Official 2011-2012 NBA Season thread

Glad they got a deal. At least get to watch Dwight Howard in Orlando for a partial season rather than just watching him leave after lost season!

fuckin' finally! I thought this spring was going to be boring.

I have read that the decertification of the union brought this about. It will be interesting to see how this came about.

[quote name='Soodmeg']Hmmm, somehow I dont really care. Maybe when it starts back up but meh.[/QUOTE]

+1

I was hoping that everyone would just focus on college basketball, haha.

[quote name='Unickuta']+1

I was hoping that everyone would just focus on college basketball, haha.[/QUOTE]

College Basketball sucks. So glad to see that the NBA is coming back, even though it probably means the Mavs are fucked under the new CBA.

[quote name='CaseyRyback']College Basketball sucks. So glad to see that the NBA is coming back, even though it probably means the Mavs are fucked under the new CBA.[/QUOTE]

If the Mavs are fucked, that means the Lakers and Heat are really fucked. There would more than likely be an amnesty provision or delayed implementation of a reduced cap. No way they could expect clubs to comply immediately.

I'm also curious to see who is really out of shape. The last lockout effectively ended Shawn Kemp's career due to all the free time and his self destructive tendencies.

I still don't understand why they include an amnesty clause. In what world does it make sense to cry about losing money but then be allowed to pay a player the full value of his contract to no longer let him play on your team.

[quote name='Invicta 61']If the Mavs are fucked, that means the Lakers and Heat are really fucked. There would more than likely be an amnesty provision or delayed implementation of a reduced cap. No way they could expect clubs to comply immediately.

I'm also curious to see who is really out of shape. The last lockout effectively ended Shawn Kemp's career due to all the free time and his self destructive tendencies.[/QUOTE]

Let's be honest. Donuts ended Shawn Kemp's career.

[quote name='BigSpoonyBard']Let's be honest. Donuts ended Shawn Kemp's career.[/QUOTE]

Don't forget about Vin Baker.

It really does suck there is no Oliver Miller type player still in the league. That would be a sight to behold.

[quote name='CaseyRyback']I still don't understand why they include an amnesty clause. In what world does it make sense to cry about losing money but then be allowed to pay a player the full value of his contract to no longer let him play on your team.[/QUOTE]

I thought it was that if a player is cut by the amnesty clause, they are placed on waivers and the teams interested in that player puts in a bid on that player. Then the highest bidder is only responsible for the amount of the contract that they bid on while the team that released the player is responsible for the rest. So I guess the bid determines how much salary the team who cut their player by amnesty is going to have to pay. I think that s how it works?

Also the teams that are under the salary cap get the first crack at players who were cut by the amnesty clause.

One day I'm very looking forward to is December 9th because that means NBA Free Agency starts. Bulls have one very big glaring hole, and that is a SG. Both Jason Richardson and Jamal Crawford are unrestricted free agents and I'd love to pick up one of them. Keith Bogans please get the fuck out.

I dont think the league lost that many fans because the NFL is still going on. If they would have continued the lockout past the NFL season people would have paid attention a little more.

[quote name='docvinh']Sounds like the Nets are trying to go after Dwight Howard again.[/QUOTE]

Yep. Apparently are going to offer Brook Lopez and 2 future first round picks, along with being willing to take on Turkoglu's contract.

I hope Howard stays, but if it's clear he's not going to they have to make a trade and get something in return to rebuild on and not let him just walk after the season like they did with Shaq.

If he's going to leave, Lopez and two first rounders along with ditching Hedo would be a pretty tempting offer.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Yep. Apparently are going to offer Brook Lopez and 2 future first round picks, along with being willing to take on Turkoglu's contract.

I hope Howard stays, but if it's clear he's not going to they have to make a trade and get something in return to rebuild on and not let him just walk after the season like they did with Shaq.

If he's going to leave, Lopez and two first rounders along with ditching Hedo would be a pretty tempting offer.[/QUOTE]

That would be a great deal for them, although I'm not huge on Lopez.

I heard Portland is going to use its amnesty clause to cut Brandon Roy. If so somebody is gonna get an instant all-star if Roy can ever stay healthy. I'd love for the Bulls to pick him up, but no way he gets to them.

As a Bulls fan, I would love to sign Jason Richardson. If the Bulls do not pick up Keith Bogans option, then they will have the full $5 million mid level exception to use on J-Rich. Richardson has also stated recently that he has made a lot of money throughout his career and all he wants is a chance at a ring now. He would be starting shooting guard on a championship caliber team, what else could he want? Jason Richardson, please take a pay cut to join the Bulls :pray:

Just think of this starting 5

PG-Derrick Rose
SG-Jason Richardson
SF-Luol Deng
PF-Carlos Boozer
C-Joakim Noah

:drool:

[quote name='Metal Militia']I heard Portland is going to use its amnesty clause to cut Brandon Roy. If so somebody is gonna get an instant all-star if Roy can ever stay healthy. I'd love for the Bulls to pick him up, but no way he gets to them.

As a Bulls fan, I would love to sign Jason Richardson. If the Bulls do not pick up Keith Bogans option, then they will have the full $5 million mid level exception to use on J-Rich. Richardson has also stated recently that he has made a lot of money throughout his career and all he wants is a chance at a ring now. He would be starting shooting guard on a championship caliber team, what else could he want? Jason Richardson, please take a pay cut to join the Bulls :pray:

Just think of this starting 5

PG-Derrick Rose
SG-Jason Richardson
SF-Luol Deng
PF-Carlos Boozer
C-Joakim Noah

:drool:[/QUOTE]

As a Bulls fan, I would rather find a real low post presence, Boozer isn't going to cut it.

Chris Paul to the Lakers for Odom and Gasol, ouch. Now they'll try to get Howard for Bynum.

As much as I hate the Lakers, at least they'll prevent LeBron from ever winning a title.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='dafoomie']Chris Paul to the Lakers for Odom and Gasol, ouch. Now they'll try to get Howard for Bynum.

As much as I hate the Lakers, at least they'll prevent LeBron from ever winning a title.[/QUOTE]

Looking at that trade, what are the Rockets really getting out of this besides Gasol?

I can't see the Lakers having enough to offer the Magic now to get Howard. Maybe if it's a multi team deal I suppose.

The Nets rumored offer of Brook Lopez and two first round pics for Howard would be better--any picks the Lakers had would be very late first round with how good they'd be.

Or maybe a trade with a team like Minnesota for say Kevin Love and some others or picks etc.

[quote name='docvinh']Looking at that trade, what are the Rockets really getting out of this besides Gasol?[/QUOTE]
I don't really like K-Mart or Scola, but I also don't really like Gasol.

Now we know why Rondo's name was out there so much, the Hornets were putting it out there to drive up the price.

[quote name='ph33r m3']CP3 deal's off after owners flipped a bitch on Stern.

Hah suck a dick commish.[/QUOTE]

Good. I absolutely hate the "Superteam" era of the NBA (even as a Celtics fan, a team that recently won a title under much the same principle).

Paul to the Lakers isn't good for the league, I'm glad they're stopping this.

I don't see the big deal. The Hornets would gain 4 decent to good players and a 2012 first round draft pick for the All-Star who will leave either way next year. Isn't the goal to save the Hornets from true mediocrity... Paul can leave next year and West (i.e. Hornets #2) is most likely walking this year so what is saving this team... Which starting lineup would the NBA like...

A)
PG - Jarret Jack
SG - Marco Belinelli
SF - Trevor Ariza
PF - David Anderson
C - Emeka Okafor

or

B)
PG - Goran Dragic
SG - Kevin Martin
SF - Trevor Ariza
PF - Lamar Odom
C - Emeka Okafor

David Stern seems to be pointing to A and self-destruction of the team.

I don't understand this trade. It was terrible for all sides except the Hornets. The Lakers gut their interior and lose a hell of a lot of scoring. The Rockets gut their team for a guy on the downside of their prime. The Hornets get some dimes and quarters that could be a solid group with David West resigned.

[quote name='bvharris']Good. I absolutely hate the "Superteam" era of the NBA (even as a Celtics fan, a team that recently won a title under much the same principle).

Paul to the Lakers isn't good for the league, I'm glad they're stopping this.[/QUOTE]
How is it a superteam... they are giving up so much to obtain him. Pau Gasol IMO is a way better asset than Paul is. And with him they also deal Odom, a guy that is a huge mismatch. If anything, the Lakers get weaker. Let's be for real... no way Howard gets dealt to LA for injury prone Bynum. Sorry it won't be happening, especially when teams like NJ offer way better guys like Brook Lopez.

Gotta like how this whole lockout was to try to prevent shit like the heat from happening and now that its somewhat over we're right back to where we started. Its not the players fault there shitty teams time and time again fail to provide them with championship quality players. No one wants to be in a KG in Minnesota situation and i don't blame them one bit.

Season should have just stayed canceled, they should have tried to get the deal done when there was a chance to save a 72 game season but at this point 66 game season where there's multiple 3 game back to backs and 4 games in 5 nights situations for certain teams along with possible back to back playoff games gtfo with that bullshit, noone wants to see physically drained players or rested starters unless its the end of the season. Might as well put a asterisk on whoever gets the title.

[quote name='renique46']Gotta like how this whole lockout was to try to prevent shit like the heat from happening and now that its somewhat over we're right back to where we started. Its not the players fault there shitty teams time and time again fail to provide them with championship quality players. No one wants to be in a KG in Minnesota situation and i don't blame them one bit.

Season should have just stayed canceled, they should have tried to get the deal done when there was a chance to save a 72 game season but at this point 66 game season where there's multiple 3 game back to backs and 4 games in 5 nights situations for certain teams along with possible back to back playoff games gtfo with that bullshit, noone wants to see physically drained players or rested starters unless its the end of the season. Might as well put a asterisk on whoever gets the title.[/QUOTE]

Why do they need 66 games? You would think 55-60 games would be enough. Are they lengthening the season so that the playoffs start later this year? Why not just add a 2-4 weeks to the end of the season before playoffs start and drop 5-10 games.

So the Heat can have 3 super stars but the Lakers can't get CP3? wtf, it's not like the lakers are trading someone shitty, their trading pretty good players...

Yeah, I can't really see any reason for blocking the trade. Hornets were getting a decent return on Paul.

Maybe the league just plans to contract the hornets after this year? I'd think that would have been out by now if that was the case though.

Just weird all around.

I didn't know that the owners can just complain and get a trade nullified. Where were they when Lakers got Gasol from Memphis?

[quote name='Over easy']I didn't know that the owners can just complain and get a trade nullified. Where were they when Lakers got Gasol from Memphis?[/QUOTE]

The difference here is that the Hornets are currently owned by all the other NBA owners, so they have the say/vote on any moves the Hornets make until the league sells them to a new owner.

[quote name='Over easy']I didn't know that the owners can just complain and get a trade nullified. Where were they when Lakers got Gasol from Memphis?[/QUOTE]

The league owns the hornets so they can veto any proposed deal as long as the owners are against it. Potential owners are going to want a star so selling a team without CP3 on it means less money for the league. If CP3 goes the hornets are going to have to get a star in return.

I see. In that case, it's going to be tough for the Hornets to trade Paul then. This may be the best they can get for Paul.

Catching up on all the CP3/Lakers nixed deal news right now (I had finals tonight) and all I can say is: Wow. Not really surprising, but that's what makes it interesting.

Will be fun to see how this all breaks down.

As a huge Laker fan, I glad their getting rid of Odom. Stupid fuck go film your tv show elsewhere. I do think Gasol is a better player/better 2nd to Kobe than CP3.

Just when i thought the Orlando Tragic organization couldn't fail any harder they might actually do that 1 to 1 trade giving up brooke lopez for fucking d12 when Lopez dropped off significantly the past year to the point his own twin brother looked better than him. I guess there getting desperate like Denver did with the Melo situation

bread's done
Back