamental things that nobody likes practicing under usual circumstances. Night of the Living Chordead is really great because you'll learn a lot of chords and get comfortable with finger placement. In the end, the more you play, the better you'll get.

Yea, i guess that's my question. I want to use this more as a tool than a game. I'm not worried about points I just want to know the best way to practice. You've given me some good tips though, which is the feedback I was looking for :D.

Chords suck! haha. I do feel like I'm improving everytime I start the game so I guess I'm doing something right. I might buck up for a few lessons, too.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#575 aFrostyONE   Grumpy Old Year 1 player... get off my server! CAGiversary!   3035 Posts   Joined 10.4 Years Ago  

aFrostyONE

Posted 02 January 2012 - 10:33 AM

Amazon continues to hold @ $60. Too bad they're the only game in town this week. No store adverstised an RS sale this week.

On a sidenote, BB advertised a new instrument adapter for ios devices @ $15 by Woodees
http://www.bestbuy.c...odees&cp=1&lp=1
Figuered I would risk it if just to be able to use Garageband on my ipad.

First tried the free app from Woodees. Kinda interesting because they're doing something similar to RS. They actually do something that I hope gets patched into RS which is the ability to play the full note version of a song w/out it removing notes. Plus, it lets you adjust the speed of the song.

Anyway, problem with the cable is that I could never get it to register the notes. Tried with the Dean first and the built-in tuner never registered properly. Even though I checked with my Korg tuner and the guitar was fine. Then tried with the Damien. Still wouldn't register notes but at least it recognized that the guitar WAS in tune.

Then fired up Garageband. And while it did pick up the guitars signal, it was very weak. Pretty much pointless as the sound coming off the strings was louder than what was processed thru the ipad.

Maybe I got a bad one or never figured it out properly. Regardless, I got fed up. Wasted a bunch of RS time on the stupid thing. Gonna return it tomorrow.

Also saw my first ever RB3 squier while at BB. Out of curiosity, I asked for a price. Nobody knew and their computer system wasn't showing any info for it either. I was too lazy to try checking at the front register. May try again when I go to return the Woodees cable

#576 crazedracerguy   Guitar Slinger! CAGiversary!   5517 Posts   Joined 11.5 Years Ago  

crazedracerguy

Posted 02 January 2012 - 12:47 PM

Also saw my first ever RB3 squier while at BB. Out of curiosity, I asked for a price. Nobody knew and their computer system wasn't showing any info for it either. I was too lazy to try checking at the front register. May try again when I go to return the Woodees cable

I'd see if I could swindle their asses into giving it to me for the price of a regular Squier. At $150 or so, it'd be a steal.

#577 simmias   Likely to be eaten by a grue CAGiversary!   4695 Posts   Joined 9.2 Years Ago  

Posted 02 January 2012 - 02:42 PM

I'd see if I could swindle their asses into giving it to me for the price of a regular Squier. At $150 or so, it'd be a steal.

That guitar is a real POS. I got one for $200, and I still feel ripped off ;)

I guess you could turn around and flip it to an achievement/trophy whore or Harmonix fanboy, though. You'd probably make out pretty well.

#578 aFrostyONE   Grumpy Old Year 1 player... get off my server! CAGiversary!   3035 Posts   Joined 10.4 Years Ago  

aFrostyONE

Posted 03 January 2012 - 12:02 AM

That guitar is a real POS. I got one for $200, and I still feel ripped off ;)

Took care of the Woodees cable return and asked again about the RB3 Squier. This worker was pretty informed and confirmed it rings up at $280:roll:

No thank you. I'm much happier with my $239 Damien + RS;)

Did like that the worker told me to not bother with the Squier at that price and took me over to Rocksmith:)

#579 scblueeyedguy   Future Gadget Laboratory Technician CAGiversary!   2736 Posts   Joined 9.0 Years Ago  

scblueeyedguy

Posted 03 January 2012 - 03:32 AM

I actually did a flip on the RB3 Squier. I ended up making $65(plus RZ points and cash back on my cc) after buying it and shipping it. The chick loved it and even mentioned she used Rocksmith with it. She paid more than the current price of the Damien.

#580 Pookymeister   I like almonds Super Moderators   15501 Posts   Joined 12.9 Years Ago  

Pookymeister

Posted 04 January 2012 - 02:08 AM

got my damien today, looks pretty good. Seems like the fret edges are a little sharp though, not enough to cut but definitely more noticeable that my other guitar.

#581 aFrostyONE   Grumpy Old Year 1 player... get off my server! CAGiversary!   3035 Posts   Joined 10.4 Years Ago  

aFrostyONE

Posted 04 January 2012 - 11:46 AM

Amazon is holding RS @ $60 for both Posted ImagePosted Image
Also just realized that they have RS listed under their "New Year, New You" sale, right alongside Just dance and Zumba Fitness:lol:. So it's a fact that learning guitar makes a new person out of you and all for the low, low price of $59.99;)
http://www.amazon.co...&pf_rd_i=468642

And digging thru a few music sites, I found a Les paul Special I on sale for $129. Reviews seem really positive mainly because it come with P90 pickups in the neck and bridge positions where the Special II uses humbuckers

Now I've read enough to know that having P90 pickups at this low of a price is a good thing. But can a more experienced CAG explain why?

LINK: http://www.guitarcen...854-i2101231.gc

I actually did a flip on the RB3 Squier. I ended up making $65(plus RZ points and cash back on my cc) after buying it and shipping it. The chick loved it and even mentioned she used Rocksmith with it. She paid more than the current price of the Damien.

Worked out for you. But that lady sounds crazy to me. Oh well, to each their own

got my damien today, looks pretty good. Seems like the fret edges are a little sharp though, not enough to cut but definitely more noticeable that my other guitar.

Funny, didn't notice it on mine until I ran my fingertips along the ege of the fretboard. Kinda like it catches the ridges on my fingers. But it's only on the bottom edge on a few frets. And I don't notice it if run my palm along it

#582 egonpax   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   942 Posts   Joined 13.8 Years Ago  

Posted 04 January 2012 - 04:39 PM

Lucky for you, Amazon hit the release valve;)
Schecter Damien Special is now $400. Guess someone woke up over there

Whew. While I'm happy with my Dean Vendetta XMT (especially for the price,) I'm a bit upset I didn't wait a bit longer and pick up the Schecter Damien instead. However, I'm also kind of glad it went up to $400 because if it didn't I would have another electric that I didn't "need." :)

The most negative thing about the Dean XMT is that my D String has terrible fret buzz. I tried working on it just a little bit, but I'm not an expert in working on guitars. I was thinking about taking it in to Guitar Center for them to fix.

#583 tadrow   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   25 Posts   Joined 13.2 Years Ago  

Posted 04 January 2012 - 04:58 PM

Now I've read enough to know that having P90 pickups at this low of a price is a good thing. But can a more experienced CAG explain why?

Just a different sound really, I'm sure you can find samples on the net of P90's vs humbuckers. P90s are single coil, so you'll get more hum with them in certain situations. Originally humbuckers were actually developed to replace single coil pickups for that reason.

For what it's worth, I've got P90's in my Gibson LP, I love the sound, but I wouldn't really say it's a "better" sound, just different.

#584 aFrostyONE   Grumpy Old Year 1 player... get off my server! CAGiversary!   3035 Posts   Joined 10.4 Years Ago  

aFrostyONE

Posted 04 January 2012 - 08:12 PM

Just a different sound really, I'm sure you can find samples on the net of P90's vs humbuckers. P90s are single coil, so you'll get more hum with them in certain situations. Originally humbuckers were actually developed to replace single coil pickups for that reason.

For what it's worth, I've got P90's in my Gibson LP, I love the sound, but I wouldn't really say it's a "better" sound, just different.

Gotcha. Thanks Tadrow.

So pretty much comes down to the sound you want to achieve.

#585 mattandprevail   CAG Veteran CAG Veteran   10 Posts   Joined 6.2 Years Ago  

mattandprevail

Posted 05 January 2012 - 05:07 PM

awesome! been waiting for this. missed the holiday rocksmith deals.

#586 Jackie Chandler   Jamanandayo! CAGiversary!   3162 Posts   Joined 9.0 Years Ago  

Jackie Chandler

Posted 05 January 2012 - 05:22 PM

I have determined, after playing the game for the first time yesterday, that I have the girliest fingers that belong to a man ever. After half an hour of playing (and this is just through the tutorial and the simple stuff) I could already feel blisters forming on my pointer and middle finger (which I'd been alternating to use for frets, since it hurt to use just one for too long). I only put fifteen more minutes into it before I pretty much had to stop, lest my fingers literally start bleeding. O_o Is this natural?

#587 deathb10w   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   326 Posts   Joined 11.3 Years Ago  

Posted 05 January 2012 - 05:35 PM

I have determined, after playing the game for the first time yesterday, that I have the girliest fingers that belong to a man ever. After half an hour of playing (and this is just through the tutorial and the simple stuff) I could already feel blisters forming on my pointer and middle finger (which I'd been alternating to use for frets, since it hurt to use just one for too long). I only put fifteen more minutes into it before I pretty much had to stop, lest my fingers literally start bleeding. O_o Is this natural?

I may be in the minority, but I've put about 8 hours into the game, 2 and a half last night, without any blisters. I've never played guitar and was fully expecting them after seeing people talk about the discomfort, but it has yet to happen. I feel slight sensitivity on 2 of my fingertips, but nothing that stops me from playing or causes me any discomfort through the day. I plan to play some more here shortly.

#588 mightymek   Welcome to the Gutter CAGiversary!   5300 Posts   Joined 8.8 Years Ago  

Posted 05 January 2012 - 05:35 PM

Yep, I just started playing with my band again after 8 years and when we had our first practice a couple months ago, my fingers were killing me. I had blisters for weeks. The more you play, the easier it is on your fingers.

13374.png

Scars of Life is back in 2013. As heard on the UFC!
New album A HEART STILL BEATS is out now!  Be sure to check us out on iTunes: http://itunes.apple....-life/id6136926

#589 austenwithane   Write Something Clever CAGiversary!   228 Posts   Joined 9.2 Years Ago  

austenwithane

Posted 05 January 2012 - 05:54 PM

It's natural, just ask Bryan Adams:

"Got my first real six-string, bought it at the 5 and dime. Played it 'til my fingers bled. Was the summer of '69."

:bouncy:

Good... Bad... I'm the guy with the gun. - Ash

#590 Jackie Chandler   Jamanandayo! CAGiversary!   3162 Posts   Joined 9.0 Years Ago  

Jackie Chandler

Posted 05 January 2012 - 06:02 PM

Haha, all right. Thanks guys. I'll definitely keep at it. :D

#591 bill123   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1202 Posts   Joined 12.1 Years Ago  

Posted 05 January 2012 - 08:04 PM

Hey guys I just ordered the Dean vendetta from guitar center and will be picking it up tomorrow. Question for you is what will come in the box? Just want be prepared when I go get it. Will I need to buy a pick and strap for it or does it come with some cheap ones? any help will be appreciated.

55877.png
563306.png

#592 austenwithane   Write Something Clever CAGiversary!   228 Posts   Joined 9.2 Years Ago  

austenwithane

Posted 05 January 2012 - 08:10 PM

I just picked up Squier Strat lefty from Guitar Center (one of the only affordable decent left handed guitars I could find - arrgggh I hate being left handed some days) and all I got was the Guitar. Bought a cheap strap, and they threw in some Guitar Center branded picks when I asked.

Hope that helps!

Hey guys I just ordered the Dean vendetta from guitar center and will be picking it up tomorrow. Question for you is what will come in the box? Just want be prepared when I go get it. Will I need to buy a pick and strap for it or does it come with some cheap ones? any help will be appreciated.

#593 egonpax   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   942 Posts   Joined 13.8 Years Ago  

Posted 05 January 2012 - 08:17 PM

The only thing you'll be getting is the box, some wrapping, and the guitar with strings. You'll need to pick up your own strap, pick, stand, tuner, etc. Besides the strap and pick anything other than that isn't necessary.

Two tips.

1. Before you pick up the guitar, walk up to the counter and ask for a pick so you can check out a few guitars. Then bam! free Guitar Center pick. :) You'll probably need more picks than one though (they're easy to lose.)

EDIT: Or you can do what the poster above did and just ask for some free picks. :)

2. If you want, check the guitar before you leave the store. See if there any problems especially with fret buzz. If you don't know what to check for, ask one of the employees. They may be able to help you with that.

#594 boneless   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1684 Posts   Joined 9.6 Years Ago  

Posted 06 January 2012 - 06:24 AM

Looking at some low budget guitars. At least I have the option to return it if I don't like it but the reviews seem a little too positive. What do you guys think of these?

http://www.bestbuy.c...=1#BVRRWidgetID

http://www.bestbuy.c...customerreviews

#595 BrolyB593   instagram.com/britton_draws CAGiversary!   7606 Posts   Joined 10.5 Years Ago  

Posted 06 January 2012 - 07:25 AM

I just picked up Squier Strat lefty from Guitar Center (one of the only affordable decent left handed guitars I could find - arrgggh I hate being left handed some days) and all I got was the Guitar. Bought a cheap strap, and they threw in some Guitar Center branded picks when I asked.

Hope that helps!

When I was in Junior High School and my Grandpa purchased me my first guitar and I started lessons, I naturally held the guitar in a left handed position (I am ambidextrous). My grandpa said "Left handed guitars are hard to find and expensive, so you are better off just forcing yourself to learn to play right handed." I did just as he said and now almost 10 years later it is so foreign feeling to even hold a guitar left handed!

#596 aFrostyONE   Grumpy Old Year 1 player... get off my server! CAGiversary!   3035 Posts   Joined 10.4 Years Ago  

aFrostyONE

Posted 06 January 2012 - 10:52 AM

Looking at some low budget guitars. At least I have the option to return it if I don't like it but the reviews seem a little too positive. What do you guys think of these?

http://www.bestbuy.c...=1#BVRRWidgetID

http://www.bestbuy.c...customerreviews

Starter packs tend to be bad. And I'm talking about starter packs in general (for anything), not just instruments. You either end up overpaying for stuff or the stuff breaks early on.

Couple of things I notice is that they both have a basswood body and 21 frets. Can't remember for sure but I think RS expects you to have 22 frets on your guitar. Can't verify either 'cause the RS forums are down.

But take a look at reviews on Ultimate Guitar. Not much on the Peavey. The Fender has a bunch of reviews and comments.
http://www.ultimate-...pack/index.html
Big concern would be about the tuners. Seems they do a poor job of staying in tune.

As a heads up, Guitar Center has another $20 coupon available. Alot of exclusions but should work for the Dean Vendetta Xmt. So like prior sales you could get the satin natural for $80+tax

#597 aFrostyONE   Grumpy Old Year 1 player... get off my server! CAGiversary!   3035 Posts   Joined 10.4 Years Ago  

aFrostyONE

Posted 06 January 2012 - 11:28 AM

Anyone else noticing more Music Ads on CAG nowadays? Think this thread has something to do with it?:lol:

Couple of sales out there:

Guitar Center has $20 coupon on purchases over 99. Good for the Dean Vendetta Xmt
Amazon still has RS @ $60 and they also have a 15% off select musical instruments/accessories. The 15% discount applied at the end of checkout AND only on items sold by Amazon

Anyway, got that hardshell case I had posted about, back before Christmas.
http://www.amazon.co...25844756&sr=1-9
Overall, pretty happy with it, but a little disappointed it didn't quite work with the Damien.

Originally ordered it for the Vendetta and it fits fine for my needs. Leaves about a finger's width of space from the side of the guitar to the inside wall. If you let the bottom of the guitar rest on the bottom wall of the case then the neck rests on the neck pocket at the 10th fret. Push the guitar up as high as possible and the neck will rest on the 12th fret. Roughly 2 inches of wiggle space. Could always buy some padding for a tighter fit.

Next tried the Damien. Body fit in nice but the neck wasn't supported at all. The tip of the headstock kept the neck from resting in the pocket. Kinda worried it might screw up the neck. So, gonna look at a different case. May call Musicians Friend and see if they can recommend a different case.

Finally tried the Les Paul Jr. The body fit nice and snug. Neck rested exactly at the 12th fret. And the headstock just barely avoids touching, but it's close. Like paper-thin close.

#598 austenwithane   Write Something Clever CAGiversary!   228 Posts   Joined 9.2 Years Ago  

austenwithane

Posted 06 January 2012 - 02:01 PM

I tried that a few years back. Bought a friends low end extra righty guitar cheap and tried for about 4 months - failed miserably :D.

Kept telling myself one day I would just break down and buy a lefty. Finally did and in the past 3 weeks I've made more progress than I did in the entire 4 months with the righty!

When I was in Junior High School and my Grandpa purchased me my first guitar and I started lessons, I naturally held the guitar in a left handed position (I am ambidextrous). My grandpa said "Left handed guitars are hard to find and expensive, so you are better off just forcing yourself to learn to play right handed." I did just as he said and now almost 10 years later it is so foreign feeling to even hold a guitar left handed!

#599 splattered   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   483 Posts   Joined 11.8 Years Ago  

splattered

Posted 06 January 2012 - 09:51 PM

Anyone else noticing more Music Ads on CAG nowadays? Think this thread has something to do with it?:lol:

Couple of sales out there:

Guitar Center has $20 coupon on purchases over 99. Good for the Dean Vendetta Xmt
Amazon still has RS @ $60 and they also have a 15% off select musical instruments/accessories. The 15% discount applied at the end of checkout AND only on items sold by Amazon

Anyway, got that hardshell case I had posted about, back before Christmas.
http://www.amazon.co...25844756&sr=1-9
Overall, pretty happy with it, but a little disappointed it didn't quite work with the Damien.

Originally ordered it for the Vendetta and it fits fine for my needs. Leaves about a finger's width of space from the side of the guitar to the inside wall. If you let the bottom of the guitar rest on the bottom wall of the case then the neck rests on the neck pocket at the 10th fret. Push the guitar up as high as possible and the neck will rest on the 12th fret. Roughly 2 inches of wiggle space. Could always buy some padding for a tighter fit.

Next tried the Damien. Body fit in nice but the neck wasn't supported at all. The tip of the headstock kept the neck from resting in the pocket. Kinda worried it might screw up the neck. So, gonna look at a different case. May call Musicians Friend and see if they can recommend a different case.

Finally tried the Les Paul Jr. The body fit nice and snug. Neck rested exactly at the 12th fret. And the headstock just barely avoids touching, but it's close. Like paper-thin close.

I also bought that case and the damien is definitely a snug fit width wise... it does have a bit of room length wise. I'm not sure what you mean about the neck not being supported though? I could be wrong but i think mine rests on the pocket i think? I'm gonna double check mine when i go home..

#600 Pookymeister   I like almonds Super Moderators   15501 Posts   Joined 12.9 Years Ago  

Pookymeister

Posted 06 January 2012 - 10:19 PM

I decided on getting 2 of these for my guitars - simple but very functional (and cheaper than a case)

http://www.amazon.co...m=ATVPDKIKX0DER