I got carded! And other GGC weirdness.

Birbo

CAGiversary!
Feedback
5 (100%)
Went to BB last night look for some cheap games. I had a GGC good for $15 (+ $5 coupon). Decided to pick up XIII for the Xbox (only have to pay for taxes after my GGC & coupon). Went up to the cashier who looked at me and said "I need to see a driver's license or state I.D. please." "What for?" I asked. He pointed to the game and said "This is an M rated game. We need proof of age before we can sell M rated games." Funny thing is...I'm 34! Granted, I look young for my age, but not 17 young.

I laughed and showed my I.D. The he pulled a big book out from a drawer. He plopped the book in front of me and said "You need to fill this out". Had to give my name, address, phone number, etc. "Why do I have to do this?" I asked, getting annoyed at this point. He gestured to the coupon and said "Cash-off coupon. It's our policy." So I begrudgingly put all my info down. Walked out with my game in hand and a bad taste in my mouth.

Has this happened to anyone else? Is this a new policy at BB?

I recently was in Best Buy buying an M rated game and the "check buyers age" came up when they scanned my games....but they just cancelled the screen out.

I'm glad there doing it, I don't like some impressionable 14 year old boy being able to just walk in and buy GTA:VC or something of the sort without anyone giving a crap.

Sounds good to me! At least if they buy the game the parents know what there buying now.

This happened to me too. The other day I went to the Best Buy in Chelsea, NYC, to get Rogue Ops and Drakan 2 (both rated M). When the cashier scanned Rogue Ops, a screen came up on her monitor requiring her to ask me for ID. She didn't make me fill out any paperwork though--she just asked my age (I'm 26). She then remarked how stupid the new carding policy is given that (a) no ID was required for Drakan 2 and (b) they don't card for music or movies at all.

I just bought a few games at BB the other day, but neither one of them are M. I almost bought a GGC as well because I have never tried it before. That sucks about all that paper work...And why the hell would he want to put down a fake addy, grave addiction? If he has to fill it out anyway he may as well be truthful about it so he doesn't get screwed somehow later on.

I don't mind that they are carding people now, but a lot of that is probably due to the fact that I am over 18.

The computer prompts them to check ID now. They still have some kinks to work out of the system, because I got carded the other day on a T rated game (I'm 32, btw, and I also look young for my age. Perhaps videogaming keeps us young?), but they said it usually only makes them do it on M games. I didn't have to write in any book, though.

That coupon slip you had to fill out was probably the same thing i had to fill out for using the McDonalds best-buy bucks. I figured that would be for manufactures coupons, not Best-Buys own. Odd.

I don't mind being carded. I agree they need to do that to keep 4th graders from buying GTA. Didn't appreciate the paperwork though. I half-scribbled my info so it'd be hard to read.

I've never heard of being carded, nor having to write your info down. Not for a video game, and certainly not for a $5 off coupon.

On a sorta related note, I STILL get carded. Even when I'm buying a $300 cart-full of groceries with a 12 pack of beer and a bottle of wine. And I'm 30!

i got carded couple of times when I bought Fatal frame 2 which is rated M.. that's good, but I am little concerned about filling out paper work. I think that's just wrong..

You should have cock punched the guy and smashed him in the back of the head with the book.

Where the fuck do you people shop that you have to give out personal information to buy something?

In Soviet Russia, game buys YOU.

[quote name='Naughty_Insomniac']
On a sorta related note, I STILL get carded. Even when I'm buying a $300 cart-full of groceries with a 12 pack of beer and a bottle of wine. And I'm 30![/quote]

Doesn't matter if your 30 or 90, if your buying alcohol or cigs you have to get carded. It's store policy most places, and if the employees are caught not carding you they can and will lose there jobs.

My mom works at a Fast Phils, and she gets all kinds of smart ass remarks from older people she has to cart when there buying cigarettes.

Store policy is all, keeps the 12 year olds disguised at 35 year olds from buying beer.

[quote name='Birbo']Went to BB last night look for some cheap games. I had a GGC good for $15 (+ $5 coupon). Decided to pick up XIII for the Xbox (only have to pay for taxes after my GGC & coupon). Went up to the cashier who looked at me and said "I need to see a driver's license or state I.D. please." "What for?" I asked. He pointed to the game and said "This is an M rated game. We need proof of age before we can sell M rated games." Funny thing is...I'm 34! Granted, I look young for my age, but not 17 young.

I laughed and showed my I.D. The he pulled a big book out from a drawer. He plopped the book in front of me and said "You need to fill this out". Had to give my name, address, phone number, etc. "Why do I have to do this?" I asked, getting annoyed at this point. He gestured to the coupon and said "Cash-off coupon. It's our policy." So I begrudgingly put all my info down. Walked out with my game in hand and a bad taste in my mouth.

Has this happened to anyone else? Is this a new policy at BB?[/quote]

I never got card at BB, but a few time they use that stupid crappy book where you fill out your name, addy, etc. This is the book where they put info about price match or reference why stuff is cheaper. Just stupid newbie cashiers.

I walk in stores all the time and come out with R rated movies and nobody gives a flying shit.
I've never attempted to purchase an M rated game by myself though, because even if I look 17 they still card you (which is kind of stupid that they card you for an artificial game but not movies with gore, violence, nudity, etc) even if you look the appropriate age.
But I don't mind. Even if I could sneak a way to buy an M rated game w/o getting carded, there's no where I could keep it at my dad's because he's all paranoid I have "things to do" before I can own one at his house.
Mom doesn't give a shit though.

[quote name='Birbo']Went to BB last night look for some cheap games. I had a GGC good for $15 (+ $5 coupon). Decided to pick up XIII for the Xbox (only have to pay for taxes after my GGC & coupon). Went up to the cashier who looked at me and said "I need to see a driver's license or state I.D. please." "What for?" I asked. He pointed to the game and said "This is an M rated game. We need proof of age before we can sell M rated games." Funny thing is...I'm 34! Granted, I look young for my age, but not 17 young.

Has this happened to anyone else? Is this a new policy at BB?[/quote]

i've never had that happen to me before either. a little pop up always comes up asking them to verify my age and that's it. this case is odd....

as for filling out the personal info, that shiz is shady!

I will give my work address and work number but never my home information. It just leads to junk mail.

I also have no problem with them checking licenses as it does help protect the gaming industry from criticism.

While it is annoying there is no similar policy in place for movies, I don't view that as a legitimate criticism of doing it for video games.

Why?

Because they should be doing it for movies as well. And for an industry (video games) which has grown up and whose customers have grown up, it is a very childish argument reminiscent of "if I can't have it, he can't have it."

CTL

I noticed this recently at Best Buy as well. The funny thing is that from everything I've heard, the ESRB rating is not legally enforceable. I worked at gamestore with a two initial name and we were told that when selling a mature rated game, we should advise the customer that they are buying a mature rated game and the content may not be appropriate for thoes under 17. Supposedly someone sued EB because they wouldn't sell them an M-rated game. What a joke. I've also been cursed at for selling a 10-year-old Vice City even though I told the kid it wasn't appropriate for him and that his parents probably wouldn't approve either, but that I would sell it to him because the law says I have to. A day later I'm getting yelled at by his parents. Who's worse in that case. Me or the parents who let their 10-year-old walk around a mall by himself.

I got carded at blockbuster. I'm 19 and i have the game n moive pass. i'm guesing everyone knows what that is. So resident evil outbreak jus came out n i rented it. the guy said, o im sorry its a restriced game u cannot rent it. i was thinkin at first that he must b jus kidding around. but after waiting for 10 mins.. i told him i am 19. i showed him my id. hes like ooo i see.. that jackass..

[quote name='batman2million']I got carded at blockbuster. I'm 19 and i have the game n moive pass. i'm guesing everyone knows what that is. So resident evil outbreak jus came out n i rented it. the guy said, o im sorry its a restriced game u cannot rent it. i was thinkin at first that he must b jus kidding around. but after waiting for 10 mins.. i told him i am 19. i showed him my id. hes like ooo i see.. that jackass..[/quote]

You are 19. Not only should everyone realize that, but if they don't know it immediately by looking at you, certainly they should take your word for it.

/sarcasm

Waiting for 10 minutes? So he said you couldn't rent it, and you just stood there for 10 minutes?

[quote name='repetske']I noticed this recently at Best Buy as well. The funny thing is that from everything I've heard, the ESRB rating is not legally enforceable. I worked at gamestore with a two initial name and we were told that when selling a mature rated game, we should advise the customer that they are buying a mature rated game and the content may not be appropriate for thoes under 17. Supposedly someone sued EB because they wouldn't sell them an M-rated game. What a joke. I've also been cursed at for selling a 10-year-old Vice City even though I told the kid it wasn't appropriate for him and that his parents probably wouldn't approve either, but that I would sell it to him because the law says I have to. A day later I'm getting yelled at by his parents. Who's worse in that case. Me or the parents who let their 10-year-old walk around a mall by himself.[/quote]

yea, and by cussing you out, they also set a real nice example for their kid. crazies....

[quote name='repetske']I noticed this recently at Best Buy as well. The funny thing is that from everything I've heard, the ESRB rating is not legally enforceable. I worked at gamestore with a two initial name and we were told that when selling a mature rated game, we should advise the customer that they are buying a mature rated game and the content may not be appropriate for thoes under 17. Supposedly someone sued EB because they wouldn't sell them an M-rated game. What a joke. I've also been cursed at for selling a 10-year-old Vice City even though I told the kid it wasn't appropriate for him and that his parents probably wouldn't approve either, but that I would sell it to him because the law says I have to. A day later I'm getting yelled at by his parents. Who's worse in that case. Me or the parents who let their 10-year-old walk around a mall by himself.[/quote]

It may not be legally enforceable, but in retail, you actually are alowed to say no. If they want to go get thier parents or to "Get my wallet out of my car" thats fine...but if they seem too young it is up to the clerk to decide. Sure..they may get thier own thread on here about "Some BB a-hole would't let me get a game!!!11" but it is up to them.

I've had to fill out my info on a price match so I guess the cash off excuse works, I think it is something to laugh at, getting carded at your age. But personally I wouldn't have felt bad about it, the system keeps young punks from buying violent games, so now they have to drag their parents up there who are clueless to do it for them .

I've only been carded once, buying Bloodrayne for GC at Gamestop. Oddly enough, I bought GTA III at another Gamestop recently and they didn't card me. Btw, I'm 21.

I remember one time when I was buying a soda at Walgreens, and an old lady in front of the line at the checkout was trying to buy cigarettes. She didn't have ID on her and she cursed the poor clerk out since she refused to sell them to her before leaving the store. Funny.

I was recently carded for the first time at Best Buy. I was buying Resident Evil Code Veronica X for the Gambecube. I'm 35 and although I do look younger, like the others wrote, I don't look 18! However, there was also this big, ugly white sticker on the game that stated no one under the age of 18 was allowed to purchase it. That's probably why they had a few copies left.

The law doesn't say you have to. All it says is that your not prohibited from selling it. Just like the law doesn't prohibit me from eating junk food. I am allowed to eat healthy if I so choose.

Also, I can't believe you got the GGC on a $15 game. The coupon clearly states $20+. I get flak everytime I use it and I'm using it legitimately.

i usually don get carded. i can see the screen come up, and they just cancel it. im 16 and look it, which sucks bad. icant always buy m games (like wolfenstein yesterday) or seeing r-rated movies (like kill bill 1). im 17 in a few months. thats when i will be fine.

side note: a year or so ago, when i looked younger, i was able to buy getaway by my self. screwed up system they have.

[quote name='illennium']no ID was required for Drakan 2.[/quote]
You're right. I bought Drakan the other day along with Road Trip Arcade for GC (NOT an M rated game ;)) and I wasn't carded, but they did try to sell me some lame subscription plan for Entertainment Weekly and Sports Illustrated. I think I would've preferred to have been carded. :p

I think some people are overlooking the difference between what is "enforcable" and what is simply store policy. Theoretically, every store in America can have a policy not to sell M-rated games to minors, whether selling to minors was actually "illegal" or not. That wouldn't be a legal law, it would be a store policy. It's not inherantly contradictory. If you're in that store, you play by their rules.

It's quite possible that the ESRB is unenforceable BY LAW. But it IS enforceable by individual store policy.

bread's done
Back