* * * * * 6 votes

ROCKSMITH + ****closed beta @ rocksmith.com/beta ****

Rocksmith Rocksmith 2014 Guitar Bass real guitar real bass

#4081 TctclMvPhase   Dismal Scientist CAGiversary!   2014 Posts   Joined 13.5 Years Ago  

TctclMvPhase

Posted 16 February 2015 - 10:39 PM

Sorry for the lack of specifics, but I am referring to these two models in particular:

The $300 Vintage Modified:

http://www.guitarcen...720-i2518203.gc

Versus the $500 Standard Telecaster:

http://www.guitarcen...765-i2032187.gc

I played both in store and didn't feel much difference between them, but the guy there said the issues between those will be the kind of thing that manifets long term, less than the kind of thing I could tell in the store.

#4082 crazedracerguy   Guitar Slinger! CAGiversary!   5539 Posts   Joined 14.8 Years Ago  

crazedracerguy

Posted 16 February 2015 - 10:42 PM

That's a fine Squier. Quality wise, it'd be right up there with the Standard Tele.

#4083 DJP519   Ready for a Vacation CAGiversary!   1297 Posts   Joined 13.1 Years Ago  

Posted 17 February 2015 - 01:31 AM

The only thing I have against the Vintage Modified Squire Tele is the headstock - that's not a traditional Tele headstock, with its distinctive, thin profile.  But that's a little thing and a personal preference.

I've never owned one, but I've heard the same thing Kerouac said: The Affinity series (the entry level that goes for around $179 retail) are not very good, but the nicer Squires, the various Vintage series (that retail for around $299-$379), are said to be very nice and a great value.

#4084 dougyfresh  

dougyfresh

Posted 17 February 2015 - 03:50 AM

Got to practice for about three hours today. Was feeling pretty badass about doing slides until it changed from a note to a chord and my hand went stupid. This game really drip feeds the encouragement though, if I wasn't bone tired id keep playing

#4085 Sir_Fragalot   wants Startropics 3. CAGiversary!   8839 Posts   Joined 15.4 Years Ago  

Sir_Fragalot

Posted 17 February 2015 - 01:10 PM

I have a RS problem. Game is fine, but the song selection that comes with RS 2014 is starting to make me want new stuff. Problem is most of the stuff in the RS store are hits and I really don't want to play most hits, lol.

I guess I need to really dig deep in the store to find DLC I really want. I just have no motivation to play a lot of the popular stuff. Then again when listening to music my favorite genre is Prog Rock/Metal so I understand why I feel this way, lol.

#4086 sp00ge   Hey guys, I'm a turd! CAGiversary!   11840 Posts   Joined 16.1 Years Ago  

Posted 17 February 2015 - 02:11 PM

I have a RS problem. Game is fine, but the song selection that comes with RS 2014 is starting to make me want new stuff. Problem is most of the stuff in the RS store are hits and I really don't want to play most hits, lol.

I guess I need to really dig deep in the store to find DLC I really want. I just have no motivation to play a lot of the popular stuff. Then again when listening to music my favorite genre is Prog Rock/Metal so I understand why I feel this way, lol.

This is why I went with the PC version.  The customsforge.com database is huge (11,000+ songs) with a huge variety of songs from hits to the obscure.

#4087 TctclMvPhase   Dismal Scientist CAGiversary!   2014 Posts   Joined 13.5 Years Ago  

TctclMvPhase

Posted 17 February 2015 - 04:19 PM

This is why I went with the PC version.  The customsforge.com database is huge (11,000+ songs) with a huge variety of songs from hits to the obscure.

I was just about to recommend this. For Bass, the problem is that a lot of the cool songs are pretty simple to play. With Customs Forge, I was able to pick up stuff like Ling Tosite Sigure, which have some crazy bass parts.

It was super easy to set up on PC. The only down side is that you don't have gradual progression for most songs and the riff repeater is a bit finnicky when working with custom tracks. At that point though, it becomes just like working with tabs.

Edit - Just saw that the Guitar Center sale has been extended, so I think I am going to bite on a Squier Tele. I only played the Standard in store, because they were out of the other models.

Do you all have any recommendations between these? The guitar stuff I am looking to play will be punk along the lines of Rancid and The Clash with some Emo/Screamo/Hardcore/Postcore bands from my high school days like Billy Talent and Sum 41:

http://www.guitarcen...508-i1326062.gc

http://www.guitarcen...963-i3899483.gc

http://www.guitarcen...670-i2518198.gc

http://www.guitarcen...838-i3225452.gc

Unfortunately, I won't have the time to make it to a GC that actually has any of these in stock, so I will be ordering online.

#4088 muelly   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   114 Posts   Joined 13.6 Years Ago  

Posted 17 February 2015 - 04:35 PM

What's a solid entry level axe that wouldn't cost a fortune but produce good results for a beginner?

Thanks all

#4089 jsivley   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1527 Posts   Joined 12.8 Years Ago  

Posted 17 February 2015 - 05:02 PM

Do you have the Mastodon pack yet? It's only a few songs, but at least it's prog metal.

#4090 Sir_Fragalot   wants Startropics 3. CAGiversary!   8839 Posts   Joined 15.4 Years Ago  

Sir_Fragalot

Posted 17 February 2015 - 05:30 PM

Oh really, actually oddly enough I do own the PC version of RS as well. I bought it last year on sale and my cable broke so I didn't bother to re buy it until I got it on sale for PS4. Well this changes everything.

#4091 dmendro   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   128 Posts   Joined 13.7 Years Ago  

Posted 17 February 2015 - 06:50 PM

Sorry for the lack of specifics, but I am referring to these two models in particular:

The $300 Vintage Modified:

Versus the $500 Standard Telecaster:

http://www.guitarcen...765-i2032187.gc

I played both in store and didn't feel much difference between them, but the guy there said the issues between those will be the kind of thing that manifets long term, less than the kind of thing I could tell in the store.

So, these are two completely different guitars. Humbucking vs single coil. You are going to get a much much deeper tone with the Squire, and a brighter bluesy tone with the single coils of the Fender Standard Tele. It's really apples to apples. This would be a better comparison.

http://www.guitarcen...519-i4057124.gc

Honestly, if you are looking at a tele with an HH config, look for one that has a coil tapping system so you can switch to single coil when ever you want. 

Edited by dmendro, 17 February 2015 - 06:52 PM.

#4092 Kerouac   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1895 Posts   Joined 10.7 Years Ago  

Posted 18 February 2015 - 07:03 AM

I was just about to recommend this. For Bass, the problem is that a lot of the cool songs are pretty simple to play. With Customs Forge, I was able to pick up stuff like Ling Tosite Sigure, which have some crazy bass parts.

It was super easy to set up on PC. The only down side is that you don't have gradual progression for most songs and the riff repeater is a bit finnicky when working with custom tracks. At that point though, it becomes just like working with tabs.

Edit - Just saw that the Guitar Center sale has been extended, so I think I am going to bite on a Squier Tele. I only played the Standard in store, because they were out of the other models.

Do you all have any recommendations between these? The guitar stuff I am looking to play will be punk along the lines of Rancid and The Clash with some Emo/Screamo/Hardcore/Postcore bands from my high school days like Billy Talent and Sum 41:

http://www.guitarcen...508-i1326062.gc

http://www.guitarcen...963-i3899483.gc

http://www.guitarcen...670-i2518198.gc

http://www.guitarcen...838-i3225452.gc

Unfortunately, I won't have the time to make it to a GC that actually has any of these in stock, so I will be ordering online.

A humbucker in the bridge and a distortion pedal and you are good to go.

#4093 TctclMvPhase   Dismal Scientist CAGiversary!   2014 Posts   Joined 13.5 Years Ago  

TctclMvPhase

Posted 18 February 2015 - 02:49 PM

Thanks for all the help everybody. Ended up not biting because the only Tele in the sale was the Avril Lavigne one, which I was hoping was a $300 guitar being sold at $279 because of AVril Lavigne, not a $200 guitar being sold at $279 because of AVril Lavigne.

At the very least I have decided on a guitar to watch out for and learned a bit more about pickup configs. I am going to go back and try out the two "C" style necks they offer, now that I have more time.

#4094 dougyfresh  

dougyfresh

Posted 18 February 2015 - 03:56 PM

Im getting my ass kicked by some chords. is there a resource in game that tells what fingers should be on which strings? Wanna make sure im using good practices

#4095 Pr0f1t   Trophywhorus Rex CAGiversary!   278 Posts   Joined 9.7 Years Ago  

Posted 18 February 2015 - 04:12 PM

Im getting my ass kicked by some chords. is there a resource in game that tells what fingers should be on which strings? Wanna make sure im using good practices

There are.  The numbers over the strings while the song is playing are your fingers (index, middle, ring, pinky respectively).  Use riff repeater to slow things down to get it worked out.  Also, the chord book shows all.  HTH.

#4096 IronZombie   Time to Feed CAGiversary!   1486 Posts   Joined 10.7 Years Ago  

IronZombie

Posted 19 February 2015 - 12:08 AM

Yup I would say use the chord book. Also I think at the song selection screen there's a way to check which chords are included in the particular song and you can practice them.

Also, hit up the guitarcade when you get a chance and play the zombie chord game. It's not bad.

#4097 crazedracerguy   Guitar Slinger! CAGiversary!   5539 Posts   Joined 14.8 Years Ago  

crazedracerguy

Posted 19 February 2015 - 12:50 AM

BTW, guys, it looks like Dan's persistence finally paid off. Most, if not all, of your 360 DLC should be downloadable on the One as of yesterday.

#4098 Kerouac   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1895 Posts   Joined 10.7 Years Ago  

Posted 19 February 2015 - 12:58 AM

I'm missing three songs on the PS4. Symphony of Destruction, Ace of Spades and Afterlife.

#4099 IronZombie   Time to Feed CAGiversary!   1486 Posts   Joined 10.7 Years Ago  

IronZombie

Posted 19 February 2015 - 02:13 AM

I couldn't get Light My Fire by The Doors to install. It's weird I got the rest of the Doors tracks but not that one. This is a step forward but I'm still annoyed with Ubi. It's been what... 4 months now since release? Unacceptable that this is still an issue.

#4100 jsivley   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1527 Posts   Joined 12.8 Years Ago  

Posted 19 February 2015 - 03:43 AM

I'm still missing at least one Queen song, but many of my songs are now showing that I own them. On the flip side of things, it appears that they "fixed" the free songs. Every song that I had downloaded for free has gone back to showing a price and is not in my song list

#4101 airblade   MexiCAG CAGiversary!   688 Posts   Joined 8.2 Years Ago  

Posted 19 February 2015 - 02:09 PM

So I got this from a trade since I dont own a guitar I said what the heck.

Gonna try it soon, hopefully it wont be too much.

untitled.jpg

#4102 crazedracerguy   Guitar Slinger! CAGiversary!   5539 Posts   Joined 14.8 Years Ago  

crazedracerguy

Posted 19 February 2015 - 09:06 PM

All my "free" tracks stayed. I had to go back to the menu and back into the game for everything to populate, but all my "free" and paid tracks were there still.

#4103 IronZombie   Time to Feed CAGiversary!   1486 Posts   Joined 10.7 Years Ago  

IronZombie

Posted 20 February 2015 - 12:35 AM

My "free" tracks are there as well. Ubi will have to pry them from my cold calloused fingers if they want them back. That's my price for the DLC holdup that's been on-going for 4+ months now. They better not touch my song library. 

Welp, looks like Light My Fire is active now for me as well. No more DLC complaining on my part. I'm still not pleased with the game though, especially the enumerating songs lag which is virtually non-existant in the 360 version -- and if you scroll through the song list too fast the album art disappears and it needs a few seconds to load everything up. The store taking forever to load, controller shuts off randomly during gameplay, and also sometimes random locked DLC shows up in my list (not the ones they advertise during new releases). Sometimes DLC I've bought and have in my library will show up a second time as a locked song. It's strange. 

I think they should've done a little more testing on their end before releasing a broken game. That's the problem with today's video game industry. It's a release now, patch later mentality that ends up hurting the gamers.

#4104 jsivley   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1527 Posts   Joined 12.8 Years Ago  

Posted 20 February 2015 - 01:06 AM

I was bummed that my free DLC disappeared. Now I read that other people got to keep it and I'm really bummed now. Confused too. Didn't I technically "purchase" it when I redeemed it through the Xbox marketplace? It shows $2.99 per song on the marketplace. Is it worth calling xbox? Should be in my download history

#4105 crazedracerguy   Guitar Slinger! CAGiversary!   5539 Posts   Joined 14.8 Years Ago  

crazedracerguy

Posted 20 February 2015 - 01:19 AM

I dont think they'll see that "link" now. The whole issue was that those songs were just linked to the wrong thing. It's wierd that it disappeared. I just backed out and came back in and everything was still there. Have you been out and back in?

#4106 IronZombie   Time to Feed CAGiversary!   1486 Posts   Joined 10.7 Years Ago  

IronZombie

Posted 20 February 2015 - 02:23 AM

Have you actually played the songs you got free? I doubt that would have anything to do with it but who knows.

#4107 jsivley   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1527 Posts   Joined 12.8 Years Ago  

Posted 20 February 2015 - 03:34 AM

I've been out, in, and all around. I've also played every one of them at least once before they disappeared. Those songs don't show up in my song list and they show full price in the in-game store. They also show up full price in the Xbox one store, which is weird. I thought if you download something from the store then it's yours, end of story. They are still installed on my console. I wonder if that would matter to Microsoft?

I agree with ironzombie that the free songs acted as a good compensation for making us wait for our paid dlc for what felt like forever

#4108 aFrostyONE   Crocketty Year 1 player... where's my Phil Collins overdub&a CAGiversary!   3148 Posts   Joined 13.7 Years Ago  

aFrostyONE

Posted 21 February 2015 - 02:54 AM

Saw a link in one of the console threads about a new Rock Band...

http://www.xboxachie...ays-Report.html

Light on details, but I'm curious to see what Harmonix  does.

And I have no clue if the freebie songs are still in my list.  Will hafta check that out soon.

So I got this from a trade since I dont own a guitar I said what the heck.

Gonna try it soon, hopefully it wont be too much.

untitled.jpg

Nice... congrats :beer:

#4109 harrykid   CAG in Training CAGiversary!   101 Posts   Joined 8.9 Years Ago  

Posted 21 February 2015 - 03:41 AM

Stop recommending that $100 Las Paul Special its awful. It can't even stay in tune long enough to go through the precision tuner and I always have to retune for certain frets or it won't even recognize them

#4110 aFrostyONE   Crocketty Year 1 player... where's my Phil Collins overdub&a CAGiversary!   3148 Posts   Joined 13.7 Years Ago  

aFrostyONE

Posted 21 February 2015 - 03:56 AM

Stop recommending that $100 Las Paul Special its awful. It can't even stay in tune long enough to go through the precision tuner and I always have to retune for certain frets or it won't even recognize them

Sounds more like intonation problems.

While you certainly could have gotten a stinker, I would check intonation, especially if you need to retune for certain frets