Free digital copy of Saints Row 2 for Saints Row 3 owners (PS3 only, exp Feb 13)

Wario64

CAGiversary!
Feedback
12 (100%)
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011...saints-row-the-third-owners-on-playstation-3/

At long last, THQ and our friends at PlayStation are proud to unveil additional content for Saints Row: The Third owners on PS3. For all players that purchase Saints Row: The Third on PlayStation 3 and redeem their online pass codes within the next 90 days, they will receive a digital copy of Saints Row 2 (a $19.99 value)… absolutely free!

Go back to a simpler time, when the Saints were vying for control of Stilwater, before they were global icons, a household name, and a criminal empire. Before Professor Genki and the Syndicate, there were the Westside Rollers and the Brotherhood. Enjoy classic Saints Row activities like Septic Avenger, where you spray new homes with sewage in order to devalue property. And of course, enjoy a number of DLC packs brought to you by Volition’s favorite Saints Row 2 producer, Tera Patrick.

Saints Row 2 will be available for free starting early next week for all players who redeem their online pass in each new copy of Saints Row: The Third. The offer expires at midnight on February 13, 2012, so be sure to redeem your online pass before then. And for those of you who have already done so, keep an eye out early next week for the content. This offer applies to the United States, Canada, and Mexico only.

We hope you are as excited about this offer as we are!

That's awesome, I redeemed my online pass today. I hope having redeemed it via qriocity doesn't affect this promotion though, would suck if I didn't get it due to that.

Awesome! :) I was looking at my online pass last night trying to think of a good reason to actually use it. Now I have one.

This is probably to make up for the ps3 exclusive content that was supposed to be in there that wasn't. Total win, glad to have this instead, the second one is awesome

Jesus, these guys are just trying to make thier game ever more popular......AND SUCCEEDING!

I have been hyped for many games this year and been let down, Saints Row 3 easily was one of the best games i have been hyped for. Its just so damn fun/hilarious, i know its gonna be a sleeper hit even if it doesnt gain popularity

[quote name='dgwillia006']Jesus, these guys are just trying to make thier game ever more popular......AND SUCCEEDING!

I have been hyped for many games this year and been let down, Saints Row 3 easily was one of the best games i have been hyped for. Its just so damn fun/hilarious, i know its gonna be a sleeper hit even if it doesnt gain popularity[/QUOTE]

I won't even get my copy until tomorrow and I already know that I won't be able to play gta after this as it will just be boring.

Would of been nice to know before release. I just bought it on 360 I would of bought PS3 if I had known. I already opened it so it can't go back.

As I said, I doubt this was planned. This is probably because THQ dropped the ball on the ps3 exclusive content so to say sorry (and possibly hold up a contract with sony) they did this.

[quote name='sunghost']That's awesome, I redeemed my online pass today. I hope having redeemed it via qriocity doesn't affect this promotion though, would suck if I didn't get it due to that.[/QUOTE]
No difference if you redeem it on PS3 or on Qriocity. The online pass is now in your account. THQ will know it when you play the MP, and Sony can lookup the pass in your transaction history too.

I do want to say that SR3 is in many ways a huge step back from SR2 and the removing cheats from the game to hold back as DLC (The rumor that they are unlockable in game has not been substantiated) is especially annoying. The evil cars cheat? Not currently in the game. I'd bet my bottom dollar it's pulled out for DLC.

That said, SR3 is still quite good, but the elevation it gets is unjustified. At $30, which it will hit soon, it is hard not to recommend for those who want SR style nonsense, but even as someone who loved SR2 the SR style is patchy enough now that I won't be back for the fourth iteration.

Glad I opted for the PS3 version. I ALMOST got the 360 version instead when I pre-ordered and would have been pissed if I found out later SR2 was free only with the PS3 version.

Too bad I already have 2. Gonna get the season pass for the 40 weeks of dlc they have planned. Oh and the cheapy d homie dlc is free....go CAG!!

I own SR2 on PC. I am fine with another free copy for PSN since the SR2 port is shitty.

Also I can't wait for the CheapyD DLC. If he says Big Ass Chains, I am gonna lose it.

[quote name='junkie88']Would of been nice to know before release. I just bought it on 360 I would of bought PS3 if I had known. I already opened it so it can't go back.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, same here #-o I picked it up during Kmart's Buy one Get one 50% off promotion. I chose the Xbox 360 version due to the earlier titles being technically better on the 360 according to The Digital Foundry. I would have gladly put up with some low FPS and screen tears here and there for a free game :cry:

Copied from ign.com

With Saints Row: The Third out this week, Sony and THQ had a bit of a problem. After all, Sony's Jack Tretton promised an "over the top" exclusive multiplayer game mode and a "signature weapon" that would be only for PlayStation 3 gamers. Yet, the final product had no such mode or weapon.

But today, THQ revealed that the publisher is ready to make it up to PlayStation 3 gamers.

According to THQ's Jon Miller, "For all players that purchase Saints Row: The Third on PlayStation 3 and redeem their online pass codes within the next 90 days, they will receive a digital copy of Saints Row 2 (a $19.99 value)... absolutely free!"

The offer is for the digital version of Saints Row 2 that came to PSN some time ago, and expires on February 13, 2012.

Anyone got an Extra Online Pass Code For Me? if so please pm

Someone posted the idea on the joystiq.com blogpost about this, about just buying the $10 online-pass from the PSN Store...and possibly getting SR2 for basically half off? No way to be certain until THQ starts sending out the vouchers, but it seems...plausible?

IDK.

Unless of course the codes in the retail games have some unique qualifier that flags your account as having actually 'purchased' that game, but it might be worth it for someone to check it out.

Hmmmmmmmm. Think this might be what pushes me over the edge into doing the K-Mart B1G1/2 for Skyrim and SR3. Neither of those are scheduled for Black Friday sales as is.

Interesting. Though I would definitely rather they did a giveaway like they did with Darksiders, where you get a PHYSICAL COPY of SR2 as opposed to a download only version, especially since I still have SR2 on a physical format here.

Maybe I'll redeem my online code anyway and then ask my one buddy if he wants the digital copy on his PS3(actually my old 120gb PS3 which still has my main acct on it).

I feel like this promotion is only telling me that SR3 isn't selling well. That's too bad because it is a good GTA alternative franchise. If this deal applied to the 360, I'd be all over it. Oh well. I do love THQ though, they never disappoint with any of their franchises =)

wonder if i could sell my online pass for anything now... most of my codes i have stored away are worthless.

i gameshared my buddies online pass already.

I think if I did 3-4 missions(and I think most of them were clearing other gang hideouts) on SR3 it's a miracle, yet I played for over 4.5 hours last night alone on this game. Your character is damn near invulnerable(crashed a private jet n bailed out like 5 feet from the ground n lived), so that's definitely good compared to the other sandbox-y titles out there.

Hell of a game. But I do have to get a better tv/monitor with easier to control volume control on it cuz even at 50% the volume was negligible and I couldn't hear the music on the radio stations.:cry:

[quote name='Wario64']

Go back to a simpler time, when the Saints were vying for control of Stilwater, before they were global icons, a household name, and a criminal empire. Before Professor Genki and the Syndicate, there were the Westside Rollers and the Brotherhood.

[/QUOTE]

Its kinda weird that they would mention the westside rollers, as they were from the first game, not the second.

[quote name='Darknuke']I feel like this promotion is only telling me that SR3 isn't selling well. That's too bad because it is a good GTA alternative franchise. If this deal applied to the 360, I'd be all over it. Oh well. I do love THQ though, they never disappoint with any of their franchises =)[/QUOTE]naw, I wouldn't say that. They originally announced PS3 exclusive content but didn't deliver. I see this as their way of making up for that

Just so im clear cause the post isnt you have the next 90 days to redeem your online pass and then till Feb 2012 to download SR2? is that correct?

[quote name='aots16']Just so im clear cause the post isnt you have the next 90 days to redeem your online pass and then till Feb 2012 to download SR2? is that correct?[/QUOTE]

You have till Feb 13th to redeem the online pass. Once you get the game, it's yours forever (or until PSN explodes)

Then whats with the whole "For all players that purchase Saints Row: The Third on PlayStation 3 and redeem their online pass codes within the next 90 days, they will receive a digital copy of Saints Row 2 (a $19.99 value)… absolutely free!" part of the post?

I'm honestly not sure what is unclear about that passage you quoted. When you redeem the online code it will let you download Saints row 2 and you keep it forever just like the welcome back games if you redeem after next tuesday. If you redeem it before next tuesday you will be able to download it free on tuesday. You have to activate your online pass before FEB or the pass will no longer allow you to get SR2 also. If you redeem the online pass AFTER feb then you won't get saints row 2 for free.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I think if I did 3-4 missions(and I think most of them were clearing other gang hideouts) on SR3 it's a miracle, yet I played for over 4.5 hours last night alone on this game. Your character is damn near invulnerable(crashed a private jet n bailed out like 5 feet from the ground n lived), so that's definitely good compared to the other sandbox-y titles out there.

Hell of a game. But I do have to get a better tv/monitor with easier to control volume control on it cuz even at 50% the volume was negligible and I couldn't hear the music on the radio stations.:cry:[/QUOTE]

I spent about 3 hours on it last night, half of which was making the character.

The beginning worried me, because it felt too polished. Once you got to the crib, it went back to it's original silliness, and I was happy. Messed around with the Genki stuff, but it wasn't that great. The mind control octopus was nice though.

Didn't do many missions yet, but I've stored a bunch of cars in my garage already.

Gonna buy the penetrator today and whack off some gangstas!

probably a stupid and dated question but is the online pass for saints row 3 similar to the ea games where to you need to buy a pass to play online? Does it only come in new copies of the game or is it in a special edition?

[quote name='toomuchpie617']probably a stupid and dated question but is the online pass for saints row 3 similar to the ea games where to you need to buy a pass to play online? Does it only come in new copies of the game or is it in a special edition?[/QUOTE]

Yes, you need the code to play online and it comes in all new copies, not just the special edition. I think the special edition gets an extra code to download all the xpacs they have planned for it for free.

Hmm...already have Saints Row Double Pack on the Xbox 360. Might get the PS3 version of Saints Row 3 just for this offer in the future before February.

[quote name='aots16']Then whats with the whole "For all players that purchase Saints Row: The Third on PlayStation 3 and redeem their online pass codes within the next 90 days, they will receive a digital copy of Saints Row 2 (a $19.99 value)… absolutely free!" part of the post?[/QUOTE]
Wouldn't 90 days be Feb. 13th 2012?

would it possible for me just to get the online pass and redeem it without having saints row 3? its 10 bucks, cheaper than the game they are giving away 20 bucks. i down own saints 3 so i wanted to make sure. shame it has no trophies.

[quote name='iggypop123']would it possible for me just to get the online pass and redeem it without having saints row 3? its 10 bucks, cheaper than the game they are giving away 20 bucks. i down own saints 3 so i wanted to make sure. shame it has no trophies.[/QUOTE]

That is what I was thinking...although it is a shame there are no trophies.

[quote name='iggypop123']would it possible for me just to get the online pass and redeem it without having saints row 3? its 10 bucks, cheaper than the game they are giving away 20 bucks. i down own saints 3 so i wanted to make sure. shame it has no trophies.[/QUOTE]

If you get an actual code you can redeem for the online pass, sure, it'd be possible to get Saints Row 2 that way. As for buying it on the PS store.. I doubt you could get Saints Row 2 for free by doing that, everything they've said on the blog leads to you needing to use an online pass that's included in the retail game to get it. I doubt they want you to pay only for the online pass to get it. I guess we won't know for sure until next week.

You're better off waiting until next week for confirmation on how it works rather than attempting anything yet. You have 90 days to do it, which is plenty of time.

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back