Renewed Sega Genesis Owner

looploop

CAGiversary!
Feedback
14 (100%)
When I was a kid I had a Genesis and loved it.(Especially Streets of Rage 2, Jungle Strike, M Ranger X, Gunstar Heroes, Sonic 3, X-Men 1&2, Cadash, Rocket Knight Adventures and Flashback to name a few)

This weekend my brother kicked a dusty Genesis Model 1 w/ Sega CD my way, so the good times with the Genny are here again. Anyone have some recommendations for building a new Genesis collection?
So far I'm thinking of picking up Ghouls N' Ghosts, Chakan and Target Earth.
Also Ranger X and Rocket Knight again. I would've loved to pick up Gunstar or Streets of Rage 2 but I already bought them on XBLA. But I guess there's still Streets of Rage 3!

I have no idea what's good for Sega CD besides Sonic CD and maybe the sequel to Out of This World though....

Thanks guys!

That's a good list to start with but add Vectorman, Phantasy star 2-3-4, contra, castlevania, Disney license games and any sonic game. Sega cd: snatcher and eternal championship are great games. Short list but there are many great games for both systems.

[quote name='ryosnk']Disney license games .[/QUOTE]

Isn't it funny how these used to be quality? These days, "license" games are just TRASH looking to make a quick buck.

Aladdin and Lion King for Genesis, FTW...

[quote name='lilboo']Isn't it funny how these used to be quality? These days, "license" games are just TRASH looking to make a quick buck.

Aladdin and Lion King for Genesis, FTW...[/QUOTE]

Back then it was about the product and care now it's about getting it out there and making a quick buck. But I think Disney takes care of there licenses more than other companies (dreamworks) and the games are above average compared to the other crappy license games.

I think you're looking back with nostalgia. I'll grant that the Disney licensed games are good, but almost every licensed game has always been trash. Pick up some of the old movie license games if you need a refresher...

This past summer I was given a Genesis with a bunch of games. No cables though. Where can I get the power and video cables?

Ah, the Sega Genesis. Streets of Rage 2. The memories...the memories...a truly remarkable game/system that's just as fun today as it was so many years ago.

Sega CD games are tricky because the best ones tend to be really pricy.

For example, Earthworm Jim Special Edition (I think that's what it's called) on Sega CD is fantastic but at over $40 (last I checked), I don't know if I can recommend it over the dirt cheap Genesis cartridge.

Both Lunar games are fantastic but pricy, same with Shining Force CD.

Final Fight on Sega CD was the best home port of the 16 bit era but it can be expensive.

Shining Force 1, 2, and CD. Shadowrun. NHL 94 for the Sega CD, Rise of the Dragon (if you like the old Sierra style adventures), and Ecco the Dolphin (CD, not Genesis).

[quote name='Metal Militia']Two sega genesis games I can't recommend enough are Contra: Hard Corps and Castlevania: Bloodlines. Both very solid titles![/QUOTE]

This.

Also, I suggest getting Trouble Shooter. Still one of my faves, I even spent 40 bucks on a translated rom cart of the sequel. As far as Sega CD goes...

Earthworm Jim
Popful Mail
Snatcher
Lords of Thunder
Lunar
Android Assault

I can't leave out my two all time faves on the Genesis and a little gem of an RPG

Shinobi III
Ranger X

Crusader of Centy(RPG)

Both games are fantastic, while Crusader of Centy filled my Zelda void as I never owned a SNES back then :|

I'm just starting to rebuild my Genesis library too! I'm happy so many games for it can still be found for so cheap.

Was already mentioned in the shmup thread I think, but Gaiares is fantastic. Also Strider, Wonder Boy in Monster World and Alien 3.

I really love the Mutant League games on the Genesis. Mutant League Football is the better of the two in my opinion. Also check out Spiderman/Venom Maximum Carnage, Vectorman (both 1 and 2 were great), and Zombies Ate My Neighbors

As for the Sega CD - Mickey Mania, Silpheed, and Sewershark are my top 3

Well I would recommend any game by Renovation like Gaiares, Ernest Evans, Valis III, El Viento. Also Powerball by Namco. Arcus Odyssey is also excellent.

[quote name='ryosnk']Back then it was about the product and care now it's about getting it out there and making a quick buck. But I think Disney takes care of there licenses more than other companies (dreamworks) and the games are above average compared to the other crappy license games.[/QUOTE]

It's always been about making a quick buck. It was just easier then. Platformers in the 16 bit era were well established. It was easy to mimic the best games and there were bunches of good platformers made. Dynamite Heady, Earthworm Jim, Sonic, Mario, Megaman, and the list goes on. Great games established dynamic.

Then the 3d era hit. There's not many good platformers from that era. Sure Mario 64 was a hit, but so many established non-licensed franchises failed, including Sonic and Megaman.

[quote name='soonersfan60']I think you're looking back with nostalgia. I'll grant that the Disney licensed games are good, but almost every licensed game has always been trash. Pick up some of the old movie license games if you need a refresher...[/QUOTE]

[sarcasm]Yes, bond for the 64 was awful, the bunches of star wars games (rogue squadron, battlefront, Knights of the old republic), all the old teenage mutant ninja turtle games, duck tales, batman[/sarcasm]

I think the problem is most of the licensed games are kid games(dora, cars, etc.), thus there is no chance any adult would ever like them.

In addition to the mentioned above
Musha
Truxton
both the X-Men
WARSONG!

I fell back in love with my Genesis after leaving it for Jaguar...yea totally bad move. I missed out on a lot of good games like the first two in my list. I finally was able to appreciate the hardware, because I got my genny after the snes and only picked up exclusives on it because I hated the limited color and sound. Check this genesis masterpiece out though
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqyEbu8cmMg

Splatterhouse series if you can find it and Ghostbusters are really good! Also, license games WERE awesome then! Just to name a few:

Animaniacs
Tiny Toon Adventures: Acme All Stars
Toy Story (still pretty impressive from a tech standpoint)

[quote name='venturin']This past summer I was given a Genesis with a bunch of games. No cables though. Where can I get the power and video cables?[/QUOTE]
The RF and AC adapters for the NES will work with the Genesis.

[quote name='ROB64']The RF and AC adapters for the NES will work with the Genesis.[/QUOTE]

Depends on which model. They work on a Genesis 1 model, but Genesis 2 has it's own specific cables, which are all cheap pieces of shit that end up with loose connectors and eventually just stop working all together.

Anyways, I can appreciate the Genesis love, I had a lot of it myself as a kid, but I just can't bring myself to find a whole lot of nostalgia in it these days. The games simply don't hold up anywheres near as well as Super Nintendo games do. Genesis games for the most part look and sound terrible, despite being older and less powerful, there are A LOT of games on the NES, let alone SNES, that have better graphics and sound than Sega Genesis games do. Just about everything worth playing is available on the Sonic's Genesis Collection for PS3 and XBox, so get that, and leave the memories alone.

[quote name='Luxuria']

Battletoads.[/QUOTE]

Gamestop usually has a lot of copies of this. Just call them up and ask them. :lol:

[quote name='ROB64']The RF and AC adapters for the NES will work with the Genesis.[/QUOTE]

You didn't say this, but i'd like to note that for anyone who uses different adapters form different systems on each other to check, some things work just fine, while certain things like the sega cd model 2 commonly will blow the fuse.

[quote name='spmahn']Depends on which model. They work on a Genesis 1 model, but Genesis 2 has it's own specific cables, which are all cheap pieces of shit that end up with loose connectors and eventually just stop working all together.

Anyways, I can appreciate the Genesis love, I had a lot of it myself as a kid, but I just can't bring myself to find a whole lot of nostalgia in it these days. The games simply don't hold up anywheres near as well as Super Nintendo games do. Genesis games for the most part look and sound terrible, despite being older and less powerful, there are A LOT of games on the NES, let alone SNES, that have better graphics and sound than Sega Genesis games do. Just about everything worth playing is available on the Sonic's Genesis Collection for PS3 and XBox, so get that, and leave the memories alone.[/QUOTE]

I see where you're coming from, but are you really playing oldschool games for video and sound quality? Seems slightly absurd.

Word of warning with using a NES adapter with a 2nd gen Sega CD...I did this with my setup when I first got it...and it worked. However, after awhile the sega cd went dead. I just chalked it up to it being an old system that I got from a flea market. Found another sega cd and the same thing happened. Dead system.

Turns out it is easy to blow the fuses on these.

Here's a link indicating that a NES power adapter will blow the fuse on a Sega CD Model 2: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=10494

Here's a link showing how to fix your blown fuse: http://www.gamespot.com/forums/topic/28661792/sega-cd-fuse-repair

So, find the appropriate sega cd power adapter for your system if you want to keep it alive ;)

Games to add, Lost World Jurassic Park game on the Genesis was one of the last released for the system and its really enjoyable, much more than the one released on PS1 and Saturn. Mutant League Football is great if you are a football fan. Comix Zone is a great one too.

As for Sega CD, all the best ones have been mentioned, Pitfall: The Mayan Adventure. Basically if a game is on the Genesis and Sega CD, go with the Sega CD, its usually the same game just better sound and sometimes a few added extras in the game.

Thunder Force IV is an awesome game, also Championship Pro-AM is good times.

Psycho Pinball or Dragon's Fury are good if you're looking for a pinball game, as is Sonic Spinball.

James Pond 2 and 3 are worth a look (Robocod and Operation Starfish I think they're called) as is the sunsoft Batman game. Dynamite Headdy was good, as is Ristar. Tiny Toon Adventures is another decent platformer.

Landstalker, Soleil or Light Crusader are decent action RPG's.

Robocop Vs Terminator is a decent scrolling shooter. As is the Terminator but it's very short.

Gunstar Heroes. That is all.

LOL. In all seriousness, Gunstar is hands down the best game on the system, in my opinion. There's some other classics such as: Castlevania Bloodlines, Contra Hard Corps, Comix Zone, and Sparkster. (Rocket Knight Adventures 2)

bread's done
Back