* * * * - 6 votes

Wii U - General Discussion Thread

#4741 ChunLiBarbie   Bloogablogglefliddlemliddle CAGiversary!   5539 Posts   Joined 7.4 Years Ago  

ChunLiBarbie

Posted 07 November 2013 - 06:26 PM

If 'don't feed the trolls' was a real life term, Blaster man would be stuffed and ready to POP!!!!!!!!!!!! from all the responses ya'll keep giving. I found Ignore much easier. 

Really wish this section of the consoles would pick up so I don't have to go checking some Wii U forum.

#4742 chimpmeister   Hates gimmicks CAGiversary!   4000 Posts   Joined 12.9 Years Ago  

chimpmeister

Posted 07 November 2013 - 07:09 PM

<snip>

In the meantime Nintendo's real problem with the Wii U continues to be how they are presenting it to consumers.

I disagree.  A lot of people say Nintendo's problem is marketing, but all the marketing in the world can't change the product itself into something different; and in this case, the product falls short.

#4743 Deader2818   Flipadelphia! CAGiversary!   11238 Posts   Joined 6.5 Years Ago  

Posted 07 November 2013 - 07:19 PM

I dont think you have ever used a Wii U nor owned one so frankly, you're opinion doesnt have much merit.

#4744 chimpmeister   Hates gimmicks CAGiversary!   4000 Posts   Joined 12.9 Years Ago  

chimpmeister

Posted 07 November 2013 - 07:19 PM

I dont think you have ever used a Wii U nor owned one so frankly, you're opinion doesnt have much merit.

I have used a Wii U, but thanks for your opinion on that anyway.  You shouldn't automatically assume that everyone who tries a Wii U will love it, because that's just not the case.

#4745 Richard Kain   The Kaiser CAGiversary!   2575 Posts   Joined 11.2 Years Ago  

Richard Kain

Posted 07 November 2013 - 08:24 PM

I disagree.  A lot of people say Nintendo's problem is marketing, but all the marketing in the world can't change the product itself into something different; and in this case, the product falls short.

The product in question is a video game system. It plays games just fine. It has a decent number of quality titles now. Games that are developed specifically for the hardware run great and play even better. There's no real problem with the product itself.

It's a combination of the mistakes in marketing, and the competition that the Wii U is facing. If the Wii U had been released in a vacuum, no one would have reason to complain. Taken on its own it is a fine video game console. But this is reality. And in its current context the Wii U had to launch against serious, entrenched, successful competition.

The PS3 and XBox 360 are a primary cause for the Wii U's distress. And why not? Both systems are comparable in general performance, have much larger and more robust catalogs, have substantial existing user bases, (important for multi-player focused titles) and are broadly supported by third party developers. And all of that is on top of the fact that they are also cheaper. And then you also have their successor systems on the near horizon. Anyone who expected the Wii U to make serious headway in this environment was deluding themselves.

Nintendo has a severe uphill battle ahead of them. It isn't because of their product, which is acceptable in its current state and can be constantly improved through firmware updates and software releases. It's because of the circumstances they find their product in.

#4746 Blaster man  

Blaster man

Posted 07 November 2013 - 08:54 PM

The xbox 360 and ps3 are a good point but then again people almost exclusively buy Nintendo hardware for Nintendo software. While you say that there is a lot out there, I actually disagree. What I see are a lot of niche titles and a new version of NSMB, Zelda WW remake, and a new version of the 3DS Mario. As far as I can tell, there is no Mario Galaxy game for Wii U.

#4747 Richard Kain   The Kaiser CAGiversary!   2575 Posts   Joined 11.2 Years Ago  

Richard Kain

Posted 07 November 2013 - 09:47 PM

The xbox 360 and ps3 are a good point but then again people almost exclusively buy Nintendo hardware for Nintendo software.

And a lot of those consumers will be quite happy to pick up a Wii U, when the price lowers and the games they really want arrive. For many Nintendo systems have become the Mario Kart box, or the Smash Bros box. We'll see a sharp uptick in hardware sales when those titles arrive.

And I do agree that we have yet to see a title that really "sells" the Wii U. There have been several titles that use the hardware effectively. But Nintendo themselves have yet to release a game that defines the system. The new 3D Mario World title will likely be excellent, but still may not be the game to convince people that they must have a Wii U.

At the same time, I would say that there are plenty of solid experiences to be had on the Wii U at this point. Thanks to the poor initial sales, a lot of these games can be had for less. I wouldn't try to pitch the Wii U as someone's primary system. But it is still quite deserving, and well worth having.

#4748 Blaster man  

Blaster man

Posted 07 November 2013 - 10:01 PM

And a lot of those consumers will be quite happy to pick up a Wii U, when the price lowers and the games they really want arrive. For many Nintendo systems have become the Mario Kart box, or the Smash Bros box. We'll see a sharp uptick in hardware sales when those titles arrive.

And I do agree that we have yet to see a title that really "sells" the Wii U. There have been several titles that use the hardware effectively. But Nintendo themselves have yet to release a game that defines the system. The new 3D Mario World title will likely be excellent, but still may not be the game to convince people that they must have a Wii U.

At the same time, I would say that there are plenty of solid experiences to be had on the Wii U at this point. Thanks to the poor initial sales, a lot of these games can be had for less. I wouldn't try to pitch the Wii U as someone's primary system. But it is still quite deserving, and well worth having.

I've always been a big fan of Mario Kart but the idea of the Gamepad is kind of a turn off.  Mario Kart is a multiplayer game I play with friends and family.  If someone get an advantage because of the screen on the gamepad such as a rear view mirror then that's going to be pretty lame.  Mario Kart is NOT an asymmetrical multiplayer game. 

#4749 MetalSlugger   :P CAGiversary!   2741 Posts   Joined 10.5 Years Ago  

MetalSlugger

Posted 07 November 2013 - 10:06 PM

I have used a Wii U, but thanks for your opinion on that anyway. You shouldn't automatically assume that everyone who tries a Wii U will love it, because that's just not the case.

Of course we should, because it's a great console. I have yet to see anyone IRL pick it up and not have fun with what the hardware offers. You just have terrible taste.

#4750 chimpmeister   Hates gimmicks CAGiversary!   4000 Posts   Joined 12.9 Years Ago  

chimpmeister

Posted 07 November 2013 - 10:50 PM

Of course we should, because it's a great console. I have yet to see anyone IRL pick it up and not have fun with what the hardware offers. You just have terrible taste.

Or maybe you just overlook the shortcomings of the console because you want those Nintendo games no matter what. That seems to be the general pattern for diehard fans; they automatically accept whatever Nintendo puts out because they just want more Mario, Zelda, DK, etc.

And pretty funny comment about me having "terrible taste", coming from someone with a godawful Billy Idol avatar, LOL! That is one ugly dude! :puke:

#4751 Richard Kain   The Kaiser CAGiversary!   2575 Posts   Joined 11.2 Years Ago  

Richard Kain

Posted 07 November 2013 - 11:08 PM

Or maybe you just overlook the shortcomings of the console because you want those Nintendo games no matter what. That seems to be the general pattern for diehard fans; they automatically accept whatever Nintendo puts out because they just want more Mario, Zelda, DK, etc.

I don't go to McDonalds for seafood, I go there for the fries. I don't go to Radio Shack for bed sheets, I go there for the transistors. I wouldn't buy a washing machine if I was trying to make toast. Of course I buy Nintendo systems to play Nintendo games. You don't buy a Microsoft system to AVOID Halo.

It makes no sense to try to hold this up as a negative. Nintendo is one of the most accomplished, veteran developers in existence. Their games and gaming hardware are known for exceptional design, quality and polish. Wanting Nintendo systems to enjoy Nintendo-developed games is perfectly rational.

As to the "shortcomings" of the system, the primary problem I've had is the slower-than-usual interface. I could do with a bit more polish in that department. Aside from that I haven't had any issues. The system itself is stable and quiet. The gamepad works well, and I've enjoyed several games that were designed with it in mind. I think most of the shortcomings you have in mind are simply comparative to it's competition.

#4752 Josh5890   For AC New Leaf 3DS- 3110-4025-7228 CAGiversary!   3025 Posts   Joined 9.7 Years Ago  

Posted 08 November 2013 - 01:52 AM

Anyone play Wii Sports Club yet. I see potential in it but the lag online is tough sometimes.

#4753 jza1218   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   4893 Posts   Joined 14.6 Years Ago  

Posted 08 November 2013 - 03:07 AM

Does this thread ever stop being about bashing?

#4754 pitfallharry219  

pitfallharry219

Posted 08 November 2013 - 03:19 AM

Does this thread ever stop being about bashing?

It can be fine if you utilize the ignore list.

#4755 jza1218   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   4893 Posts   Joined 14.6 Years Ago  

Posted 08 November 2013 - 06:34 PM

Score! I just checked out the Wii Eshop as opposed to the WiiU one and noticed the previous owner downloaded F-Zero X, Mario Party 2, Super Mario 64, Super Mario 3 and Sonic 2.

#4756 theflicker   Hurm. CAGiversary!   1704 Posts   Joined 13.8 Years Ago  

theflicker

Posted 08 November 2013 - 07:56 PM

Score! I just checked out the Wii Eshop as opposed to the WiiU one and noticed the previous owner downloaded F-Zero X, Mario Party 2, Super Mario 64, Super Mario 3 and Sonic 2.

Nice score. That's like $40 in value.

#4757 Billytwoshoes   Perpetually behind the times CAGiversary!   1824 Posts   Joined 6.2 Years Ago  

Billytwoshoes

Posted 08 November 2013 - 08:55 PM

Besides Sonic 2, all of those other titles were Club Nintendo rewards offered in the past.  Could just be a coincidence, but I think that's funny.

#4758 MetalSlugger   :P CAGiversary!   2741 Posts   Joined 10.5 Years Ago  

MetalSlugger

Posted 08 November 2013 - 11:47 PM

Anyone play Wii Sports Club yet. I see potential in it but the lag online is tough sometimes.

I only played Bowling online so no lag issues for me.

This is what Nintendo should've filled the first half of the year with. Super fun.

#4759 miyamotorola   I have mild to moderate eczema CAGiversary!   3534 Posts   Joined 5.3 Years Ago  

miyamotorola

Posted 10 November 2013 - 06:32 PM

:o it's amazing how the hipster trolls have any time at all to socialize or play games when they're online 24/7 just waiting for someone to post something about Wii U. :\ Then they bitch about the popular games on other consoles a few months after release. One day it's the bee's knees.. the next it's total mainstream garabe. e_e

#4760 Sequelcast   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   59 Posts   Joined 8.3 Years Ago  

Sequelcast

Posted 11 November 2013 - 01:27 PM

I just picked up Earthbound on the Virtual Console and have been enjoying it. When my wife and I have company over, we often will play the "Sketch" multiplayer mode that's like Pictionary. We've also been slowly working our way through New Super Mario Bros. U. It's harder than the one on the Wii; if you could save (not just quick save) after each level instead of after every fortress or dungeon, we'd be playing that one more. 

#4761 MetalSlugger   :P CAGiversary!   2741 Posts   Joined 10.5 Years Ago  

MetalSlugger

Posted 11 November 2013 - 02:20 PM

I just picked up Earthbound on the Virtual Console and have been enjoying it. When my wife and I have company over, we often will play the "Sketch" multiplayer mode that's like Pictionary. We've also been slowly working our way through New Super Mario Bros. U. It's harder than the one on the Wii; if you could save (not just quick save) after each level instead of after every fortress or dungeon, we'd be playing that one more. 

We had a friend over last night and played Sketch for about an hour.  I FINALLY had a reason to draw a big dick for a clue, but I couldn't figure out how to draw the other clue to make "Shuttlecock" (yes, I know what a shuttlecock is but how can you get a prompt with -cock in it and NOT draw a giant penis?).  My shuttle ended up looking like a malformed cinder block.  We laughed our asses off when my wife got "Rodin's Thinker" as a prompt...well played Nintendo, well played.

I found NSMBU/NSLU much easier to play solo.  The multiplayer is fun but it's too easy to mess up the other players and prevent making  real progress.

#4762 Javery   Drug-Dealer-Keeper-Awayer CAGiversary!   22419 Posts   Joined 14.8 Years Ago  

Posted 11 November 2013 - 02:23 PM

Man... I was totally going to buy a Wii U last week but I missed out on that $250 Mario bundle deal and now I can't seem to be able to pull the trigger on it - I'm afraid once I do there will be another crazy sale I'll miss out on!  I have to get it before Christmas so there's no rush but I'd like to pay for it in November so it won't sting as much in December with all the other gift buying.

#4763 dmaul1114   Banned Banned   24688 Posts   Joined 13.7 Years Ago  

dmaul1114

Posted 11 November 2013 - 05:53 PM

Man... I was totally going to buy a Wii U last week but I missed out on that $250 Mario bundle deal and now I can't seem to be able to pull the trigger on it - I'm afraid once I do there will be another crazy sale I'll miss out on!  I have to get it before Christmas so there's no rush but I'd like to pay for it in November so it won't sting as much in December with all the other gift buying.

Wal-mart has a deal for the 32GB model with Nintendoland OR Wind Waker HD (pick one bundle or the other) and a $25 gift card currently.

http://www.walmart.c...type=10&veh=aff

#4764 Billytwoshoes   Perpetually behind the times CAGiversary!   1824 Posts   Joined 6.2 Years Ago  

Billytwoshoes

Posted 11 November 2013 - 06:04 PM

We've also been slowly working our way through New Super Mario Bros. U. It's harder than the one on the Wii; if you could save (not just quick save) after each level instead of after every fortress or dungeon, we'd be playing that one more. 

I honestly have no clue why Nintendo kept the archaic save after Fortress / Dungeon from SMW in the new titles, it just doesn't make any sense.  The Quick Save mostly keeps it functional, but it still is pretty asinine to not have the option after every level.

Of course in NSMB Wii you "unlock" the ability to save anywhere after you beat the game...

#4765 dmaul1114   Banned Banned   24688 Posts   Joined 13.7 Years Ago  

dmaul1114

Posted 11 November 2013 - 06:12 PM

Of course in NSMB Wii you "unlock" the ability to save anywhere after you beat the game...

Same in NSMBU.  It is stupid to not just have that option from the get go though.

#4766 foltzie   Member Title CAGiversary!   3199 Posts   Joined 14.4 Years Ago  

Posted 11 November 2013 - 06:25 PM

Same in NSMBU.  It is stupid to not just have that option from the get go though.

You can in effect do that with Quicksave, but someone at Nintendo really likes the throwback to SMW.

#4767 Sinfulfate   The Podfather CAGiversary!   1196 Posts   Joined 8.6 Years Ago  

Posted 11 November 2013 - 08:35 PM

The product in question is a video game system. It plays games just fine. It has a decent number of quality titles now. Games that are developed specifically for the hardware run great and play even better. There's no real problem with the product itself.

It's a combination of the mistakes in marketing, and the competition that the Wii U is facing. If the Wii U had been released in a vacuum, no one would have reason to complain. Taken on its own it is a fine video game console. But this is reality. And in its current context the Wii U had to launch against serious, entrenched, successful competition.

The PS3 and XBox 360 are a primary cause for the Wii U's distress. And why not? Both systems are comparable in general performance, have much larger and more robust catalogs, have substantial existing user bases, (important for multi-player focused titles) and are broadly supported by third party developers. And all of that is on top of the fact that they are also cheaper. And then you also have their successor systems on the near horizon. Anyone who expected the Wii U to make serious headway in this environment was deluding themselves.

Nintendo has a severe uphill battle ahead of them. It isn't because of their product, which is acceptable in its current state and can be constantly improved through firmware updates and software releases. It's because of the circumstances they find their product in.

Is the Wii U a fine video game console though? I've been debating whether or not to pick one up since they sell for so cheap on craigslist but I fear the Wii U will be just like the 3DS. I bought a 3DS for $65 off craigslist earlier this year and I haven't turned it on since July. Nintendo IPs don't really interest me anymore and Nintendo IPs and some niche Japanese games are all the games the 3DS seems to get.  The Wii U seems to be in the same boat and I think that's its biggest problem.  Nintendo needs to branch out and make new IPs to try to appeal to a wider audience.

I don't even understand why Nintendo doesn't make new IPs anymore.  They have plenty of money and they love wasting it on games no one is asking for.  Seriously, why was Wario Land Shake it and Star Fox 64 3DS even made?  The vita is selling pretty poorly but that hasn't stopped Sony from making both new IPs(PS All Stars, Soul Sacrifice, Gravity Rush, Destiny of Spirits, Tearaway, etc) and established franchises(Uncharted, Wipeout, Resistance, Killzone, Little Big Planet, etc) for it.  If Sony can do this for the Vita, I don't see why Nintendo can't do the same for their consoles.

#4768 foltzie   Member Title CAGiversary!   3199 Posts   Joined 14.4 Years Ago  

Posted 11 November 2013 - 08:50 PM

Is the Wii U a fine video game console though? I've been debating whether or not to pick one up since they sell for so cheap on craigslist but I fear the Wii U will be just like the 3DS. I bought a 3DS for $65 off craigslist earlier this year and I haven't turned it on since July. Nintendo IPs don't really interest me anymore and Nintendo IPs and some niche Japanese games are all the games the 3DS seems to get.  The Wii U seems to be in the same boat and I think that's its biggest problem.  Nintendo needs to branch out and make new IPs to try to appeal to a wider audience.

I don't even understand why Nintendo doesn't make new IPs anymore.  They have plenty of money and they love wasting it on games no one is asking for.  Seriously, why was Wario Land Shake it and Star Fox 64 3DS even made?  The vita is selling pretty poorly but that hasn't stopped Sony from making both new IPs(PS All Stars, Soul Sacrifice, Gravity Rush, Destiny of Spirits, Tearaway, etc) and established franchises(Uncharted, Wipeout, Resistance, Killzone, Little Big Planet, etc) for it.  If Sony can do this for the Vita, I don't see why Nintendo can't do the same for their consoles.

The Wii U is a fine system with some limitations that are very annoying in 2013 (see account system). Its biggest issue is that it offers little to nothing for the groups that love XBL and PSN and the games that leverage those platforms.

Regarding new IPs, there is a post that floats about highlighting that Nintendo has created over 50 new IPs since 2001. Recently they have created Crashmo/Pushmo, Dillon's Rolling Western, and Steel Diver on the 3DS. Now, those may not be your cup of tea (I think I'm the only person who liked Steel Diver), but while its true that Nintendo keeps its stalwarts about, it isnt beyond making a new IP if the mechanics justify doing so or perhaps on a whim.

#4769 DNukem170   Banned Banned   8864 Posts   Joined 12.7 Years Ago  

DNukem170

Posted 11 November 2013 - 09:13 PM

Nintendo IPs don't really interest me anymore and Nintendo IPs and some niche Japanese games are all the games the 3DS seems to get.

Heh. That's pretty much all I play.

Nintendo has made a bunch of new IPs. Problem is they are either Japan-only or download-only.

#4770 Richard Kain   The Kaiser CAGiversary!   2575 Posts   Joined 11.2 Years Ago  

Richard Kain

Posted 11 November 2013 - 09:26 PM

Nintendo IPs don't really interest me anymore and Nintendo IPs and some niche Japanese games are all the games the 3DS seems to get.  The Wii U seems to be in the same boat and I think that's its biggest problem.  Nintendo needs to branch out and make new IPs to try to appeal to a wider audience.

If the games that Nintendo is known for producing don't appeal to you, then no, you probably shouldn't acquire a Wii U. If their style of game isn't your cup of tea, there's nothing wrong with giving their current hardware iteration a pass. Different strokes for different folks.

It is important to differentiate this distinction from the quality of the system, or from "IP" as you put it.

Looking at a hardware platform separate from it's content offerings will tell you about the quality of it's design. In this regard the Wii U is at least above average. The biggest issues it has are in its on-line server and interface features, and some of the more annoying quirks of its firmware interface. All of those flaws can be fixed or at least refined post-launch through software updates. Expected improvements and refinements to its on-line services are both possible and likely. (though it could take them awhile) As a hardware platform for playing games, the Wii U is a very quality system. The design is stable and performs well. The gamepad behaves as expected, and offers numerous gameplay possibilities. It's a fine system. The issue at the moment is that it simply hasn't gotten very many games. (and only a few of those have used it's features properly)

The IP issue is also one to be cautious in defining. Nintendo's IP doesn't have to appeal in order for their games to work. Nintendo uses their powerful IP as a way of enticing players who are either young, or grew up with Nintendo when they were young. And in that regard it works quite well. But the real development strength of Nintendo has been in core gameplay experiences. They simply use their IP as a coat of paint for these excellent mechanics. We've seen numerous examples in the past. But it isn't the Mario/Zelda/Kirby veneer that makes these games exceptional. They stand just fine on their own. Give them a different IP and they would still be great games.

Most people who are clamoring for new IP are just looking for a new veneer more in keeping with their current tastes. This is a short-term solution, and not really worth pursuing.