Fight Night Champion Campaign $5 on PSN PS3

Bosamba

CAGiversary!
Credit goes to Swolern @ Slickdeals.net
Note: Since this doesn't appear to be a temporary sale, I didn't post this in the PSN Store weekly deals thread. I think this qualifies as a deal too, if not, I apologize in advance.

"Fight Night Champion Campaign $5 on PSN PS3
Champion mode which is the campaign is what is included. This is an amazing game and actually the best boxing game I have ever played. Campaign was very inspirational and moving."

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/11/08/begin-your-fight-night-champion-experience-for-under-5-bucks/

Edit: For those asking, here is the price breakdown:
• Fight Night Champion full digital download – $29.99
OR
• Champion Mode (standalone) – $4.99
Additional game modes available for purchase within Champion mode in-game store:
• Fight Now – $5.00
• Legacy Mode and Boxer Share – $10.00
• Online Pass – $10.00

"It does not support PS Move and there are no plans yet." - Jazz Brousseau from EA Sports

Amazon has the full game for $27.99 http://www.amazon.com/Fight-Night-Champion-Playstation-3/dp/B004CVQUOI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1320862698&sr=8-1

Overstock.com has the full game for 27.74 shipped http://www.overstock.com/Books-Movies-Music-Games/PS3-Fight-Night-Champion-By-Electronic-Arts/5531269/product.html

Last edited by a moderator:
This is neat. I wanted to play through the "Story" of FNC. For five bucks, I'm in.
(P.S. Sorry Sony, I'll be using your generous movie credit on this instead. I know, I'm a heel :oops:)

[quote name='Dysheekie']There's no way I ever would have heard about this on if not for this post, so deal or not - thanks![/QUOTE]

I'd suggest a weekly scroll through of the ps blog where they list games and price drops.

Basically it's like an iPhone game with in-app purchases. Except it's like a bad iPhone game with in-app purchases that lock out critical content and asks you to pay additionally for those rather than ask you to pay for non-essentials like new boxer short/glove color patterns.

I was all excited about a $5 boxing game but there is no way I'm buying it piecemeal. Thanks but no thanks.

Champion mode is awesomeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee. Totally worth $5.

Be warned though, has one of the cheapest final bosses ever.

EA is smart to want to capitalize on FNC's fun story. A lot of effort went into that and it would be a shame if it got ignored by people who thought it was just another FN. Dunno if this is the right way, or even if there is a better way.

Still, FNC is a great boxing package outside the story. If all you get is the story, you're missing out. At least a half dozen boxers for fight now would round out the game. You don't really need the Legend mode. It's a nice framework but I see no appeal in leveling a boxer from garbage slow ass like me in real life up to Ali tier. Still, an excuse to play a lot of FNC is good so consider just getting the whole game.

Oh and the final fight is ridiculous. Isaac Frost is a giant steroid chomping half-ape dick and the fight literally has you just running from him for six rounds because he can drop you in two or three blows. The attempt at drama is nice but it could have been better. As a whole still a fun ride though.

[quote name='Chrono Gear']Basically it's like an iPhone game with in-app purchases. Except it's like a bad iPhone game with in-app purchases that lock out critical content and asks you to pay additionally for those rather than ask you to pay for non-essentials like new boxer short/glove color patterns.

I was all excited about a $5 boxing game but there is no way I'm buying it piecemeal. Thanks but no thanks.[/QUOTE]

I, on the other hand, am very excited for this. In fact, I believe this is trend that will gain traction as the industry moves forward in adopting digital download as the standard for video game distribution.

Very simply what they are doing is dividing the game into its different components and selling those components as stand alone products. By doing this they are able to offer specific components at prices much less than the whole package.

I have been interested this game (Fight Night Champion); not because of the legacy mode or the multiplayer mode - these game types have been around for years, but rather the story mode - something rarely found in sports games. I have not yet bought the game just because I can not justify spending $60 (approximately $25 - $30 now) on a game that I have only a slight interested in. However, the option pay $5 to play only the portion of the game that I am interested in is genius. Down the road, if I've felt that I really enjoyed the gameplay offered in the story mode and would like to try the multiplayer, I also have the option to purchase that component at a fraction of the price of the entire game.

This is a good thing.

[quote name='Chrono Gear']Basically it's like an iPhone game with in-app purchases. Except it's like a bad iPhone game with in-app purchases that lock out critical content and asks you to pay additionally for those rather than ask you to pay for non-essentials like new boxer short/glove color patterns.

I was all excited about a $5 boxing game but there is no way I'm buying it piecemeal. Thanks but no thanks.[/QUOTE]

Your analogy seems shortsighted and inaccurate, and your closing statement makes it sound like you want the entire package of a 2011 retail game for only $5.

Many people only wanted to play the campaign as that is what EA focused on this time (and they can, as many times as they want, for cheaper than a rental). You get 6-8 hours of single-player for $5; that's a better deal than just about anything else available for that price on PSN.

[quote name='mr mellow']Do you have to have the actual game to install this or is this the complete game?[/QUOTE]

Read the FAQ !!!

" By releasing Champion Mode as a standalone at $4.99, it allows gamers who may not be looking to purchase a full boxing title an opportunity to try it out ".

This is really a great deal. Comparing it to the iPhone game in anyway is pretty retarded. You're getting a ton of gameplay for $5. They could have easily charged $9.99 for just the campaign and it would still be considered a good deal.

Thanks, but I'm just going to wait for Fight Night Champions to go down to $20. I got plenty of games in my back log until then. Also, got Fight Night Round 3 in my backlog if I ever need a boxing fix.

Might jump if this, Fight Night Champion Campaign has Move Support? I was thinking of getting The Fight instead just because of Move support.

[quote name='Prismatico']Your analogy seems shortsighted and inaccurate, and your closing statement makes it sound like you want the entire package for only $5.[/QUOTE]

Correct. It's not like full games on PSN haven't sold for this price before. Also being an annual (is this still annual?) franchise means you can pick up the retail disc super cheap relatively quickly.

I think my biggest concern going forward is that the division of games into separate pieces means that down the road we could have a $60 single player Fight Night and a $60 multiplayer Fight Night. If anyone is being short sighted it's you. If they keep these games at really low prices it's cool, but digital content continues to rise in price and I'm concerned that this is an eventuality if we support it now.

[quote name='ssjmichael']Comparing it to the iPhone game in anyway is pretty retarded.[/QUOTE]

How so? This is a game that has in-game purchaseable pieces. I'm not saying that it's iPhone quality or anything. It's merely following the in-app purchase model which I don't care for.

[quote name='Chrono Gear']How so? This is a game that has in-game purchaseable pieces. I'm not saying that it's iPhone quality or anything. It's merely following the in-app purchase model which I don't care for.[/QUOTE]

What are all the purchasable pieces for the iPhone game? For the PSN version there are just 3 separate purchases, and I would say that they aren't all "critical" and thus saying it's like a bad version of the iPhone model is just stupid. If someone doesn't care to play the game online then I don't see how you can say it's "critical". I'm also pretty sure that EA has made other games have the same model well including the Tiger Woods franchise.

The fact is you're getting the bulk of the game for $4.99. Champions mode is the full campaign and it's a bargain at that price.

^what are the (3) separate purchases? how much are they??

I am down with this for $5 to kill some time..if I can get away with not spending any more $$ in it and enjoy it, then it'll be worth it..

Champions mode - $4.99
Legacy mode - $10
Online play - $10

Champions mode gives you the full campaign where you fight as the fictional character Andre Bishop. I think it's a great model and other developers should take note of it. I don't care for online MP in a lot of games out there so being able to save $10 is more than welcomed.

[quote name='ssjmichael']What are all the purchasable pieces for the iPhone game? For the PSN version there are just 3 separate purchases, and I would say that they aren't all "critical" and thus saying it's like a bad version of the iPhone model is just stupid. If someone doesn't care to play the game online then I don't see how you can say it's "critical". I'm also pretty sure that EA has made other games have the same model well including the Tiger Woods franchise.

The fact is you're getting the bulk of the game for $4.99. Champions mode is the full campaign and it's a bargain at that price.[/QUOTE]

I didn't say that the Fight Night iPhone game even has in-app purhcases. I don't know as I haven't played it. I'm speaking in general terms of the pricing model.

The fact that the complete package is taken apart and sold in separate pieces is concerning that's all. I'm actually with you guys in terms of not caring about the MP. I almost never play online MP of any kind. However, as a completionist, IF I wanted to 100% the game (for trophies) I'd HAVE to spend more money to do so.

[quote name='Chrono Gear']I didn't say that the Fight Night iPhone game even has in-app purhcases. I don't know as I haven't played it. I'm speaking in general terms of the pricing model.

The fact that the complete package is taken apart and sold in separate pieces is concerning that's all. I'm actually with you guys in terms of not caring about the MP. I almost never play online MP of any kind. However, as a completionist, IF I wanted to 100% the game (for trophies) I'd HAVE to spend more money to do so.[/QUOTE]

I'd be concerned if all the parts combined to be much more than buying the whole game but that doesn't appear to be the case here. In fact unless there's something different in the full game download which EA is selling for $29.99 on PSN, the combined modes here total $24.99.

It's just another option though. I don't see anything wrong with the a la carte model really. Unlike the iPhone model we still have a choice to buy a disc version that guarantees us the whole game (unless you buy used, then you may have to pay $10 for an online pass with some games)

[quote name='TraBuch']
Be warned though, has one of the cheapest final bosses ever.[/QUOTE]

This! As long as you go into this mode knowing this, you won't have to buy a new controller later.

[quote name='Chrono Gear']Correct. It's not like full games on PSN haven't sold for this price before. Also being an annual (is this still annual?) franchise means you can pick up the retail disc super cheap relatively quickly.

I think my biggest concern going forward is that the division of games into separate pieces means that down the road we could have a $60 single player Fight Night and a $60 multiplayer Fight Night. If anyone is being short sighted it's you. If they keep these games at really low prices it's cool, but digital content continues to rise in price and I'm concerned that this is an eventuality if we support it now.[/QUOTE]

Fight Night hasn't been annual since the third game 6 years ago. 3 games have come out in 6 years, with the last two being in a relatively short time frame because they didn't really upgrade much transitioning from 4 to this to focus on having a campaign. It won't ever be $5 for the full game unless you buy secondhand, which still hovers around or above $20 from what I've seen.

To argue that a $5 campaign of a 2011 retail title might lead to $120 full games is really reaching. You say "digital prices keep rising," that's true to an extent but so is "digital prices fall." The ability to keep prices how they want them due to no used market in that field hasn't stopped EA or any other publisher from having most of their releases have a sale somewhere or eventual price drops.

And what were you saying about PSN games for this price? At sale prices, sure, but this isn't a sale. Some were low budget releases that came out for only $5, or price drops led to that eventual pricing point. However, those aren't on the same level as a retail game's campaign, with a few possible exceptions.

The most important part of this deal is, people that don't care about trophies or multiplayer or a cut and paste of the Round 4 Legacy Mode can play the main attraction of an 8 month old game for just $5. If that doesn't suit you, then that's fine, but having the option works better for a lot of us. If it leads to worse we shouldn't support it anymore, but people have been saying things like that about DLC for years and some of the worst offenses are still from back in 2007 or earlier.

I wouldn't worry too much about what you predicted, and I fail to see how what I said was shortsighted compared to your initial points about this being like the iOS business model, which has actually done wonders for the industry, and saved a lot of MMO's in the past two years.

I think you're being too pessimistic due to your perspective of the business model, as this could be a very positive option moving forward for people that don't care about every facet of every $60 release. It could be mishandled too, in which case I wouldn't expect nearly as many people to support it as the current reception seems to indicate.

And if things do go under, I'll deal with it. It's not like we're discussing essentials of living here. I have enough games to last a lifetime already that I'll always enjoy.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='sgr76']This! As long as you go into this mode knowing this, you won't have to buy a new controller later.[/QUOTE]
I lost that fight about 30 times before finally saying fuck it and changing the sliders around, and then I lost about 10 more times before I finally won.

[quote name='TraBuch']I lost that fight about 30 times before finally saying fuck it and changing the sliders around, and then I lost about 10 more times before I finally won.[/QUOTE]

I quit & traded the game in lol... Will likely rebuy and retry once the price drops

[quote name='hostyl1']This is neat. I wanted to play through the "Story" of FNC. For five bucks, I'm in.
(P.S. Sorry Sony, I'll be using your generous movie credit on this instead. I know, I'm a heel :oops:)[/QUOTE]

ditto

hmmm wonder if that $5.99 movie credit can be used for this. Redeemed it online yesterday and it added the cash to my wallet didnt seem like i had to use it on a movie rental

[quote name='kingsnuff']hmmm wonder if that $5.99 movie credit can be used for this. Redeemed it online yesterday and it added the cash to my wallet didnt seem like i had to use it on a movie rental[/QUOTE]

Yes you can use it on anything. Its added to your "wallet". They just suggest you use it on a movie.

[quote name='Prismatico']
I wouldn't worry too much about what you predicted, and I fail to see how what I said was shortsighted compared to your initial points about this being like the iOS business model, which has actually done wonders for the industry, and saved a lot of MMO's in the past two years. [/QUOTE]

Not wanting to keep this argument going but two quick points about this particular comment.

1) If you were around last gen you know that games were $50 and they tested the waters for $60 with special editions of games like DOOM which were very successful. As a result $60 is the new standard price for games. I can see breaking up lots of games and selling them separately for more money. If they were completely separated games fine but I don't want to buy both to 100% a game.

2) The in-game purchase business model has definitely helped some developers out, but on the other hand a lot of devs receive a ton of flak for making freemium games that essentially follow this model. Being an iPhone dev is no picnic if you are looking to make a living doing so.

[quote name='Chrono Gear']Not wanting to keep this argument going but two quick points about this particular comment.

1) If you were around last gen you know that games were $50 and they tested the waters for $60 with special editions of games like DOOM which were very successful. As a result $60 is the new standard price for games. I can see breaking up lots of games and selling them separately for more money. If they were completely separated games fine but I don't want to buy both to 100% a game.

2) The in-game purchase business model has definitely helped some developers out, but on the other hand a lot of devs receive a ton of flak for making freemium games that essentially follow this model. Being an iPhone dev is no picnic if you are looking to make a living doing so.[/QUOTE]

1. They went up from last gen because development costs and the overall staff required went up from last gen. Actually, forget last gen, go back a few generations and you didn't have standardized pricing as common as it is now. Chrono Trigger was $80 ($113 today adjusted for inflation), alongside many other RPG's at that same price, while you had other game prices all over the place and well above $50 in many instances.

I don't see what the big deal is about one standard $10 hike in almost three decades that I've been around and supporting the industry. Other forms of entertainment have suffered from far worse inflation, such as movies to pick an easy example. To me, it's better now than it was before, as I couldn't get a game like Chrono Trigger to own back then because it was too expensive.

2. Devs and publishers receive flak no matter what game they make, or what approach they take. A slight increase in dissatisfied customers for a large gain of potential new ones is worth the uproar, especially if you had an expensive project with expensive upkeep like an MMO. This is why The Old Republic looks to be the last major subscription-based (without a free option) MMO.

I am in a hurry right now but is this Champion Mode is an actual game that I can play once I download it for $4.99 on PSN or is it an add on?
Appreciate any responses in advance.

[quote name='Prismatico']1. They went up from last gen because development costs and the overall staff required went up from last gen. Actually, forget last gen, go back a few generations and you didn't have standardized pricing as common as it is now. Chrono Trigger was $80 ($113 today adjusted for inflation), alongside many other RPG's at that same price, while you had other game prices all over the place and well above $50 in many instances.

I don't see what the big deal is about one standard $10 hike in almost three decades that I've been around and supporting the industry. Other forms of entertainment have suffered from far worse inflation, such as movies to pick an easy example. To me, it's better now than it was before, as I couldn't get a game like Chrono Trigger to own back then because it was too expensive.[/QUOTE]

Very true. Prices were all over the place years ago. Remember when Phantasy Star was like $100?

Still. By the PS1 era things had pretty much settled into a standard pricing model and going forward it seems to be creeping up from that point.

I also agree that it is better now than it was before. The internet has done wonders for the gamer looking to find a game on the cheap.

However, digital pricing means the prices are controlled completely on the other end so price hikes can be scary as they can get out of control fast. Remember the Horse Armor for Oblivion? That's a great example of "let's see if we can charge them a ridiculous amount for a digital item". Of course then there's the avatar shop on 360...

[quote name='Video-Gamer']I am in a hurry right now but is this Champion Mode is an actual game that I can play once I download it for $4.99 on PSN or is it an add on?
Appreciate any responses in advance.[/QUOTE]
You don't need any other game or download to play it. I think I'm in for this, I like the concept. As others have said, I wouldn't be playing this online, so even if I buy the pieces I want, it would save me money.

I'm still confused on this.
wasn't there a "fight now" piece you can buy for just 2player vs? and it has create a boxer or whatever?
also can you use the face button to throw punches or only thumb sticks?
is this account locked?

[quote name='TraBuch']I lost that fight about 30 times before finally saying fuck it and changing the sliders around, and then I lost about 10 more times before I finally won.[/QUOTE]

oddly I didn't have too much trouble with him. I think I lost like six times before I beat him.

bread's done
Back