PETA is mad at Mario for being a animal killer

Xevious

CAGiversary!
http://ingame.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/11/14/8802690-peta-attacks-nintendo-over-fur-wearing-mario

Quote from the article:
"You have to give it to the People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals — they know how to leverage a pop culture event to promote their own agenda.

You see, Nintendo has just launched its highly anticipated game "Super Mario 3D Land." The game — which you play on Nintendo's new handheld 3DS game machine — features the famed plumber Mario making his way through a cartoon land filled with cranky mushrooms, man-eating plants and nefarious turtle creatures. On occasion, the mustachioed plumber dons a furry raccoon-like "Tanooki suit" which lets him float in the air and swat this colorful host of bad guys with a tail.

PETA, however, thinks Mario's fur-wearing ways are offensive and has — just in time for the launch of "Super Mario 3D Land" — launched its own campaign pegging Mario as a killer of innocent animals."

Last edited by a moderator:
lol PETA

They're basically just a self-parody. It's as if the people in charge of it are purposely making them look stupid.

Dude, straight up they should know that this is retarded. Also, does anyone actually think it's a real suit of fur? I've always envisioned it as footie pajamas modeled after the Tanuki, kind of like the Lost Boys from Peter Pan.

yeah, i always took it as a costume, especially in the context of SMB3 where it was introduced alongside the Hammer Bros Suit and the Frog Suit.

And um, it's called tanooki "suit"?

Is buying a bear or frog or rabbit costume for your kid on halloween bad for animals too? Guess logic always escapes that organization. It's all about bandwagoning on pop culture.

that fucking video on their page is shocking enough to get the point across without the mario herp-derp ruining their message before hand.

Making themselves look like idiots only promotes their agenda if they are looking to convince idiots to support their cause.

Then again, that's probably their target demographic so maybe it makes perfect sense...

(adds to title)..., but they're totally fine with using mushrooms, fire flowers, and leaves. lol

I wonder if PETA cared when Super Mario Bros. 3 was ported to the Gameboy Advance?

Yeah, Metal Gear Solid 3 Snake Eater was epic watching Snake just chomp down on a snake.

I can't even imagine how crazy a person would have to be to get behind this, even if that person was already a PETA supporter in the first place. It's a fictional character, in a land where overgrown mushrooms with feet are out to get you and magical turtles that can jump the height of three grown men throw hammers that defy the laws of physics by having boomerang-like abilities.

Self-parody is right. Not that people were necessarily taking them seriously to begin with, but stupid shit like this really detracts from any meaningful message they're trying to get across. I'm all for animal rights, but grow the hell up.

funny they never said shit about red dead redemption hell i wiped out damn near 50 plus bears and even killed every sasquatch but one but i guess those dont count lol.

It took them 21 years to finally complain about the Tanooki suit? Guess they got nothing better to do.

Epic. fucking. Facepalm.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2011/nov/15/petas-hypocrisy/

It’s ironic that People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) would act like it is protecting animals given how many it routinely sends to an untimely demise (“Big animal rights groups do good, too,” Letters, Monday).

PETA claims it runs an animal shelter but in reality, what it runs is a slaughterhouse. Since 1998, PETA has killed more than 25,000 adoptable cats and dogs at its shelter, according to filings with the Commonwealth of Virginia. Two PETA employees were arrested in North Carolina in 2005 in connection with killing adoptable pets and tossing the bodies into garbage bins. They even offed “perfect,” “adorable” and pregnant animals, according to records kept by the PETA defendants.

PETA makes the news because it sends out scantily clad women to promote veganism. The name of PETA’s game isn’t caring for animals; it’s media stunts and hypocrisy.

And to stay with the Mario theme:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4oCng6Kps4g&feature=related

The People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals might be barking up the wrong mushroom.

On Monday, the controversial organization issued a press release attacking iconic Nintendo mascot Mario for wearing a 'Tanooki' suit in his latest adventure, the Nintendo 3DS game Super Mario 3D Land, which hit shelves on Sunday.
"Tanooki may be just a "suit" in Mario games, but by wearing the skin of an animal, Mario is sending the message that it's OK to wear fur," PETA says.

The raccoon-like suit, which grants Mario the ability to glide across the screen, has been a part of the franchise since first appearing as a power-up in 1988's Super Mario Bros. 3. In the new game, Mario acquires the suit not by doing something lousy to a Tanooki, but by snagging a Super Leaf.

Still, PETA insists this encourages animal abuse.

"Tanukis are real-life raccoon dogs who are beaten and, as PETA's undercover exposés show, often skinned alive for their fur," says PETA Executive Vice President Tracy Reiman. "This winter, everyone can give raccoon dogs and other fabulous animals a 1-UP by keeping our wardrobes fur-free."

To help prove their point, PETA has even commissioned http://us.lrd.yahoo.com/SIG=157ho8p...;utm_source=PETA%20Pitch&utm_medium=Mediaa crude parody video game called "Super Tanooki Skin 2D" in which players try to re-capture their skin from a flying Mario (Warning: Kind of disturbing, and totally not fun.)

It's just the latest in a long line of PETA game complaints. In 2008 they went after Cooking Mama for not being a vegetarian, while just last year they parodied challenging downloadable platform hit Super Meat Boy for starring a piece of raw meat.

Bahahahahaha. Following PETA's craziness is like a constant comedy team just waiting to make more people laugh.

Why do people pay attention to this shit? Seriously, this crap shouldn't be in any section called "news", this belongs in tabloids that dumbasses buy at the grocery store.

Last edited by a moderator:
Peta just want their 15 mns of fame prolonged, that is why they usually attack any topic that is current.

It is pretty crazy to see peta get mad at video games so often... If I recall, they recently had a fit over MW3 and the rat incident.

Stay classy peta.

[quote name='Lignite']It is pretty crazy to see peta get mad at video games so often... If I recall, they recently had a fit over MW3 and the rat incident.

Stay classy peta.[/QUOTE]

i read it was the rat from bf3....that damn rat got what it deserved....peta is an attn seekin clown movement

Always remember, PETA spelled backwards is ATE P.

Do they have proof the animals die? Maybe they fall through a wormhole to a hospital to recover. Then it's 6 months therapy over their shared trauma of being stomped, fireballed, etc.

Peta to animal rights is what Marilyn Manson is to music. They have always gone for this kind of shock value. I remember when they went to some schools and handed out unhappy meals. There use to be a documentary about Peta and one of its founder, she is out there if you know what I mean.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Oh, it was always a joke. :lol: They were just the last to realize that.[/QUOTE]

This is like some Zen Koan shit. If a comedian is the last to laugh at his own joke, was it actually funny?

[quote name='iamsmart']Peta: Hey guys, don't worry it was all just a joke!

http://ds.ign.com/articles/121/1212758p1.html

What's that? You think we're just playing it off as a joke because of the backlash? Nonsense. It was clearly meant as a joke, plus it's not like we sullied another company's name for our own personal cause or anything, right?[/QUOTE]

I actually kind of saw their point with this one. And I don't think they were ever being serious about Mario being an actual animal killer. More that Tanookis are an integral part of the new mario game and the skinning of tanooki's is at an all time high, so they just used the game to bring awareness to the issue. They did it really poorly and could have explained from the beginning. But watch the video, its really messed up and it should be addressed w/ or w/out crazy peta.

bread's done
Back