No love for AC:Revelations?

chubbyninja1319

CAGiversary!
With so many great games that have come out, I haven't thought much about Assassins Creed Revelations until my lady-friend Ivy from Gamestop left a message about midnight launch. Not only did I not really think about the upcoming release, which I had paid off a couple months ago...I forgot about how much I love this series. I'm surprised no one has already started a thread for this game.

Anybody else finding their excitement rekindled with the release of AC:R just a couple days away? Here's a thread at NEOGAF that gives just about every piece of info on the new game and the series you could possibly want (which I had to resort to cuz there was no thread here!):

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=32488420#post32488420

I am glad it is coming out, but I won't be picking it up until next year after it hits the $30 range. I picked up AC:B last year at Black Friday and still haven't opened it. :(

I really dug ACII though and am looking forward to playing the 2nd and 3rd games of Ezio's story.

Actually never got into AC before. A friends gave me his copy of the first AC, figured I'd try it out since it is kinda hyped, and I ended up Hating it. Couldn't stand the gameplay, and the story itself wasn't my cuppa tea either. Sooo glad I never actually spent any money on this, though it is sucky that either the game stays in my library, never played, gets tossed in the garbage, or I trade it in to GS for fifty cents.

Enjoyed the first two, but haven't even cracked open Brotherhood yet. Too many other good IPs out there releasing games less frequently demand my attention. Will play it eventually, probably late 2012 at this rate.

Totally got side tracked with MW3, BF3, Arkham City, etc. but a few days ago when I realized I had to work the midnight release for AC:R I too remembered how much I love this series. In all honestly, other than Uncharted and Half-Life it is by far one of my favorite franchises of all time. I'll be picking it up at midnight and playing it all day Tuesday and Wendsday. I'll let you all know how it is!

Unless you want the Signature Edition from Gamestop to get the extra content (which is what I'm doing,) only BF sale for the game is $35 at Best Buy. Praxus, I would at least give AC II a shot before you write off the whole series, it's MUCH better than AC 1.

I was excited about this game, but heard some bad things about it from people who got their pre-order copies early.

Too short, very buggy, and the new gameplay elements aren't much fun seem to be common complaints.

I gave in and watched a couple of videos of it on youtube. The only thing that struck me was Constantinople, it didn't look nearly as detailed and lush as Rome and all the locations in AC:2, it looked rushed.

I'm hoping some good reviews tomorrow will get me excited about it again (enough to buy it full price).

Brotherhood was the best in the series and ultimately why I now love to the franchise. Both the single player and multi were great. U gotta play that one for the ending, which will make the story in revelations relevant.

Already have it paid off at Best Buy, though I don't plan on going to the midnight release. I love the past three games. The first one was really repetitive, but still enjoyable. Hoping the reviews are good if what Ashwood said is true. Really hope it isn't that short. The multiplayer was a surprise in Brotherhood and a very nice one at that.

I'll probably get it on BF from BB since I have a $10 GC to burn. Overall I really like the series, but I'm probably one of the few that liked the original more than the rest of the series. I still loved AC2 and Brotherhood, but they have more of an action-y element to them. I really liked the assassination methods of the first one. You'd sneak up on your target in the middle of the crowd, silently stab him with the hidden blade then just walk away and disappear into the crowd. You were gone before the guy even hit the floor. In AC2 and BH the stealth is pretty much gone.

All I know is I was kind bored playing last year's AC game. I think once a year is too much for that game. As of right now, I really don't have any interest in playing Revelations. That could easily change at any time though. I wouldn't doubt I end up playing the game eventually.

I don't know. Something about Brotherhood really got my attention. It didn't at first and felt like just more ac2. But after walking away from it, I picked it and the story took off, the missions were varied and engaging. Even the DaVinci disappearance dlc was darn good. And I paid full price for that dlc!

Just started Brotherhood yesterday, and I'm loving it. I pretty much like AC1, LOVED AC2. The puzzles to solve was an invredible angle, and the time out of the Animus was much more interesting this time. Kmart has it on their list of B1G1 half off, so I'll be picking it up tomorrow along with Saints Row 3 likely.

My favorite new IP this gen (unless you count fallout 3 as new, because it is such a departure from the series)

But I am waiting on this one because of that signature edition crap. I will wait until it his 10-15 used because I hate the idea of locking content to a retailer, and this locks a freaking single player mission to a retailer. Going to make sure I buy this one used so they don't get any $ off of the sale.

Too lazy to link all the reviews I've found. While they vary, everyone seems to hate this tower defence side-quest. Apparently you can't avoid them either.

I love the AC series, but with Skyrim and BF3, I most likely won't be getting around to this until Christmas at the earliest.

I've never played an Assassin's Creed game before, and was thinking about getting revelations, but after seeing it's meh meh reviews on metacritic, I'm thinking otherwise

Didnt want to up an old thread so I'll just ask here, was any of the preorder content for AC:Brotherhood available as DLC later on? Like the Best Buy,Amazon skins

The reviews don't seem too bad. Excited to pick this up tomorrow Sucks the Defense thing is mandatory. It seems EVERY single person is complaining about it. I don't mind paying full price since I can just price match it later on at Best Buy since the price will tank to the $30s post-Black Friday.

[quote name='Luxuria']The reviews don't seem too bad. Excited to pick this up tomorrow Sucks the Defense thing is mandatory. It seems EVERY single person is complaining about it. I don't mind paying full price since I can just price match it later on at Best Buy since the price will tank to the $30s post-Black Friday.[/QUOTE]

I read one review....maybe IGN?, can't remember.....that said the tower defense was a fun diversion. But, that was just one review. At least it's new and different, I suppose. The reviews seemed like the reviews for Gears 3..."more of the same, if that's your thing". Well, it IS my thing, so the scores in the 85ish range are just fine with me. Looking forward to tomorrow. I just need to finish up Batman so I can really dig into this one.

[quote name='dennisb407']Didnt want to up an old thread so I'll just ask here, was any of the preorder content for AC:Brotherhood available as DLC later on? Like the Best Buy,Amazon skins[/QUOTE]

No I'm 95% sure those were never released as DLC. They were mainly MP skins if I remember correctly (Gamestop and BB each had one.)

FYI for those looking to get this at Gamestop to get all the extra content in the signature edition, the redemption code for it has an expiration date of Jan. 15. Given that Ubisoft enforced the expiration date on the bonus content of the Brotherhood CE, it's likely they'll do that again (for Brotherhood they took out the in-game option for redemption and the code isn't a standard XBox/PSN code.)

For Revelations its 1 code but you have to use it twice: soundtrack and epilogue movie (takes place a decade after conclusion of the game but has no spoilers I'm aware of as it's Ezio living his golden years in Florence) have to be redeemed on a PC from the Ubisoft website (zip files, soundtrack- 80MB, movie- 1.9GB) listed on the flier and the in-game stuff is redeemed from the extras option in the main menu.

The reviews on Joystiq, IGN and Gametrailers have all been in the high 80s. Just got home from working the midnight release and am gonna play for a few hours. I need to know what happens to
Lucy
!!

[quote name='MrPiggles']I've never played an Assassin's Creed game before, and was thinking about getting revelations, but after seeing it's meh meh reviews on metacritic, I'm thinking otherwise[/QUOTE]

You should pick up Assassin's Creed 2 mate, it's a beast. The GOTY edition is only £10 these days, I'm sure it's just as cheap wherever you are.

Pleased to say that I picked Revelations up at midnight; played for a couple of hours and so far I love it!

I made a comment earlier in this thread (based on a youtube video) that it didn't look as detailed. Well, I'm a tit. The game looks gorgeous. There's a great flow in this game, the cutscenes and gameplay mix really well. Much more slick.

It sounds like a small thing, but my favourite thing about the game so far is the new variation of the theme. You know, the one piece of music that will kick in every now and again whilst you're strolling along the rooftops. It was lovely in Florence and Venice, but in the Roma variation of the tune, there was a forboding in it. It sounds beautiful this time round.

Looking forward to getting into it properly today.

[quote name='dennisb407']Didnt want to up an old thread so I'll just ask here, was any of the preorder content for AC:Brotherhood available as DLC later on? Like the Best Buy,Amazon skins[/QUOTE]

I was just trying to find it the other day, looks like a big ol no. At one point a month or so after release I ended up selling my GS MP jester code for about $50 (forgot I even had it) so there was at least some lingering demand.

The only thing is it MIGHT have been included with purchase of the Da Vinci DLC as I had a cosmetic armor outift I didn't have access to before when I booted up my game post Da Vinci download and I'm pretty sure it was the BB armor.

About an hour in and
I can't believe Lucy is actually dead. There's a bunch of dialogue talking about her death and funeral so unless it's all a gag or Desmond is imagining it...I'm actually pretty disappointed...

I just picked it up from gamestop and I was able to get the CE of Brotherhood for $25the at best buy. Its an assassins creed celebration, bitches!

Since there isn't an official thread for Revelations (there was another thread started, but it didn't look like anything official), I figured I would start one.

I'll update the OP later with more info, but for now, feel free to discuss the game.

Desmond is fucking ugly in this. Anyone know why they redesigned him? I think it means they may've lost the license for Francisco Randez's likeness.

[quote name='BingoBrown']Since there isn't an official thread for Revelations (there was another thread started, but it didn't look like anything official), I figured I would start one.

I'll update the OP later with more info, but for now, feel free to discuss the game.[/QUOTE]It was earlier than this thread, so now yours is merged into the existing one.

[quote name='shrike4242']It was earlier than this thread, so now yours is merged into the existing one.[/QUOTE]

Okay... whatever...

So far its been a little bit of a letdown. I really enjoyed Brotherhood though, i think it was the best in the series. But so far in Revelations im not really digging the map world.

- One thing i hated in GTA san andreas was when your hood is under attack! So how many years later and ubisoft think its a great idea to put in this game. Only its your assassins hideout place that is under attack. Then when you have to defend it you get to play play a pixel junk monsters type game. I only had to do this twice, and i lost the 2nd one. So i had to reclaim that fort, which took all of 2 minutes, but still, its annoying. I really dont want to waste my time playing these mini games. I would rather have them capture it and i can get it back playing the game the way it was meant to be played.

- Another one i hate, maybe its more my fault, but these coward templars you have to kill to get the area for yourself. Dude runs so i go to chase him and ezio decides its a good time to climb a wall instead of going through the door opening, by the time i get down from the wall he is gone and i have to retry tomorrow. -_-

Honestly i liked having assassins and recruiting them in brotherhood, but for some reason i dont really care about it this time around. Would have been cool if your recruits from brotherhood were transfered into this game. Then again that would just make it grandpa assassins running around with the time line.

EDIT:

wow not 5 minutes later another hood is under attack. So i do it, and im doing really good. They couldnt even break past my first barrier. Then in comes the ram tank, and he plows through everything and they take over. WTF? Whats annoying is im targeting ram tank and shoot the cannon and it totally misses it even though im right on it and see it glowing. Im not even going after these anymore, they can kiss my ass. Once i get them ill buy all the shops and thats all i care about. If they get them back good for them, take them!

MORE EDIT:

Seems like im always in red, so guards are always noticing me. If i spend the time to get rid of the red, it eventually comes back not long. That is kind of annoying.

I was just doing a mission, did 2/3 of it, then used that tunnel to fast travel and it resets the mission and now i have to do it over. Which was annoying in the first place, trying to kill many guards is annoying in this game. The ones with the long spears you cant counter, and they end up trying to spear you when you are in a fight with someone else. Then i through down some spikes or whatever to make them hop around for easy kills and ezio sticks to this one guy so that whole thing was a waste. One guy left i try to grab, im pressing B, B, BBBBBBBBB and he is just standing there. Oh i guess i had to press LT to re engage my fighting stance, because for whatever reason he decided he was done fighting.

Wow totally getting annoyed by this game, and i LOVED the series up until this game. So far its been nothing but disappointment and frustration.

Last edited by a moderator:
I finished (100%) both 1 & 2 this year, and have Brotherhood still to play, but I picked up the Sig edition anyway because I paid for it entirely in credit and I like the extra stuff. I plan to get to the stories over time but I jumped into the MP already because I really really like it. I was bummed when my first match (Manhunt, 4v4) was full of a bunch of idiots running around the map stabbing for 100 pts, but I got into some good deathmatch games later.

I have read that your Assassin Strongholds only get attacked if you are at 100% notoriety for more than a couple of minutes. Someone said he played the whole game and only did the stronghold defense once (the first time).

[quote name='wakawakawa']I have read that your Assassin Strongholds only get attacked if you are at 100% notoriety for more than a couple of minutes. Someone said he played the whole game and only did the stronghold defense once (the first time).[/QUOTE]

Yeah that's what Totilo said on Kotaku. One thing to remember in this game is just buying property is enough to increase the awareness meter in this game and there's no longer the wanted posters everywhere to easily decrease it. I just farm the town crier's and pay them money to keep it at a manageable level so far.

I just passed sequence 4, i have two strongholds being invaded but im not even going to try to get them. Not until i finish the story, or run out of places to buy health, weapons, or get money from the bank which would force me to do them. I think if a stronghold is being invaded it locks stores in that area. Its a really annoying part of the game so far, i dunno who thought it would be a good idea to have it. Like i said before, it was the 1 thing i hated about GTA SA. Otherwise i think its been a decent game so far. Hopefully the story makes up for the annoyances during gameplay.

EDIT: Just did 2 of the desmond levels and it feels like a cheap portal type game. The worst thing is i dont like it at all. First it was defend your castle, now this? Wow they really went in the wrong direction. From AC to AC2 to ACBrotherhood the games just kept getting better and better and now this shit. -_-

EDIT EDIT: I had my power all red, but the square part was maybe 50% around, and templars attacked one of my dens. So i guess it doesnt have to be 100% full. I tried to defend one again and i do good till the end where that fire tank comes. It just busts through my fortified wall in seconds. The only good thing is when i lose, ive always been able to reclaim the den within a minute of failing because they put you right in front of the templar really.

few more notes...

- There was a random drunk guy with a red target over his head, so i killed him, nothing happened. A minute later he respawns, so i kill him again, he comes back! Kill him again, and again, he just kept coming back!

- Was playing an altair mission and saw some past memories while using eagle vision, saw the subtitles, but there were no voices to go with them. Happened to all of the visions. -_-

- Why can i gently push everyone, except those women who beg for money? Really?

- Did a mission where i had to flee, it got really annoying since the guards that were chasing me can run faster than me. Also the combat is annoying, because with the most recent fights ive had, they dodge everything. You try to counter, kick, slice, dice, they move all the damn time. Then i just say F it and try to run cos i get bored when all my attacks are doing nothing.

So far this is the worst AC game ive played. What a let down. First MW3 was crap, now this? And this was supposed to be a great time for games. Hopefully Saints Row 3 will be decent!

[quote name='The 7th Number']few more notes...

- There was a random drunk guy with a red target over his head, so i killed him, nothing happened. A minute later he respawns, so i kill him again, he comes back! Kill him again, and again, he just kept coming back![/QUOTE]

That's Duccio. He appears early on in Assassins Creed 2. You beat him up for cheating on Claudia. Beat him up in this game for an achievement.

[quote name='The 7th Number']- Did a mission where i had to flee, it got really annoying since the guards that were chasing me can run faster than me. Also the combat is annoying, because with the most recent fights ive had, they dodge everything. You try to counter, kick, slice, dice, they move all the damn time.[/QUOTE]

Just like in Brotherhood?

I've only done one den defence, though I don't mind them - change of pace innit. If your 'Templar Awareness' bar is full, it means ONE more incident with guards or renovation will result in a den being attacked. Bribe a herald or kill some officials if you come across them (they have a white eye symbol above them). You have to reduce the awareness completely, then the middle symbol will stop flashing red and you're free to muck around again. You can take as long as you want to reach the heralds, as long as you stay out of trouble.

I really enjoy the Templar assassins that come and stab you. It's fun to catch them in the act.

I'd just finished a trailing mission, and at the end of the roof was a 'citizen' just standing with his hands behind his back. You can tell who they are before they even make a move because they glow and the ability to send your assassins flashes up. So I pushed him off the roof. He went back to his stance so I ran past him and called one of my assassins. He chased after me, unaware that one of my guys was chasing him. Fun.

I seem to be in the minority, but I actually enjoy the Desmond levels. I found the glyph puzzles from the last two games quite atmospheric, and I find these levels even more so.

On sequence 2 I believe and so far so good. Feels more like an expansion to Brotherhood, but that's good enough forme considering how much I love this series. Been avoiding the main quest in hopes to build up my assassin crew. In Brothwrhoodwhen you had a few badass assassins it was easy mode from there on out.

[quote name='Ashwood']That's Duccio. He appears early on in Assassins Creed 2. You beat him up for cheating on Claudia. Beat him up in this game for an achievement.

Just like in Brotherhood?
[/QUOTE]

- ahh maybe thats why he kept coming back, i had to beat him up, not kill him.

- I really dont remember brotherhood combat being so annoying. Ive always thought AC combat was too easy, but this game they really avoid getting hit a lot, then shoot guns at you, its quite annoying sometimes.

Try going barefist against them. Disarming works every time unless it's against a 'boss' type character.

I always call my assassins for shooters. Run around a bit to dodge their shots then let one of your buddies take them from behind (.....Ahem, kill them. Kill them from behind).

bread's done
Back