Skyrim

Waughoo

CAGiversary!
Installing Skyrim as we speak! Won't be able to play it till tomorrow though :(

It's kinda annoying that it doesnt install off the disk though. You go to install, it connects to steam and downloads it. I'm not sure why I have a disk if it's not gonna install from it.

[quote name='Waughoo']Installing Skyrim as we speak! Won't be able to play it till tomorrow though :(

It's kinda annoying that it doesnt install off the disk though. You go to install, it connects to steam and downloads it. I'm not sure why I have a disk if it's not gonna install from it.[/QUOTE]

there is a trick usually with steam games... that is on the disc. BUT you'll probably still have to get "updates" or "fixes" plus the release patch so you can start playing it.

I had to go through this with Supreme Commander.

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=5357-FSQM-0382

Installing from Disc instead of Steam
Question
I try to install my retail game from the included disc(s), but the game begins downloading through Steam instead. What can be done?
Answer
Mac Users:
If you are using a Mac, you will not be able to install from the disc. Please double-click on the game in your Library list to begin downloading and installing the software.
Using Steam launch options to install retail games from disc

Right-click on the game, select Delete local content, and confirm.
Insert the first disc into your computer.
Close Steam (Steam > Exit).
Press Windows Key + R to open Run
In the Run window type:

"C:\Program Files\Steam\Steam.exe" -install E:

Replace E: with the CD/DVD drive you are installing from if is not correct.
Replace C:\Program Files\Steam if your Steam installation is not in the default location.
Press OK. Steam will launch and ask you to sign in if you do not have your password saved. Your installation should continue from the disc.

Note:
This process is only intended for retail store bought copies of Steam games (ie. Left 4 Dead, Modern Warfare 2). It will not work for backup discs of any Steam games

I would probably grab it but it's $60 and you know there will be a goty edition.

Mine actually installed off the disk fine to 96%, then there is some patching to download.
Even that will take a little bit on my slow net connection, I'm afraid.

I was going to wait a bit, but anticipation mixed with reading reviews today caused me to scoot over to Wal-Mart after work to snag a copy. They only had 2 PC copies. Which is fine, since I was the only one out of 20ish people there than didn't want a 360 copy.

As much as I want to play Skyrim. I keep telling myself to wait for the inevitable GOTY collection with all the half dozen or so DLCs packed it and save some cash.

My friend even offered to buy it for but even with that I'm still hesitant. I'm a cheapass but not that cheapass :(

I'm very sad that the game is so small. I want my hi-resolution textures. It's not like it's difficult to do either and having to wait for the modding community to release some sucks.

Thats the entire reason I got the PC version over the consoles. I know I'm gonna want mods. Maybe graphic updates, or extra wildlife, or maybe I just want all the vendors to carry a reasonable amount of gold on them. I beat Oblivion on the 360, but really missed having all the mods I had for Morrowind on the PC.

As for the install, it definitely went all night. It's ok though, had to get up for work today anyhow so I would not have played much last night. I have a short day today so I'll get to it soon enough.

[quote name='Gamehead']Cloud saving makes Steamworks OK with me.[/QUOTE]
Not actually owning the game is not OK with me.

[quote name='Jodou']Not actually owning the game is not OK with me.[/QUOTE]

You never really owned any game, though. Unless you created a game yourself.

11 hours in and I feel like I've barely scratched the surface. Having a fun time of it. Mace/Shield/Heavy Armor primarily (though I occasionally use heal magic and a bow). Smithy and Enchanter on the side.

Beautiful looking game, the views sometimes are incredible. Also pleased that my rig seems to maintain 60fps with most things set to highest other than some view distances.

About 30% of my friends on steam are playing Skyrim at any given time. They all seem to say that they're actually going to finish this game, unlike Oblivion.

I gave up trying to finish Oblivion after I closed the 50th gate and twenty more spawned.

Yeah I really hated the Oblivion gates. I always play a stealthy archer in these, and the perks really seem to be making archery more viable.

This game has almost too much stuff in it though! Anytime I'm walking somewhere I'm collecting every flower/insect/herb I see, and all the hides off the animals. I've been just making random potions with all this stuff, and forging weapons out of the hides/ores. Then I'm either selling it all, or enchanting them first THEN selling them. Just wish I could carry a decent amount of loot :(

Yeah, Oblivion I never finished when it first came out because of the retarded gate grind. Came back to a few years later and just blew through it. Ending wasn't satisfying, so you guys didn't miss anything. I just wish they had gone the extra mile for high res textures in this one, because things start to look real ugly when you get close.

Oh well, game is still amazing and yeah: I can't believe how many people are playing this right now. My entire friends list is lighting up with people playing and that's NEVER happened for any game in the past.

I love this game. I turned into a werewolf, slaughtered some Stormcloaks at a camp of theirs, then roamed around discovering places. I got up a mountain and turned back into a human. I encountered a dragon and fought it 1v1 (there were actually some stupid bandits trying to kill me but the dragon killed most of them).

BTW, one tweak I did on the PC was change my character's size. I chose Imperial, I imagine they're a bit smaller than Nords and Orcs. It annoyed me that here I am, the Dragonborn, yet a below average height. If you want to do it, too, enter player.setscalesize 1.06 or 1.07. It goes up to 10 but anything above 2 is crazy. Do NOT change it while you're on your horse, it will cause a glitch.

Also, if you want to change your characters appearance with showracemenu, it won't change their skills or perks (provided it's just the physical features and not race or sex, I can't confirm those won't be affected).

And a tip on the Ill Met by Moonlight quest
There are 2 possible ways to finish the quest, each with a different reward. So make sure you save before finishing it and do it twice to see which one you want

This game has me totally enthralled by it. I've played Morrowind and Oblivion, but could never get into them, but for whatever reason, this one seems to have the formula to keep me engaged. No time to finish this......must play more Skyri.............

Just got the Mace of Molag Bal. This thing fucking wrecks.
105b7mh.jpg

Also, what does the the green snake looking symbol mean? It wasnt on my sword before, but now it's there.
24cw6m8.jpg

[quote name='SEH']Just got the Mace of Molag Bal. This thing fucking wrecks.

Also, what does the the green snake looking symbol mean? It wasnt on my sword before, but now it's there.
[/QUOTE]

Poison on the weapon.

I don't know if you applied it but if it wasn't there before, it's not inherited.

Maybe you sliced into a poisonous creature with it? (Would be neat reality if so)

Are there any serious repurcussions for which you choose, between the Imperials and the Stormcloaks? I'm leaning toward the stormcloaks, cause they seem like solid dudes, but they also seem kinda racist so I'm hesitant.

[quote name='xycury']Poison on the weapon.

I don't know if you applied it but if it wasn't there before, it's not inherited.

Maybe you sliced into a poisonous creature with it? (Would be neat reality if so)[/QUOTE]

I definitely didn't apply the poison, so I have no clue how it got there.

[quote name='Hydro2Oxide']Are there any serious repurcussions for which you choose, between the Imperials and the Stormcloaks? I'm leaning toward the stormcloaks, cause they seem like solid dudes, but they also seem kinda racist so I'm hesitant.[/QUOTE]

The opening is slightly different, but you still wind up on the same main quest line. I don't believe there is really any difference between the two.

id be shocked if this game isn't game of the year... its the best game ive ever played and I haven't been so hooked into a game since fallout 3.

[quote name='SEH']The opening is slightly different, but you still wind up on the same main quest line. I don't believe there is really any difference between the two.[/QUOTE]

I wasn't referring to the opening choice, I meant the part where you can choose between the two factions and it looks like there's some sort of territory aspect to it. I've got two sidequests, join the imperials or join the stormcloaks.

So, who else has knocked a dragon out of the sky?
I pulled this off last night by shooting its wings with arrows until it crashed while trying to dive bomb me. What is totally awesome about this is Bethesda programmed procedural terrain to form in the wake of where it slides across the ground.
I had tears of joy when I brought the beast down like that and can't honestly say I've never seen something so amazing in a game.

Speaking of which, I can't remember the last game that had me so enthralled for an entire weekend. The game is so repetitive yet the exploration is extremely rewarding and I find myself just craving more. I spent all of Sunday just trying to get to Riften but every little cave or fort has stopped me in search of treasure. It was worth it though, especially when you find Dwemer ruins for the first time. I'm really surprised how unique each cave is; normally I would have run into a few copy/paste dungeons by now, but they really went all out to make sure each one is different.

God, is it 4 o'clock yet?

although i have batman on backlog i think im going to go ahead and get this. im just wondering should i get the retail pc version at gamestop for the map or does the map suck so save time and get it off steam? :)

[quote name='Kevfactor']although i have batman on backlog i think im going to go ahead and get this. im just wondering should i get the retail pc version at gamestop for the map or does the map suck so save time and get it off steam? :)[/QUOTE]

I got mine through Steam so I can't speak to the quality of the map but I can say that the in-game map really sucks.

The map you get with the physical copy feels like cheap brittle plastic.

And my general synopsis so far is that it's hands down better than Oblivion. However I felt that Oblivion was pure and utter shit and as more games used the engine, it swelled my anger to uncontrollable levels. Skyrim has a lot of issues still and many things I don't like, however it's something I'm actually enjoying this time around. More than likely won't come close to my game of the year as I'm sure Skyward Sword will fill that spot for me if it can overcome The Witcher 2.

Also make sure to manually save every so often outside of auto-save and quick-save. Just had a friend who lost 10 hours of gameplay because all his shit in the Mage College disappeared in his assigned room (as well as everything else "respawning"). So just an fyi.

[quote name='Draekon']And my general synopsis so far is that it's hands down better than Oblivion. However I felt that Oblivion was pure and utter shit and as more games used the engine, it swelled my anger to uncontrollable levels. Skyrim has a lot of issues still and many things I don't like, however it's something I'm actually enjoying this time around. More than likely won't come close to my game of the year as I'm sure Skyward Sword will fill that spot for me if it can overcome The Witcher 2.

Also make sure to manually save every so often outside of auto-save and quick-save. Just had a friend who lost 10 hours of gameplay because all his shit in the Mage College disappeared in his assigned room (as well as everything else "respawning"). So just an fyi.[/QUOTE]
Witcher 2 was a huge letdown for me past chapter 1. It focused so little on monsterslaying past that point and more on the politics of kings than I liked (all driven by a weak plot device of saving Trish). Skyrim will likely be everyone's GOTY though.

As for saving, turn in your PC gamer card if you haven't learned this by now lol.

BTW, I figured out you can bind number keys to favorite items. You just have hover over a favorite and press the number key you want it bound to. You can get it to work with dual wield combos, but you need to assign it first and then select your offhand manually. I guess once it's paired with your MH, it automatically saves that config for when you press the key. At least, that's how I got it working. Sucks if you want multiple configs with you MH item, though.

Yeah, the hotkey thing isn't bad. However with dual wielding it makes it a bit of a pain in the ass. Thankfully if you dual wield the same exact spell you can just double-tap the key to wield it in both hands. I'm not sure how it'd work if you want to. Haven't bothered testing it beyond magic when I learned about it last night.

Oh and fuck dragons who never want to land when you're a mage and haven't found any magic beyond tier 1 (or bought any). Makes it impossible to kill them.

[quote name='Jodou']Witcher 2 was a huge letdown for me past chapter 1. It focused so little on monsterslaying past that point and more on the politics of kings than I liked (all driven by a weak plot device of saving Trish). Skyrim will likely be everyone's GOTY though.

As for saving, turn in your PC gamer card if you haven't learned this by now lol.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, Witcher 2 wasn't about the traditional slaying story and I hope future Witcher games do go back to that as I think it'd make the game more fun and entertaining. However everything else about it was incredibly awesome. Graphics, environments, interaction, how smooth everything controlled and more. Unfortunately the only thing it doesn't really have over Elder Scrolls is skill variation (Which future sequels may have less than Witcher at some point) and a large open world. I would still consider the story in Witcher 2 better as Elder Scroll stories have been terrible. Skyrim's story is a bit more coherent than past Elder Scrolls though. They're still completely different games.

And yeah, my friend is an anti-save nazi. I'll never understand why. My response to him for this after nearly dieing of laughter is "It's a Bethesda game, you'll need backups of the backups."

Oh and please fix the engine Bethesda, before you license your engine away to other developers. I don't want to play another Fallout game that has an engine more broken than a post-nuclear world.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone find a quick way to level enchanting? I really wanna get that perk where your weapons auto charge themselves on kills.

[quote name='retrad']id be shocked if this game isn't game of the year... its the best game ive ever played and I haven't been so hooked into a game since fallout 3.[/QUOTE]
its not skyward sword or dark souls

Darks Souls will never get it because of it's difficulty level, and Skyward probably wont get it because too many of the hardcore gamers have given up on the Wii and got rid of their systems. I know I havent touched my Wii (wow that still sounds dirty) in months.

Anyone come across a dragon that just does not want to fight? I had one I tried to pick a fight with, it kept circling around me just out of bow range, and occasionally would fly directly overhead. Then he just flew off. I really wanted to fight him because there were giants nearby, and I hear you can get them to attack the dragon.

Speaking of giants, is it even possible to kill one? Every single time I've ever attempted to attack one it just one-shots me and sends me flying a billion feet into the air.

[quote name='SEH']Speaking of giants, is it even possible to kill one? Every single time I've ever attempted to attack one it just one-shots me and sends me flying a billion feet into the air.[/QUOTE]
Easy. Just keep backing away and firing arrows into him. They never get a chance to attack because they're constantly moving. That or just find a rock to sit on. Elder Scrolls hasn't been known for good AI pathing heh. . .

[quote name='Waughoo']Anyone come across a dragon that just does not want to fight? I had one I tried to pick a fight with, it kept circling around me just out of bow range, and occasionally would fly directly overhead. Then he just flew off. I really wanted to fight him because there were giants nearby, and I hear you can get them to attack the dragon.[/QUOTE]

About half a dozen times or so. Angers me when it happens.

And yeah, Giants can destroy Dragons. Watched it happen. Kind of sad since Dragons traditionally are stronger than Giants.

[quote name='Waughoo']Anyone come across a dragon that just does not want to fight? I had one I tried to pick a fight with, it kept circling around me just out of bow range, and occasionally would fly directly overhead. Then he just flew off. I really wanted to fight him because there were giants nearby, and I hear you can get them to attack the dragon.[/QUOTE]I know exactly the spot you're talking about. I tried everything, probably wasted 30 minutes of sniping him and never once could hit him or entice it to come down. In retrospect, there are so many dragons all over that it doesn't matter. In fact, I'm somewhat disappointed that every 10 feet I seem to be tripping over them. It's obvious that dragonslaying is the key highlight to this game, but they're such a joke to fight and so common that it just cheapens what should be an epic experience. The first time I fought one was awesome, but now that I've claimed probably 10+ souls I just don't get that excited anymore. Hell, giants of all things are more rare and challenging than dragons in this game.

Maybe it's just me but I feel like dragons should have been more like the boss fights of Skyrim and more unique for each fight.

i would also include gears of war 3 :)
that was an epic finish to the series and they really stepped up their game with all the new multiplayer modes like arcade, hoard.

to me skyrim or gears should get it, if not a tie.

problem is the whole MW3 thing. i think its a fun game(maybe 4 times a month) but i just hate the damn fans for it! there are people that do nothing but play that one game online and i believe it broke a record on release date that the n64 had for a while. sort of like the crowd at a coliseum, sometimes popularity wins over being the best. :)

its easy to rip on for being an exclusive/technical 3rdperson shooter but i still think its a good game for what it is. what i like is they offer a wide range of ways to play the game and which offers a ton of replay. got the campaign with the cheesy apocalyptic story, got the arcade which is really fun to do with others, gots the death match stuff(more of a select taste but still), horde, ect.

for maybe online game of the year i think this is the one. i dont think they have that tho hehe. but the thing is you want a game that appeals to a wide range of the player base too. sadly since most casual gamers side with mw3(and them wanting it to beat battlefield 3 ) which is why thats probably going to be goty. :)

Well, I think I changed my mind. Bows are starting to suck :(

I'm probably gonna have to start leveling destruction magic just so I can deal more dmg. I've been summoning a Flame Atronach before tough battles so it can tank for me, but theres been a couple times it's died in like 3 hits. Also one time it was turned against me. Then I'm stuck with my bow doing like 5% of an enemy's health, and he's hitting me with a warhammer or something for a third of mine. Sad, cause when the enemies are low it's really fun to peg them in the back of the head, or while they are running, and kill them.

Right now I'm working my way thru the Thieve's guild :)

[quote name='Waughoo']Well, I think I changed my mind. Bows are starting to suck :([/QUOTE]
They don't scale well at all until you invest heavily in smithing and enchanting to improve their quality. Also helps if you can find an ebony or glass bow early like I did. Enchant all your gear for archery and that really adds to your DPS since base damage scales well with 25% which is the highest on a single piece that I've found. I think my ebony bow of pwn does something like 70 damage on top of the 20 damage fire enchant on it. I take down mammoths or giants in ~2-3 shots now if they're all sneak attacks.

Anyone else having trouble with the NPC menus? Say I wanna buy from someone. I talk to them and open up the shop menu. I go down and click on Weapons. It acts like I closed the shop menu and now am back at the NPC's main menu. I click on the shop option, try to pick Weapons, and it'll do it again. I'll have to move the cursor with the keyboard before it'll work, and even then it doesnt always work. Sometimes I click on an option and it picks a different one. It's getting really annoying.

I've also had a problem where shop keepers will stop paying me. For instance, I'm selling them maybe 10-15 iron daggers. I'll get paid for the first 8 or so, then it'll stop. They still have money to spend, and the value of the dagger is still like 200+ gold. But if I sell it, they take the item and I receive no pay for it.

I've got my Smithing to level 60, and Enchanting over 70 now :)
I've found you can loot lots of soul gems out of the College, and just buy more from the vendors. I was getting all the souls by talking a walk by the river and killing Mudcrabs. They stopped respawing though, and it's been a few in-game days now :/

You need to be very precise when using the mouse or else it will close out the menus and act as if you tabbed out of everything. It's very annoying indeed. Hopefully once they release the mod tool set, we'll get some real menu mods going to fix it.

The only thing I can think of with that shop keeper would be related to something with trying to sell stolen items. Something I've heard about but never really experienced first hand. A couple of my items say "Stolen" in the top right. Otherwise I've never experienced what you're experiencing.

Navigating menus with the mouse is a pain. Just use WASD, not really ideal but it works so much better at the moment.

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back