OnLive 5 Day Sale - $1 Games, Free To Play Games, & 75% Off

jasonpaul

CAG Veteran
OnLive Thanks Fans with FREE Play of Homefront & Red Faction Armageddon, 75% Off Sales & $1 Games

Sale / Promotion runs from Nov 23rd - Nov 28th, 2011 and includes:
- All New OnLive members can purchase their first game for only $1.00 or £1.00
- Various Sales on Games (Up to 75% Off)
- Red Faction: Armageddon Multiplayer is Free to Play
- HomeFront Multiplayer is Free to Play

More information at: http://onlivefans.com/news/onlive-t...faction-armageddon-75-off-sales-1-games/5113/

Enticing, doesn't look like the promos are live yet tho, at least not the $1 game

Edit: are you sure it starts today? When I log into onlive an ad for the deal says to check in tomorrow

Picked up Deus Ex from the last $1 first purchase deal, played about 5 minutes of it and quit. Noticable input lag, lossy image quality and what I can only assume to be medium/low graphics.

I've got a gaming PC, so this service definitely isn't for me.

[quote name='jasonpaul']Yeah, read the article in the link posted. It starts at 3:59PM PT today (6:69PM ET).[/QUOTE]

Gotcha thanks. Gonna get me some Arkham City.

[quote name='Hydro2Oxide']Picked up Deus Ex from the last $1 first purchase deal, played about 5 minutes of it and quit. Noticable input lag, lossy image quality and what I can only assume to be medium/low graphics.

I've got a gaming PC, so this service definitely isn't for me.[/QUOTE]

OnLive is the ultimate YMMV service. Works great for me in Los Angeles, but yeah, I recommend people try it out with a trial before putting any money towards it.

And yeah, having a gaming PC sort of removes a lot of its utility, but even then they usually have deals that no other service can match. (I've gotten Deus Ex for 50 cents, Space Marine for $8, Batman Arkham City for 18 bucks, etc.)

[quote name='stopmakingsense']OnLive is the ultimate YMMV service. Works great for me in Los Angeles, but yeah, I recommend people try it out with a trial before putting any money towards it.

And yeah, having a gaming PC sort of removes a lot of its utility, but even then they usually have deals that no other service can match. (I've gotten Deus Ex for 50 cents, Space Marine for $8, Batman Arkham City for 18 bucks, etc.)[/QUOTE]

Definitely do this. They have a hubs spread out across America but unless your close enough to one with good internet you might have to deal with lag.

Thanks OP for the heads up.

Even if you don't get lag, the image/graphic quality is pretty sub-par. You're better off buying the same games for 360/PS3/PC if you can afford them.

Agreed - people should definitely test it out first (and why not, they have free demo's).

But yeah, I'm playing Batman through OnLive cause I got it cheap. I've yet to experience any serious lag in my area. The fact that I can play these games on any of my old laptops and non gaming machines is great. And if you can get a game for $1...definitely worth a shot IMO.

If you haven't already bought a game on OnLive, there really isn't anything you have to lose. You can get your first game for $1.00 and that includes games like Batman Arkham City and Saints Row The Third. You really have nothing to lose.

[quote name='sunghost']Even if you don't get lag, the image/graphic quality is pretty sub-par. You're better off buying the same games for 360/PS3/PC if you can afford them.[/QUOTE]

Is it though? Maybe compared to PC but when I play games from the OL unit on my TV it looks just like a console game. I've seen the quality take a hit before during bad connections (blacks look especially grainy) but on a good connection the quality seems on par with consoles to me

[quote name='jasonpaul']If you haven't already bought a game on OnLive, there really isn't anything you have to lose. You can get your first game for $1.00 and that includes games like Batman Arkham City and Saints Row The Third. You really have nothing to lose.[/QUOTE]

I have to agree here. I doubt I'll ever buy another OnLive game again, but for $1, I got Space Marine, and I was pretty happy with it there.

[quote name='iamsmart']Is it though? Maybe compared to PC but when I play games from the OL unit on my TV it looks just like a console game. I've seen the quality take a hit before during bad connections (blacks look especially grainy) but on a good connection the quality seems on par with consoles to me[/QUOTE]

It might look better because you're sitting further away from your TV than you would compared to playing on onlive game on a PC/monitor. I've used onlive on my computer and it looks a lot worse than the 360/PS3 versions of the same game.. and I play my PS3/360 on my computer monitor. I can't imagine how it'd look the same, but I can see how the distance would make the lack of quality harder to notice.

[quote name='sunghost']Even if you don't get lag, the image/graphic quality is pretty sub-par. You're better off buying the same games for 360/PS3/PC if you can afford them.[/QUOTE]

Eh, I've seen the games look better than the console version. They have several tiers of hardware configs, so it can vary. Just Cause 2 looked noticeably better to me.

[quote name='sunghost']It might look better because you're sitting further away from your TV than you would compared to playing on onlive game on a PC/monitor. I've used onlive on my computer and it looks a lot worse than the 360/PS3 versions of the same game.. and I play my PS3/360 on my computer monitor. I can't imagine how it'd look the same, but I can see how the distance would make the lack of quality harder to notice.[/QUOTE]

The micro console does have some amount of hardware post-processing not available in the client, I've found. And yeah, sitting farther away from the screen makes a big difference, and things, if you are getting the highest bitrate, look close to the same.

[quote name='stopmakingsense']The micro console does have some amount of hardware post-processing not available in the client, I've found.[/QUOTE]

Ah, I didn't know that. Would make sense that it'd make the graphics better then. Looks terrible if you're playing it through their PC client though. I'd get a micro console if I could manage to obtain one for free lol.

They don't have Skyrim (at least not yet). The deal starts at 7PM ET (4PM PT). As for the number of $1 games they will give away, they haven't said.

[quote name='emnmnme']So this deal starts in 2 hours and there's a limited number of licenses? The tension is thick![/QUOTE]

I know... and my gf posted this on sd

Protip: run onlive in either a window or if at fullscreen lower your desktop resolution to 1280x800 or less.

The visuals still look mediocre to me, but they were unplayably bad at 1920x1200

color me interested.
if its cheap on onlive ill grab it, service has potential and i can get in running ok on my microconsole.

OnLive has their dollar promotion on again. The difference is this time instead of stopping it right before the new releases came out, it is on with some pretty good games.

Batman: Arkham City and Saints Row are both $1.00, only if you haven't bought something from them before.

Its worth checking out even if you aren't sure about OnLive.

Just log into OnLive (the application, not the website) and all the games should appear as $1.00.

Sounds like it would be good for running on a netbook or some other underpowered machines. Does anyone have some live (non-promo) screenshots? I imagine it would be like playing a game over a pixelated Real Video stream.

Also, how big is the client (MB) or does it just run in a browser?

Sounds like it would be good for running on a netbook or some other underpowered machines. Does anyone have some live (non-promo) screenshots? I imagine it would be like playing a game over a pixelated Real Video stream.

Also, how big is the client (MB) or does it just run in a browser?

[quote name='mikon']Sounds like it would be good for running on a netbook or some other underpowered machines. Does anyone have some live (non-promo) screenshots? I imagine it would be like playing a game over a pixelated Real Video stream.

Also, how big is the client (MB) or does it just run in a browser?[/QUOTE]

I bought Arkham City. The textures are muddy but keeping the resolution at 1024x768 helped things. It looks like you're playing on a standard-def television - no pixelated, not blurry, but not impressive, either. There was no lag in the controls, game loads up in ten seconds.

Client is something small like 8MB.

can you play local multiplayer? i have 2 laptops and would like to play a friend, also do you have to create multiple accountd and buy the same game twice?

Just got an email from Onlive (streaming game service for those that don't know). They're having a sale for people NOT currently subscribing to their play-pass thing, as well as having never purchased a game thru them.

From now until the 28th, you can get ANY game in their catalog for $1! This includes a BUNCH of new release games, as well as some older titles. Highlights include:

Batman: Arkham City
Deus Ex: Augmented Edition (they also have regular version, but get this!)
LA Noire Complete
Borderlands GOTY (unsure if online works with Steam users)
Just Cause 2
Metro 2033
RAGE
Saints Row 3

Didn't see this posted, hope someone enjoys this.

Here's a link showing what I mean.

*Edit*

I guess there was already a thread, and someone moved my post to it! Thanks :D

[quote name='emnmnme']I bought Arkham City. The textures are muddy but keeping the resolution at 1024x768 helped things. It looks like you're playing on a standard-def television - no pixelated, not blurry, but not impressive, either. There was no lag in the controls, game loads up in ten seconds.

Client is something small like 8MB.[/QUOTE]
Thanks for the mini-review. I might give the free games a try to see what it looks like.

Found some unofficial screenshots:

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e307/Mirrondowar/crysiscompressed.jpg

from: http://www.gamespot.com/forums/topic/27154355?&topic_id=27154355

http://www.yannalet.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/5.png

from: http://www.yannalet.com/2010/12/26/onlive-vs-steam/

Last edited by a moderator:
OnLive has been a great service for me. I probably have more than 20 games and have spent less than $150 since I became a member. I have a pretty decent internet connection, and I experience no lag whatsoever. It's true that the games don't look as good as they do if you're playing them locally, but after a couple minutes of playing, it's completely unnoticeable, in my opinion.

If you guys are joining the service for the $1 promotion, I think you should really consider also subscribing to the PlayPack. It's about $10 a month, and you get access to a ton of good games, but the other incentive is you also get 30% off of EVERY purchase you make, including new games or consoles. So that means you can get a newly released game for only $35, which saves you $15 from the get go. It actually pays for itself if you only make one new purchase a month.

OnLive has some really awesome new features upcoming, too. They're going to add a feature where you can have someone spectate your game, and if you're having some trouble with a particular level, you can give that person control of your game and let them beat it for you. That's such a fantastic idea and only one example of how OnLive is pushing innovation in the video game industry.

[quote name='Grave_Addiction']OnLive has some really awesome new features upcoming, too. They're going to add a feature where you can have someone spectate your game, and if you're having some trouble with a particular level, you can give that person control of your game and let them beat it for you. That's such a fantastic idea and only one example of how OnLive is pushing innovation in the video game industry.[/QUOTE]

They already have the spectate any game feature, but the giving control to someone is definitely new and cool. Another cool feature is that you can quit a game anywhere and pick up right where you stopped not worrying about a save point. This works when moving from a laptop to a microconsole or where ever you are playing the game from.

My only complaint with them is that the video looks bad. It is supposedly 720p, but I've seen let's play videos on YouTube that look better. Owning all of the console, and a high end PC I'm not really the target market. But the quality really hurts.

If you want to see what it looks like you can make an account for free. Then download the client which is 6MB or so and watch a few brag clips (another cool feature of 10secs of game play you can post for your friends or anyone to see), or just spectate someone. The video you are seeing is exactly what the service looks like for anyone playing. If you can put up with the graphics try out a game for 30mins and see if your connection has the lag issues some people report.

Overall it's a interesting service and where I see gaming move to. It will be hard to convince people to buy a Xbox 5XX or Playstation 5 if they can just subscribe to a service an play all the newest games right on their TVs. Onlive partnered with Vizio already, and I wouldn't be surprised to see other manufactures follow suit.

Well, I just installed it to look at the video quality. It's pretty much what I thought. It looks like a medium quality youtube video. Definitely lower quality than a good hi-res capture. It really doesn't compare to running locally on a decent GPU.

I can see the potential though. If they can get the quality up it could be a serious alternative for a lot of people. For now, I probably wouldn't spend more than $5 on buying to "own" one of their games at the current quality of the service.

It's cool to be able to browse random gameplay with spectator mode and check out all the different titles.

So I'm clear, there is no $1 game for existing customers? As in, no adding to my $1 Arkham asylum and .80 ac brotherhood?

[quote name='mikon']Well, I just installed it to look at the video quality. It's pretty much what I thought. It looks like a medium quality youtube video. Definitely lower quality than a good hi-res capture. It really doesn't compare to running locally on a decent GPU.

I can see the potential though. If they can get the quality up it could be a serious alternative for a lot of people. For now, I probably wouldn't spend more than $5 on buying to "own" one of their games at the current quality of the service.

It's cool to be able to browse random gameplay with spectator mode and check out all the different titles.[/QUOTE]

This is 100% exactly how I feel about onlive, if they could improve the graphics quality it'd be a great service, but all it has going for it right now is potential and I wouldn't pay more than $5 for anything on the service, like you said. The spectator mode is really cool, and the new features they're adding are great, but they need to start focusing on the video/graphic quality too.

I find it funny that people are complaining about a FREE service where you can demo any game for 30 minutes and that has frequent deals where you can score AAA games for a few bucks as well as grabbing old school PC games for dirt cheap.

So yea it has more then "potential." BTW the console is very good. I got it in a deal for free when I preordered war of the north.

Sure its not a high end PC but for those of us who don't have a high end pc its a pretty nice service especially if you want to play PC games.

Currently Amnesia is 7 bucks. Ghostbusters is 1.75. MLB 2k11 is 3.50. etc etc..

Tons of good deals. If you aren't a graphics junkie and can have fun with almost hd quality then go for it. I sure wouldn't pay 50 bucks for a game on there but seriously can you complain about a game for under 10 bucks?

PRO TIP: The bigger your TV the faster the connection you need. Also for the price of a new game you could grab the system on Ebay and just demo games all day.

Cool system and HOPEFULLY will only get better.
So anyways its got a lot going for it and signing up for the service doesn't even require a credit card I don't believe.

I'm a big steam fan but all I have these days is a netbook and even old school games don't run on it. So this is nice.

BTW Fallout (and 2 more fallout games in the future) just came out in the 9.99 a month playpack which, to me, at least seems to be a great deal considering the amount of games on there.

Anyways rant over get the console if you like the service its totally worth it.

Late edit. Wireless Mice and Keyboard (USB) work on this console as well and since all games have a PC equivalent its pretty nice to be able to use the M+K

onlive really needs to make it possible to buy games on their website. whenever they have some sort of sale, I am away from my desktop and fast internet for a few days and so I cant even log into the client. I dont really care too much since I dont see myself even using the service. Still, they could easily make that one dollar from me if they had that feature.

[quote name='JakeNome']onlive really needs to make it possible to buy games on their website. whenever they have some sort of sale, I am away from my desktop and fast internet for a few days and so I cant even log into the client. I dont really care too much since I dont see myself even using the service. Still, they could easily make that one dollar from me if they had that feature.[/QUOTE]

They actually just recently implemented the ability to purchase games from their website. You can also gift games to other people, too.

bread's done
Back